Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses...

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 5/7/2012 12:53:32 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

And if that is the case, surely Katie Holmes knew about all this before she let that grinning loon put his space-cock anywwhere near her? I'm all for sideing with her in this case but jesus, a man on a flying horse could see he (and the cult) were severely dangerous long before they wed so she was either a) oblivious, b) brainwashed (which has got to be a lot harder to do than it was in Spiderman:The Movier) or c) didn't really give a fuck as long as she had her face in the magazines and all the luxury Lil' Tommy could afford.
So I'm finding it hard to feel that sorry for her.
It's the same waith Paul Haggis. A clearly intelligent, self-aware bloke who now speaks eloquently about his dislike of the religion. But you were still in it for thirty years, mate. Thirty years. What the fuck were you thinking?

There's still the question of whether he did or not, I'm sure there's a touch of the Travolta's about him.

You're right, what I should've said was 'before she let that grinning loon put his test-tube of space smegma and turkey baster anywhere near her'.

< Message edited by horribleives -- 5/7/2012 12:54:32 PM >

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 181
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 5/7/2012 1:10:07 PM   
great_badir

quote:

It's the same waith Paul Haggis. A clearly intelligent, self-aware bloke who now speaks eloquently about his dislike of the religion. But you were still in it for thirty years, mate. Thirty years. What the fuck were you thinking?

Sadly a question you can throw at a lot of the celebs who are members. But then Peaches Geldof is a member too, so she probably off-sets a lot of the intelligence...

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 182
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 5/7/2012 1:14:19 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

quote:

Sadly a question you can throw at a lot of the celebs who are members. But then Peaches Geldof is a member too, so she probably off-sets a lot of the intelligence...

Didn't Paul Haggis leave specifically over the cults attitude towards homosexuality? Which is why Cruise can't be that way, since surely he'd never make it to Number 3 (or whatever) if he was. Either that or they practice what they preach and 'cured' him.

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 183
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 5/7/2012 1:20:56 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 184
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 5/7/2012 1:23:01 PM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

That isn't quite right. There is a generational aspect here - there's a book called Field of Blood which describes the oppressive domestic atmosphere in a Catholic household as the background - the limitations that were set for the daughter who was simply expected to marry and reproduce (and suffered the frustration of the mother who'd kowtowed to that).

I knew households like that growing up but, at that point, the church itself seemed to depend on the priest. So my friends never had much of a problem with the church, but more what an older version of it had done to the generation before - but I have no problem believing there are still individuals out there who are fully on board with that church's view of women (simply look at the attitude they're throwing at those terribly stroppy US nuns who dare to think for themselves).

So not that long ago this wouldn't be the case of a one-off nutcase. Stories of the Magdalene Asylums and schools run by martinet nuns keeping particularly girls in their place are far from urban legends. So I have no problem believing that even though many parts of the Catholic Church have taken on an outwardly modern view, some bits are still stuck fairly back in the dark ages in terms of sexual politics. I'm sure it's the same in other religions - I knew one person who'd more impact directly from attitudes in the Church of Scotland to male friendships. But remember we live in Scotland - we have a mouthy head of the catholic church who keeps trying to direct regressive legislation to affect us all. It's hardly much of a step.

But the outside chance of ending up with a nutter for a priest vs the certainty of being indoctrinated into the nuthouse isn't much of a contest?

I was taking from experience, as I've witnessed both sides of the two religions. To me that was an accurate description. Also, you could argue that a lot of religions are suppressive in different ways. Muslim women, for example are way more suppressed (IMHO) than Catholic women are/ were.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Funkyrae

Also, why not try bringing up birth control? It still isn't legal to have an abortion in heavily Catholic Ireland unless there's a threat to the mother's life. That's not giving a woman any control over whether or not she has the choice to be a mother, according to the church anyway. One of my cousins has been heavily ostracised by her husband's family for coming to the mainland to have an abortion. The fact that according to all the scans, the child was severely disabled and if it wasn't stillborn it wouldn't have lived for long and would have been in extreme amounts of pain not meaning a damned thing to them. So her choice? Give birth to something destined for pain and suffering or lose her husband's family. Sadly, that's not an isolated case.

But this is far from topic.

This I can relate to somewhat. I had the unfortunate experience of going through a termination two years ago. I couldn't tell my Irish Catholic mother, as I knew what her first reaction would be to it. However, she wouldn't of abandoned me and also I know she would of gotten over it with time. Still, I felt my life at that point would have been easier not telling her. As I said in my response to elab, a lot of religions are suppressive and especially to women as they are so old in their beliefs over the womens' role. I think when you look at religions like Islam the Catholic church is slightly looser in its views today.

Art

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 185
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 5/7/2012 1:27:19 PM   
elab49

Could we remind people of board libel rules before the discussion gets a bit too bound up in someones sexuality please?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to NinjaShortbread212)
Post #: 186
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 5/7/2012 1:29:45 PM   
jcthefirst

Was thinking that, however I may have already entered 'a touch of the Travolta's' into my memory banks for future usage.   

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 187
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 5/7/2012 1:32:32 PM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

quote:

quote:

quote:

Out of curiosity, what's the situation with the two adopted children he has with Nicole? Are they members? How does the custody situation work with those two?

I'm pretty sure she never sees them.

And if that is the case, surely Katie Holmes knew about all this before she let that grinning loon put his space-cock anywwhere near her? I'm all for sideing with her in this case but jesus, a man on a flying horse could see he (and the cult) were severely dangerous long before they wed so she was either a) oblivious, b) brainwashed (which has got to be a lot harder to do than it was in Spiderman:The Movier) or c) didn't really give a fuck as long as she had her face in the magazines and all the luxury Lil' Tommy could afford.
So I'm finding it hard to feel that sorry for her.

Classic

he's ruining my buestiful threat!

"She must have known about all this before she let that grinning loon put his space-cock anywhere near her?"
horribleives

Post #: 188
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 5/7/2012 1:34:57 PM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

quote:

Out of curiosity, what's the situation with the two adopted children he has with Nicole? Are they members? How does the custody situation work with those two?

She does 'sometimes' apparently- click

The question is, how can two children under the age of ten 'choose' which parent they want to live with?

Also why does Nicole say:
"They are healthy and sane and together and are great, great people"
Why wouldn't they be sane, do most parents go through this worry?

"She must have known about all this before she let that grinning loon put his space-cock anywhere near her?"
horribleives

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 189
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 5/7/2012 1:36:08 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

quote:

Didn't Paul Haggis leave specifically over the cults attitude towards homosexuality? Which is why Cruise can't be that way, since surely he'd never make it to Number 3 (or whatever) if he was. Either that or they practice what they preach and 'cured' him.

Apparently, which is commendable but it does make you question his judgement/sanity if that was the only thing that bothered him. Most well-known religions are homophobic - it's what they do. I'd have been more concerned about scientology's attiudes to learning disabilities, mental health etc.

< Message edited by horribleives -- 5/7/2012 1:47:31 PM >

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 190
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 5/7/2012 1:38:55 PM   
Chief

quote:

Could we remind people of board libel rules before the discussion gets a bit too bound up in someones sexuality please?

Apologies.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 191
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 5/7/2012 1:41:31 PM   
NinjaShortbread212

My eyes, my eyes!

Art

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 192
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 5/7/2012 1:41:59 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Did your mum give you permission to post that pic of her?

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 193
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 5/7/2012 1:42:58 PM   
superdan

Hawt.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 194
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 5/7/2012 1:44:03 PM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

would you though?

horribleives

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 195
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 5/7/2012 1:45:17 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kilo_T_Mortal

would you though?

If she shaved. If not I'd just have to pretend she was a French.

(in reply to Kilo_T_Mortal)
Post #: 196
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 5/7/2012 1:49:27 PM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

Did your mum give you permission to post that pic of her?

No, but I thought I'd do it anyway to show where I've inherited my good looks from.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 197
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 5/7/2012 1:50:16 PM   
horribleives

quote:

would you though?

If it was a choice between that and Kirstie Alley, I'd take the tashy blonde any day of the week.

Post #: 198
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 5/7/2012 1:55:48 PM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The question is, how can two children under the age of ten 'choose' which parent they want to live with?

Aye, when I ask my mates how the bairns are getting on they hardly ever say 'Great, Jack just got his 5 metres badge, Lily's joined the Brownies and so far neither of them have started hearing voices telling them to set their grandma's hair on fire'

Post #: 199
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 5/7/2012 1:55:51 PM   
great_badir

quote:

quote:

would you though?

If it was a choice between that and Kirstie Alley, I'd take the tashy blonde any day of the week.

I thought Kirstie Alley had got "hawt" again? No?

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

Post #: 200
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 5/7/2012 1:59:07 PM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

quote:

would you though?

I thought Kirstie Alley had got "hawt" again? No?

She must be going through one of her Not-Fat phases. It'll pass.

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 201
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 5/7/2012 2:09:30 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah, the whole thing is weird. Why wouldn't they be 'great, great people' either? It reads as though she is relieved. This is just pointless speculation, obviously.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

Post #: 202
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 5/7/2012 2:30:06 PM   
blackduck

The Nicole Kidman thing was weird, it looks like the kids chose to stay with Tom, cut off almont all contact with her (they even started calling Katie Mom) and she just shrugged her shoulders and said "meh".

I am but an egg.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 203
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 5/7/2012 4:46:25 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 204
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 5/7/2012 7:04:20 PM   
Rinc

Let's all just agree that all religions are bad.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 205
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 5/7/2012 7:12:33 PM   
Shifty Bench

Hmmmm....there appears to be a Rinc-shaped hole in the wall

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 206
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 5/7/2012 9:17:58 PM   
Lazarus munkey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

Let's all just agree that all religions are bad.

^This. Every day, this.

"Because I got the answers"

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
The Amazing Spider-Man 3/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 207
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 5/7/2012 9:20:42 PM   
paul.mccluskey

quote:

ORIGINAL: blackduck

The Nicole Kidman thing was weird, it looks like the kids chose to stay with Tom, cut off almont all contact with her (they even started calling Katie Mom) and she just shrugged her shoulders and said "meh".

From what I said in a previous post, she was labelled a suppressive by the CoS, that's why there's little contact. The kids are members.

(in reply to blackduck)
Post #: 208
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 5/7/2012 9:25:20 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

I'd go more with Badir's earlier post as the easy answer - it's bollocks because it's a pyramid scheme. A cash cow. Created as a cynical money-making enterprise. By a bad SF writer (and yes, I've read the entire Mission Earth because I was young and I'd read anything ).

At least with religion you get a general feeling some of the higher ups actually believe the whole god thing.

This is my favourite post of the whole thread.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 209
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 5/7/2012 9:31:41 PM   
Lazarus munkey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

quote:

I'd go more with Badir's earlier post as the easy answer - it's bollocks because it's a pyramid scheme. A cash cow. Created as a cynical money-making enterprise. By a bad SF writer (and yes, I've read the entire Mission Earth because I was young and I'd read anything ).

At least with religion you get a general feeling some of the higher ups actually believe the whole god thing.

This is my favourite post of the whole thread.

I think that the idea of ruthless people fleecing the gullible for cash is slightly easier to take than people believing in someone who's his own father.

"Because I got the answers"

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
The Amazing Spider-Man 3/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI