Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World - 2/7/2012 10:28:07 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Worst film I've seen in YEARS!! - 2/7/2012 10:28:07 PM   
PlanetNish_dotcom

You can't go wrong with the premise.. unless you do it like it's done in this film!! Unlikeable and annoying characters. No pace, no impetus. Hello? the world's about to end??!! Instead it just potters from one pointless scene to the next..
It's not funny. It's not romantic. There's NO drama!! I had to restrain myself from getting up and walking out!! Rubbish!!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
seeking a friend for the end of the world - 13/7/2012 9:42:18 PM   
mira11

Sorry found this film to be total drivel , Knightley's overacting was achingly embarrassing , Carrell was excellent and his naturalism really made knightley's poor performance even more painful to watch. The entire film lacked any sense of reality there was no atmosphere of any kind at all, the script was poor unfunny and predictable a dire combination i'm afraid.

Post #: 3
- 14/7/2012 4:17:59 PM   
Bighousewill

Wonderful film it is funny how everyone is reacting to Armageddon here but Dodge is already depressed but he meets penny and what happens between them is what I would call romantic and beautiful and really very feel good. Also a highlight here is scene between Carrel and Martin Sheen. This film is just great writing and and has a fantastic soundtrack which I'm defo buying, and is a wonderful feel good and life affirming loved it to bits.

Post #: 4
- 14/7/2012 11:03:47 PM   
soulfood

Only Reason i when to see this movie was my best friend . ask me go with her. Only good thing in this Movie is keira Knightley.
Steve Carell is wong actor for this part.

Post #: 5
- 16/7/2012 8:47:35 PM   
Dr Lenera

A seventy mile-wide asteroid named Matilda is on a collision course with Earth and a last ditch effort to destroy it has failed. The world only has three weeks until impact, at which time all of humanity will be wiped out. Dodge, an insurance salesman, has just had his wife commit suicide. All over, people react in varying ways, from drugs to promiscuity to rioting. Dodge unsuccessfully tries to kill himself with window cleaner and befriends his neighbour Penny who has just kicked her boyfriend out. After reminiscing about his childhood sweetheart Olivia, Penny gives Dodge a letter she received for him but kept forgetting to deliver. Dodge is surprised to learn it is actually from Olivia. In the middle of the night, a riot breaks out. Needing to escape, Dodge tells Penny he knows someone with a plane who could get her to England if she helps him get to Olivia first……

It’s certainly a very romantic concept. Going to search for the one who got away many years ago. It’s also a concept often done in film; not that far ago, the surprisingly good Letters To Juliet used a nice variation on the idea. However, add that to the End Of The World, and you have a really involving and touching film, don’t you? Well, that’s obviously what writer and director Lorene Scafaria thought, the same Lorene Scafaria who wrote the rather charming Nick And Nora’s Infinite Playlist, with which this movie shares many similarities with. Actually, the picture doesn’t entirely work. Whilst watching it, I felt that it didn’t really need the ‘end of the world’ scenario. Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World, which at times seems like a more ‘commercial’ Melancholia and is burdened with an awful title, has had a mixed response and I can entirely understand why, because it’s half a good film and half a poor one. I guess it’s also because some folk buy into extreme and even maudlin sentimentali

Post #: 6
Seeking Extra Stars For The End Of My Review... - 9/11/2012 8:56:18 PM   
mapletreewizard

"(“I won’t steal anything if you won’t kill me”)" I believe the word was 'rape' not 'kill'. Anyway, this was so-so, with one or two charming moments, although I expected a more punchy, emotional ending. However, I did have this recommended to me by a (male) cry baby film critic who apparently burst into tears during the finale. Each to their own.

Post #: 7
And I feel fine... - 16/11/2012 9:56:02 PM   
philshepp

Fine being the operative word. This film is fine: quite interesting, quite funny, quite good, not the worst, not the best. If it is the worst film you have seen in years, you're doing quite well!

Post #: 8
- 21/11/2012 7:01:35 PM   
theoriginalcynic

Three stars! I'm amazed. Two stars is generous.

Post #: 9
Surprised at the hate... - 29/11/2012 11:20:44 AM   
MrkyMrk

I guess you have to be able to get by Knightley's "movie kookie" role - I could, so found it that most wonderful escapist combo of "Funny & Touching" :)
Here's to bumping up the star average...

Post #: 10
SO DEPRESSING! - 31/5/2013 11:17:25 PM   
tysmuse

Do not watch if you're slightly depressed (but it's quite good)

Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI