Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

10 Things You Need To Know About Dredd

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> 10 Things You Need To Know About Dredd Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
10 Things You Need To Know About Dredd - 27/6/2012 1:49:34 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Not bad... - 27/6/2012 1:49:34 PM   
warren7355

But 'murderous'? Hardly! Yes, he may technically have a killcount in the hundreds of millions, but every single one was also technically self defence. ;-)

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Executions or self defense,not murders. - 27/6/2012 3:15:03 PM   
danbo1138

Just a badass doing his job.Thats like saying somebody in the army is a murderer.

Post #: 3
Executions or self defense,not murders. - 27/6/2012 4:16:25 PM   
danbo1138

Just a badass doing his job.Thats like saying somebody in the army is a murderer.

Post #: 4
Executioner/ enforcer. - 27/6/2012 7:35:13 PM   
TheDarkKnightEdin91

Dredd is not a murderer. he enforces the law in a brutal post apocalyptic city/ cesspit. That's like saying John Mclane, Axel Foley and Bad Boys are murderers lol. I love the comics, and was 50/50 when i saw the trailer. Glad his helmet will be staying firmly on though!!!

Post #: 5
"Judge Not, Lest Ye Be Judged." - 28/6/2012 6:27:24 AM   
BenTramer

Crime in Dredd's world has got so bad that there's no time to wait for a trial. He is judge, jury and executioner all in one. So he carries out death sentences on the spot. It would depend on whether you consider the death penalty to be murder as to whether Dredd is "murderous" or whether you believe him to be enforcing the law of his time the way cops and judges do now.

Post #: 6
murderer? - 28/6/2012 11:39:20 AM   
Count Karnstein

dredd is clearly a fascist and a murderer...
that's actually the interesting thing about the character, that there is no compromise, and it prompts its audience to question the morality of its central "hero".
many films Die Hard, Beverly Hills Cop et al fail to do that, offering simple narratives that feed our 'he was evil, hence he deserved it' need.
just my view, but people in the army are state sanctioned killers (whether u choose the word 'murderer' or not, there's often little difference). its all just language to make ourselves feel better and not ask difficult questions.

Post #: 7
Dredd did show his face at least once - 28/6/2012 12:50:42 PM   
lisamoorish

You see it when he [SPOILERS] has taken the Long Walk into the Cursed Earth at the end of 'Tale of the Dead Man'. Though of course [SPOILERS] he comes back.

Post #: 8
RE: Dredd did show his face at least once - 28/6/2012 2:12:09 PM   
elab49

Great, now my posts are disappearing too 

So - capital punishment = murder depending on the side of the line, particularly when no trials are involved. It's a call on a way of life - one Dredd questioned himself when he took the Long Walk and which you can see in contrast to the other parts of the world still functioning. Mega City 1's justice is not universal and it's often been examined in the stories when they come into contact with other cities. I always liked Dredd's interactions with Armitage.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to lisamoorish)
Post #: 9
RE: Dredd did show his face at least once - 1/7/2012 9:27:59 AM   
huoyuehmok

he may technically have a killcount in the hundreds of millions

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> 10 Things You Need To Know About Dredd Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI