Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: tv shows that jumped the shark

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: tv shows that jumped the shark Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: tv shows that jumped the shark - 28/6/2012 9:42:48 AM   
st3veebee

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zaphod121

Arrested Development
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jm6B31HKBw

Ha! I never got that before...

Going back to the Wire: S2 actually made me stop watching it for months..just got fed up. I understand the a lot of the characters are meant to be unlikeable..but I found none of them particularl interesting. The idea of dock unions..bored the trousers off me. The main character was incredibly dull as well..and I never took to the Greek. That group looked like they had wandered in from a salad commercial.

I'm with you on S4 though: possibly my favourite season of any show ever.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 31
RE: tv shows that jumped the shark - 28/6/2012 1:16:17 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob
Indeed, jump the shark is to introduce a storyline so batshit crazy it is irrelevant to what has come before and feels forced

Which is exactly why I think Hamsterdam and the contrived serial killer in The Wire IS shark jumping, because they are in The Wire, which is far too realistic a drama to house ridiculous ideas like that.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 32
RE: tv shows that jumped the shark - 28/6/2012 1:28:50 PM   
blackduck

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

quote:

Indeed, jump the shark is to introduce a storyline so batshit crazy it is irrelevant to what has come before and feels forced

Which is exactly why I think Hamsterdam and the contrived serial killer in The Wire IS shark jumping, because they are in The Wire, which is far too realistic a drama to house ridiculous ideas like that.

Wasn't there something in the DVD commentry that Hamsterdam was a real proposal put forward by the actual Mayor of Baltamore, it killed his career, he even get to play a politician in the show?

Season 5 serial killer plot however was a step too far.

I am but an egg.

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 33
RE: tv shows that jumped the shark - 28/6/2012 1:33:37 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: blackduck
quote:

quote:

Wasn't there something in the DVD commentry that Hamsterdam was a real proposal put forward by the actual Mayor of Baltamore, it killed his career, he even get to play a politician in the show?
Season 5 serial killer plot however was a step too far.

Correct. But it was an idea that was laughed out of office and was completely unworkable, not to mention highly illegal under...whatever the higher power is in the States above the po-po. Hence why it actually happening in The Wire just completely removes the show out of the reality that was painstakingly built up.

But, like I said, great things happen within both Hamsterdam and serial killer storylines, but the surrounding story just seems so out of place.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to blackduck)
Post #: 34
RE: tv shows that jumped the shark - 28/6/2012 3:23:18 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

quote:

Sorry I wasn't saying The Wire haddn't just that people we mentioning shows just going a bit shit, which isn't jumping the shark, that would be doing a Battlestar.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 28/6/2012 3:24:09 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 35
RE: tv shows that jumped the shark - 28/6/2012 4:07:29 PM   
Tafferel

As much as I adore The Simpsons I do think it jumped the shark with the episode with the jockeys that were troll like creatures that lived beneath a tree! Even typing that sentence is bonkers!!

Post #: 36
RE: tv shows that jumped the shark - 28/6/2012 6:09:23 PM   
vader100

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sorry I wasn't saying The Wire haddn't just that people we mentioning shows just going a bit shit, which isn't jumping the shark, that would be doing a Battlestar.

No,No you didn't go there. I always find it amazing how a few years after great TV and films there are people who who pop up and try to destroy all that was great about them.

The Wire, Battlestar Galactica, The West Wing ( before anybody gets any ideas) did not jump the shark, did not go a bit shit.They were written to their logical conclusions all of which were even if not up to the strongest part of the show miles better than anything else around.

I would say Frasier went off the boil after Niles and Daphne got together. I think it's one of the greatest comedies ever but......did it jump the shark? Not really.

Lost definitely did, as I feared Fringe may have with it's weird Nimoy animated episode, not seen season 4 yet.

You can't take the sky from me

Post #: 37
RE: tv shows that jumped the shark - 28/6/2012 8:43:07 PM   
moviebuff73

i apologise. i must remember the search next time.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 38
RE: tv shows that jumped the shark - 28/6/2012 11:08:08 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tafferel

As much as I adore The Simpsons I do think it jumped the shark with the episode with the jockeys that were troll like creatures that lived beneath a tree! Even typing that sentence is bonkers!!

I think they jumped the shark before that. With the season 9 episode 'The Principal and the Pauper' in which it transpired that Skinner was not the real Skinner. He was an imposter and the real one (voiced by Martin Sheen) appeared and wanted his life back. He got run out of town and the fact that Skinner is really Armin Tamzarian is barely mentioned again. If it is, it is just as a nod and a wink to the audience. The same thing happened when Snowball II died and the Simpsons got a cat that looked the same and named it......Snowball II.

God, I bloody hate The Principal and the Pauper, even Harry Shearer who is Skinner hates it.

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 28/6/2012 11:11:59 PM >

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Tafferel)
Post #: 39
RE: tv shows that jumped the shark - 29/6/2012 12:15:39 AM   
Lazarus munkey

I suspect that I may be in the minority here but the following were never good enough to jump the shark. I tried at least 3 episodes of each (the first 3) and was thoroughly bored with each.

I'm wearing a flak jacket.

The Wire
The Sopranos
Battlestar Galactica
Firefly (I enjoyed Serenity, though)

"Because I got the answers"

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
The Amazing Spider-Man 3/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 40
RE: tv shows that jumped the shark - 29/6/2012 7:24:41 AM   
vader100

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lazarus munkey

I suspect that I may be in the minority here but the following were never good enough to jump the shark. I tried at least 3 episodes of each (the first 3) and was thoroughly bored with each.

The Wire
The Sopranos
Battlestar Galactica

You, my friend, are insane. You have just listed 4 of the greatest TV series from the last 15 years.

(in reply to Lazarus munkey)
Post #: 41
RE: tv shows that jumped the shark - 29/6/2012 7:46:21 AM   
Lazarus munkey

quote:

ORIGINAL: vader100

quote:

The Wire
The Sopranos
Battlestar Galactica

You, my friend, are insane. You have just listed 4 of the greatest TV series from the last 15 years.

Which is why I hired them from Lovefilm. They just didn't float my boat.

"Because I got the answers"

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
The Amazing Spider-Man 3/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

(in reply to vader100)
Post #: 42
RE: tv shows that jumped the shark - 29/6/2012 2:41:24 PM   
NCC1701A

quote:

The Wire
The Sopranos
Battlestar Galactica

Agree with Battlestar Galactica I could not get in to it. Firefly I do love. Have not seen the sopranos and have season 1 of the Wire just not watched it yet.

I will say Chuck a great first season and the 2nd Season was not bad but  after that  it just lost it big time.

< Message edited by NCC1701A -- 29/6/2012 2:43:47 PM >

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to Lazarus munkey)
Post #: 43
RE: tv shows that jumped the shark - 29/6/2012 3:02:32 PM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

No,No you didn't go there. I always find it amazing how a few years after great TV and films there are people who who pop up and try to destroy all that was great about them.

The Wire, Battlestar Galactica, The West Wing ( before anybody gets any ideas) did not jump the shark, did not go a bit shit.They were written to their logical conclusions all of which were even if not up to the strongest part of the show miles better than anything else around.

I would say Frasier went off the boil after Niles and Daphne got together. I think it's one of the greatest comedies ever but......did it jump the shark? Not really.

Lost definitely did, as I feared Fringe may have with it's weird Nimoy animated episode, not seen season 4 yet.

It wasn't them getting together that spoilt it for me but the introduction of Daphne's god-awful family - who the fuck thought it was a good idea to give her hateful mother and annoying brother (Anthony La Paglia in the shittest cockney accent since Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins - in fact even shitter as he was supposed to be from Manchester) more screen time?They literally drained the charm and likeability out of every scene they were in to the point where I stopped watching it regularly for a few years during the original run. Luckily they pulled it back for the final series which barely featured them and was largely excellent, though it nearly came unstuck once again in the penultimate episode when Robbie Coltrane and Richard E.Grant inexplicably turned up as two atrociously cast members of the Moon clan. But I'd agree, it never came close to full-on shark-jumping as Grammar, Hyde-Pierce, Mahoney and (most of) the writing remained flawless.

< Message edited by horribleives -- 29/6/2012 3:04:31 PM >

(in reply to vader100)
Post #: 44
RE: tv shows that jumped the shark - 1/7/2012 9:25:04 AM   
vader100

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

It wasn't them getting together that spoilt it for me but the introduction of Daphne's god-awful family - who the fuck thought it was a good idea to give her hateful mother and annoying brother (Anthony La Paglia in the shittest cockney accent since Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins - in fact even shitter as he was supposed to be from Manchester) more screen time?They literally drained the charm and likeability out of every scene they were in to the point where I stopped watching it regularly for a few years during the original run. Luckily they pulled it back for the final series which barely featured them and was largely excellent, though it nearly came unstuck once again in the penultimate episode when Robbie Coltrane and Richard E.Grant inexplicably turned up as two atrociously cast members of the Moon clan. But I'd agree, it never came close to full-on shark-jumping as Grammar, Hyde-Pierce, Mahoney and (most of) the writing remained flawless.

Excellent point. Yes I think you have nailed it there. Her mother always was hateful, remember every phone call was full of woe is me etc but yes Simon and the rest of the Moon clan were awful.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 45
RE: tv shows that jumped the shark - 1/7/2012 11:24:19 AM   
Rgirvan44

This isn't "shows you don't like" it is shows which you can pinpoint the moment it goes off the boil.

For me Twin Peaks. The mystery is solved, and the FIRST SCENE of the very next episode is so utterly bad you are amazed at how quickly it all falls apart. And yes, the finale is good - but not good enough to save the show.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to vader100)
Post #: 46
RE: tv shows that jumped the shark - 1/7/2012 11:31:31 AM   
spark1

how about these shows?-

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20598265_20402674,00.html

did they go on too long?

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 47
RE: tv shows that jumped the shark - 5/7/2012 5:16:52 PM   
st3veebee

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Excellent point. Yes I think you have nailed it there. Her mother always was hateful, remember every phone call was full of woe is me etc but yes Simon and the rest of the Moon clan were awful.

I bloody hated the Mum. The entire tone/stle of the show waned whenever she or another Moon family member appeared. I never really liked Daphney, she's fine, but b God the show got awful when they showed up.

It's always around the time the couple who have been will they?/Won't they-ing for series finnaly get together that shows usualy lose their edge.

Frasier
Friends (Chandler Monica)

This is why Seinfeld is so good.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to vader100)
Post #: 48
RE: tv shows that jumped the shark - 6/7/2012 1:27:41 AM   
Spaldron

Only Fools and Horses.

Series after series of classic comedy culminating with the superb three part Christmas finale featuring amongst others, the infamous Batman and Robin gag and finally seeing Del become a millionaire, timeless.

Then they completely jumped the shark by getting back together and filming more Christmas episodes which were shite and completely unnecessary, even continuing to make episodes after Uncle Albert died.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 49
RE: tv shows that jumped the shark - 6/7/2012 1:56:52 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

Only Fools and Horses.

Series after series of classic comedy culminating with the superb three part Christmas finale featuring amongst others, the infamous Batman and Robin gag and finally seeing Del become a millionaire, timeless.

Then they completely jumped the shark by getting back together and filming more Christmas episodes which were shite and completely unnecessary, even continuing to make episodes after Uncle Albert died.

THIS. Not to mention the crappy spin-off and utterly dire and pointless prequel series.

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 50
RE: tv shows that jumped the shark - 7/7/2012 2:32:33 PM   
vader100

quote:

Only Fools and Horses.

Yes, very good example.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 51
RE: tv shows that jumped the shark - 7/7/2012 3:12:56 PM   
Cool Breeze

Star Trek TOS season 3: The season with Spocks brain being stolen by bimbos in go go boots, the enterprise being hijacked by space hippies, and Kirk screeching like a horse while a dwarf is saddled on is back.Amongst other disasters it killed the show.

Star Trek TNG: Somewhere round season 5 is when it started going downhill where technobabble replaced good writing and when kid friendly storylines became more common and when Brannon ( I can't write anything besides time travel) Braga was hired as a staff writer.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to vader100)
Post #: 52
RE: tv shows that jumped the shark - 7/7/2012 4:14:36 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

Star Trek TOS season 3: The season with Spocks brain being stolen by bimbos in go go boots, the enterprise being hijacked by space hippies, and Kirk screeching like a horse while a dwarf is saddled on is back.Amongst other disasters it killed the show.

The show was dead before it even began season 3 - the quality reflects that rather than other way around.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 53
RE: tv shows that jumped the shark - 7/7/2012 4:32:14 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

The show was dead before it even began season 3 - the quality reflects that rather than other way around.

I strongly disagree.Season 2 of TOS is arguably the best of any Trek series.It gave us classics like The Doomsday Machine, Amok Time, Mirror Mirror, The Deadly Years, Bread And Circuses, The Ultimate Computer, and many more.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 54
RE: tv shows that jumped the shark - 7/7/2012 5:35:39 PM   
Spaldron

Star Trek TNG actually reversed jumped the shark, S01 and 2 were the weakest of the lot until S03 happened.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

Post #: 55
RE: tv shows that jumped the shark - 7/7/2012 6:00:45 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

I strongly disagree.Season 2 of TOS is arguably the best of any Trek series.It gave us classics like The Doomsday Machine, Amok Time, Mirror Mirror, The Deadly Years, Bread And Circuses, The Ultimate Computer, and many more.

You misunderstand me - Trek season 2 was suppose to be the last. It was going to be cancelled. But the letter writing campagin saved it. However the show had its budget cut to about half of what it was before, and it was thrown into a different timeslot.

Thus the quality went downhill, giving the studio the excuse it needed to can it.

Post #: 56
RE: tv shows that jumped the shark - 7/7/2012 6:47:01 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

Star Trek TNG actually reversed jumped the shark, S01 and 2 were the weakest of the lot until S03 happened.

Well it certainly improved a lot from those earlier seasons, but around season 5 it started going downhill in my opinion.The seventh season in particular was utter garbage.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 57
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: tv shows that jumped the shark Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI