Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: best bruce wayne

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: best bruce wayne Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: best bruce wayne - 30/6/2012 6:51:28 PM   
fuzzy

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

For me Keaton's Wayne had charm, charisma, eccentricity, plus you could really sense a darkness lurking behind those great eyes, a proper mystique. And he had something else that I thought was invaluable; a sense of humour. Something that, for me anyway, Bale's BW seriously lacked. Although Bale's Batman is a serious badass, of course, I just thought his Wayne was a little bland. And a bit too tortured.

Still great films though, but I am biased towards the Burtons because I grew up on them. Plus I thought the casting was ingenious because it was so against type for Keaton, that one wouldn't suspect someone of his stature could transform into a flying nocturnal kick-ass vigilante. That made him so much more compelling for me to watch as a boy.

Agree with all of this. I still think though we haven't seen the perfect Wayne or Batman on screen - if we're going for a comparison to the comics that is. Maybe we never will - this is the movies after all. However, I think Oldman's Gordon is the closest yet.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 31
RE: best bruce wayne - 30/6/2012 10:05:24 PM   
Ref

As much as I enjoyed Burton's Batman films and while Keaton was great - Bale took it up a notch. Like others have mentioned the dual personality of public and private Wayne that Bale does so effortlessly.

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week

Icon created by the talented JaD

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 32
RE: best bruce wayne - 2/7/2012 10:37:02 AM   
st3veebee

quote:

ORIGINAL: fuzzy

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

For me Keaton's Wayne had charm, charisma, eccentricity, plus you could really sense a darkness lurking behind those great eyes, a proper mystique. And he had something else that I thought was invaluable; a sense of humour. Something that, for me anyway, Bale's BW seriously lacked. Although Bale's Batman is a serious badass, of course, I just thought his Wayne was a little bland. And a bit too tortured.

Still great films though, but I am biased towards the Burtons because I grew up on them. Plus I thought the casting was ingenious because it was so against type for Keaton, that one wouldn't suspect someone of his stature could transform into a flying nocturnal kick-ass vigilante. That made him so much more compelling for me to watch as a boy.

Agree with all of this. I still think though we haven't seen the perfect Wayne or Batman on screen - if we're going for a comparison to the comics that is. Maybe we never will - this is the movies after all. However, I think Oldman's Gordon is the closest yet.

Seconded. Bale is fantastic, but struggles with humour. Keaton's Batman was a more interesting character in my opinion. Still: Bale would destroy him in a fight!

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 33
RE: best bruce wayne - 18/7/2012 12:08:11 AM   
BadJoke

Bale over Keaton
Keaton over Kilmer
Everyone needs to beat up Clooney

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 34
RE: best bruce wayne - 18/7/2012 11:52:44 AM   
st3veebee

Here's another way of looking at the Batman casting.

I reckon that Keaton could have played Bale's role in the reboot (presuming he was off the right age) and transitioned into a darker batman with ease, while I find it near impossible to imagine Bale in the Burton films.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to BadJoke)
Post #: 35
RE: best bruce wayne - 18/7/2012 11:04:53 PM   
Timbzy

quote:

ORIGINAL: gunstar

Kevin Conroy.

(in reply to gunstar)
Post #: 36
RE: best bruce wayne - 19/7/2012 12:00:57 AM   
MonsterCat

Adam West.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 37
RE: best bruce wayne - 19/7/2012 12:24:11 AM   
Larry of Arabia

Bale is my favourite anyway, but apparently he's been getting particular praise for Rises after Ledger stole the spotlight in TDK, so I'm wondering if he'll convert anyone after it's released.

He's already converted me.

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 38
RE: best bruce wayne - 19/7/2012 12:27:10 PM   
KnightofZyryab

I have a very soft spot for Keaton's characterisation - I still think his performance as Bruce Wayne is interesting in that unlike Bale's more calculated Batman his portrayal is of two identities collapsing into each other - Keaton's Batman/Wayne struggles to separate the dualities.

But overall I think Bale's Batman/Wayne is the best - there can't be much question that he is by far the more intimidating Batman (right physique and hulking movements), and he brings out the tortured side of Wayne perfectly: for reference see TDK when he is talking to Alfred after the Joker kills Rachel, struggling to come to terms with the chaos that his alter ego has indirectly created. He moves across the three identities seamlessly in my opinion.

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 39
RE: best bruce wayne - 19/7/2012 12:49:49 PM   
Dannybohy

I say Keaton, also the best Batman, in the best Batman films too. that is all :)

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to Swoz_MK)
Post #: 40
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: best bruce wayne Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI