Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The People vs George Lucas (2010)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The People vs George Lucas (2010) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The People vs George Lucas (2010) - 27/6/2012 9:52:12 PM   
Phubbs

This is THE doc film any Star Wars fan would want to watch IF they have ever pondered whether the big George Lucas has been correct in his tinkering. Not just the constant fiddling is questioned though, the much talked about prequels are also questioned along with the way in which the big GL has changed as his fame and fortune massed from back in 1977.

To put it bluntly this doc is brilliant stuff and NOT just a GL bashing exercise for fanboys I must stress. This is a very well made argument against the big GL for his tinkering and decisions that are covered by fans from all other the world. Not only fans I might add but big name stars such as Simon Pegg and director Francis Ford Coppola along with others from the media and effects world add their views, even the last Indy fiasco gets a once over as fans despaired from the mighty fedora wearing hero's humiliation.

From watching this film you do see, with much video evidence, that Lucas has indeed changed, a man who was once proud to fight the establishment has now become the establishment. A massive money making machine with yes men/women at his beck and call and no other input but his own. Its a shame to see but very evident that the story of Star Wars is infact the story of Lucas, Lucas became the dark lord as did 'Anakin', some say that the success of Star Wars destroyed Lucas as a film maker even.

This doc is extremely interesting it must be said, you do discover many gems of information such as a letter from the PR department of LucasFilm stating that the original negatives of the classic trilogy were PERMANTLEY altered when the SE editions were made!! Also ironically we find that Lucas himself testified before Congress in the US against the colourization of black and white films back in 88, stating that it would be even easier in the future for old negatives to be replaced by new versions, it would be a great loss and that history must not be rewritten!.

The main controversy of the doc is the SE editions and why Lucas continues to play with his films when there's nothing wrong with them in the first place. The arguments are strong and could go on forever but it has to be said that at the end of the day the films belong to history now, the reason why Lucas wants to change the films is obviously because he is a different man from way back in 77. Of course he wants to change it, any director could change their old films when they look back on them because people change and look at things differently in time and with age, but they don't do it because its a moment in history.

Gary Kutz (SW producer) points out that the films work because of their limitations, the lack of money, the use of basic effects and lack of high tech, these are all the things that made them great because they are real, not fully cgi. People had to be inventive and use their skills, the same could be said for so many classic films across all genres but you wouldn't dare go back and crowbar in cgi bits or replace whole sections or peoples performances. I think GL forgets about all the folk that made his dreams a reality when he hacks away, he created the film but he didn't create all the effects, models, sets, costumes, weapons etc...there were many many people who contributed allot of skill and hard work to create Lucas's vision.

This is the main crux of the doc really and its very very well presented with lots of footage from the films along with homages...not bashing, more frustration really. The originals have been released on DVD of course back in 06 but they were very poor copies plopped onto DVD with no love or attention. We still await good cleaned up versions like Ridley Scott did with 'Blade Runner' or Spielberg with 'E.T.' or even Gilliam with 'Brazil'. Of course there are plenty of Star Wars fans that voice their opinions which some won't agree with and its an argument that both sides will never feel satisfied with but at the end of day everyone respects and loves Lucas for his visual opus. They just wish he would leave it be.

< Message edited by Phubbs -- 27/6/2012 10:01:25 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: The People vs George Lucas (2010) - 29/6/2012 12:34:08 AM   
Spaldron

I've been looking to catch this for a while since RLM did a feature on it last year. Hopefully find it online somewhere.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The People vs George Lucas (2010) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI