Salute for a sequel?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Salute for a sequel? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Salute for a sequel? - 6/7/2012 9:45:26 AM   
MuckyMuckMan

So, I revisited The Salute Of The Jugger last night, years and years after owning it on VHS and I still loved it. There is an obvious lack of budget to the movie but it still works for me and after watching it I thought, there should be a sequel with a larger budget, bigger stars and better fight choreography. Maybe have Rutger Hauer as the mentor of a new bunch of Juggers leading them back into the city and entering the league competition rather than just a challenge with the ultimate Juggers.

Or if not a sequel, considering how many re-makes there are at the moment, how about a re-make?

My Film Collection:
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/MuckyMuckMan
Last 5 films seen
The Impossible 3.5/5
Stoker 4/5
Thor: Dark World 3.5/5
The Wolfman (1941) 4/5
All is Lost 5/5
Post #: 1
RE: Salute for a sequel? - 6/7/2012 1:30:18 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I'm amazed anyone remembers Salute of the Jugger! I always enjoyed this film too, but i guess it got heaped in with a lot of the post Mad Max Apocalypse type movies. I say a reboot or reimagining would be good, but then if we're gonna get that, it's really time for that new Mad Max to start shooting...

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to MuckyMuckMan)
Post #: 2
RE: Salute for a sequel? - 6/7/2012 2:28:52 PM   
Russ Whitfield

I know someone who studied the game and actually had rules for both live action and table top matches.

Jugger is a brilliant movie... and great fodder for a remake/re-imagining. Its such a cult classic, but I think this is one that could benefit from a revamp - unlike, say, Starship Troopers or RoboCop or (whisper it so they don't hear and start the ball rolling again) Escape from New York. Stay.The.Fuck.Away.From.Escape.From.New.York. you hack bastards.

I don't think its sequel-bait.... but reboot bait, yes, as long as the proper respect was paid the the original. There'd be no need to amp-up the game in the wilderness, for instance (I can see people riding around around on motorbikes, swinging chains and shit... that's not the game!)... Keeping the faith would be awesome.

I'm all for it, lets start a fund on that website... you know the one - where people put in money to help impoverished film-makers.

www.soldiergirlsmovie.com/
www.i-spimovie.com/

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 3
RE: Salute for a sequel? - 7/7/2012 10:32:53 AM   
BudBaxter

Saw the box on the shelf in the video store many times in my youth, but always avoided it because it had the stupidest title I'd ever seen for a movie.

Still haven't seen it. Still a stupid title.

(in reply to Russ Whitfield)
Post #: 4
RE: Salute for a sequel? - 7/7/2012 2:30:06 PM   
vader100

Weird, I only put it on my lovefilm list last week after being reminded of it recently. As I remember Rutger was awesome but not much else is coming back.

You can't take the sky from me

(in reply to BudBaxter)
Post #: 5
RE: Salute for a sequel? - 7/7/2012 6:13:27 PM   
MuckyMuckMan

Glad to see some love for it on here! I think there are great performances all over. Joan Chen, Vincent D'onofrio and Delroy Lindo are great. Rutger Hauer is the star performer in this though! He comes across as a loveable rogue with plenty of compassion considering he batters the brains out of people throughout the film. I think we need to get a petition going for a reboot at least, howabout it Empire? Use your contacts to get it made!

My Film Collection:
Last 5 films seen
The Impossible 3.5/5
Stoker 4/5
The Wolfman (1941) 4/5
All is Lost 5/5

(in reply to vader100)
Post #: 6
RE: Salute for a sequel? - 9/7/2012 9:49:08 AM   
Russ Whitfield

I've had a look at some reviews... and to be fair, it seems that those who saw it "back in the day" have fond memories, but the movie doesn't stack up when the rose tinted specs are off. Some of it must appear corny now, the choreography for the matches probably isn't great... I think the movie's perceived flaws are more to do with the sophistication of the audience than any issues with the concept. I mean, it was written by the bloke who wrote the script for Blade Runner and 12 Monkeys (that's a good name for a band... "Blade Runner and the 12 Monkeys").

You just have to hope that someone in a studio with a suit and chequebook loves the movie as much as we do!

www.soldiergirlsmovie.com/
www.i-spimovie.com/

(in reply to MuckyMuckMan)
Post #: 7
RE: Salute for a sequel? - 9/7/2012 7:27:58 PM   
vader100

quote:

ORIGINAL: Russ Whitfield

I've had a look at some reviews... and to be fair, it seems that those who saw it "back in the day" have fond memories, but the movie doesn't stack up when the rose tinted specs are off. Some of it must appear corny now, the choreography for the matches probably isn't great... I think the movie's perceived flaws are more to do with the sophistication of the audience than any issues with the concept. I mean, it was written by the bloke who wrote the script for Blade Runner and 12 Monkeys (that's a good name for a band... "Blade Runner and the 12 Monkeys").

You just have to hope that someone in a studio with a suit and chequebook loves the movie as much as we do!

I would say that makes it perfect for a reboot.

You can't take the sky from me

Post #: 8
RE: Salute for a sequel? - 9/7/2012 10:04:02 PM   
MuckyMuckMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Russ Whitfield

Hence the reason I said it could do with a better fight choreographer, but even with most of the fight scenes being slightly dodgy (there are a couple of decent fight scenes) for some reason I still love the film. Reboot needed even more now!

My Film Collection:
Last 5 films seen
The Impossible 3.5/5
Stoker 4/5
The Wolfman (1941) 4/5
All is Lost 5/5

Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Salute for a sequel? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI