Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Holidays!!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Holidays!!! Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Holidays!!! - 24/6/2012 12:03:26 PM   
gingerdaniel

So there's a holiday thread for last year, but i can't spot anything for this year.

You off anywhere nice?

My passport expired in April, so now i'm just a national playboy...

75 for a new one.... but i suppose 7.50 a year for international travel is acceptable.

My ladyfriend and i are heading to Zurich late august to visit my friend and then we'll take a weeklong road trip around northern Italy and southern France, planning to spend a day in Monaco too.

Anyone got any experience/recommendations in this area? Places to visit/things to do?

< Message edited by gingerdaniel -- 6/3/2013 7:58:03 PM >

Do you run? Check THIS out
Post #: 1
RE: Holidays 2012 - 26/6/2012 12:01:49 PM   
borstal

Skint, Blackpool for two nights. Thats it.

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to gingerdaniel)
Post #: 2
RE: Holidays 2012 - 26/6/2012 12:26:49 PM   
Funkyrae

Sort of half planning to go and see my brother in Tenerife during the October half term. Especially now he's an advanced diver and training for his dive master qualification. He can take me Scuba diving!

That's me that is!

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 3
RE: Holidays 2012 - 26/6/2012 12:47:36 PM   
MOTH

Algarve. Private villa. This Saturday. Woo hoo!

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 4
RE: Holidays 2012 - 26/6/2012 12:53:07 PM   
jonson

Cool Funky. I would love to be able to go scuba diving. I could I suppose except I'm scared.

Going New York for 5 days in 2 weeks then flying down to Barbados for 9 days. I have planned every day in New York pretty much, things I want to see (film/art/architecture) things the wife wants to see (historical) and shops the kids want to go into (fucking expensive)
Barbados will be more relaxing, stopping with our family for 4 days then 5 days in a villa (can only handle the family for so long ) I am planning on being a totally different person on my return, fingers crossed.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 5
RE: Holidays 2012 - 26/6/2012 1:07:15 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson
I am planning on being a totally different person on my return, fingers crossed.

Are you having an operation while you are away?

I've been looking at long weekends away, just somewhere hot where I can lounge around and read etc but the minute I change the selection from 2 adults to 1 adult the price goes through the roof!

< Message edited by Hobbitonlass -- 26/6/2012 1:08:23 PM >

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 6
RE: Holidays 2012 - 26/6/2012 3:44:58 PM   
Valanya

Not getting away this year* as we're living hand to mouth, but I'm starting to plan a week away to Cornwall or Wales for next year. First proper holiday I'll have had in four years, I'm excited already

*Aside from a few days in Leicester to visit the folks... no one goes on holiday to Leicester.

What came first, the music or the misery?

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 7
RE: Holidays 2012 - 26/6/2012 4:33:44 PM   
st3veebee

Working until beginning/mid August and then back to college in September. haven't gotten round to any plans for then because of trying to get college sorted itself.

Will probably just end up going to Galway, usually good nights out there.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to Valanya)
Post #: 8
RE: Holidays 2012 - 27/6/2012 8:20:46 AM   
tommyjarvis

Tomorrow I head off to New Zealand on a work secondment and don't come back until the end of October. Should have stops in Australia, Cambodia, Vietnam and the US along the way. Can't wait.

"I've been too honest with myself, I should have lied like everybody else"

My Top 101 Rock Songs - The first Audiophile list to actually get completed!
Post #: 9
RE: Holidays 2012 - 27/6/2012 10:57:44 AM   
matty_b

Your Manics list is never going to get finished now, is it?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to tommyjarvis)
Post #: 10
RE: Holidays 2012 - 27/6/2012 11:03:40 AM   
Rebenectomy

Like others, skint, so probably a few days camping in Ireland. Not sure whether to just go somewhere near like the Mornes, or down south - all depends on finances in August.

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 11
RE: Holidays 2012 - 27/6/2012 11:37:15 AM   
MOTH

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebenectomy

Like others, skint, so probably a few days camping in Ireland. Not sure whether to just go somewhere near like the Mornes, or down south - all depends on finances in August.

hope you packed your scuba diving gear too?

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 12
RE: Holidays 2012 - 27/6/2012 11:56:12 AM   
Professor Moriarty

Either Kenya or India. Haven't decided yet, but I think it will be a safari in Kenya.

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 13
RE: Holidays 2012 - 27/6/2012 12:11:09 PM   
talpacino

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

Either Kenya or India. Haven't decided yet, but I think it will be a safari in Kenya.

Yeah I'm going nowhere. First time in years I won't get a holiday.

I did get a few days in Sligo though. Beat that!

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 14
RE: Holidays 2012 - 27/6/2012 12:16:52 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: talpacino

As a resident of Sligo, you have my sympathies.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 15
RE: Holidays 2012 - 27/6/2012 12:17:43 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

quote:

Most of it not my money I'm afraid. I was given a nice wad of cash for a 40th birthday present

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 16
RE: Holidays 2012 - 27/6/2012 12:24:23 PM   
talpacino

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

quote:

As a resident of Sligo, you have my sympathies.

It was actually kind of nice to be honest, we had a lodge rented on the grounds of Lisadell. We used to spend a lot of time down that way when we were young.

Currahee!

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 17
RE: Holidays 2012 - 27/6/2012 12:25:35 PM   
talpacino

quote:

quote:

quote:

Most of it not my money I'm afraid. I was given a nice wad of cash for a 40th birthday present

Yeah I'm just a bit jealous. I'd love to do a safari. I got away abroad 3 times last year so I shouldn't be complaining too much.

Currahee!

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 18
RE: Holidays 2012 - 27/6/2012 5:01:53 PM   
Hood_Man

Going to London to see The Dark Knight Rises in July, staying over the night of the 19th with mates and we're all going to out that night, then seeing the film the next day and travelling home that evening.

That's my holiday

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 19
RE: Holidays 2012 - 30/6/2012 11:27:50 PM   
Fit Kisto

Veags Baby, Veags! Followed by as much of the Mid-West as can be packed into 9 days Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Flagstaff, Yellowstone, Bryce & Zion.

So, if we all do check out at the end of 2012 at least I can say I've done it.

There is no Swamp Ape. It was invented for people who can't find the actual world fascinating. Y'know?

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 20
RE: Holidays 2012 - 1/7/2012 12:26:58 AM   
JessFranco

I've never been further North than Leicester so i'm planning to spend five days based in Newcastle to rectify that. Day trips to Durham, Alnwick and Berwick might be on the agenda.

Even the French know better than to fuck with me

http://closer-to-perfection.tumblr.com/

(in reply to Fit Kisto)
Post #: 21
RE: Holidays 2012 - 11/7/2012 11:40:06 AM   
steffols

This should probably be in the Holiday 2013 thread but I'm trying to get a head start on this one!

So recently me and my other half came into a bit of money so we've decided we want to go on holiday to places we both really want to go. Luckily, the destinations are not all too far from each other and we were thinking about taking two weeks and having a week in each. We were planning on going to Washington DC and New York. The very early initial plan was flights to New York > train/bus it to DC and then flights home from there.

Problem is I have no idea going about researching prices and stuff. I had a swift look at flight prices and they're anything but cheap, is there any way of shopping around? I've never been further than Germany before so I'm really clueless about all this!

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to JessFranco)
Post #: 22
RE: Holidays 2012 - 11/7/2012 11:59:17 AM   
talpacino

quote:

ORIGINAL: steffols

This should probably be in the Holiday 2013 thread but I'm trying to get a head start on this one!

So recently me and my other half came into a bit of money so we've decided we want to go on holiday to places we both really want to go. Luckily, the destinations are not all too far from each other and we were thinking about taking two weeks and having a week in each. We were planning on going to Washington DC and New York. The very early initial plan was flights to New York > train/bus it to DC and then flights home from there.

Problem is I have no idea going about researching prices and stuff. I had a swift look at flight prices and they're anything but cheap, is there any way of shopping around? I've never been further than Germany before so I'm really clueless about all this!

I use Skyscanner and lastminute to check prices of flights, they search all the main airlines and bring back the best price. I'd prefer Lastminute over Skyscanner because they give you the option of multistop, say flying into NY and home from Washington. We're looking at heading over to Washington in September. Prices are in and around 430 each return which having done a lot of flights to the States in the last 10 years isn't too bad at all. The prices will be similar to New York I'd say. We use Amtrak for the trains if we're using them but we usually drive. I think it's about $50 from New York to Washington on the train.

< Message edited by talpacino -- 11/7/2012 12:04:43 PM >

Currahee!

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 23
RE: Holidays 2012 - 11/7/2012 1:49:29 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: steffols

I used Agoda versus Dialaflight for my trip. One was cheaper than the other for flights, but dearer for hotels, but once they knew they were competing, they miraculously managed to beat each other. Well worth spending a day on the internet and on the phone. My first quote to stop for 5 nights in NY at the Waldorf Astoria (me, the missus and 2 teenage girls) was 350 a night (hotel only). By the time I had finished, I had got that down to 130 per night (for the 4 of us - not EACH)
So basically I'm stopping in the same hotel as King JaffyJoffa for the price of a Travelodge
Also, for the flights I got the same price for England - NY - Barbados - England for the same price as NY and back.
My only advice would be to call early in the morning, and insist on speaking to the same person, make it personal if you like.

< Message edited by jonson -- 11/7/2012 1:51:05 PM >

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 24
RE: Holidays 2012 - 11/7/2012 2:10:44 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: JessFranco

I've never been further North than Leicester so i'm planning to spend five days based in Newcastle to rectify that. Day trips to Durham, Alnwick and Berwick might be on the agenda.

All very nice but you should also check out Alvino's and Soho for brain-blistering cocktails while you're at it. Oh and the Tyneside Cinema.

< Message edited by horribleives -- 11/7/2012 2:13:07 PM >

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to JessFranco)
Post #: 25
RE: Holidays 2012 - 11/7/2012 3:11:36 PM   
steffols

quote:

I use Skyscanner and lastminute to check prices of flights, they search all the main airlines and bring back the best price. I'd prefer Lastminute over Skyscanner because they give you the option of multistop, say flying into NY and home from Washington. We're looking at heading over to Washington in September. Prices are in and around 430 each return which having done a lot of flights to the States in the last 10 years isn't too bad at all. The prices will be similar to New York I'd say. We use Amtrak for the trains if we're using them but we usually drive. I think it's about $50 from New York to Washington on the train.

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

I used Agoda versus Dialaflight for my trip. One was cheaper than the other for flights, but dearer for hotels, but once they knew they were competing, they miraculously managed to beat each other. Well worth spending a day on the internet and on the phone. My first quote to stop for 5 nights in NY at the Waldorf Astoria (me, the missus and 2 teenage girls) was 350 a night (hotel only). By the time I had finished, I had got that down to 130 per night (for the 4 of us - not EACH)
So basically I'm stopping in the same hotel as King JaffyJoffa for the price of a Travelodge
Also, for the flights I got the same price for England - NY - Barbados - England for the same price as NY and back.
My only advice would be to call early in the morning, and insist on speaking to the same person, make it personal if you like.

Thanks guys, those prices are definitely more what I was looking for! I'm going to have a look at those sites soon as we get things moving. I have heard that it's definitely worth shopping around but I just have no idea where to start.

Jonson, that sort of deal with the hotel is incredible! My other half suggested we stay at a hostel to save money but we have this money to treat ourselves with, I'm not planning on costcutting by staying in student hostels! I want opulence! I'll definitely be trying for something like that myself. Again, thanks men!

< Message edited by steffols -- 11/7/2012 3:14:06 PM >

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 26
RE: Holidays 2012 - 13/7/2012 5:43:16 PM   
gingerdaniel

My shiny new passport came today, and i immediately booked 2 flights to switzerland for my ladyfriend and i mid August. We're going to meet with my pal and tour down round to monaco and back over 9 days. Can't wait.

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 27
RE: Holidays 2012 - 14/7/2012 12:11:50 AM   
Spider

Me and the girlfriend are booked for 5 days away in Seville at the end of September. Have heard it's going to be very hot but should be nice.

Considering taking another trip away before the year is out, probably to Madrid (I love Spain!).

Rudi Manchego's Simple Rustic Wisdom:
If you look at a pebble, you will see your own face

Howard Moon: Fusion Minstrel Vince Noir: Gothic Fairy. The Boosh is Loose and it's coming at you like a shark with knees!

Post #: 28
RE: Holidays 2012 - 15/8/2012 8:56:43 PM   
gingerdaniel

Two days to my holiday and i cannot wait!

We've changed our route now to head through Austria and down to Italy as the traffic around Monaco this time of year is apparently manic.

I've just looked at the weather and Vienna's supposed to be 41 degrees on Wednesday!

(in reply to Spider)
Post #: 29
RE: Holidays 2012 - 15/8/2012 10:44:25 PM   
Sway

I just spent 2 weeks on a road trip camping around Europe. Was sweet. Went to Belgium, Germany, Luxembourg and the Netherlands.

Highlights include: the Nurburgring, Spa Francorchamps, and Bastogne.

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Holidays!!! Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI