Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Remake : The Running Man

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Remake : The Running Man Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Remake : The Running Man - 4/12/2012 2:45:53 PM   
Don_a_van

All those who are slating the original Arnie classic, FOR SHAME. You do realise you are committing movie sacrilege right?

There is no chance in hell that a remake will be a patch on the original. See the recent Total Recall as a perfect example of why this is true. Arnie is irreplaceable as far as I am concerned, The 200m they'll no doubt spend on the CGI w*ankothon remake would be much better spent cloning a younger version of Arnie so that he can go back to making movies in his prime IMO.

(in reply to carleslempner)
Post #: 31
RE: Remake : The Running Man - 4/12/2012 7:04:20 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Don_a_van

All those who are slating the original Arnie classic, FOR SHAME. You do realise you are committing movie sacrilege right?

There is no chance in hell that a remake will be a patch on the original. See the recent Total Recall as a perfect example of why this is true. Arnie is irreplaceable as far as I am concerned, The 200m they'll no doubt spend on the CGI w*ankothon remake would be much better spent cloning a younger version of Arnie so that he can go back to making movies in his prime IMO.

Have heard terrible things about this years Recall, but take issue with you on Farrell who has become a very decent and engaging actor and I am sure does a fine job even if nothing else works.

(in reply to Don_a_van)
Post #: 32
RE: Remake : The Running Man - 4/12/2012 11:19:16 PM   
Mister Coe

Watched the RECALL remake the other night... I was quite surprised how much I liked it. Yes, the 12A thing made it weaker than the original, but Farrell is very good, Beckensale (playing both the Stone and Ironside parts) was even better and there were a couple of terrific action scenes.

THE RUNNING MAN is a far lesser film than the original RECALL and, subsequently, would be OK for a remake, IMO.

Say what now?

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 33
RE: Remake : The Running Man - 6/12/2012 4:49:37 PM   
Don_a_van

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Don_a_van

Have heard terrible things about this years Recall, but take issue with you on Farrell who has become a very decent and engaging actor and I am sure does a fine job even if nothing else works.

Oh Farrell is a decent enough actor no doubt but he ain't no Arnie. There is an Arnie shaped action hero void in movieland that no one has been able to fill as of yet IMO.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 34
RE: Remake : The Running Man - 3/5/2013 7:31:05 AM   
smithdown

Watching The Running Man as I type this. The flamethrower stalker dude is currently doing his slow-walk bad-ass Black Terminator impression, mixed with hispanic lady wondering deserted corpse-strewn corridors a la Ripley in Aliens, complete with metal stairs and flashing industrial lights - I never realised how many other films from the era it ripped off before now! And here comes Ventura in his plastic robot outfit....

Despite all that, I freaking love this film. Hell yeah its been copied, rinsed, repeated ad infinitum (anyone remember Series 7: The Contenders??). The problem with most of those copycats is they lack the tongue-in-cheek crassness and stupid humour in TRM. Its not up there with Recall, but it came 4 years before Verhoeven mastered that style of film.

As for a remake - it could work. As long as they avoid doing a Nolan i.e. gritty, serious, 'real'. Keep the corniness and rubbish jokes, OTT violence (anything less than an 18 / R rating and they can fuck right off) and slightly ropey effects and they'll have a winner.

I vote a beefed-up Wolverine-esque Hugh Jackman or (gasp!) Brendan Fraser As Ben Richards - not too young, believable physiques, proven comedy chops, and charmingly likeable on the whole. Plus, not quite A-list enough for some studio to risk a ridiculous budget on them. And for Killian - Ben Kingsley, purely because of his terrific work in Iron Man 3.

Film's nearly over now, took me so long to type all that!

PS - Did you ever notice in every one of his major 80s action movies, Arnie's love interest is non-Caucasian? I must stress I have no problem with it, I just noticed it is all - Running Man (hispanic), Total Recall (Black-Hispanic?), Predator - Hispanic, Commando - Black. Its actually nice to see them challenging the 'traditional' racial relations even back then, when such things weren't so widely accepted in society.
In fact, the only white woman I can think he was with from that era (discounting stuff like Twins) was Sharon Stone - and she tried to kill him! Is there some subtext here....?? Lol, kidding. I'm gonna have to go do some research now though!

EDIT: OK OK, I am talking bulshit - Red Sonja, Conan (both) and Raw Deal see him paired with white women. I stand corrected.... :(

Not that anyone will be reading this anyway!

< Message edited by smithdown -- 3/5/2013 7:54:14 AM >

(in reply to Don_a_van)
Post #: 35
RE: Remake : The Running Man - 3/5/2013 5:32:44 PM   
sandy666

La Prix Du Danger is pretty similar in concept and far better in its execution.

(in reply to carleslempner)
Post #: 36
RE: Remake : The Running Man - 3/5/2013 6:55:06 PM   
Mister Coe

With respect, Smithdown, I'd love to see a truly gritty version of The Running Man. Ben Richards should look like a desperate man, underfed and terrified, on the loose in a rundown city where the option to get ahead is appearing in a show like The Running Man. And it should play on the way that Reality TV will manipulate the things he does (ie killing the people who are hunting him) and turns him into a monster for the viewing pleasure of the masses. And it needs to be a full-blooded R / 18 rated grim and nasty rub-you-in-the-face kind of movie.

There's a great film here, just waiting to be made.

My opinion, anyway.

Say what now?

(in reply to sandy666)
Post #: 37
RE: Remake : The Running Man - 7/5/2013 11:46:06 AM   
smithdown

@Mister Coe - I think there's merit to both approaches. Certainly yours would probably see more success at the boxoffice. I can't help feeling that my version would be a lot more fun though, and certainly more pleasing to fans of the original!

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 38
RE: Remake : The Running Man - 7/5/2013 9:34:02 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

ORIGINAL: smithdown

@Mister Coe - I think there's merit to both approaches. Certainly yours would probably see more success at the boxoffice. I can't help feeling that my version would be a lot more fun though, and certainly more pleasing to fans of the original!

Your version would be fine and im up for that....

Just as long as they don't make Ben Richards look like a goldfish in shiny lycra with a potato-head (and a bad haircut) sticking out of the top...

Say what now?

(in reply to smithdown)
Post #: 39
RE: Remake : The Running Man - 30/7/2013 10:32:22 PM   
Mr Gittes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

With respect, Smithdown, I'd love to see a truly gritty version of The Running Man. Ben Richards should look like a desperate man, underfed and terrified, on the loose in a rundown city where the option to get ahead is appearing in a show like The Running Man. And it should play on the way that Reality TV will manipulate the things he does (ie killing the people who are hunting him) and turns him into a monster for the viewing pleasure of the masses. And it needs to be a full-blooded R / 18 rated grim and nasty rub-you-in-the-face kind of movie.

There's a great film here, just waiting to be made.

My opinion, anyway.

Agree with this. Would LOVE to see a faithful adaptation because it would make a really great movie. It's just such a damn shame that even if it did happen, they'd have to drop the brilliant ending from the book.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 40
RE: Remake : The Running Man - 31/7/2013 9:04:49 AM   
FoximusPrime

quote:

ORIGINAL: smithdown

PS - Did you ever notice in every one of his major 80s action movies, Arnie's love interest is non-Caucasian? I must stress I have no problem with it, I just noticed it is all - Running Man (hispanic), Total Recall (Black-Hispanic?), Predator - Hispanic, Commando - Black. Its actually nice to see them challenging the 'traditional' racial relations even back then, when such things weren't so widely accepted in society.
In fact, the only white woman I can think he was with from that era (discounting stuff like Twins) was Sharon Stone - and she tried to kill him! Is there some subtext here....?? Lol, kidding. I'm gonna have to go do some research now though!

Add his baby-mama maid to the Hispanic column...

The Running Man is such an enjoyable film and, while the one-liners probably aren't up there with the best of Arnie (i.e. Commando), there is this great exchange when they see Dynamo (I think) over the crest of a hill:

Amber: "Jesus Christ!"
Ben: "Guess again..."

Spoiler colour: #F1F1F1

(in reply to smithdown)
Post #: 41
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Remake : The Running Man Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI