Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Maybe 15 years ago, but not now...

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Maybe 15 years ago, but not now... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Maybe 15 years ago, but not now... - 29/6/2012 4:50:02 PM   
sinaplenty

I do get the comments on his physical appearance - a lot is made of Reacher's appearance in the books and Cruise matches precisely none of them - but even aside from that I don't think you can sell this. The last time Cruise was any good was seven years ago in War of the Worlds (no, leaping off stuff in the MIs doesn't count), and his last film absolutely stunk. I think it's being charitable to him to say that he's coming to the end of his life as a credible gritty action figure, and casting a 50 year old guy in what you'd imagine is aiming to be a franchise (even one based on an army vet) seems short-sighted in the extreme. Of course that's without worrying that he's got a bit of the Mel Gibson factor of "I can't suspend my disbelief here because I know that in real life you are a genuine gold plated mental"...

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 31
CRUISE AS REACHER IS A REACH? - 29/6/2012 6:44:40 PM   
EDZEL93

Shows how out of the loop I am... I didn't even know there was a 'Reacher' film in the pipeline, let alone that Tom Cruise had got the role!

My first thought, I have to admit, is that Tom Cruise would not have been my first choice to play Jack Reacher. Granted, it's a while since I read a Reacher book, but I seem to remember him as being rather tall and fair-haired - not *ahem* under six foot and dark-haired.

However.... I'm well aware that trying to live up to the millions of readers who will have their own Jack Reacher in their head, would be a tall order (sorry, Tom) no matter who was picked for the role. And I have enjoyed most of Tom Cruise's films so I'm going to try not be heightist (I see I'm not the first and I do feel rather ashamed) and will give it a go when it comes out.

I've long felt that the books would make marvellous film material, so yes, I'm pleased that its happened, and I'm sure Mr C will do a good job. Reacher has a wry humour that I think he will portray very well.

Now, who is going to play Jo Nesbo's tall, blond, alcoholic Norwegian detective? If no plans are afoot to film or televise the Harry Hole (or 'Hool-ah' as I believe his last name is actually pronounced) books, then someone should get on to it immediately. I've just finished reading the entire series and I can't quite understand why this hasn't happened yet. If only Rutger Hauer were forty-something again.... he'd be perfect. Suggestions, anyone??

< Message edited by EDZEL93 -- 29/6/2012 6:47:39 PM >

Post #: 32
haha - 30/6/2012 4:27:43 AM   
rosiecotton

Posted by clarkkent >> So Jack Reacher looks like... Tom Cruise. Great.

I just did a quickie google of "Jack Reacher" thinking in my head it's another comic book type character and I would find a cartoon character image of Jack .... instead I found a bunch of pics of Cruise! Pfft!

Post #: 33
Perspective - 1/7/2012 9:15:04 PM   
kevmccann

Wow, look at the amount of perspective they have had to use to make Tom Cruise look taller than the girl supposedly standing next to him!!!

Post #: 34
Where is the BANE DEBATE??? - 2/7/2012 1:10:23 PM   
Fozola

The problem is that if Reacher fans vote with their feet and Cruise fans do the same, the studio makes money...that's just the sad truth of the matter...eg.Constantine...The Mask...I doubt anyone will bat (heh) an eyelid at Bane in Batman Begins...Bane, 6' 8"...Tom Hardy 5' 9...where's the debate on that one then???

Post #: 35
It's Monday... - 2/7/2012 4:55:01 PM   
Fozola

I mean Dark Knight Rises...for fuck's sake!!!

Post #: 36
Cruise -Reacher? - 11/9/2012 6:03:10 PM   
Veyron50

I have read the books and think this is the worse decision i have ever heard for a casting for a film , why do people think Tom Cruise is such a big box office draw?, this film will flop with him as Reacher because people like me who love the books wont go and see a dwarf as Reacher.
When i first heard of Cruise being cast as him i thought sense would come to pass , wow Mr Childs the worse mistake of your life , these books are amazing and from day one of reading them i though these books would make amazing films , i though in my head Hugh Jackman would make a great Reacher , the argument that Lee makes for Cruise as Reacher unfortunately is a bad one.
Sorry Lee but you had a chance to make a fortune at the box office , you wont now.

Post #: 37
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Maybe 15 years ago, but not now... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI