Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: top 5 spielberg directed movies

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: top 5 spielberg directed movies Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: top 5 spielberg directed movies - 10/8/2012 8:47:34 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beetlejuice!

He's a little over-rated really isn't he, but here's my top 5:

1. Schindler's List - 9/10
2. Raiders of the Lost Ark - 9/10
3. Jurassic Park - 8/10
4. Saving Private Ryan - 8/10
5. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial - 8/10

Yet all the films in your top five have really high marks out of ten......

My top Spielberg films would as well. There'd just be a really big drop-off after the top seven or so.

Yeah, but if you give even 7 Spielberg films 8 or 9 out of ten, that's not really overrated, is it? If you gave them 5, 6 or even 7 and were just settling on films of a director you think is overrated, that's different. My top five has Duel in it because I couldn't think of another of his films I really love but I still don't consider him over rated.....because I score five of his films very highly

But 7 out of what? 29/30? That's less than a 1/4 - I don't think that's particularly great. And given Spielberg won the greatest director of all time poll in Empire, as well as the kudos elsewhere, that's a pretty poor hit rate, if that's your view of the films. In that context I don't see a problem with the use of the word.

For me, in the last 2 decades, there's only a couple I'd really even rate. And, even then, not that highly in context, I just kind of enjoyed most of them.

I wonder how Woody Allen would score as a hit rate. He churns out a film a year, but his best films are amazing. I know there's the whole "you're only as good as your last film" argument, but there's merit in taking the best films to counteract the worst. To use a timely metaphor - the Olympics medal table counts gold medals more strongly: ie, a country with 3 golds and 1 bronze is ahead of the country with 1 gold, 2 silver, and 3 bronze, even with fewer medals.

So it is with films: the better films count more strongly in a director's favour than the weaker films count against them. And Spielberg and Allen have both directed some stonkingly good films that do a lot of good where the poorer films they have made (and they have both made some dreary films) do less.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 31
RE: top 5 spielberg directed movies - 10/8/2012 8:54:09 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

3. Jurassic Park - 8/10

My top Spielberg films would as well. There'd just be a really big drop-off after the top seven or so.

Yeah, but if you give even 7 Spielberg films 8 or 9 out of ten, that's not really overrated, is it? If you gave them 5, 6 or even 7 and were just settling on films of a director you think is overrated, that's different. My top five has Duel in it because I couldn't think of another of his films I really love but I still don't consider him over rated.....because I score five of his films very highly

But 7 out of what? 29/30? That's less than a 1/4 - I don't think that's particularly great. And given Spielberg won the greatest director of all time poll in Empire, as well as the kudos elsewhere, that's a pretty poor hit rate, if that's your view of the films. In that context I don't see a problem with the use of the word.

For me, in the last 2 decades, there's only a couple I'd really even rate. And, even then, not that highly in context, I just kind of enjoyed most of them.

I'd call three Spielberg films classics - Jaws, Duel, Raiders.

After that there's a handful I really like. - Tintin, Something Evil, Last Crusade, Close Encounters

But he's made at least ten I dislike for various reasons. - Jurassic Park, Lost World, Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, Color Purple, Amistad, Minority Report, The Terminal, War of the Worlds, Crystal Skull, War Horse. Some of those I just don't think are very good, some I think are abominations.

So I personally can't call him a great director, unless we focus solely on a ten year period between 1971 and 1981. For the most part I'd rather watch the episodes he directed for Columbo and Night Gallery than his output from the last three decades.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 32
RE: top 5 spielberg directed movies - 10/8/2012 8:57:55 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

3. Jurassic Park - 8/10

I wonder how Woody Allen would score as a hit rate. He churns out a film a year, but his best films are amazing. I know there's the whole "you're only as good as your last film" argument, but there's merit in taking the best films to counteract the worst. To use a timely metaphor - the Olympics medal table counts gold medals more strongly: ie, a country with 3 golds and 1 bronze is ahead of the country with 1 gold, 2 silver, and 3 bronze, even with fewer medals.

So it is with films: the better films count more strongly in a director's favour than the weaker films count against them. And Spielberg and Allen have both directed some stonkingly good films that do a lot of good where the poorer films they have made (and they have both made some dreary films) do less.

I'd take everything Allen directed up until 1994 as being either very good or a classic. I have time for his work then up until 2000. It was only from then until last year that I think he was making some really bad films, with Midnight in Paris an excellent return to form.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 33
RE: top 5 spielberg directed movies - 10/8/2012 9:06:23 PM   
elab49

I think that goes to the Director A vs Director B discussion in Movie Musings - so whichever side you take in that might feed into how you feel about Woody Allen.

My preference would be to forcibly remove him from behind a camera and put him out to pasture (and seriously who, when referring to lies told about them, starts referring to them as 'mythologies; - I know it's bias, but it's the same upthearseness that bugged the bejesus out of me in Midnight in Paris).

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 34
RE: top 5 spielberg directed movies - 10/8/2012 9:09:42 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

I think that goes to the Director A vs Director B discussion in Movie Musings - so whichever side you take in that might feed into how you feel about Woody Allen.

It's the same with everything really, there's no objective standard for these things. So even with Matty's discussion about Tony and Ridley purely hypothetical situation, it's impossible to really choose, because one man's classic could be my Gladiator.

quote:

and seriously who, when referring to lies told about them, starts referring to them as 'mythologies

I'm going to start doing that.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 35
RE: top 5 spielberg directed movies - 10/8/2012 9:10:44 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

My preference would be to forcibly remove him from behind a camera and put him out to pasture (and seriously who, when referring to lies told about them, starts referring to them as 'mythologies; - I know it's bias, but it's the same upthearseness that bugged the bejesus out of me in Midnight in Paris).

Ah, the whole enemy of film thing is making more sense now

On the whole I kinda agree with you and rawls though, although I'd have his hit rate at about 50/50.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 36
RE: top 5 spielberg directed movies - 10/8/2012 9:14:56 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

It's the same with everything really, there's no objective standard for these things. So even with Matty's discussion about Tony and Ridley purely hypothetical situation, it's impossible to really choose, because one man's classic could be my Gladiator.

quote:

and seriously who, when referring to lies told about them, starts referring to them as 'mythologies

I'm going to start doing that.

O/T
I was going to have a look at Loving Memory this weeken d- have you seen it?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 37
RE: top 5 spielberg directed movies - 10/8/2012 9:22:00 PM   
rawlinson

The early Tony? I haven't. It looks a very different vibe from his usual stuff.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 38
RE: top 5 spielberg directed movies - 10/8/2012 9:30:56 PM   
elab49

Does sound that way - blurb makes it sound a lot more like the weird and wonderful of the period. 

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 39
RE: top 5 spielberg directed movies - 10/8/2012 9:31:02 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

But he's made at least ten I dislike because I have no soul. - Jurassic Park, Lost World, Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, Color Purple, Amistad, Minority Report, The Terminal, War of the Worlds, Crystal Skull

I are abomination.

And not very good at English either.

PLEASE DON'T SHOUT AT ME FOR EDITING YOUR QUOTED POST, RAWLINSON.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 40
RE: top 5 spielberg directed movies - 10/8/2012 9:32:18 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

But he's made at least ten I dislike because I have no soul. - Jurassic Park, Lost World, Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, Color Purple, Amistad, Minority Report, The Terminal, War of the Worlds, Crystal Skull

I are abomination.

And not very good at English either.

PLEASE DON'T SHOUT AT ME FOR EDITING YOUR QUOTED POST, RAWLINSON.

YOU'RE A MODERATOR FOR CHIST'S SAKE!

Post #: 41
RE: top 5 spielberg directed movies - 10/8/2012 9:32:58 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

Does sound that way - blurb makes it sound a lot more like the weird and wonderful of the period. 

Um...

quote:

A thick head ... creamy and fruity tasting.

interesting sig.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 42
RE: top 5 spielberg directed movies - 10/8/2012 9:37:14 PM   
elab49

What in hells name possessed you to read back through that thread 

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 43
RE: top 5 spielberg directed movies - 10/8/2012 9:38:08 PM   
rawlinson

? You realise it's your sig?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 44
RE: top 5 spielberg directed movies - 10/8/2012 9:48:19 PM   
elab49

No actually, I didn't - thank you. It was in the Smile thread

Does anyone remember what my sig actually was? I've got the feeling it was a link to something.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 45
RE: top 5 spielberg directed movies - 10/8/2012 9:50:27 PM   
rawlinson

Ah damn it, I spoiled a joke. Ah well, who wants a new sig quote?

quote:

A thick head ... creamy and fruity tasting. It is likely Homer's.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 46
RE: top 5 spielberg directed movies - 10/8/2012 9:52:28 PM   
homersimpson_esq

To be honest, elab, I'm a little saddened that I'm the first person you think of to do something like that, actually.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 47
RE: top 5 spielberg directed movies - 10/8/2012 9:55:18 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

To be honest, elab, I'm a little saddened that I'm the first person you think of to do

That's just insulting to elab.

Post #: 48
RE: top 5 spielberg directed movies - 10/8/2012 10:05:35 PM   
elab49

Normally I would guess PA - but as only you and Hobbs seem to be around I know which of the two of you I'd bet on. 

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 49
RE: top 5 spielberg directed movies - 10/8/2012 10:09:33 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

Normally I would guess PA - but as only you and Hobbs seem to be around I know which of the two of you I'd bet on. 

She always struck me as a bit of a prankster.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 50
RE: top 5 spielberg directed movies - 10/8/2012 10:11:17 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

quote:

She always struck me as a bit of a prat.

Shocking.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 51
RE: top 5 spielberg directed movies - 10/8/2012 10:12:04 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

quote:

She always struck me as a bit of a prat.

Shocking.

CHIST'S SAKE, HOMER!

Post #: 52
RE: top 5 spielberg directed movies - 10/8/2012 10:14:48 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

I'd call three Spielberg films classics - Jaws, Duel, Raiders.

After that there's a handful I really like. - Tintin, Something Evil, Last Crusade, Close Encounters

But he's made at least ten I dislike for various reasons. - Jurassic Park, Lost World, Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, Color Purple, Amistad, Minority Report, The Terminal, War of the Worlds, Crystal Skull, War Horse. Some of those I just don't think are very good, some I think are abominations.

I'm with you with two exceptions. I really like Jurassic Park and I have never seen Something Evil. And I don't think I hate any of his films but (again, apart from JP) those you listed that you dislike are ones I will never watch again.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 53
RE: top 5 spielberg directed movies - 10/8/2012 10:17:50 PM   
MovieAddict247

1. Jaws
2. Jurassic Park.
3. Raiders/Last Crusade
4. Duel
5. HOOK

I need to watch A.I and Catch Me if You Can again though as I can't really remember them.

It's much easier doing a least favourite....
1. E.T/War Horse (It's a tie....)
2. Saving Private Ryan.
3. Close Encounters

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

Post #: 54
RE: top 5 spielberg directed movies - 10/8/2012 10:51:19 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: MovieAddict247

1. Jaws
2. Jurassic Park.
3. Raiders/Last Crusade
4. Duel
5. HOOK

That's six films, Cheaty McCheaterson.

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 55
RE: top 5 spielberg directed movies - 10/8/2012 11:21:13 PM   
Rebel scum

1-Jurassic Park
2-Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
3-Raiders of the Lost Ark
4-Jaws
5-Schindler's List or Tintin, can't decide which.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 56
RE: top 5 spielberg directed movies - 10/8/2012 11:43:18 PM   
Lazarus munkey

1. Jaws
2. Schindler's List
3. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
4. Raiders of the Lost Ark
5. Jurassic Park

"Because I got the answers"

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
The Amazing Spider-Man 3/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 57
RE: top 5 spielberg directed movies - 11/8/2012 12:24:51 AM   
MonsterCat

quote:

In what category would Ryan and Schindler fall into?

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 11/8/2012 12:32:25 AM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 58
RE: top 5 spielberg directed movies - 11/8/2012 3:15:47 AM   
rawlinson

Schindler I just don't think is very good. I've had this argument about a million times on here, but there's too much stuff in there where I can see the manipulation of the audience's feelings (the red coat, the gas chamber/showers, the breakdown, the final scene with the survivors) and I don't think it's material where you need that kind of manipulation. It does have a lot of plus points, Fiennes being a biggie, but I think if you're watching a film like that and rolling your eyes at stuff, the film isn't working. As for Ryan, I think it's a terrible film, and yet I think it would have been a lot better if he'd embraced the very Boys Own-ish men on a mission parts of the story and just made an all-out actioner. I think that again he tried to make us feel how deep it is, and he fails, for me at least.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 59
RE: top 5 spielberg directed movies - 11/8/2012 8:13:31 AM   
MovieAddict247

quote:

Schindler I just don't think is very good. I've had this argument about a million times on here, but there's too much stuff in there where I can see the manipulation of the audience's feelings (the red coat, the gas chamber/showers, the breakdown, the final scene with the survivors) and I don't think it's material where you need that kind of manipulation. It does have a lot of plus points, Fiennes being a biggie, but I think if you're watching a film like that and rolling your eyes at stuff, the film isn't working. As for Ryan, I think it's a terrible film, and yet I think it would have been a lot better if he'd embraced the very Boys Own-ish men on a mission parts of the story and just made an all-out actioner. I think that again he tried to make us feel how deep it is, and he fails, for me at least.

Completely agree with this.

Schindler's List - I rate Ralph Fiennes performance as one of the best of the 1990s - in fact, performance wise, it's all strong, but agreed with the manipulation. I find it a bit insulting in a way - the audience isn't an idiot, they don't need to be manipulated into feeling strongly about the Holocaust.

My main issue with Saving Private Ryan is that the whole squad/platoon had no character development. I had no idea who they were, so any time they were in danger was a bit of a redshirt type moment.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: top 5 spielberg directed movies Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI