Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses...

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 3/7/2012 2:06:27 PM   
Woger

Bowfinger doen a good piss take of the celebrity cults.

Then there's the movementarians

I used to have some respect for Cruise for the way he would interact with fans but I remember talking to someone who more or less said that inorder for someone to take scientology seriously they need to be seriously, seriously f***ed in the head, since then my views have really changed and I think he is little more than a feeble minded moron.

< Message edited by Woger -- 3/7/2012 2:07:42 PM >

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 121
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 3/7/2012 2:09:08 PM   
st3veebee

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: NinjaShortbread212
quote:

ORIGINAL: donethinking

I just hope she gets sole custody and cruise is left thinking where it all went wrong....3 divorces Tom, scientology really seems to be working for ya!

Word.

You could easily argue it the other way, though...

But yeah - I hope she does get sole custody too, otherwise that kid's gonna be turned into a mentalist. Katie Holmes seems like too level headed a person for her to lose out on this.

But...but...she married Tom Cruise in the first place. She can hardly be that sane. I also disagree with automatically siding with her regarding the custody, has there every been proof that Tom was a bad father?

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

Post #: 122
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 3/7/2012 2:14:32 PM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

ORIGINAL: Woger

Then there's the movementarians

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

quote:

quote:

quote:

I just hope she gets sole custody and cruise is left thinking where it all went wrong....3 divorces Tom, scientology really seems to be working for ya!

Word.

But yeah - I hope she does get sole custody too, otherwise that kid's gonna be turned into a mentalist. Katie Holmes seems like too level headed a person for her to lose out on this.

But...but...she married Tom Cruise in the first place. She can hardly be that sane. I also disagree with automatically siding with her regarding the custody, has there every been proof that Tom was a bad father?

Good point and I think that Tom very much dotes on his daughter, just you'd kind of hope and pray that she would get to avoid the Scientologist's upbringing.

Interesting Fact: If you hurt yourself (say, if you cut your finger or something), you're not allowed to express pain, you have to remain silent and have silence around you. So that you don't associate that noise with pain in the future.

< Message edited by NinjaShortbread212 -- 3/7/2012 2:15:31 PM >

Art

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 123
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 3/7/2012 2:17:52 PM   
Woger

With respect to children and scientology; at least the "religion" doesm't make young boys have their turtle neck chopped off (although there has been a ruling in Germany about this recently).

Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to NinjaShortbread212)
Post #: 124
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 3/7/2012 2:36:34 PM   
Chief

quote:

With respect to children and scientology; at least the "religion" doesm't make young boys have their turtle neck chopped off (although there has been a ruling in Germany about this recently).

That's true, circumcision is fucking barbaric.

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 125
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 3/7/2012 2:51:32 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

I find it unlikely that The Simpson's would take the piss out of Scientology considering Nancy Cartwright (the voice of Bart) is a member.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 126
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 3/7/2012 3:55:07 PM   
Invader_Ace

Tell that to Chef.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 127
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 3/7/2012 4:31:00 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

quote:

quote:

quote:

Word.

If he was about to enroll her in the Sea Org (something many are saying he was planning as 7 is the age where that part can start) which is essentially the brainwashed heart of Scientology (mixed in with slave labour of 18 hour work days for $18 a day and living in basic dorms and having to work even after a twelve hour "training" regime) and if even a fifth of the claims of those who managed to get away are true then he would indeed be an awful father.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 128
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 3/7/2012 6:27:36 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

I find it unlikely that The Simpson's would take the piss out of Scientology considering Nancy Cartwright (the voice of Bart) is a member.

You can see the picture, right?

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 129
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 3/7/2012 6:38:40 PM   
Woger

quote:

quote:

She could have lost the plot after the episode.

- - -

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 130
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 3/7/2012 7:02:24 PM   
horribleives

quote:

Good point and I think that Tom very much dotes on his daughter, just you'd kind of hope and pray that she would get to avoid the Scientologist's upbringing.

If not I just hope and pray she isn't autistic.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to NinjaShortbread212)
Post #: 131
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 3/7/2012 7:04:20 PM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

quote:

Perhaps she just has a sense of humour where Isaac Hayes had none?

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 132
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 3/7/2012 8:12:24 PM   
Funkyrae

quote:

But being automatically enrolled in a Catholic pre-school and having her mother's religion being the major part of her upbringing is ok?

That's me that is!

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 133
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 3/7/2012 8:14:55 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Funkyrae

quote:

But being automatically enrolled in a Catholic pre-school and having her mother's religion being the major part of her upbringing is ok?

Dunno, but it's more okay than treating six year olds like miniature adults and making them work 12 hour shifts on an ocean liner.

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 134
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 3/7/2012 8:16:18 PM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

quote:

quote:

Perhaps she just has a sense of humour where Isaac Hayes had none?

I'm sure I read somewhere they had to drop a Scientology based storyline/gag when Cartwright threatened to quit and that's how everyone found out.

Yeah, I think I read something similar. But surely in over 20 years there must've been the odd gag about it?

< Message edited by horribleives -- 3/7/2012 8:36:03 PM >
Post #: 135
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 3/7/2012 8:17:02 PM   
Ghidorah

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst
Half the people? I thought it was just Lee and Ethan Suplee. I know they're the two main characters, but the show was hardly forcing Scientology beliefs (Scientological?) down your throat.

Quite a few of the other side cast members (including Giovanni "Vonni" Ribisi - one of a very small number of celebs raised scientologist) and crew are scientologists, but Greg Garcia (who is NOT a scientologist) claims that it's merely a coincidence, using most of the rest of the main cast (none of whom are scientologists or, at least, have said they are) and writers as proof of that.

There are quite a few theories on the web that say the basic premise of the show is very similar to certain scientologist teachings, but the response to that is usually "but if it's just telling you to be a good person, what does it matter?!?!?" There's certainly been nothing in the show (as far as I remember) about believing in alien ghosts or any promotion of cash pyramid schemes with religion as a front, but you could also argue that the whole thetan levels thing bears remarkable similarities to the spiritual well being (or otherwise) of the characters in the show.

It probably IS just coincidence - you can read anything into anything if you try hard enough.

Strange because Tom Cruise want the divorce proceedings to happen in an LA court instead of New York. It does appear Scientology has a greater influence in that area than people would like to admit.

Post #: 136
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 3/7/2012 9:04:43 PM   
Funkyrae

quote:

quote:

quote:

Dunno, but it's more okay than treating six year olds like miniature adults and making them work 12 hour shifts on an ocean liner.

Perhaps, but giving them a sense of guilt that it's almost impossible to get over (ask any Catholic girl) as well as indoctrinating them into believing that they can't be anything more than a wife or a mother doesn't exactly seem to be the best idea either.

That's me that is!

Post #: 137
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 3/7/2012 9:12:18 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Perhaps, but giving them a sense of guilt that it's almost impossible to get over (ask any Catholic girl) as well as indoctrinating them into believing that they can't be anything more than a wife or a mother doesn't exactly seem to be the best idea either.

Or, she'll become an actress. The poor kid doesn't stand a chance in either situation.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 138
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 3/7/2012 9:15:19 PM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

True, I'm no fan of catholicism but I'm sure I'm not the only person who knows plenty of people who were brought up catholic and didn't turn out that way. Whether the shackles of being told from a young age you're not a human being but the soul of a dead alien are easier or harder to cast off is open to debate.

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 139
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 3/7/2012 9:16:20 PM   
horribleives

Mind, I know the odd catholic who grew up to batshit insane too so what do I know.

Post #: 140
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 3/7/2012 9:56:58 PM   
Rinc

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

True, I'm no fan of catholicism but I'm sure I'm not the only person who knows plenty of people who were brought up catholic and didn't turn out that way. Whether the shackles of being told from a young age you're not a human being but the soul of a dead alien are easier or harder to cast off is open to debate.

My mum, sisters and aunties didn't turn out that way either. Don't know if they feel any guilt but they were never indoctrinated to believe they should just be a wife or mother.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

Post #: 141
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 3/7/2012 10:12:13 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ghidorah
It does appear Scientology has a greater influence in that area than people would like to admit.

I don't think anyone is under the illusion that scientology doesn't have a major influence on Hollywood - after all, most of the highest power scientologists (who aren't leaders of the church) are involved in showbiz in one form or another.

With regards catholicism (you'll notice I'm giving all of them lower case first letters - on purpose), I don't think anyone should be indoctrinated into anything and should be allowed to make their own choice when they are old enough (a little piece of me dies every time I hear a right-on veggie or vegan who has bought their child up on the same restrictive diets, without giving them a chance to form their own opinion). However, there is still a major difference between scientology and most other religions - with scientology, if you leave it you are ex-communicated from your life and your family, as has been said many times. If you then criticise, there's a good chance you'll be ostracised by everyone. In most cases with most other religions, if you leave those religions the worst that can happen is your mum and your priest will be a bit naused off with you for a little bit. Granted, there is the odd exception, but they are just that - exceptions. With scientology, it is not only common practice, but almost "religious" law.

< Message edited by great_badir -- 3/7/2012 10:13:13 PM >

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 142
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 4/7/2012 12:10:37 AM   
Spaldron

I think Funlyrae is being a tad presumptuous about da Catholics no?

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

Post #: 143
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 4/7/2012 12:26:41 AM   
elab49

quote:

It sounds more as if Funky is speaking from what is clearly an unpleasant experience which is a bit different.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 144
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 4/7/2012 12:34:22 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

If he was about to enroll her in the Sea Org (something many are saying he was planning as 7 is the age where that part can start) which is essentially the brainwashed heart of Scientology (mixed in with slave labour of 18 hour work days for $18 a day and living in basic dorms and having to work even after a twelve hour "training" regime) and if even a fifth of the claims of those who managed to get away are true then he would indeed be an awful father.

Don't get me started on the bloody Sea Org!

quote:

quote:

I never said that. Plus, I had a strict Catholic upbringing and have also worked as a Staff member in Edinburgh's Scientologist Org.

Having experience in this matter and having witnessed first hand both religions, I know what I would choose for my children.

Art

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 145
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 4/7/2012 12:41:05 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

It sounds more as if Funky is speaking from what is clearly an unpleasant experience which is a bit different.

Which, from what I've read in this thread, is what Ninj is also doing

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 146
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 4/7/2012 12:50:25 AM   
elab49

I wasn't saying otherwise - I just wouldn't characterise Funky's comments in the way Spaldron worded his post. Speaking from personal experience wouldn't be 'presumptious'. 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 147
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 4/7/2012 1:11:19 AM   
Shifty Bench

I know a few Catholic girls who haven't had the same terrible experiences Funky has apparently had. Girls who are very happy with their lives and religion. I'm not defending any religion. I think it's all a bag of shite, but from what I have read, both ladies have had bad experiences, it doesn't help if anyone (including Spaldron) go on the defensive.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 148
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 4/7/2012 1:17:41 AM   
elab49

Hence the comment regarding Spaldron's post. It wasn't an endorsement of Funky's point of view or any form of statement on how generally it could be applied.

I could go further than you in that I don't know any women brought up Catholic who would have such an extreme view either. The only person I know with limitations placed on them (or the attempt to - she found lots of way around it ) was actually Church of Scotland!

quote:

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 149
RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... - 4/7/2012 1:44:03 AM   
Lazarus munkey

The methods of Scientology are insane and it baffles me how any right-thinking adult can do this to another human, especially a child.

Giving them wine and saying it's the blood of someone who's his own father and ghost who sacrificed himself to himself as an apology to himself for what we did because he predetermined we would?

That's more like it.

"Because I got the answers"

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
The Amazing Spider-Man 3/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Katie Holmes comes to her senses... Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI