Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses...

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 4/7/2012 1:54:28 AM   
Hood_Man

I might have been to that Church of Scientology in Edinburgh, is it remotely near the Edinburgh Mile? Me and some mates went on holiday there a few years ago to get drunk for 4 days (and a "bit" of sight seeing), and while out walking one day 2 of the guys with us suddenly felt the desperate urge for a piss, and we happened to walk past a building that they thought looked welcoming.

Ater they went in it turned out there was a plaque on the wall saying "Church of Scientology."

We were a bit worried, but rather than go in after them we just stoof by the entrance taking photos of each of us standing next to the plaque and pointing at it, with expressions on our faces like those Watchdog episodes when people on holiday point to mould and wall cracks in their photos.

Apparently they were asked to do the questionnaire, but were told to leave when they said they only wanted to use the loo

That's my mundane run in with Scientology.

(in reply to Lazarus munkey)
Post #: 151
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 4/7/2012 1:56:51 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

I might have been to that Church of Scientology in Edinburgh, is it remotely near the Edinburgh Mile? Me and some mates went on holiday there a few years ago to get drunk for 4 days (and a "bit" of sight seeing), and while out walking one day 2 of the guys with us suddenly felt the desperate urge for a piss, and we happened to walk past a building that they thought looked welcoming.

Ater they went in it turned out there was a plaque on the wall saying "Church of Scientology."

We were a bit worried, but rather than go in after them we just stoof by the entrance taking photos of each of us standing next to the plaque and pointing at it, with expressions on our faces like those Watchdog episodes when people on holiday point to mould and wall cracks in their photos.

Apparently they were asked to do the questionnaire, but were told to leave when they said they only wanted to use the loo

That's my mundane run in with Scientology.

LOL - Yes! I think that's definitely the place. It's literally a doorway you walk past and once inside, just stairs spiralling upwards. God, so they're still doing that blinking test thing? Ha. Madness.

Art

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 152
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 4/7/2012 7:39:40 AM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

At last, Dawson can be happy.

he's ruining my buestiful threat!

"She must have known about all this before she let that grinning loon put his space-cock anywhere near her?"
horribleives

(in reply to NinjaShortbread212)
Post #: 153
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 4/7/2012 7:55:10 AM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kilo_T_Mortal

At last, Dawson can be happy.

It's Pacey I'm pleased for.

(in reply to Kilo_T_Mortal)
Post #: 154
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 4/7/2012 8:39:02 AM   
Funkyrae

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

I think Funlyrae is being a tad presumptuous about da Catholics no?

Nope, not in the slightest. Nothing in my statement was presumptuous at all. The great majority of my family are Irish Catholic, they were indoctrinated by the schools they went to, this is what you're meant to believe, this is how you're meant to act, this is what your life has in store for you. Personal experience doesn't make a presumption. I'm good friends with plenty of Catholic girls, all of which were all given an incredible sense of guilt from the word go. A very good friend of mine, raised Catholic; both her parents committed suicide, her wonderful Catholic school told her that her parents would be burning in Hell for all eternity and that it was her fault. Nice way to screw someone up for life. For the record, that's Cardiff - not some backwater village where people have tails and webbed feet.

That's me that is!

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 155
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 4/7/2012 11:30:26 AM   
jediwarrior

quote:

ORIGINAL: Funkyrae

For the record, that's Cardiff - not some backwater village where people have tails and webbed feet.

Hold on that is Cardiff ain't it

GAMERTAG: hothtrooper

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 156
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 4/7/2012 12:00:34 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

Nope, not in the slightest. Nothing in my statement was presumptuous at all. The great majority of my family are Irish Catholic, they were indoctrinated by the schools they went to, this is what you're meant to believe, this is how you're meant to act, this is what your life has in store for you. Personal experience doesn't make a presumption. I'm good friends with plenty of Catholic girls, all of which were all given an incredible sense of guilt from the word go. A very good friend of mine, raised Catholic; both her parents committed suicide, her wonderful Catholic school told her that her parents would be burning in Hell for all eternity and that it was her fault. Nice way to screw someone up for life. For the record, that's Cardiff - not some backwater village where people have tails and webbed feet.

I don't think it's just Catholic girls either, I had a similar experience growing up (raised Catholic, went thru Catholic school system). While not as extreme as the case of your friend I do maintain a terrible guilt complex that has resulted in a real anxiety problem.

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 157
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 4/7/2012 1:36:49 PM   
st3veebee

Raised a Protestant. You go to the church, sing a few hymns, have a cup of tea, everybody goes home and has a wank.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 158
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 4/7/2012 3:52:12 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

quote:

You're still assuming that this is the way for all people raised Irish Catholic though.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 159
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 4/7/2012 6:26:12 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

quote:

quote:

You're still assuming that this is the way for all people raised Irish Catholic though.

I think it was more that that's what the Catholic Church does, rather than the people that are raised that way turn out to be.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 160
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 4/7/2012 6:36:13 PM   
Funkyrae

Thank you JC.

That's me that is!

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 161
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 4/7/2012 9:16:53 PM   
Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think it was more that that's what the Catholic Church does, rather than the people that are raised that way turn out to be.

I still don't think it's an accurate description of what the Catholic Church does though. I'm not even making excuses for the church, after 13 years of Catholic school and coming from an Irish Catholic family, I don't believe in any religion and think it's all bollocks.

But after asking my mum and sister, and never having heard anything from my female catholic friends, none of them got the impression the Catholic Church tried to tell them they should only be wives and mothers.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 162
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 4/7/2012 10:26:51 PM   
jcthefirst

I was going for the guilt thing more than anything else.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 163
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 4/7/2012 11:06:39 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

quote:

We're people too, you know, damnit.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 164
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 5/7/2012 1:04:25 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

I still don't think it's an accurate description of what the Catholic Church does though.

No, nor do I.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

But after asking my mum and sister, and never having heard anything from my female catholic friends, none of them got the impression the Catholic Church tried to tell them they should only be wives and mothers.

I haven't heard of this either to be honest. The Catholic Church would not want you to be married or a mother, if it wasn't what you wanted at heart, otherwise (in their eyes) the marriage would be seen as a sham. My mum is Irish and brought us up to go to Church every Sunday but I have never heard of that before.

The unfortunate event with Funky's friend, I'm sure could and does happen in any religion and as sad and wrong as it was to blame her on her loss, that's not something I could see any Church just throwing out verbally, there was clearly something wrong with the individual who said that to be honest with you.

Art

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 165
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 5/7/2012 9:12:26 AM   
elab49

That isn't quite right. There is a generational aspect here - there's a book called Field of Blood which describes the oppressive domestic atmosphere in a Catholic household as the background - the limitations that were set for the daughter who was simply expected to marry and reproduce (and suffered the frustration of the mother who'd kowtowed to that).

I knew households like that growing up but, at that point, the church itself seemed to depend on the priest. So my friends never had much of a problem with the church, but more what an older version of it had done to the generation before - but I have no problem believing there are still individuals out there who are fully on board with that church's view of women (simply look at the attitude they're throwing at those terribly stroppy US nuns who dare to think for themselves).

So not that long ago this wouldn't be the case of a one-off nutcase. Stories of the Magdalene Asylums and schools run by martinet nuns keeping particularly girls in their place are far from urban legends. So I have no problem believing that even though many parts of the Catholic Church have taken on an outwardly modern view, some bits are still stuck fairly back in the dark ages in terms of sexual politics. I'm sure it's the same in other religions - I knew one person who'd more impact directly from attitudes in the Church of Scotland to male friendships. But remember we live in Scotland - we have a mouthy head of the catholic church who keeps trying to direct regressive legislation to affect us all. It's hardly much of a step.

But the outside chance of ending up with a nutter for a priest vs the certainty of being indoctrinated into the nuthouse isn't much of a contest?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to NinjaShortbread212)
Post #: 166
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 5/7/2012 9:27:19 AM   
Funkyrae

Also, why not try bringing up birth control? It still isn't legal to have an abortion in heavily Catholic Ireland unless there's a threat to the mother's life. That's not giving a woman any control over whether or not she has the choice to be a mother, according to the church anyway. One of my cousins has been heavily ostracised by her husband's family for coming to the mainland to have an abortion. The fact that according to all the scans, the child was severely disabled and if it wasn't stillborn it wouldn't have lived for long and would have been in extreme amounts of pain not meaning a damned thing to them. So her choice? Give birth to something destined for pain and suffering or lose her husband's family. Sadly, that's not an isolated case.

But this is far from topic.

That's me that is!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 167
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 5/7/2012 9:56:05 AM   
ooty

go for it katy!!

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 168
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 5/7/2012 10:04:13 AM   
Sinatra

quote:

Strange because Tom Cruise want the divorce proceedings to happen in an LA court instead of New York. It does appear Scientology has a greater influence in that area than people would like to admit.

There may be some truth to that, but the main reason is that Katie filed from New York as there is a much greater chance of gaining sole custody compared to LA courts.

Good luck to her... from the pictures I have seen she just looks plain angry. I thinka lot of interesting facts may come out from this divorce. I still think Cruise is gay.

(in reply to ooty)
Post #: 169
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 5/7/2012 10:17:20 AM   
elab49

It can't be joint custody either way. The way Scientology works you can't have that - Holmes will now be a suppressive person which means a cut-off of all contact.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 170
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 5/7/2012 11:15:52 AM   
Sinatra

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

It can't be joint custody either way. The way Scientology works you can't have that - Holmes will now be a suppressive person which means a cut-off of all contact.

Unless Cruise grows some bollocks....

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 171
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 5/7/2012 11:28:12 AM   
elab49

But he isn't just a member, he's one of the most senior people in the cult.

Although, amusingly, if he left it could well collapse.

quote:

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 172
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 5/7/2012 11:53:46 AM   
Funkyrae

Out of curiosity, what's the situation with the two adopted children he has with Nicole? Are they members? How does the custody situation work with those two?

That's me that is!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 173
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 5/7/2012 12:02:24 PM   
horribleives

quote:

Out of curiosity, what's the situation with the two adopted children he has with Nicole? Are they members? How does the custody situation work with those two?

I'm pretty sure she never sees them.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 174
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 5/7/2012 12:08:06 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

And if that is the case, surely Katie Holmes knew about all this before she let that grinning loon put his space-cock anywwhere near her? I'm all for sideing with her in this case but jesus, a man on a flying horse could see he (and the cult) were severely dangerous long before they wed so she was either a) oblivious, b) brainwashed (which has got to be a lot harder to do than it was in Spiderman:The Movier) or c) didn't really give a fuck as long as she had her face in the magazines and all the luxury Lil' Tommy could afford.
So I'm finding it hard to feel that sorry for her.
It's the same waith Paul Haggis. A clearly intelligent, self-aware bloke who now speaks eloquently about his dislike of the religion. But you were still in it for thirty years, mate. Thirty years. What the fuck were you thinking?

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 175
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 5/7/2012 12:12:52 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

quote:

She does 'sometimes' apparently- click

The question is, how can two children under the age of ten 'choose' which parent they want to live with?

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 5/7/2012 12:13:26 PM >

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

Post #: 176
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 5/7/2012 12:20:48 PM   
Titanm21

[/quote]

And if that is the case, surely Katie Holmes knew about all this before she let that grinning loon put his space-cock anywwhere near her? I'm all for sideing with her in this case but jesus, a man on a flying horse could see he (and the cult) were severely dangerous long before they wed so she was either a) oblivious, b) brainwashed (which has got to be a lot harder to do than it was in Spiderman:The Movier) or c) didn't really give a fuck as long as she had her face in the magazines and all the luxury Lil' Tommy could afford.
It's the same waith Paul Haggis. A clearly intelligent, self-aware bloke who now speaks eloquently about his dislike of the religion. But you were still in it for thirty years, mate. Thirty years. What the fuck were you thinking?
[/quote]

Or D) She loved him and he convinced her it'll be all alright. She doesn;t have to be a gold digger to marry him. Christ i bet he had his money tied away from her before she marryied him so they'd be no chance of her getting any. The CoS would have seen to that.

Either way its the kid i feel sorry for, regardless of the reasons her mam and dad who she lovea are splitting up. And in the next few years she can google it and read all the BS, so aye... happy times for her then

www.TrailerHouseMusings@Blogspot.com

Join us for all the latest trailers in the world of Gaming, TV and Movies [also Facebook and Twitter]

Post #: 177
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 5/7/2012 12:45:15 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Titanm21

quote:

Or D) She loved him and he convinced her it'll be all alright. She doesn;t have to be a gold digger to marry him. Christ i bet he had his money tied away from her before she marryied him so they'd be no chance of her getting any. The CoS would have seen to that.

Either way its the kid i feel sorry for, regardless of the reasons her mam and dad who she lovea are splitting up. And in the next few years she can google it and read all the BS, so aye... happy times for her then

Isn't that the same as B?

< Message edited by horribleives -- 5/7/2012 12:49:51 PM >

(in reply to Titanm21)
Post #: 178
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 5/7/2012 12:47:56 PM   
Chief

quote:

There's still the question of whether he did or not, I'm sure there's a touch of the Travolta's about him.

Post #: 179
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 5/7/2012 12:53:21 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief
There's still the question of whether he did or not, I'm sure there's a touch of the Travolta's about him.

< Message edited by superdan -- 5/7/2012 12:54:47 PM >

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI