Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Holidays 2012

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: Holidays 2012 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Holidays 2012 - 16/8/2012 4:40:48 AM   
hozay

No overseas trip this year unfortunately but we'll head up to Cape York, Far North Queenland next month and have a look at the Daintree and Cape Melville National Parks and possibly further north if we have time.
I've been to the Daintree before but only on a day trip from Port Douglas. It's a beautiful part of the world up there, can't wait.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 31
RE: Holidays 2012 - 22/8/2012 10:27:09 PM   
pedros

So far this year I have been to Chicago (amazing) and Amsterdam, and next week I am going to Croatia. But today I also booked a weekend in Venice for next February as it's my girlfriend's 30th, so am wondering if anyone has any good tips for hotels?

I'd rather see Dave Lee Travis play Macbeth.

Hey, wha' happened???

(in reply to hozay)
Post #: 32
RE: Holidays 2012 - 23/8/2012 10:06:05 PM   
the anomaly

I'm going to Winchester tomorrow for the weekend ...

I'm saving for a house ... so ... no big holidays for me ...

(in reply to pedros)
Post #: 33
RE: Holidays 2012 - 23/8/2012 10:55:38 PM   
JessFranco

Finally booked something - Dubrovnik in October. Should also have a day or two free in Moscow in a few weeks, which will be nice.

Even the French know better than to fuck with me

http://closer-to-perfection.tumblr.com/

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 34
RE: Holidays 2012 - 24/8/2012 11:34:58 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: pedros

So far this year I have been to Chicago (amazing) and Amsterdam, and next week I am going to Croatia. But today I also booked a weekend in Venice for next February as it's my girlfriend's 30th, so am wondering if anyone has any good tips for hotels?

Cool trips. We stayed here, Hotel Olimpia. Good things about it for me were:
- its just a couple of bridges from the square where all the buses and coaches come from the airport, so easy to get too, but already in the canal bits if you get me
- nice restaurant just next door (imo Italian food is great, but in Venice is not so awesome)
- easy to get to water taxis or just meander away

I think most hotels in Venice tend to be a bit on the chintzy side, but this didn't offend too much.

I'm off to Vietnam in 2 weeks, really looking forward to that!

(in reply to pedros)
Post #: 35
RE: Holidays 2012 - 6/9/2012 9:30:10 AM   
talpacino

Well Washington got knocked on the head, we're heading to California, again. Heading out next Friday for 10 days. We're staying with friends over there so we don't really have expenses other than flights so I can't complain really. I'm just looking forward to getting out of this hole for 10 days.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 36
RE: Holidays 2012 - 6/9/2012 10:56:22 AM   
bobatim

I went camping in the Cotswolds over the last bank holiday. Unfortunately the new house and going down to part time combo means that's as exotic as my travels get this year. Although the missus managed to go to South Africa for a fortnight

< Message edited by bobatim -- 6/9/2012 10:57:43 AM >

Is he died?

www.penultimateuniverse.blogspot.com

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 37
RE: Holidays 2012 - 6/9/2012 12:39:25 PM   
gingerdaniel

I'm back from my eurotrip, went to france, germany, switzerland, lichenstein, austria and italy. Spent waaay too much money! Venice was hot!

Do you run? Check THIS out

(in reply to bobatim)
Post #: 38
RE: Holidays 2012 - 18/9/2012 4:42:00 PM   
Professor Moriarty

5 days into my holiday in Vietnam. Loving the hell out of it. People are as friendly as you could meet. Interesting cities and beautiful scenery. Some great food too.

Okay getting here is expensive, but you can get a good room for a tenner, change from a fiver for dinner and a beer for a quid.

Done Hanoi, Halong Bay and Hue so far. Off to Hoi An tomorrow. Then a beach break in Nha Trang, before popping down to HCMC / Saigon.

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 18/9/2012 4:43:32 PM >

(in reply to gingerdaniel)
Post #: 39
RE: Holidays 2012 - 22/9/2012 8:36:36 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Just booked a Christmas market trip to Vienna in December

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 40
RE: Holidays 2012 - 22/9/2012 8:40:32 PM   
Shifty Bench

Well, it wouldn't be a Christmas trip if it was in April

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 41
RE: Holidays 2012 - 22/9/2012 8:42:17 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

Well, it wouldn't be a Christmas trip if it was in April

. The Christmas market might start in November!

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 42
RE: Holidays 2012 - 22/9/2012 8:46:16 PM   
Shifty Bench

Ah, this is very true

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 43
RE: Holidays 2012 - 23/9/2012 12:20:37 AM   
vad3r

Anyone coming to London is welcome to stay at my place. You don't have to pay for a hotel or worry about food. Just PM me a link to your Facebook and I'll reply back with my address if the offer is still available.

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 44
RE: Holidays 2012 - 23/9/2012 4:10:24 AM   
Quint

Just booked tickets for my girlfriend and myself to come back to England this Christmas - not been home in 3 years and I cannot wait! Also have old uni mates coming to visit me next month and then my dad coming in November - gonna be a great few months!

My Art: http://adamwayneart.com/

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 45
Holidays 2013 - 2/10/2012 9:49:53 AM   
sharkboy

Exactly 11 months from today, I shall be waking up to my first full day back in Cancun, a trip which this time shall include the swim with whale sharks that I had to cancel last time.  Words cannot begin to describe how much I'm looking forward to this

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Quint)
Post #: 46
RE: Holidays 2013 - 2/10/2012 10:28:14 AM   
Harry Tuttle

We're hoping to take the kids to Disneyland Paris in the Spring and Lapland next winter. My daughter will be 8 next autumn so I'd like to take her to Lapland while she still believes in Father Christmas. We had hoped to go to there this year initially but had to put it off till next year. My son is pretty small, even for his age, and there's no way he'd fit in the protective winter clothing provided in such a package. Hopefully by next year he'll fit into clothing for 3-4 year olds rather than 2-3.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 47
RE: Holidays 2013 - 2/10/2012 4:47:46 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

Exactly11 months from today, I shall be waking up to my first full day back in Cancun, a trip which this time shall include the swim with whale sharks that I had to cancel last time. Words cannot begin to describe how much I'm looking forward to this

awesome mate, very jealous.

quote:

We're hoping to take the kids to Disneyland Paris in the Spring

Be prepared to be knackered. I remember holding my then 4 year old waiting for the princess parade to pass, about 3 hours long but worth every single minute, you'll love it.
Just watch out for the Spanish/Italian/French queue jumpers.

Nothing planned for next year yet but will be off to Barbados again for Christmas.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 48
RE: Holidays 2013 - 2/10/2012 4:48:53 PM   
Woger

I
quote:

Exactly11 months from today, I shall be waking up to my first full day back in Cancun, a trip which this time shall include the swim with whale sharks that I had to cancel last time. Words cannot begin to describe how much I'm looking forward to this

A great experience, done it once in Australia. In a way I feel bad for the sharks, they turn up looking for a bit of rumpy pumpy only to be stalked by a load of people with snorkels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYl7EKqF1po&feature=channel&list=UL

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 49
RE: Holidays 2013 - 20/1/2013 11:08:25 AM   
UTB

After a night out staggering home a little tipsy Mrs UTB and I have booked a 7 night stay in Cancun for the beginning of December which will be awesome , never been before.

Also going to New York in March for 6 days to do the tourist thing and also see some friends.

Can't wait.

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 50
RE: Holidays 2012 - 21/1/2013 6:59:37 AM   
gingerdaniel

I'm flying out to Switzerland on the 1st feb for a long weekend of snowboarding. Booked it past week as I was dreaming of snow!!

Going on a USA tour later in the year, but nothings booked yet so I cant say where we're going...

Do you run? Check THIS out

(in reply to gingerdaniel)
Post #: 51
RE: Holidays 2012 - 22/1/2013 3:36:32 PM   
Spider

I have two trips booked at the moment. Firstly, Paris (and Disneyland Paris) for my birthday in March, with the better half. Then in April the male members of the family are going to Istanbul. We usually go to Primavera Festival in Barcelona but the dates didn't work this year so this is the next best thing.

I have some other plans for the year. Summer holiday would ideally be spent on a multi-city Tuscany break or in Spain again - really want to go to Granada and Cordoba in Andalucia so may try and get to those. A third option is the South of France - would like to see Avignon and the surrounding area.Also would like to do a multi-city Belgium trip with Brussels as a base as family members did it and said it was a really good, easy trip. Also, I'm turning into a bit of a wuss when it comes to flying so I'm more and more keen on train holidays.

Rudi Manchego's Simple Rustic Wisdom:
If you look at a pebble, you will see your own face

Howard Moon: Fusion Minstrel Vince Noir: Gothic Fairy. The Boosh is Loose and it's coming at you like a shark with knees!

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 52
RE: Holidays 2013 - 22/1/2013 4:32:38 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

Also going to New York in March for 6 days to do the tourist thing and also see some friends.

Can't wait.

We're planning on going back again this year.
We had 5 days there in the summer, the kids and wife loved it but we only did about 75% of what I had planned. I absolutely loved the place (and I'm not really a City person) and despite the fact we were leaving to go to Barbados for 10 days, I didn't want to leave. Incredible place.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 53
RE: Holidays 2013 - 22/1/2013 4:40:48 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

After a night out staggering home a little tipsy Mrs UTB and I have booked a 7 night stay in Cancun for the beginning of December which will be awesome , never been before.

Cancun is one of my favourite places in the world.  We're going back in September - this'll be my 4th visit.

December's a nice time to visit as well as it can be hellishly hot during the summer months (plus there's the old game of hurricane roulette that we play each time!).  A week is quite a short trip considering the distance but if you're there to relax by the pool and do nothing it's ideal.  If you plan to explore, then Chitchen Itza is a whole day but worth it, likewise Xcaret or Xel-Ha (both offer quite similar things, but as an overall experience I'd recommend Xcaret).  If you don't want to travel too far from the resort, then there is plenty to see and do downtown - Coco Bongo is a must!  Buses are the best and cheapest way to get round - a 24 hr service that costs only a few pence each time.  If Mrs UTB is into her shopping, then you might want to take out another credit card before you go - it's a shoppers paradise!

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 54
RE: Holidays 2013 - 22/1/2013 9:44:26 PM   
JV

We are going to Kalkan in Turkey this year. I've never done a package holiday or been to Turkey so I'm half excited and half apprehensive as my view of people who go on package holidays has always been a little, erm, prejudiced. But it was cheap, I know people who've been and loved it, and it sounds lovely.

What we actually wanted was to go to the Alhambra in Granada and the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona but the flight prices alone were almost as much what we have paid for our whole (albeit self catering) holiday, and I've taken a 7k a year pay drop so we are lucky we can afford to go away at all to be honest.

but love is the sky and i am for you
just so long and long enough

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 55
RE: Holidays 2013 - 22/1/2013 10:25:52 PM   
Sway

Due to the fact I'm still recovering from an op and am just about to have another one, I doubt very much I'll get away this year now.

However because of this whole fiasco I've decided that I'm either going to head off on some serious travels next year, or head straight to New Zealand where I've wanted to visit for years but due to my insane fear of flying have always figured I'd never reach.

These health problems have made me say, "Fuck that! I'm going to see the world!"

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to JV)
Post #: 56
RE: Holidays 2013 - 23/1/2013 7:45:51 AM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sway

These health problems have made me say, "Fuck that! I'm going to see the world!"

Don't blame you Sway, you're doing the right thing. After losing both my parents it made me say "fuck it" and I don't hesitate to yes to to everything. It's shame it takes something life-changing to make us sit up and say "bollocks, I'm doing it".
I'm afraid I'm quite the opposite of my parents now.
Rainy days? Every fucking day is a rainy day, I'll do it now thanks

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 57
RE: Holidays 2013 - 23/1/2013 11:58:07 AM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sway

Don't blame you Sway, you're doing the right thing. After losing both my parents it made me say "fuck it" and I don't hesitate to yes to to everything. It's shame it takes something life-changing to make us sit up and say "bollocks, I'm doing it".
I'm afraid I'm quite the opposite of my parents now.
Rainy days? Every fucking day is a rainy day, I'll do it now thanks

You're right, it is sad that it takes something like this to give you the push. But hopefully if all goes well with this op, if I'm given the all clear, and if I manage to visit the places I want to go, I'll be able to look back at this point in my life when everything seems really bleak and be able to credit it as being a defining moment. Turned it into something positive.

Fingers crossed.

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 58
RE: Holidays 2013 - 23/1/2013 12:02:48 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

quote:

Can't wait.

We're planning on going back again this year.
We had 5 days there in the summer, the kids and wife loved it but we only did about 75% of what I had planned. I absolutely loved the place (and I'm not really a City person) and despite the fact we were leaving to go to Barbados for 10 days, I didn't want to leave. Incredible place.

Brilliant, sounds like we chose well!

quote:

Cancun is one of my favourite places in the world. We're going back in September - this'll be my 4th visit.

December's a nice time to visit as well as it can be hellishly hot during the summer months (plus there's the old game of hurricane roulette that we play each time!). A week is quite a short trip considering the distance but if you're there to relax by the pool and do nothing it's ideal. If you plan to explore, then Chitchen Itza is a whole day but worth it, likewise Xcaret or Xel-Ha (both offer quite similar things, but as an overall experience I'd recommend Xcaret). If you don't want to travel too far from the resort, then there is plenty to see and do downtown - Coco Bongo is a must! Buses are the best and cheapest way to get round - a 24 hr service that costs only a few pence each time. If Mrs UTB is into her shopping, then you might want to take out another credit card before you go - it's a shoppers paradise!

We chose December to a) avoid hurrican season/too hot weather but early enough to avoid Christmas there and be back in plenty of time for it.

To be honest we're looking most forward to doing absolutely f-all and have paid a little extra to ensure the room/resort is all-encompassing.

I'm sure she'd tell you its me that would need the extra card...

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 59
RE: Holidays 2013 - 23/1/2013 6:45:23 PM   
Larry of Arabia

I'm going backpacking again this year to South America, where the plan is to leave in May to fly to Buenos Aires, travel across Argentina to the west coast and work my way up through Chile, Bolivia, Peru (Inca Trail, Machu Picchu) and Columbia before making my way back down the Amazon and leaving from Rio to fly to Barcelona, where I'll see the sights before going to Madrid and then home. Excited but also pooping my pants a bit.

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: Holidays 2012 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI