Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Mental Illness in Black Swan - MAJOR SPOILERS

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Mental Illness in Black Swan - MAJOR SPOILERS Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mental Illness in Black Swan - MAJOR SPOILERS - 2/7/2012 10:36:41 PM   
courtneyross123

How has social context effected the way mental illness is presented [to] and received by audiences in the film Black Swan"

The film explores the mental strains brought to a woman, Nina, as she tries to achieve her dream of playing the role as both the white swan as well as the black. The swans are representational of the traits in which society expects women to conform to, Nina is seen as the white swan symbolising purity and vulnerability. However, the black swan symbolizes the confidence and dark nature that Nina does not have. When Lilly, Nina foil, appears her anxiety is heightened and this subsequently leads to her mental deterioration.
Nina struggles with schizophrenia, eating disorders and delusions. The film ends seemingly typical in which Nina murders Lily just before she plays the role of the Black Swan (her lifetimes dream) and we see she has achieved her needs to conform. However in an unconventional twist we find that Nina has not stabbed Lily but herself, not only bringing the end to her mental illness but to her social torment. Subsequently the audience sympathize with her because her death is due to the social pressures.

What do you think about this guys?

< Message edited by elab49 -- 2/7/2012 10:44:56 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Mental Illness in Black Swan - MAJOR SPOILERS - 4/7/2012 4:06:13 PM   
vader100

Ah Film studies. Great course to take because you get to watch films and then get the internet to do your homework for you.

You can't take the sky from me

(in reply to courtneyross123)
Post #: 2
RE: Mental Illness in Black Swan - MAJOR SPOILERS - 4/7/2012 4:08:26 PM   
elab49

Courtney has reposted to expand on her own point of view on this - which is what our rules on homework threads require, that they give a base to start a discussion if people choose to post. 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to vader100)
Post #: 3
RE: Mental Illness in Black Swan - MAJOR SPOILERS - 4/7/2012 5:40:18 PM   
kumar

M Night Shyamalan couldnt have written that shit if he tried.

That is all i have to offer.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4
RE: Mental Illness in Black Swan - MAJOR SPOILERS - 4/7/2012 8:43:14 PM   
courtneyross123

Im a guy by the way :P i know its the name, i have been cursed by the rentals :P

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5
RE: Mental Illness in Black Swan - MAJOR SPOILERS - 4/7/2012 9:00:52 PM   
elab49

Apologies - getting gender wrong on here is pretty much de rigeur 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 6
RE: Mental Illness in Black Swan - MAJOR SPOILERS - 5/7/2012 3:23:22 AM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Apologies - getting gender wrong on here is pretty much de rigeur 

Definitely. You know you've arrived if someone's got your gender wrong.

As for the main post...I'll admit that Black Swan confused the hell out of me. For a while, I was part convinced that Lily was a figment of Nina's imagination, or at least a physical manifestation of the parts of her personality that she kept buried. But that didn't make sense since everyone else could see Lily too.

I'm still not exactly sure what I think about that film, except that I love it. Let me have a think and I'll see if I can get back to you with an actual coherent response.

< Message edited by doubtlesswonder -- 5/7/2012 3:25:40 AM >

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 7
RE: Mental Illness in Black Swan - MAJOR SPOILERS - 5/7/2012 7:19:03 PM   
courtneyross123

Thank you for that if you could put your love for it into words that would be great :P but i do love it too

(in reply to doubtlesswonder)
Post #: 8
RE: Mental Illness in Black Swan - MAJOR SPOILERS - 5/7/2012 9:30:39 PM   
Riaz Ali

quote:

ORIGINAL: courtneyross123

How has social context effected the way mental illness is presented [to] and received by audiences in the film Black Swan"

The film explores the mental strains brought to a woman, Nina, as she tries to achieve her dream of playing the role as both the white swan as well as the black. The swans are representational of the traits in which society expects women to conform to, Nina is seen as the white swan symbolising purity and vulnerability. However, the black swan symbolizes the confidence and dark nature that Nina does not have. When Lilly, Nina foil, appears her anxiety is heightened and this subsequently leads to her mental deterioration.
Nina struggles with schizophrenia, eating disorders and delusions. The film ends seemingly typical in which Nina murders Lily just before she plays the role of the Black Swan (her lifetimes dream) and we see she has achieved her needs to conform. However in an unconventional twist we find that Nina has not stabbed Lily but herself, not only bringing the end to her mental illness but to her social torment. Subsequently the audience sympathize with her because her death is due to the social pressures.

I saw a bit of the film and got bored of it. However, based on your brief summing up -

I have worked in mental health for 15 years (both on acute wards and rehab units) and have never encountered a schizophrenic using a swan to symbolise their purity and vulnerability. Neither have I met a schizophrenic who would stab themselves just before going out on stage.

I hope that helps...

Post #: 9
RE: Mental Illness in Black Swan - MAJOR SPOILERS - 5/7/2012 9:36:10 PM   
Lazarus munkey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Riaz Ali

quote:

I saw a bit of the film and got bored of it. However, based on your brief summing up -

I have worked in mental health for 15 years (both on acute wards and rehab units) and have never encountered a schizophrenic using a swan to symbolise their purity and vulnerability. Neither have I met a schizophrenic who would stab themselves just before going out on stage.

I hope that helps...

I've never met an amnesiac but they're in films all the time.

It might be make-believe.

"Because I got the answers"

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
The Amazing Spider-Man 3/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

(in reply to Riaz Ali)
Post #: 10
RE: Mental Illness in Black Swan - MAJOR SPOILERS - 8/7/2012 1:30:59 PM   
courtneyross123

thank you for that, i do agree with you however I do feel that the dance is just a personification of her mental struggle so that the audience can see this struggle visually and therefore exploit mental illness to sell the film :P

(in reply to Riaz Ali)
Post #: 11
RE: Mental Illness in Black Swan - MAJOR SPOILERS - 8/7/2012 6:08:22 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lazarus munkey

quote:

quote:

I hope that helps...

Maybe you have and you just don't remember...

As for the movie, I thought it was a much better representation of escape into an alternative personality/reality than the nightmare that was Sucker Punch!

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Lazarus munkey)
Post #: 12
RE: Mental Illness in Black Swan - MAJOR SPOILERS - 8/7/2012 10:38:18 PM   
TragicRomantic

It simply isn't as clever as it thinks it is.The Black/White swan representation is obvious.
Without the visual beauty of Kunis and Portman it would be unwatchable,ergo it's quite superficial really.
As a study of mental illness?No,it fails abysmally.

Life,love and film-enjoy all like fine wine
Silence the doubters
Embrace the lovers
Ignore the haters

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 13
RE: Mental Illness in Black Swan - MAJOR SPOILERS - 9/7/2012 12:52:47 AM   
filmfanatic123

I loved Black Swan when I saw it, and I agree with the original post, although, to be fair, I never thought into it that much.

I just watched it, and thought it was awesome.

Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

(in reply to TragicRomantic)
Post #: 14
RE: Mental Illness in Black Swan - MAJOR SPOILERS - 9/7/2012 4:44:56 AM   
TragicRomantic

I just watched it and thought the Director was given such a fine canvas and brought no paint.

Life,love and film-enjoy all like fine wine
Silence the doubters
Embrace the lovers
Ignore the haters

(in reply to filmfanatic123)
Post #: 15
RE: Mental Illness in Black Swan - MAJOR SPOILERS - 9/7/2012 9:18:15 AM   
Rebenectomy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lazarus munkey

quote:

quote:

I hope that helps...

I think the point they are making, and the point of the thread, is there are issues with the accuracy of the film as a depiction of mental illness, schizophrenia in particular. I'd also question the idea that it is schizophrenia on display in Black Swan, as split personality and schizophrenia are not one and the same and it's quite a blinkered and old fashioned labelling to regard them as such.

It's probably fairer to say that Aronofsky dramatises the pressures and expectations of performance (as he does in the Wrestler) and is more concerned with making a point about what one scarifies - socially, physically and emotionally, for the art, rather than any serious depiction of mental illness. He's producing art himself, painting a picture through fantastical metaphor and symbolism, rather than realism, so he has artistic licence in this respect.

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to Lazarus munkey)
Post #: 16
RE: Mental Illness in Black Swan - MAJOR SPOILERS - 9/7/2012 12:40:39 PM   
jobloffski

Also, see Eraserhead, Lost Highway, Mullholland Drive and Inland Empire for depictions of people who are to one degree or another losing their mind, with reality and their subjective reality blending to create a halfway house between reality and imagination where a narrative is presented for story purposes, with many events not strictly making logical sense, and somehow symbolising the main character's 'condition'

Aranofsky probably did, given certain elements of some of his films ;-)

More accurate/realistic presentations of 'mental conditions' would be more mundane to look at but pressure to be a certain way conflicting with who/what you are actually able to be resulting in irreconcilable inner conflict with a destructive and/or self destructive outcome/projecting outwards and identifying someone else as somehow responsible for that conflict leading to falling into mental disrepair/convergence of external reality and imagined motivations for the actions of others are probably regular aspects of the beginning of many conditions.

But depicting literally/symbolically and seeking to create confusion as to where literal and symbolic begin and end that makes for better cinema than just saying it. If not better, then more palatable at least. The extent to which the normal pressures of a normal life can lead to many people having a breakdown is a little too scary for many people to contemplate, and films of such a nature are a hard sell because of this. When it comes to mental illness in films it seems people either prefer to have films where gifted people crack under the strain/despite mental illness are gifted or films where social misfits go postal than anything any closer to home.

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 9/7/2012 12:55:46 PM >

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 17
RE: Mental Illness in Black Swan - MAJOR SPOILERS - 9/7/2012 6:37:21 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Brilliant film and I highly doubt Aranofsky meant it as a serious depiction of mental illness - it's a work of fiction.

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 18
RE: Mental Illness in Black Swan - MAJOR SPOILERS - 9/7/2012 6:38:53 PM   
matty_b

I disagree - Aronofsky's an intelligent guy, and directors/writers frequently address issues like mental illness under the guise of genre work (whether he succeeds or not is a different question...)

I don't think it being fiction has any bearing on it, really.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 19
RE: Mental Illness in Black Swan - MAJOR SPOILERS - 9/7/2012 7:03:07 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I just saw it as a dark thriller about an unstable ballerina - I never once sat there and thought that they were trying to portray a realistic depiction of mental illness. Maybe others did I dunno

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 20
RE: Mental Illness in Black Swan - MAJOR SPOILERS - 9/7/2012 7:33:19 PM   
matty_b

I think it's a balance between those two things you're saying.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Mental Illness in Black Swan - MAJOR SPOILERS Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI