Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: LEAVE. GEORGE AND RIDLEY. ALONE!!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: LEAVE. GEORGE AND RIDLEY. ALONE!!! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: LEAVE. GEORGE AND RIDLEY. ALONE!!! - 27/6/2012 2:30:15 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris kilby

Blade Runner is one of my all-time favourites. Always has been, always will be - I too was there (in an empty cinema!) back in the day.

Blade Runner in an empty cinema...for the first time? Sounds like fucking heaven.

Oh, it was. Apart from the voice-over and obviously tacked-on "happy" ending, that is. And, you know, the fact NO-ONE ELSE WENT TO SEE IT! Which baffles me to this day. How did a film that good die so spectacularly on its well-appointed arse? John Carpenter's The Thing as well. It can't all have been ET's fault, surely? Actually, it probably was - ET's feelgood factor better reflecting the public mood. In the States certainly, what with Reagan's post-Watergate/Vietnam "It's morning in America" vibe in the ascendant.

(Don't tell anyone, but I actually still kinda like the much-maligned voice over. And as Kim Newman has pointed out, once you've heard it, it's kinda hard to watch subsequent, narrationless cuts of Blade Runner without benefiting from the information it imparts.)

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 27/6/2012 9:20:27 PM >

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 61
RE: LEAVE. GEORGE AND RIDLEY. ALONE!!! - 27/6/2012 2:32:55 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: shatnerhamster

I thoroughly enjoyed Prometheus, and would be very eager to see sequels, so I'm not going to bash Ridley.

George Lucas, on the other hand - as long as he continues to refuse to release the original Star Wars trilogy in their proper versions, he richly deserves all the abuse he's currently getting.

Why? Bin Laden didn't "deserve" the abuse Lucas gets. Which was kinda my point.

(in reply to shatnerhamster)
Post #: 62
RE: LEAVE. GEORGE AND RIDLEY. ALONE!!! - 27/6/2012 2:38:32 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

Does it really need a sequel when the Blade Runner PC game of the late nineties was beyond perfect and captured much of the ethos of the original flick? (I do feel sorry for those that never had the opportunity to play the game).

Does any film actually need a sequel? For every Empire Strikes Back, Godfather Part II and Aliens there are countless Robocop and MIB2s. It's not a question of need anyway. It's commerce, pure and simple. The only need most sequels ultimately satisfy is the need for the studios to squeeze a few more bucks out of us rubes. More greedy than greedy is their motto.

(You see what I did there?)

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 63
RE: LEAVE. GEORGE AND RIDLEY. ALONE!!! - 27/6/2012 2:41:24 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lazarus munkey

Blade Runner 2.

LEAVE BLADE RUNNER. ALONE!!

Yeah, it'll probably be rubbish. Most belated sequels are. And yet... And yet... Blade Runner was always so compromised from the start, long before anxious financiers (and idiot preview audiences) forced that "Irving the Explainer" voice over and tacked-on happy ending to its original theatrical release.

Blade Runner lost a lot of expensive, hard-to-realise setpieces during its equally tortuous pre-production (Deckard's arrival in LA by train; Batty and co's escape from the off-world colonies, etc) which maybe Scott would still like to realise now effects technology has caught up with his imagination and he has the clout and resources to achieve them.

While I'm not sure about a direct sequel to Blade Runner, I for one would dearly love to see more of that world and maybe a further exploration of its rich, er, Dickish themes of memory, identity and humanity - there are plenty of unfilmed Philip K Dick novels along similar lines which could serve as the basis of a Blade Runner sequel. (The film of Minority Report was originally going to be Total Recall 2 remember!)

Blade Runner is one of my all-time favourites. Always has been, always will be - I too was there (in an empty cinema!) back in the day. But there is no denying it remains a flawed, hopelessly compromised film (even in its 'Final Cut' form) and far from what Scott originally hoped to achieve. Now while that is exactly the sort of forced compromise which often results in great art (necessity being the mother of invention and all that - unlimited resources didn't make The Phantom Menace a better film than Star Wars, did it? Quite the opposite) there is still a lot of 'tell don't show' in Blade Runner. And I don't know about anyone else, but I would quite like to see attack ships on fire off the Shoulder of Orion; C-beams glittering in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate; I want to see things you people wouldn't believe!

So yeah, a Blade Runner sequel would probably suck. Most sequels do, belated sequels especially. But you never know. It might not. It might even be good. So benefit of the doubt, eh guys?

(And even if 'Blade Runner 2' sucks the paint job off a star destroyer, it won't detract from the original one whit, so what's the problem? The Godfather Part III doesn't adversely affect Parts I and II in the slightest. Nor, if you are that way inclined, does Prometheus 'harm' Alien any more than some of its sequels did. These things are always easily-ignored if you so wish. Besides, Scott first mooted what became Prometheus more than 30 years ago, so I'll believe it when I see it!)

Does it really need a sequel when the Blade Runner PC game of the late nineties was beyond perfect and captured much of the ethos of the original flick? (I do feel sorry for those that never had the opportunity to play the game).

Before I saw Prometheus, I was quietly confident and getting quite excited about the prospect of a Blade Runner sequel/prequel/follow-up (whatever the hell it's gonna be), especially considering Hampton Fancher's involvement. But then I saw Prometheus...

I'm still intrigued, though, and I think it could be good - I blame a lot of Prometheus' (many) short comings on the story and the script, which was nowt to do with Ridders of course, and we know that when it comes to Ridley Scott, a good story and good script are at least 50% of his good films (I know that goes for most films, but few other directors' films are affected so badly when the script and story aren't that good). The trouble is he will sign up to pretty much any basic premise that interests him (I believe he signed up to most of the films he's made in the last decade or so based on premise alone and before any proper script was in place) and doesn't tend to get too involved with developing the story, even if it is sub-par. But Fancher's a good writer and he hasn't done so much work that the years have burnt him out. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed, and hoping.

But whatever happens with it and whether it'll be any good or not, I just hope that he doesn't cast Russell Crowe.

If Blade Runner was made today there's a good chance it would star Russell Crowe. (Ten years ago it would have been Bruce Willis.)

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 64
RE: LEAVE. GEORGE AND RIDLEY. ALONE!!! - 27/6/2012 2:42:06 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

quote:

George Lucas, on the other hand - as long as he continues to refuse to release the original Star Wars trilogy in their proper versions, he richly deserves all the abuse he's currently getting.

Utter horseshit. Besides, they were released on DVD.

Blunt, but he has a point.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 65
RE: LEAVE. GEORGE AND RIDLEY. ALONE!!! - 27/6/2012 3:26:02 PM   
shatnerhamster

quote:

quote:

I thoroughly enjoyed Prometheus, and would be very eager to see sequels, so I'm not going to bash Ridley.

I suppose it depends how invested you are in the original trilogy. In my case, 'Star Wars' is one of my very favourite films, so it's absolutely infuriating that it will only ever be released on blu-ray if George Lucas dies, and maybe not even then.

There's nothing wrong with him polluting his films with crappy CGI and pissing all over the ground-breaking special effects work that they once contained. If he wants to create alternative, inferior versions of his best work, fair enough.
There is something wrong with then withdrawing the original films altogether and making the inferior versions the only ones available.
What possible reason could there be for releasing a blu-ray box set of the original Star Wars films that doesn't contain the actual original Star Wars films, even as special features? How is this in any way defensible?

(in reply to chris kilby)
Post #: 66
RE: LEAVE. GEORGE AND RIDLEY. ALONE!!! - 27/6/2012 4:47:09 PM   
DancingClown

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

Post #: 67
RE: LEAVE. GEORGE AND RIDLEY. ALONE!!! - 27/6/2012 4:51:24 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

Doesn't count for these reasons.

1) It was a "Limited Edition" set
2) The OT came as Bonus Discs only
3) They weren't even presented in anamorphic
4) The quality is dreadful, it was a hash job
5) The fact that the online fan versions are superior in quality than anything Lucasfilm have managed says it all

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 68
RE: LEAVE. GEORGE AND RIDLEY. ALONE!!! - 27/6/2012 5:03:28 PM   
DancingClown

Better than nothing.

But I stand by what I said before. As infuriating as Lucas' decisions have been at least they are his decisions. At least he was being true to what he wanted, misguided though he was - although how misguided is still subjective.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 69
RE: LEAVE. GEORGE AND RIDLEY. ALONE!!! - 27/6/2012 5:10:38 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

Does any film actually need a sequel?

Yes. The Evil Dead needed Evil Dead 2 and for that the world is a much better place...

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

Post #: 70
RE: LEAVE. GEORGE AND RIDLEY. ALONE!!! - 27/6/2012 5:41:34 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

quote:

quote:

I suppose it depends how invested you are in the original trilogy. In my case, 'Star Wars' is one of my very favourite films, so it's absolutely infuriating that it will only ever be released on blu-ray if George Lucas dies, and maybe not even then.

There's nothing wrong with him polluting his films with crappy CGI and pissing all over the ground-breaking special effects work that they once contained. If he wants to create alternative, inferior versions of his best work, fair enough.
There is something wrong with then withdrawing the original films altogether and making the inferior versions the only ones available.
What possible reason could there be for releasing a blu-ray box set of the original Star Wars films that doesn't contain the actual original Star Wars films, even as special features? How is this in any way defensible?

How is this in any way grounds for abuse. That's what's indefensible here. They're just movies fer Chrissakes! Movies which some proprietorial fans are waaay too "invested" in.

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 27/6/2012 9:23:16 PM >

Post #: 71
RE: LEAVE. GEORGE AND RIDLEY. ALONE!!! - 27/6/2012 5:42:48 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

quote:

Does any film actually need a sequel?

Yes. The Evil Dead needed Evil Dead 2 and for that the world is a much better place...

Groovy.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 72
RE: LEAVE. GEORGE AND RIDLEY. ALONE!!! - 27/6/2012 6:36:11 PM   
Lazarus munkey

quote:

quote:

quote:

That'll be, "to make you want them more."

When the originals are released on Blu-ray in their original form (which they inevitably will be), people will flock in their droves to their local supermarkets and Amazon will go into meltdown.

The love for Star Wars is the gift that just keeps giving.

"Because I got the answers"

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
The Amazing Spider-Man 3/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

Post #: 73
RE: LEAVE. GEORGE AND RIDLEY. ALONE!!! - 27/6/2012 9:24:38 PM   
chris kilby

And the ca$h cow tit old George can't stop squeezing.

(in reply to Lazarus munkey)
Post #: 74
RE: LEAVE. GEORGE AND RIDLEY. ALONE!!! - 28/6/2012 9:32:57 AM   
shatnerhamster

quote:

And the ca$h cow tit old George can't stop squeezing.

LEAVE. GEORGE. ALONE!!!

Post #: 75
RE: LEAVE. GEORGE AND RIDLEY. ALONE!!! - 28/6/2012 10:53:28 AM   
st3veebee

Am I the only person here who would love some more Star Wars films?

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

Post #: 76
RE: LEAVE. GEORGE AND RIDLEY. ALONE!!! - 28/6/2012 12:54:12 PM   
The Big Guy

I am certain that Star Wars may have been mentioned once or twice on this forum. Call it a Spidey sense, if you will. But if I, as a humble newb, may put in my two pence. I think there is scope for more sequels. A VII VIII and IX. But it will only work if Lucas allows a co-writer, and lets someone else direct. A big name director will never work, just as it probably would not work for Bond. (Although Sam Mendes directing the next film will hopefully prove me wrong.) But a smaller director, with a vision, could do wonders. The director of Monsters, for instance.

Just a thought. Star Wars has been over-milked, but there is room for three more films, if nothing else to rectify the prequel trilogy's mistakes.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 77
RE: LEAVE. GEORGE AND RIDLEY. ALONE!!! - 28/6/2012 12:58:25 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

Get in line. Evil Dead 4 first...

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 78
RE: LEAVE. GEORGE AND RIDLEY. ALONE!!! - 28/6/2012 1:02:25 PM   
Chief

quote:

I'm in.

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Big Guy

I am certain that Star Wars may have been mentioned once or twice on this forum. Call it a Spidey sense, if you will. But if I, as a humble newb, may put in my two pence. I think there is scope for more sequels. A VII VIII and IX. But it will only work if Lucas allows a co-writer, and lets someone else direct. A big name director will never work, just as it probably would not work for Bond. (Although Sam Mendes directing the next film will hopefully prove me wrong.) But a smaller director, with a vision, could do wonders. The director of Monsters, for instance.

Just a thought. Star Wars has been over-milked, but there is room for three more films, if nothing else to rectify the prequel trilogy's mistakes.

And I like this idea.

I'm actually surprised George Lucash hasn't jumped at this. The prequels have already proved that the brand can take a hit critically and be fine so what has he got to lose?

Unless of course sequels were never part of his original "vision".

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 79
RE: LEAVE. GEORGE AND RIDLEY. ALONE!!! - 28/6/2012 1:07:08 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief
Unless of course sequels were never part of his original "vision".

His original vision changes as he sees fit.

I wouldn't mind more Star Wars films, but only if they are scripted and directed by someone other than Lucas.

I always remember the Sci Fi channel showing a "live" (I think there was a slight delay in case of naghty language or copyright infringement) lunch meeting at Cafe Coppola in the mid 90s between Lucas, Coppola and Saul Zaentz, which was basically them talking about their careers up to that point and what they were planning to do in the future.

Lucas specifically stated that development on the prequels was well advanced and he would be directly involved, but that he would NOT be directing any of them and would probably not direct again, preferring to develop story ideas and remain on board as a consulting producer (as he had done for Empire and Jedi). Unfortunately of course, that's not how it panned out...

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 80
RE: LEAVE. GEORGE AND RIDLEY. ALONE!!! - 28/6/2012 4:46:35 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

You got one already, it sucked.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 81
RE: LEAVE. GEORGE AND RIDLEY. ALONE!!! - 29/6/2012 10:21:06 AM   
jobloffski

Don't judge the series just on that. There is some rather astoundingly Star Warsy events/battles/scenarios/character moments/actual emotion/excitement/this rocks!!! stuff in the series that more or less prove the point that Lucas would have been wiser to oversee, rather than personally drive, the entire Prequel wagon.

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 29/6/2012 10:28:16 AM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 82
RE: LEAVE. GEORGE AND RIDLEY. ALONE!!! - 29/6/2012 10:28:08 AM   
spark1

i think spielberg screwed up 'crystal skull', not lucas.
he has worked on mediocre material and enhanced it, such as 'temple of doom'.

he just did not bring his a game to bear on indy 4.

compare it with the energy he brought to 'tin tin'.

on the whole mr lucas has been a positive thing for film, especially behind the camera with his revolutionary post prodcution technology.

and the prequels aren't bad either. at least they begat 'the clone wars' tv shows.

< Message edited by spark1 -- 30/6/2012 12:27:08 PM >

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 83
RE: LEAVE. GEORGE AND RIDLEY. ALONE!!! - 30/6/2012 1:40:55 PM   
spark1

his current films are not perfect but at least sir ridley is going through a purple patch.

and thanks to him for 'the good wife'

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 84
RE: LEAVE. GEORGE AND RIDLEY. ALONE!!! - 30/6/2012 4:55:56 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: jobloffski

Don't judge the series just on that. There is some rather astoundingly Star Warsy events/battles/scenarios/character moments/actual emotion/excitement/this rocks!!! stuff in the series that more or less prove the point that Lucas would have been wiser to oversee, rather than personally drive, the entire Prequel wagon.

Yeah, The Clone Wars is surprisingly good and actually gets better as it goes along. I'm also looking forward to the live action Star Wars: Underworld. Assuming it ever gets made. I'm expecting something darker, maybe even something BSG-influenced - Boba Fett: Wanted Dead or Alive? . Although Rick McCallum's claims it's gonna be "Deadwood in Space" is probably pushing it. Ian McShane IS Darth Profanus - "May The Fuckin' Force Be With You..."?

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 85
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: LEAVE. GEORGE AND RIDLEY. ALONE!!! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI