Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Best non CGI, Best CGI Scene

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Best non CGI, Best CGI Scene Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Best non CGI, Best CGI Scene - 6/7/2012 12:51:26 AM   
jenzie

from wiki

The film was initially given an X rating. Violence was trimmed and different camera angles were used in the over-the-top scenes for an R rating. It was one of the last major Hollywood blockbusters to make large-scale use of miniature effects rather than computer generated imagery. Five different companies were brought in to handle Total Recallís effects. The only CGI sequence in the entire film was a 42-second sequence, produced by MetroLight Studios, showing the X-rayed skeletons of commuters and their concealed weapons. Only a year later, James Cameronís Terminator 2: Judgment Day, also starring Schwarzenegger, prompted a revolution in special effects with its extensive use of CGI.

HOWEVER

the final part of the removing head sequence IS CGI (the actual removal sequence), arnie's head is also CGI for this ..... you can tell how it moves (more juddery for puppetry and animatronics, smoother movement for CGI)

ALIENS: yes, i still have the damn hat on ..... WANNA TAKE IT OFF ME????
HUMANS: well, yes .....
ALIENS: ACTIVATE THE STUPID HUMAN RAY!!!!!

http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/jenzie

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 31
RE: Best non CGI, Best CGI Scene - 6/7/2012 7:19:43 AM   
mclane1

HOWEVER
quote:

the final part of the removing head sequence IS CGI (the actual removal sequence), arnie's head is also CGI for this ..... you can tell how it moves (more juddery for puppetry and animatronics, smoother movement for CGI)

surely its not, its clearly a model head and not computerised, it is juddery!

althought the fingernail painting! that is slick and maybe CGI along with the X-rayed scene if that is definately CGI- animation?

< Message edited by mclane1 -- 6/7/2012 7:20:01 AM >

If the cash is there, we do not care.

(in reply to jenzie)
Post #: 32
RE: Best non CGI, Best CGI Scene - 6/7/2012 7:24:27 AM   
mclane1

quote:

Only a year later, James Cameronís Terminator 2: Judgment Day, also starring Schwarzenegger, prompted a revolution in special effects with its extensive use of CGI.

and was'nt it Camerons 'The Abyss' that really was the first to pioneer the CGI effect??

If the cash is there, we do not care.

(in reply to jenzie)
Post #: 33
RE: Best non CGI, Best CGI Scene - 6/7/2012 2:31:50 PM   
Hood_Man

Total Recall: Two weeks clip

It's a model. It's juddery, rubbery, and there's no way they could do textures, lighting or hair that realistic* in a computer in 1990.

I doubt the head coming apart is CGI either, it's needlessly oversized if they were going to do it digitally. It looks like something that's been made to go over Arnie's head, was still too small, and then the SFX department was forced to throw together their worst looking prop in the whole film

*Realistic in the sense that it at least looks like it's been crafted by hand and shot on set, not that it could for one second ever be mistaken for the real Arnie

(in reply to mclane1)
Post #: 34
RE: Best non CGI, Best CGI Scene - 6/7/2012 2:56:34 PM   
eldtran1994

It was only when I bought the BluRay and watched the extras

Post #: 35
RE: Best non CGI, Best CGI Scene - 6/7/2012 2:58:19 PM   
eldtran1994

When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothin

Post #: 36
RE: Best non CGI, Best CGI Scene - 7/7/2012 12:08:27 AM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Total Recall: Two weeks clip

It's a model. It's juddery, rubbery, and there's no way they could do textures, lighting or hair that realistic* in a computer in 1990.

Exactly. T2 was still using CG purely for metallic watery effects 2 years after, and then something like Jurassic Park was 3 years later. The detail levels alone show this is a practical sculpture / animated effect.

< Message edited by rich -- 7/7/2012 12:09:12 AM >

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 37
RE: Best non CGI, Best CGI Scene - 7/7/2012 12:42:03 AM   
Coyleone

Best Non-CGI
The Empire Strikes Back - The Falcon being chased through the astaroid field. Stunning every time.
The Thing
Pan's Labyrinth

Best CGI
Jurassic Park - T-Rex attack.
Zodiac
Children Of Men. Had some amazing effects at the end. The baby also looked really good.
Rise Of the Planet Of The Apes
Magnolia - One of the most effective uses of CGI ever (frogs).

< Message edited by Coyleone -- 7/7/2012 12:43:04 AM >

Post #: 38
RE: Best non CGI, Best CGI Scene - 12/7/2012 4:44:54 PM   
Brundlesflies

quote:

ORIGINAL: jenzie

HOWEVER

~Happy to put this one to bed - NO CGI in the head removal scene. My source? Cinefex No 43 in which Rob Bottin goes into minute detail as to how the effect was produced ( I think it still holds up well, BTW)

Both the woman's head (obviously) and Arnie's are puppets - in fact the mask had to be reinforced with forged steel to stop it warping & the sheer weight meant there was no way they could risk putting Arnie inside, hence the puppet.

"The Daily Mail isn't technically a newspaper, more a serialised Necronomicon." C. Brooker
My DVD's

(in reply to jenzie)
Post #: 39
RE: Best non CGI, Best CGI Scene - 13/7/2012 10:35:26 PM   
Thunder86

Mostly people seem to agree on the same 2 or 3 movies, so here's some fresh meat.

Best non-CGI:

The Dark Crystal (this movie is live action puppetry beginning to end, makes Labyrinth look like the Muppets. Utterly legendary, if you haven't seen it go do it now).
Free Willy (animatronics)
Aliens (puppet effects for the Queen, operated by 2 people inside the puppet and an external team too)
Predator (several effects but most impressive for pre-CGI is the Active Camouflage - also the luminescent blood was glo-stick fluid and KY jelly!)
Ghostbusters (need I say more?)

Best CGI:

Skyline (for the UAV attack sequence - rest of the film sucked ass)
King Kong (the gorilla was outstanding, less so the scenery).
Transformers (so one second a truck's driving up, the next second it's just stood up and it's a 30 foot robot with a name).

And in a third catagory,

Best CGI/non-CGI compounds:

The Matrix (bullet-time, less amazing now but the first time I saw that, o my God...)
Titanic (the set deserves an award of it's own, but combined with the CGI to complete the picture... WOW!)

(in reply to Brundlesflies)
Post #: 40
RE: Best non CGI, Best CGI Scene - 13/7/2012 11:29:34 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Thunder86

Mostly people seem to agree on the same 2 or 3 movies, so here's some fresh meat.

Best non-CGI:

The Dark Crystal (this movie is live action puppetry beginning to end, makes Labyrinth look like the Muppets. Utterly legendary, if you haven't seen it go do it now).
Free Willy (animatronics)
Aliens (puppet effects for the Queen, operated by 2 people inside the puppet and an external team too)
Predator (several effects but most impressive for pre-CGI is the Active Camouflage - also the luminescent blood was glo-stick fluid and KY jelly!)
Ghostbusters (need I say more?)

Best CGI:

Skyline (for the UAV attack sequence - rest of the film sucked ass)
King Kong (the gorilla was outstanding, less so the scenery).
Transformers (so one second a truck's driving up, the next second it's just stood up and it's a 30 foot robot with a name).

And in a third catagory,

Best CGI/non-CGI compounds:

The Matrix (bullet-time, less amazing now but the first time I saw that, o my God...)
Titanic (the set deserves an award of it's own, but combined with the CGI to complete the picture... WOW!)

Yep ,the creation of the Queen is brilliant.

Best non-cgi that springs to mind would the the intro and the overal work on Blade Runner,brilliant.
Other notable films such as Braindead,IT,The Thing,The Fly (the heartbreaking end scene).

(in reply to Thunder86)
Post #: 41
RE: Best non CGI, Best CGI Scene - 15/7/2012 2:01:51 PM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

Best non CG:

Powerloader fight - Aliens
Blood test - The Thing
Medusa - Clash of the Titans
ED209 - Robocop
Jabba's Palace - Return of the Jedi

Oh wait I better put some CG here too:

District 9 - Aliens
The Dark Knight - Two-face
King Kong - Kong
Transformers - City battle

Meanwhile...

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 42
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Best non CGI, Best CGI Scene Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI