Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Reacher mark 2

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Reacher mark 2 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Reacher mark 2 - 4/7/2012 1:11:52 PM   
giantshannon

Read all the books, love the character of Reacher - REALLY had my doubts over the casting of Cruise but.... you know what.... I like the look of the trailer. Its like putting Reacher in an alternative universe; one where he is normal height, drives a car but is still a (major) badass. Stop calling him Jack though - his name is Reacher. His name.... is Reacher. I will be going to see this I think.
And I want to see and hear Werzog!!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 31
Reacher mark 2 - 4/7/2012 1:12:08 PM   
giantshannon

Read all the books, love the character of Reacher - REALLY had my doubts over the casting of Cruise but.... you know what.... I like the look of the trailer. Its like putting Reacher in an alternative universe; one where he is normal height, drives a car but is still a (major) bada5s. Stop calling him Jack though - his name is Reacher. His name.... is Reacher. I will be going to see this I think.

Post #: 32
Decent teaser - 4/7/2012 1:16:37 PM   
spideed2

As for the height thing, half the moaners are only going to be happy if they cast a WWE wrestler in the role.

Cruise is a convincing hardman, without him this film would have never recahed the screen.

Dont like it, dont see it. Stop being shortist i say.

Post #: 33
RE: Decent teaser - 4/7/2012 1:30:33 PM   
Dead Mike

'Cruise is a convincing hardman' - hahahaha

Having this dwarf play a supposed 'man mountain'. Sorry, you can try & suspend disbelief as much as you want but this is the equivalent of remaking Commando with Rob Schneider in the lead.

FAIL

(in reply to spideed2)
Post #: 34
Reacher mark 2 - 4/7/2012 1:33:29 PM   
giantshannon

Read all the books, love the character of Reacher - REALLY had my doubts over the casting of Cruise but.... you know what.... I like the look of the trailer. Its like putting Reacher in an alternative universe; one where he is normal height, drives a car but is still a (major) bada5s. Stop calling him Jack though - his name is Reacher. His name.... is Reacher. I will be going to see this I think.

Post #: 35
RE: Fanboys whinge about everything... - 4/7/2012 1:35:37 PM   
mclane1

HYSTERICAL. I found the "they have just halved the audience" post very funny too. You can just see some couple saying " but he is shorter than in the book dear, I simply won't go and see it" " oh right, what chuffing book love" . Comedy. And yes if Cruise hadn't pushed for it there wouldn't even be a movie.
quote:

ORIGINAL: ronniem

I suppose Peter Jackson should have only cast dwarves for the LOTR films...And Bond should have had curly hair. Get a grip fanboys...Cruise is one of the main reasons this is even coming to the big screen...and some of us will be first in line. "They just halved the audience..." Ha...do me a favour!

If the cash is there, we do not care.

(in reply to ronniem)
Post #: 36
Drive - 4/7/2012 1:50:40 PM   
danclay77

Methinks someone at the studio may have seen the above film.

Post #: 37
Book vs Film? Is it a valid question? - 4/7/2012 2:14:05 PM   
Gouken

first I was horrified. Reacher in the books, looks like Dolph Lundgren. Maybe a bit wider...
Then I thought I should aproach this with open mind. Reacher doesn't have to be tall or blonde. He has to be a badass, has to be a very smart guy, has to be hard like he eats rocks with his panckakes for breakfast and uses tabasco sauce for eye drops.
If Cruise/McQuarrie manage to convey this, the tallness is a moot point.
The one thing I didn't really like was Cruise's voice still sounds too "nice guy-ish" for Reacher. So it's still wait and see for me.

Post #: 38
RE: Reacher mark 2 - 4/7/2012 2:28:46 PM   
Gouken

quote:

ORIGINAL: giantshannon

I also read all the books and I agree. Besides if you think how many fights Reacher gets into in the books (and I'm assuming in the movie as well), If he were as described in the book he wouldn't really get into all these fights would you. I mean who in their right mind would think, "right, this is the guy I'm going to beat up". So maybe Cruise being regular sized (ok... short) works better on film. Or am I just kidding myself and willing the film to be good cos I love the books
PS we don't know if he drives a car. we know he is seen driving a car, but I'm betting he still does the whole wandering Ronin (or tramp depends how you look at it) in the movie

(in reply to giantshannon)
Post #: 39
RE: Book vs Film? Is it a valid question? - 4/7/2012 2:34:30 PM   
blackduck

Wan't there the same kerfuffle over Interview with a Vampire? Everyone thought he was a terrible idea until they saw the movie. Cruise might be a mad little fella, but he's a far better actor than he gets credit for.

Anyway a movie gutting the source novel is hardly a new thing.

I am but an egg.

(in reply to Gouken)
Post #: 40
RE: Book vs Film? Is it a valid question? - 4/7/2012 2:54:25 PM   
elab49

He was a dreadful Lestat - he hit the character almost for a moment near the end, but the rest was pretty dreadful (and it did seem more his poor performance than the writing, although it was difficult to tell). 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to blackduck)
Post #: 41
Wet, wet, wet! - 4/7/2012 3:00:38 PM   
olirog

Poor old Cruise-babes so much wants to be a real man… Reacher would squidge him between two fingers. And the voice – should be gravel rather than grown-up choirboy. Give it a miss!

Post #: 42
RE: Book vs Film? Is it a valid question? - 4/7/2012 3:26:08 PM   
st3veebee

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

He was a dreadful Lestat - he hit the character almost for a moment near the end, but the rest was pretty dreadful (and it did seem more his poor performance than the writing, although it was difficult to tell). 

Anne Rice thought he would be awful but even she in the end commended his performance. I thought he was fantastic in it, but never read the book.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 43
RE: Book vs Film? Is it a valid question? - 4/7/2012 3:40:12 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

quote:

Anne Rice thought he would be awful but even she in the end commended his performance. I thought he was fantastic in it, but never read the book.

If you read the books you might think less of her opinion

I'd split my opinion in two though - for me, it was a poor performance (from a poor actor), and it also didn't catch the wildness of the character, far too controlled - just that bit on the bridge was almost there, IMO.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 44
RE: Decent teaser - 4/7/2012 3:44:24 PM   
Discodez

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dead Mike

'Cruise is a convincing hardman' - hahahaha

Having this dwarf play a supposed 'man mountain'. Sorry, you can try & suspend disbelief as much as you want but this is the equivalent of remaking Commando with Rob Schneider in the lead.

FAIL

"Rob Schneider is a soldier of fortune, who's daughter has been kindnapped, he's about to derp derp, derp derp, derp derp"

(in reply to Dead Mike)
Post #: 45
RE: Decent teaser - 4/7/2012 4:05:03 PM   
My name is Legion

quote:

ORIGINAL: spideed2

Cruise is a convincing hardman,

Sorry mate, but that is hilarious. Personally I do not find short 50 year old blokes, with slightly girlish voices, intimidating.

As for the controversy regarding his casting, I haven't read any of the books, but having checked out the description of the character I can fully understand why some fans would be unhappy with Cruise being cast. He's so outrageously miscast it's almost like a pisstake.

(in reply to spideed2)
Post #: 46
Looks good............but........... - 4/7/2012 4:56:54 PM   
guysalisbury

I know nothing about Jack Reacher but because all I have heard for the past year is people moaning about Tom Cruise getting the part and him being nothing like the real character, when I watched this I was telling myself that he's wrong for it, when I know fuck all about it! Is he really that wrong and what should this have looked like?

Post #: 47
Looks good............but........... - 4/7/2012 4:57:05 PM   
guysalisbury

I know nothing about Jack Reacher but because all I have heard for the past year is people moaning about Tom Cruise getting the part and him being nothing like the real character, when I watched this I was telling myself that he's wrong for it, when I know fuck all about it! Is he really that wrong and what should this have looked like?

Post #: 48
one obvious floor in the fanboy theory - 4/7/2012 6:38:55 PM   
mclane1

harry potter books were good, films were crap, yet still millions and millions and millions of people see them. anyone who remotely thinks there will be a mass boycot of this film due to cruises casting is insanely stupid and should get out more.

Post #: 49
Oh dear!!! - 4/7/2012 7:08:44 PM   
dannyfletch

As I expected this looks terrible! Cruise is once again miscast and a film that could've been lifted by a decent actor like Tom Hardy and is now doomed by his annoying, cheesy ( but not in a good way ) presence. A school kid poses more threat than this guy!

Post #: 50
Wrong Wrong Wrong - 4/7/2012 7:52:39 PM   
The Peanut

I dont want Jack Reacher films to bomb - it could be an amazing franchise if it was cast correctly. Im also all for a bit of left field casting but little Tom Cruise as Reacher - please spare me. A great book character turned into a joke because apparently Cruise can open a film. He looks like a miniature version - like Reachers vertically stunted brother (maybe at a push), in fact he looks comical and about as threatening as a pug dog in a shell suit. One to definitely miss - I will carry on reading the books until the casting improves.

Post #: 51
Mission Impossible II - 4/7/2012 9:31:43 PM   
marcus_fuller

It seems that the main plot revolves around Tom Cruise trying to get away from the guitarist who did the MI:2 soundtrack...

Post #: 52
- 4/7/2012 9:57:43 PM   
JimmyThe Saint

I don’t mind Tom Cruise being too short for playing Jack Reacher.
It’s reportedly getting his cult minions to stalk his wife I object to. How can he be seen as a hero when he allegedly acts like that? Who cares about the bloody film? From all accounts it’s a creepy disturbing situation. Who is going to pay to see one of his films anymore anyway?
How about Mel Gibson as Batman where the Joker is an ethic minority lol? In my opinion.

Post #: 53
Don't Like It - 5/7/2012 10:28:15 AM   
kevmccann

I have spent the last 18 months (off and on) reading the Lee Child novels about Jack Reacher this just seems to be a film using the name 'Jack Reacher' and Tom Cruise to try and get bums on seats. I would feel dirty if I saw this film and I love Hazy's comment! I now wonder if we will go through the multiple actors that Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan character has gone through. Bugger!

Post #: 54
Don't Like It - 5/7/2012 10:28:33 AM   
kevmccann

I have spent the last 18 months (off and on) reading the Lee Child novels about Jack Reacher this just seems to be a film using the name 'Jack Reacher' and Tom Cruise to try and get bums on seats. I would feel dirty if I saw this film and I love Hazy's comment! I now wonder if we will go through the multiple actors that Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan character has gone through.

Post #: 55
Never read the books... - 5/7/2012 12:35:05 PM   
Keldy

...but from the feel they seem to be going for in the trailer, Cruise looks horribly miscast.

Post #: 56
Never read the books... - 5/7/2012 12:35:15 PM   
Keldy

...but from the feel they seem to be going for in the trailer, Cruise looks horribly miscast.

Post #: 57
He is a short fellow - 5/7/2012 6:32:08 PM   
duncanwhatmore

And a little insane. But - but but but - the books are books and this is a film. And because the books (which I have consumed greedily and with delight) are written from Reacher's perspective, you don't get to SEE how big he is. I think if he was a man mountain it would be distracting. And anyway who gives a frak. It'll be good or bad and petulance or boycotting won't affect it. I remember when Scottish audiences found Gibbo's (Braveheart) William Wallace hilarious in the trailers - and then kept the film showing for 2 years in the South Clerk St Odeon.

Post #: 58
RE: SIZE DOES MATTER - 5/7/2012 8:13:28 PM   
James2183

quote:

ORIGINAL: mclane1

Really, halved the audience?? you are clearly very young and stupid, people arent that bothered when it comes down to it.
quote:

ORIGINAL: jazzyjules63

I suspect the producers have halved their audience by disrespecting the fans. I haven't read the books and as you say, it'll be a reasonable film for me. But you can kiss any thoughts of a franchise goodbye.

One Day, Lovely Bones, The Grinch, The Golden Compass, Dreamcatcher, The Scarlet Letter, The Time Machine, The Cat in the Hat, and last but not least Captain Corelli's Mandolin.

All the above films are adaptations from popular novels that have flopped because the filmmakers have either miscast (Nic Cage as an Italian?!) or done the source material a diservice.

One of the fundamental points of Reachers character is his size. He isn't a ninja, he isn't Bourne, he uses his size and blunt force strength to get the job done. No matter how you shoot Tom Cruise for this film he will never have the same dominating presence the character needs. He also doesn't like to drive and never passed his test, yet from the trailer it looks as if he would fit into the next Fast and the Furious film.

People are drawn to films of books that they like because of the story and the characters they've read about. They hope to have a connection on screen due to the people they've been reading about. If the person on screen is completely different to how they were in the book then how are they meant to enjoy it? Why even call it Jack Reacher at all? Cruise could have saved himself a lot of money by just casting himself as a completely new character in a film that had nothing to do with the novels. It would be like casting Gary Coleman for Blade.

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to mclane1)
Post #: 59
RE: SIZE DOES MATTER - 6/7/2012 12:57:58 AM   
Deviation

I thought The Grinch made good money at the BO, fine yeah it wasn't liked but it was no flop like the others mentioned there.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Reacher mark 2 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI