Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: SIZE DOES MATTER

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: SIZE DOES MATTER Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: SIZE DOES MATTER - 6/7/2012 8:03:50 AM   
James2183

It barely made its money back I do believe. $125m budget. Made just over $260m worldwide.

My point still stands about the rest of the examples though

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 61
RE: SIZE DOES MATTER - 6/7/2012 1:28:35 PM   
Cool Breeze

I havnt read the books and like Cruise in most of his films but the trailer makes it look and sound like a Jason Statham movie and Cruise does look miscast.His voice is too '' nice guyish '' for such a supposed bad ass.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 62
RE: SIZE DOES MATTER - 6/7/2012 4:28:08 PM   
Wild about Wilder

Looks more like a Statham or Rock vehicle.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 63
RE: SIZE DOES MATTER - 6/7/2012 5:29:55 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: miorandmior

All this talk about the critics being silly about the height /look issue ignores the fact that the critics are mostly, if not all, ardent readers and followers of the reacher books. All of whom by the way put Mr Child and the reacher books on the map. People tend to forget that and apparently so has mr.child. if you havent read the book or not an existing fan then the movie will be just fine with cruise in it. BUT if you are a fan then the movie will more than likely be a piece of dribble. Just another action movie with cruise as the hero - no different from any other cruise movie. so please indulge the people who 'made' Mr.Child anf forgive them their despair. if anyone otehr than the fans would btiehr to read the book, the whole thing about reacher is his size - its mentioned in every otehr page of the books. its the reason he talks the he does, acts the way he does and deal with things the way he does. lets face it if someone like cruise tries to act like Reacher itll be be just unbeleivalbe. A 5'7" guy does not kick ass the same way a 6'5" guy does - except may be in cruise movies.

Bruce Lee - 5ft 7".

Here endeth the lesson.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to miorandmior)
Post #: 64
Meh - 6/7/2012 6:49:18 PM   
Dr Headache Rushing

I'm sure this will be a decent action flick. However, to me at least, this will not be Jack Reacher. Not the Jack Reacher that I've been avidly reading about for years anyway. Finding it very hard to look forward to this film I'm afraid.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 65
Meh - 6/7/2012 6:49:33 PM   
Dr Headache Rushing

I'm sure this will be a decent action flick. However, to me at least, this will not be Jack Reacher. Not the Jack Reacher that I've been avidly reading about for years anyway. Finding it very hard to look forward to this film I'm afraid.

Post #: 66
Meh - 6/7/2012 6:49:43 PM   
Dr Headache Rushing

Post #: 67
RE: SIZE DOES MATTER - 6/7/2012 7:59:23 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: James2183

It barely made its money back I do believe. $125m budget. Made just over $260m worldwide.

My point still stands about the rest of the examples though

According to box office mojo, it was 345 million WW. That's a definite hit unless Universal didn't spend and absolute insane amount of money to market it. 260 million was just domestic, which was the entire foriegn groos almost underwhelming.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 6/7/2012 9:13:33 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 68
RE: SIZE DOES MATTER - 6/7/2012 9:03:06 PM   
James2183

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

All this talk about the critics being silly about the height /look issue ignores the fact that the critics are mostly, if not all, ardent readers and followers of the reacher books. All of whom by the way put Mr Child and the reacher books on the map. People tend to forget that and apparently so has mr.child. if you havent read the book or not an existing fan then the movie will be just fine with cruise in it. BUT if you are a fan then the movie will more than likely be a piece of dribble. Just another action movie with cruise as the hero - no different from any other cruise movie. so please indulge the people who 'made' Mr.Child anf forgive them their despair. if anyone otehr than the fans would btiehr to read the book, the whole thing about reacher is his size - its mentioned in every otehr page of the books. its the reason he talks the he does, acts the way he does and deal with things the way he does. lets face it if someone like cruise tries to act like Reacher itll be be just unbeleivalbe. A 5'7" guy does not kick ass the same way a 6'5" guy does - except may be in cruise movies.

Bruce Lee - 5ft 7".

Here endeth the lesson.

He has a point though. Because of size and strength a 5'7 and a 6'5 guy would fight differently. In the books Reacher uses brute strength, Lee is quick and mobile.

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 69
RE: SIZE DOES MATTER - 6/7/2012 9:49:47 PM   
directorscut

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bruce Lee - 5ft 7".

Here endeth the lesson.

He has a point though. Because of size and strength a 5'7 and a 6'5 guy would fight differently. In the books Reacher uses brute strength, Lee is quick and mobile.

Bruce Lee used brute strength as well. Said to be pound for pound the stroungest man alive at the time.

A 5ft 7" person who knows how to fight, where a human body's weak spots are is going to trash a 6ft 5" guy who doesn't. From the trailer it looks like Cruise is going up against thugs who probably don't know squat about fighting.

Plus Cruise has already proven himself to be a serial ass-kicker in movies like M:I-2, Collateral and The Last Samurai.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 70
Ouch - 6/7/2012 10:47:41 PM   
garethturtle

Looks pretty terrible, sounds pretty terrible; the description of Reacher "he doesn't care about proof"? Really? He's an investigator and the less said about the Mission Impossible esc music, the better. I was beginning to come around to this movie until I saw that trailer, now I feel a bit ill. Oh, and as for other actors being better suited, Liam Neeson is all I have to say on the matter.

Post #: 71
Ouch - 6/7/2012 10:47:50 PM   
garethturtle

Looks pretty terrible, sounds pretty terrible; the description of Reacher "he doesn't care about proof"? Really? He's an investigator and the less said about the Mission Impossible esc music, the better. I was beginning to come around to this movie until I saw that trailer, now I feel a bit ill. Oh, and as for other actors being better suited, Liam Neeson is all I have to say on the matter.

Post #: 72
RE: SIZE DOES MATTER - 7/7/2012 10:21:14 AM   
Miikesmama

quote:

All the above films are adaptations from popular novels that have flopped because the filmmakers have either miscast (Nic Cage as an Italian?!)

Yeah right, how can SOMEBODY in their right mind cast an actor who was born as Nicholas Coppola, looks like an Italian chef and is of Italien heritage as...Ghostrider?

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 73
RE: SIZE DOES MATTER - 7/7/2012 12:09:15 PM   
James2183

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bruce Lee - 5ft 7".

Here endeth the lesson.

Bruce Lee used brute strength as well. Said to be pound for pound the stroungest man alive at the time.

A 5ft 7" person who knows how to fight, where a human body's weak spots are is going to trash a 6ft 5" guy who doesn't. From the trailer it looks like Cruise is going up against thugs who probably don't know squat about fighting.

Plus Cruise has already proven himself to be a serial ass-kicker in movies like M:I-2, Collateral and The Last Samurai.

He had a sword in The Last Samurai and used agility in the others

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 74
RE: SIZE DOES MATTER - 7/7/2012 12:35:54 PM   
superdan

Is it not fair to say that the character of Jack Reacher is built around his physicality? Casting someone almost a foot shorter than the character as written seems to indicate to me that they aren't really interested in making a proper adaptation, it's more like another Cruise star vehicle. I know studios labour under the assumption that a film must have a star name as the main actor, but would it have been so bad to get someone who fits the physical bill to play the part? There's plenty of actors out there who fit the template and are decent actors (many of them better than Cruise actually).

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 75
RE: SIZE DOES MATTER - 9/7/2012 4:34:02 PM   
sanchia

Essentially a film loosely based around the book with a character loosely based around the character?

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 76
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: SIZE DOES MATTER Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI