Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Best non CGI, Best CGI Scene

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Best non CGI, Best CGI Scene Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Best non CGI, Best CGI Scene - 30/6/2012 6:01:58 PM   
mclane1

watching total recall with Arnie the other day (yes he came round to mine for pizza) i was suprised just how well the effects have held their own. infact i would say there would be absolutely nothing they could have bettered with CGI, even the wax heads whilst clearly not real were stunningly well done.

There is also some stunning CGI out there but whats peoples views on the best effects scene ever for both CGI and Non CGI.

mine are

Non CGI- Im gonna go with the removable exploding head scene in Total Recall now ive seen it again.
and the whole CPR scene in the original THING

CGI- (a bit left field) The scene in underworld evolution where the winged vampire man is flying beside the truck with Beckinsale and speedman in, crashing against it. I know its a dodgy movie but the cgi is faultless.
and Trex attack in Jurassic park

your views?

If the cash is there, we do not care.
Post #: 1
RE: Best non CGI, Best CGI Scene - 30/6/2012 6:08:44 PM   
UTB

The Thing or An American Werewolf in London for best non-CGI. So many great scenes.

As for the best use of CGI, the only time I've ever watched a film and not realised that there was even any in it was Zodiac. It was only when I bought the BluRay and watched the extras, I was utterly gobsmacked as to how much was. Flawless, flawless use of CGI and flies the flag for why it is a good thing.

(in reply to mclane1)
Post #: 2
RE: Best non CGI, Best CGI Scene - 1/7/2012 2:12:53 AM   
Biggus

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

As for the best use of CGI, the only time I've ever watched a film and not realised that there was even any in it was Zodiac. It was only when I bought the BluRay and watched the extras, I was utterly gobsmacked as to how much was. Flawless, flawless use of CGI and flies the flag for why it is a good thing.

Didn't realise there was any CGI in that film but I was quite bored by it so I may not have been paying attention.

Terrible film but this knocked me out when I first saw it:

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

http://fletchsworldoffilm.wordpress.com/

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 3
RE: Best non CGI, Best CGI Scene - 1/7/2012 2:21:56 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Biggus

quote:

Didn't realise there was any CGI in that film but I was quite bored by it so I may not have been paying attention.

Dude, the CG in Zodiac is awesome. If you didn't notice it, that means they did their job right. I can see why would be bored with the film, though. Anyway, watch this, or at least watch the first 2 minute and a half minutes- click

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 4
RE: Best non CGI, Best CGI Scene - 1/7/2012 9:30:15 AM   
huoyuehmok

I've ever watched a film and not realised that there was even any in it was Zodiac. It was only when I bought the BluRay and watched the extras,

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 5
RE: Best non CGI, Best CGI Scene - 2/7/2012 9:19:17 AM   
blue_lion

Best CGI - Forrest Gump, Fantastic 4 - 2, A Christmas Carol (Jim Carey), Anything Pixar !

Best Non-CGI : The Thing (1982), American Werewold In London, The Howling, Planet Of The Apes, The Black Hole

It's amazing to see how far CGI has come !

(in reply to huoyuehmok)
Post #: 6
RE: Best non CGI, Best CGI Scene - 2/7/2012 9:31:50 AM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Biggus

quote:

Dude, the CG in Zodiac is awesome. If you didn't notice it, that means they did their job right. I can see why would be bored with the film, though. Anyway, watch this, or at least watch the first 2 minute and a half minutes- click

That really is quite impressive. I haven't seen the film since it was in cinemas, but at the time I certainly don't remember thinking any of it was CGI.

Post #: 7
RE: Best non CGI, Best CGI Scene - 2/7/2012 2:04:02 PM   
chuiching0806

but I was quite bored by it so I may not have been paying attention.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 8
RE: Best non CGI, Best CGI Scene - 2/7/2012 9:06:33 PM   
rich

Best non CG:

Powerloader fight - Aliens
Blood test - The Thing
Medusa - Clash of the Titans
ED209 - Robocop
Jabba's Palace - Return of the Jedi

Meanwhile...

(in reply to chuiching0806)
Post #: 9
RE: Best non CGI, Best CGI Scene - 2/7/2012 9:32:19 PM   
Shifty Bench

John Carpenter's The Thing has some of the best practical effects ever put on film that still hold up today, in my opinion.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 10
RE: Best non CGI, Best CGI Scene - 2/7/2012 9:47:34 PM   
kumar

Yarp, another vote for the Thing from me. Personally though I would have gone for the entire resuscitation scene over the blood test, but hey ho, it is all REALLY impressive stuff.

With aliens, there are three bits which really impress me. One is where the marines are in the hive and havent met the xenomorphs yet, but out of the shadows one of them slowly crawls hanging upside down toward them. The second is when newt is in the water and one of the aliens rises from behind her, and the third is in the nest again going to save newt, where one of the aliens comes bounding through the nest around a corner for Ripley to shoot it down. And also there is the powerloader and queen thing. Fuck i love it all. Im exhausted recalling that.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

Post #: 11
RE: Best non CGI, Best CGI Scene - 3/7/2012 4:39:08 PM   
Phoenix Wright

Non-CGI: Anything by Stan Winston, his work on Aliens has already been mentioned by a few people and his work on the practical dinosaur effects in Jurassic Park are outstanding. In fact, the T-Rex attack scene contains some great CG and non-CG work.

CGI: Another vote for Fincher here, but the one that impressed me the most was probably the Winklevoss twins in The Social Network.

I'd also mention Lord of the Rings as a film series that contains great practical effects as well as great CG effects. It really shows the importance of using the right tools for the right job.

SEA BEARS FOAM, SLEEP BEARS DREAMS. BOTH END IN THE SAME WAY—CRASSSH!

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 12
RE: Best non CGI, Best CGI Scene - 4/7/2012 4:55:55 PM   
Hood_Man

Best Non CGI - The AT-ST walkers in Return of the Jedi, and the AT-AT that was see for a few seconds.

Best CGI - Gandalf giving Bilbo his hat in Bagend in Fellowship of the Ring. I feel like such a div but I genuinely didn't realise I was watching a special effect when that happened, it was so seamless.

Regarding he best of the Non - CGI, I can't really think of any puppets, Stan Winston or not, that didn't look like puppets. I was watching Total Recall last night and, as good as the puppetry and model work was, it was still a hugely noticeable difference every time they cut between Arnie's face and one of Arnie's puppets.

That's why the AT-ST's win for me, robotic machines moving in a robotic manner, but with motion blur. If George Lucas could add some motion blur to the AT-AT's in an inevitable future re-release of ESB (and the others), that would be one addition I'd fully support.

< Message edited by Hood_Man -- 4/7/2012 5:00:38 PM >

(in reply to Phoenix Wright)
Post #: 13
RE: Best non CGI, Best CGI Scene - 4/7/2012 11:59:14 PM   
Biggus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Best Non CGI - The AT-ST walkers in Return of the Jedi, and the AT-AT that was see for a few seconds.

Best CGI - Gandalf giving Bilbo his hat in Bagend in Fellowship of the Ring. I feel like such a div but I genuinely didn't realise I was watching a special effect when that happened, it was so seamless.
Regarding he best of the Non - CGI, I can't really think of any puppets, Stan Winston or not, that didn't look like puppets. I was watching Total Recall last night and, as good as the puppetry and model work was, it was still a hugely noticeable difference every time they cut between Arnie's face and one of Arnie's puppets.

That's why the AT-ST's win for me, robotic machines moving in a robotic manner, but with motion blur. If George Lucas could add some motion blur to the AT-AT's in an inevitable future re-release of ESB (and the others), that would be one addition I'd fully support.

Agreed.

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

http://fletchsworldoffilm.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 14
RE: Best non CGI, Best CGI Scene - 5/7/2012 1:51:41 AM   
Hood_Man

That it's an exquisite shot or that I'm a div?

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 15
RE: Best non CGI, Best CGI Scene - 5/7/2012 2:12:59 AM   
Lazarus munkey

Non-CG - The Thing. "You gotta be fuckin' kidding..."

Best CG - Jar Jar Binks in The Phantom Menace. Great fx work on a really funny character.

"Because I got the answers"

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
The Amazing Spider-Man 3/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 16
RE: Best non CGI, Best CGI Scene - 5/7/2012 3:20:48 PM   
mclane1

other non CGI-

Innerspace- in the body is pretty clever

TOD, the mining cart chase is just top stuff

other CGI-

Fincher again, beginning of panic room sweeping through the house

CO Riddick- i quite like the intro with the ship sweeping over the landscape, Clearly CGI but very relaxing and trippy

If the cash is there, we do not care.

(in reply to Lazarus munkey)
Post #: 17
RE: Best non CGI, Best CGI Scene - 5/7/2012 4:09:15 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lazarus munkey

Best CG - Jar Jar Binks in The Phantom Menace. Great fx work on a really funny character.

Post #: 18
RE: Best non CGI, Best CGI Scene - 5/7/2012 6:20:24 PM   
stevenMcEpic

Non CGI: Mechanical dinosaurs in Jurassic Park. "The Thing" has to be up there too.

CGI: The CGi cars in the car chase in Matrix Reloaded (2003) or the bridge destruction scene in "War of Worlds" (2005).

Post #: 19
RE: Best non CGI, Best CGI Scene - 5/7/2012 6:28:48 PM   
DazDaMan

I always thought the removable head sequence WAS done with CGI (albeit very limited), no??

Anyway, a lot of the best practical effects have been mentioned already - The Thing, An American Werewolf in London, etc....

War Horse - the trench run - has some brilliant CGI. Joey looked so realistic that I was convinced they HAD used a real horse for it!

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to stevenMcEpic)
Post #: 20
RE: Best non CGI, Best CGI Scene - 5/7/2012 6:48:42 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: DazDaMan

I always thought the removable head sequence WAS done with CGI (albeit very limited), no??

The head removal in The Thing? I don't think so. I think it was all mechanical and puppet work.

Of course, if we are talking about horror movie practical effects-

WARNING THE FOLLOWING CLIPS CONTAIN SPOILERS AND GORE!!!!!!

Maniac- Tom Savini's exploding head created by.....Tom Savini- click
Day of the Dead- Rhodes gets his- click
The Blob (1988)- Phonebooth Death- click

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 21
RE: Best non CGI, Best CGI Scene - 5/7/2012 7:24:40 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

In 1982?

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 22
RE: Best non CGI, Best CGI Scene - 5/7/2012 7:35:59 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

quote:

In 1982?

CGI was around then but not to the extent that they would need for the head detachment scene in The Thing. Here's a history of CGI- click or Wiki's take- click

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 23
RE: Best non CGI, Best CGI Scene - 5/7/2012 7:41:11 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

quote:

quote:

In 1982?

CGI was around then but not to the extent that they would need for the head detachment scene in The Thing. Here's a history of CGI- click or Wiki's take- click

Well I'll be buggered. Forgot it was the same year as Tron. But like you say nowhere near sophisticated enough to be even vaguely photo-realistic in a scene like that. The great doc on the DVD certainly doesn't mention any computer-foolery either.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

Post #: 24
RE: Best non CGI, Best CGI Scene - 5/7/2012 9:02:26 PM   
Lazarus munkey

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lazarus munkey

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

Post #: 25
RE: Best non CGI, Best CGI Scene - 5/7/2012 9:29:12 PM   
DazDaMan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

In 1982?

Well I'll be buggered. Forgot it was the same year as Tron. But like you say nowhere near sophisticated enough to be even vaguely photo-realistic in a scene like that. The great doc on the DVD certainly doesn't mention any computer-foolery either.

Sorry, I should have quoted the original post in my reply. My response was regarding the Arnie-head in Total Recall - I always thought that was a CGI effect, no?

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 26
RE: Best non CGI, Best CGI Scene - 5/7/2012 9:33:41 PM   
Lazarus munkey

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

In 1982?

Sorry, I should have quoted the original post in my reply. My response was regarding the Arnie-head in Total Recall - I always thought that was a CGI effect, no?

I thought you meant Total Recall, too. I don't think the head was CGI but it was used in composing the shot, like in Death Becomes Her.

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 27
RE: Best non CGI, Best CGI Scene - 5/7/2012 9:44:21 PM   
Hood_Man

I've read that the only CGI in Total Recall was the X-Ray skeletons sequence.

Impressive stuff for something that was done 22 years ago *faints*

Post #: 28
RE: Best non CGI, Best CGI Scene - 5/7/2012 9:48:08 PM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

I've read that the only CGI in Total Recall was the X-Ray skeletons sequence.

Correct

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 29
RE: Best non CGI, Best CGI Scene - 5/7/2012 10:09:00 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

Oh, Total Recall? Sorry.I saw that your reply was to stevenMcEpic who mentioned The Thing, so I put 2 and 2 together and got 168

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Best non CGI, Best CGI Scene Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI