Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986) - 1/7/2012 5:58:31 PM   
Phubbs

This was the first Star Trek movie I saw at the cinema, and to top that I think I saw it whilst in the US of A too

So the story continues from where it left of in 'The Search for Spock' with Nimoy again at the helm. What can one say about this Trek outing, it certainly took a different route and clearly went for a more comedic approach. Was this the right approach? well maybe, I can't deny that the film is very entertaining with some well crafted family fun moments that make all the veteran actors even more endearing in their now historical roles.

How can anyone fail to love these guys? quite literately old age pensioners in space and still saving the earth, what a team!. So yes a big kudos for the alternate direction and some lovely amusing moments which can't fail to make you smile.

On the other hand did this film really do much to bolster Star Treks sci-fi rankings within the hall of fame/classics?. I'm not so sure really, we all know Star Trek has that little niche of semi serious logical sci-fi mixed with blatant fantasy but for me this plot just took one step too far. There is really only so far you can go before you have to step back and say 'hold on'.

Earth is in trouble (again) so the ageing crew simply decide to use a 'time warp' into the past to casually pick up some humpback whales and bounce back to the their present before anyone knew they were there. Now is it me or is this premise just a tad beyond the realms of a reasonably sensible film? the last film saw a character resurrected and now they can jump through time to fix problems, these guys can't be beaten!.
The story is an ingenious creation (but they do tend to come across allot of unknown energy sapping...problems), a good message about the environment and endangered species but for me the time travel thing just never sat well, its too convenient and renders the Enterprise crew almost insurmountable in any given situation.

That aside its a completely new breathe of fresh air to have the film set almost entirely on a planet surface, especially our own. This does infact render special effects almost obsolete for the film, almost. There are still many nasty bluescreen shots, standard obvious sets and some hideous whale footage crowbarred in but also the odd nice starship model, usual Trek look really.

I can see why this did well upon release as its a fun film with a good message and happy ending, its Star Trek all over. For me the plot has gone from generic in the last two films to completely outlandish in this film, much suspension of disbelief required here. Much like the previous two films I neither overly dislike or overly like this fourth effort. I enjoyed it for what's it worth and of course knew what to expect, but compare these Trek films to other sci-fi and they do look quite childish.

< Message edited by Phubbs -- 1/7/2012 5:59:12 PM >
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI