Easy Reads

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Easy Reads Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Easy Reads - 5/7/2012 10:48:04 PM   
Harley Quinn

My concentration levels are rubbish at the moment so am looking for books that are easy to read.

I'm reading the Agatha Raisin series at the moment about a 50 something who solves murders in the Cotswolds written by the same person who wrote Hamish Macbeth. Am looking for anything in the same vein really.

Give me your tips and recommendations please.

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

Post #: 1
RE: Easy Reads - 5/7/2012 10:52:16 PM   
elab49

When my head doesn't work properly I often go back and reread most of Agatha Christie for comfort reads. I don't like Agatha Raisin, but I did also used to read the Hamish MacBeth books to pass the time without needing too much concentration (not remotely like the series) - have you tried those?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Harley Quinn)
Post #: 2
RE: Easy Reads - 6/7/2012 12:36:17 AM   
Harley Quinn

Thanks elab I've never read any Hamish Macbeth I did pick up the first of his books today but thought the blurb seemed a bit bleak. Will give him a try. Thanks.

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 3
RE: Easy Reads - 6/7/2012 1:30:16 PM   
Super Hans

They're not very well written I don't think (someone churning out 6-12 novels a year could surely only be described as a 'hack'), but from what I've read, James Patterson's books are the very definition of an easy read.  Miniscule chapters and quite samey storylines.  He's written - well 'co-written' at least - dozens, although I read about 5 I think before I got a bit bored.

I read a Peter James book recently, 'Perfect People'.  I really enjoyed it and, mainly due to short chapter length, found it to be quite an easy read but quite substantial at the same time!

Having just read your OP again, I'm not sure they're exactly like the books you described, but both crime/detective type novels.

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

Post #: 4
RE: Easy Reads - 7/7/2012 12:20:43 AM   
Harley Quinn

Thanks Super Hans I've read a lot of James Patterson his earlier books are fantastic very dark and full of jumps then he started to churn book out, which dilated them. But Jack & Jill, along came a spider are fantastic.

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 5
RE: Easy Reads - 9/7/2012 8:23:50 PM   
Super Hans

Yeah, Along Came a Spider and Kiss the Girls, they were both good I thought. Apart from that I read Four Blind Mice, The Jester and one of the womens' murder club ones (randomly found on holiday), which were pretty forgettable for me.

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Easy Reads Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI