Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: 3D Theory applied to R-Rating

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: 3D Theory applied to R-Rating Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 3D Theory applied to R-Rating - 4/7/2012 12:51:40 PM   
st3veebee

I'm presuming this two edit system would only be for certain films? Horror films of a strong nature would hardly be edited, only films that have a younger audience that can't get into them and, more importantly, would be happy enough to see an edited version.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to blue_lion)
Post #: 31
RE: 3D Theory applied to R-Rating - 4/7/2012 12:54:18 PM   
The Big Guy

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
For more complex and mature films, themes will be so ingrained I'd have thought those kind of cuts must be more difficult, if not impossible?

I for one would like to see the PG version of Tyrannosaur, in which Peter Mullan and Olivia Colman bond over her husband's decision to never let her hold the remote control. The scene where he wags his finger in front of his neighbour's dog, while telling the neighbour the morally right thing to do will be a stand out scene.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 32
RE: 3D Theory applied to R-Rating - 4/7/2012 12:54:33 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Maybe the premium  should be for the PG13

If a film was made as an R, that is how it was meant to be seen. A PG13 version is an edited down one for da children, and as such is in fact the alternative cut. Charge more for that I say.

So you'd be paying more for less movie?

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 33
RE: 3D Theory applied to R-Rating - 4/7/2012 12:56:55 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

I'm presuming this two edit system would only be for certain films? Horror films of a strong nature would hardly be edited, only films that have a younger audience that can't get into them and, more importantly, would be happy enough to see an edited version.

Because for kids who want to sneak into older showings there isn't much cachet in going legit with the kiddy versions.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 4/7/2012 12:58:20 PM >

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 34
RE: 3D Theory applied to R-Rating - 4/7/2012 1:33:23 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Maybe the premium  should be for the PG13

If a film was made as an R, that is how it was meant to be seen. A PG13 version is an edited down one for da children, and as such is in fact the alternative cut. Charge more for that I say.

So you'd be paying more for less movie?

Well I don't see how it is fair for someone to pay more to see the film as it was suppose to be. And remember it might not mean the movie is longer is shorter. The bad bits could have been removed digitally for instance.

If someone wants to see a compromised version of the film, then why shouldn't they pay more? That should be the premimum service, not the other way around. But alas it is not to be...

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 35
RE: 3D Theory applied to R-Rating - 4/7/2012 1:36:16 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Big Guy

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
For more complex and mature films, themes will be so ingrained I'd have thought those kind of cuts must be more difficult, if not impossible?

I for one would like to see the PG version of Tyrannosaur, in which Peter Mullan and Olivia Colman bond over her husband's decision to never let her hold the remote control. The scene where he wags his finger in front of his neighbour's dog, while telling the neighbour the morally right thing to do will be a stand out scene.

I like you.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to The Big Guy)
Post #: 36
RE: 3D Theory applied to R-Rating - 4/7/2012 2:49:34 PM   
FoximusPrime

quote:

ORIGINAL: Russ Whitfield

Precisely. As Elab pointed out, this really can't apply to proper grown up movies, but for the AvPs, Resident Evils, Expendables and all those sorts of things, we tend to get 15 rated movies for what really ought to be 18 rated movies. As I say, I'd happily pay a few quid more and not have the "lite" version.

The issue would seem to boil down to quality and the question, "how best to sell our steaming pile of shit to the largest possible audience?" rather than, "which is the best possible version of this film that we can make, regardless of target audience?"

Obviously, studios are businesses but, if they just keep churning out the same old "halfway house" shite, eventually even the most idiotic audience member will tire of it (surely?). Two (theatrical) version would just dilute the "product", which any suit knows isn't viable in the long run. Unless it's a franchise about a tough talking homeopath.

The answer is most definitely not to fleece people even more for the chance to see the "intended" cut, it is to simply make a complete film in the first place that possesses such quality that it would make up the feared shortfall from excluding a younger audience.

Spoiler colour: #F1F1F1

(in reply to Russ Whitfield)
Post #: 37
RE: 3D Theory applied to R-Rating - 4/7/2012 3:45:50 PM   
Spaldron

I've been a frequent advocate of studios releasing both versions of the film simultaneously (in the case of R films that have been cut that is, like Die Hard 4.0, EX etc) as they already do it on dvd. The issue is whether or not they should charge more in which I say no, just give the customer the choice instead of choosing for them.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to FoximusPrime)
Post #: 38
RE: 3D Theory applied to R-Rating - 4/7/2012 4:00:19 PM   
Hood_Man

I think with the DVD and Blu Ray releases coming out so soon after the theatrical releases these days, I just don't see much of a point to this, and I imagine that rather than being greeted with enthusiasm like 3D was a few years ago (and still is I believe, even if it's a bit more muted these days), it would be greeted to the magnified and multiplied sound of "why?".

It's not really similar to 3D prices either since most people can only experience it at the cinema, whereas anyone with a DVD player could watch a different version of the film a few months down the line.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 39
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: 3D Theory applied to R-Rating Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI