Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Dredd

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Dredd Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Dredd - 22/6/2012 10:11:02 AM   
Youshouldberunning

...and I don't think Danny Butterman and Nicholas Angel would be happy with him being Judge Judy and Executioner.

< Message edited by Youshouldberunning -- 22/6/2012 10:13:12 AM >

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 31
Difficult to see - 22/6/2012 10:16:09 AM   
ericcoyle

Oh No! This looks terrible. Mega city one is all flat with the odd tall building, the CGI looks like a computer game, the costumes look too bulky and the helmets too large for the judge's heads. I spotted at once from photos in Empire a few months ago that the eye sections of the helmets don't match where the actor's eyes should be and some are lower, some higher. This makes it look like a one size fits all scenario to save money. The kung fu bit with the "rookie" judge is so slow and badly done it looks like something out of bad 70's american tv shows. And the she goes and says the one line that lets you know this is going to be utter crap..."It ends now". Give me a break. Bad, bad bad.
At least the production design on Stalone's version looked like mega city one and all the other costumes were pitch perfect. The technology on show here just makes this look like a cheap version and if the helmets look silly how can you take the rest seriously.

Post #: 32
Hmm - 22/6/2012 10:27:01 AM   
guysalisbury

Was really looking forward to this but it looks very average. Lets wait and see. Like a few people have said, it would have been cool to see Judge Death.

Post #: 33
Interesting approach. - 22/6/2012 10:51:53 AM   
Nicky C

Seems they've jumped right in with a movie that has Dredd established at the beginning, giving it an episodic quality. This goes against the grain of contemporary reboot/origin approaches so we won't be seeing how Dredd became a Judge. It will be interesting to see how/if they manage to give Dredd a decent character arc. I find Garland hit-and-miss as a writer (I loved Sunshine, though. Tragically overlooked and brilliant movie) so this is definitely a 'wait and see' for me.

Post #: 34
RE: Interesting approach. - 22/6/2012 11:15:03 AM   
Osric

Where's that Dreddhead loon? I find that I'm actually missing his mad ranting. I think I've got stockholme syndrome.

(in reply to Nicky C)
Post #: 35
Already Screened at Cannes - 22/6/2012 11:27:27 AM   
Deydalarozi

.... Where apparently it did extremely well. It's been getting a lot of positive feedback for a comic book film!

I'd suspend judgement until the Red Band trailer comes out. If they've stuck to the material it'll be x10 more violent than this.

Post #: 36
RE: - 22/6/2012 1:07:56 PM   
Filmfan 2

So this all takes place in a high-rise?

God, I hope this doesn't turn out to be like The Raid!

I am not drinkin' any fuckin' Merlot!

"All I wanted me was a piece of cornbread, you motherfuckers!"

Defender of all things Batman Begins

(in reply to Youshouldberunning)
Post #: 37
I have hope - 22/6/2012 2:43:25 PM   
nybras

for this compared to that awful 1995 film. Would love to see A.B.C. Warriors and/or Judge Death, Fear, Fire and Mortis.

Post #: 38
Not great. - 22/6/2012 2:56:33 PM   
keaneye

In terms of how it looks, I like how it has a Mad Max rawness to it. As for the rest? The dialogue already sounds clumsy and laboured. The pacing of the trailer is terrible. It really doesn't feel all that involving. It doesn't have me all riled up to see it.

Post #: 39
Very mixed feelings about this - 22/6/2012 4:00:55 PM   
Dr Science

1. La Roux!! AAAAAGGGGGGHHHH!!!! Make it stop. Oh it did. Thank fuck for that.
2. The outfit and the bike - you could say 'realisitic', or you could say 'dull'. But the redesigns are definitely not iconic. Thank god they’ve got the helmet right – and the Lawgiver looks pretty cool too.
3. Mega City One looks disappointingly low budget – it reminds me of District 9. On reflection I suppose this makes sense – if everyone lives in one place because a global catastrophe has forced them too then they’re hardly going to invest in building monumental skyscrapers that house hundreds of thousands of people. However, it’s still disappointing that it’s not all a bit more sci-fi: what you really want for a good Mega City One film is a mix of Verhoeven’s Robocop Detroit, Scott’s Blade Runner LA, and Otomo’s Akira Neo-Tokyo.
4. The overall tone seems pretty grim and dour. Judge Dredd in its heydey was all about the satire; it was always vaguely ridiculous and extreme, and always in the interests of holding up a mirror to (Thatcherite) society. There was often a very pythonesque quality to the writing. I get no hint of that here – just a straight-up near-future what if...? with loads of violence.
5. So what if the plot is similar to The Raid? It doesn’t matter at all – and you’re really not clever for pointing that out. Pointless discussion. I’m more concerned that that the plot is a means to overcome the low-budget. All good sci-fi needs scope and breadth (and ideally budget) – I’m not convinced from the trailer that we’re going to get much more that a very narrow slice of Mega City life. Having said that, a lot of Dredd strips were little more than “someone is naughty, Dredd kicks their ass” so maybe they were right to just keep it simple.
6. Anderson. Obviously there to broaden the demographic appeal and balance the faceless presence of Dredd. Not s

Post #: 40
RE: Very mixed feelings about this - 22/6/2012 4:05:27 PM   
Dr Science

got cut off for some reason

6. Anderson. Obviously there to broaden the demographic appeal and balance the faceless presence of Dredd. Not sure if that’s a good thing. Why humanise him by showing how he relates to a rookie – he should be a one man army, an emotionless justice-machine with no sympathetic qualities at all – that’s what makes him a cult anti-hero. Also I’m pretty sure that Anderson won’t be psychic – it doesn’t seem to fit with this Universe, and if that’s the case why use her at all – if they just wanted a generic sidekick character they’d have been better off going with Judge Giant.
7. Judge Death ruined Dredd – turned it into some stupid supernatural nonsense – it was like a Halloween version of Dredd. I really didn’t enjoy any of the Judge Death storylines and I’m pleased that it’s unlikely that he will fit in this Dredd Universe.
8. If this is good and they get a franchise going then I hope we get a film with Chopper – he’s the ultimate foil for Dredd – a free spirit, and the one that got away

I've got a tombstone hand and a graveyard mind

(in reply to Dr Science)
Post #: 41
RE: Very mixed feelings about this - 22/6/2012 4:06:56 PM   
Spaldron

The amount of fail on this thread is embarrassing, I really need to stay away from news and reviews.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Dr Science)
Post #: 42
RE: Very mixed feelings about this - 22/6/2012 4:10:50 PM   
elab49

And auditing threads, too perhaps?

And seriously - no-one should be refreshing the same post 7 times

< Message edited by elab49 -- 22/6/2012 4:14:21 PM >

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 43
RE: Very mixed feelings about this - 22/6/2012 4:22:40 PM   
directorscut

I haven't read a Dredd comic in my life

But that trailer makes the Stallone version look like a minor sci-fi action classic.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 44
Give it time - 22/6/2012 5:08:53 PM   
Harry Lime 1974

Obviously Judge Death and the Dark Judges would have been preferred but given the tiny (for this type of film anyway) budget it wouldn't have really worked.

Hopefully if this takes off they can used in a sequel, maybe an after credits bit with this film of a shadowy figure hissing. The bit about 800 million people also means they might be planning to do the Apocalypse War.

In any event this two minute trailer already feels more like Judge Dredd than Stallone could manage (with the honourable exception of Chris Hall's Mean Machine Angel - who should also be used in the sequel!).

Post #: 45
Give it time - 22/6/2012 5:13:56 PM   
Harry Lime 1974

Obviously Judge Death and the Dark Judges would have been preferred but given the tiny (for this type of film anyway) budget it wouldn't have really worked.

Hopefully if this takes off they can used in a sequel, maybe an after credits bit with this film of a shadowy figure hissing. The bit about 800 million people also means they might be planning to do the Apocalypse War.

In any event this two minute trailer already feels more like Judge Dredd than Stallone could manage (with the honourable exception of Chris Hall's Mean Machine Angel - who should also be used in the sequel!).

Post #: 46
RE: Give it time - 22/6/2012 5:14:23 PM   
Wild about Wilder

Hmmm not bad if only The Raid hadn't come out such a short time ago also we've got the "Dredded"( sorry bout that 1 I'll get my coat!) 3D to contend with.

< Message edited by Wild about Wilder -- 22/6/2012 5:16:07 PM >

(in reply to Harry Lime 1974)
Post #: 47
3D - 22/6/2012 5:22:09 PM   
IainPurdie

Oh dear. I hope they release a non-3D version for those of us who don't like dingy squint-o-vision.

Post #: 48
Ouch - 22/6/2012 5:28:50 PM   
mancalledpete

It's pretty awful isn't it? Looks made for TV and why do they really need to give the entire plot away in one trailer? Strange decision. This is off my 'to see' list. DVD it is!

Post #: 49
'It's a warzone!!!" - 22/6/2012 6:06:22 PM   
GALLYMOO

Love the chase sequence...villians firing at anything while screaming...pure carnage...this is a megacity hell-hole...just another day for dredd...good idea about just freestyling the character in without the obligatory origin set-up...just kick start the action...if this goes right, do one every two years like bond...plus all these raid similarities...who cares...they could set this anywhere...and some creep's gonna whine and say it's like 'this' or 'that'...I just hope Armand Assante isn't in it....

Post #: 50
Spoiler? - 22/6/2012 7:05:54 PM   
James Lomas

I hope that's not Dredd throwing Lena Headey out of a window at the end of the trailer. I know the ad men love throwing spoilers into trailers now, but surely the death of the main antagonist is a bit much.

Post #: 51
RE: Dredd - 22/6/2012 7:09:44 PM   
chris kilby

I've got wood. Eastwood.

(And so has Urban by the sound of it - ZARJAZ!)

Post #: 52
RE: RE: - 22/6/2012 7:12:15 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Filmfan 2

So this all takes place in a high-rise?

God, I hope this doesn't turn out to be like The Raid!

I was thinking more Robocop meets Die Hard.

(I'd buy that for a dollar!)

(in reply to Filmfan 2)
Post #: 53
RE: - 22/6/2012 7:21:56 PM   
Dannybohy

so they just ripped off The Raid!. Which is already superior going on that trailer!.....Judge Deadduck ..

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

Post #: 54
RE: - 22/6/2012 7:22:32 PM   
Dannybohy

So they just ripped off The Raid plot!!...wow..well done. Judge Deadduck

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

Post #: 55
Mega City - 22/6/2012 7:22:44 PM   
logan 5

I think from the trailer the city looks to be the problem the whole premises of Mega city 1 is that although it is a sprawling metropolis it is hopelessly over crowded and in order to achieve that you need to introduce a certain level of claustrophobia to get that effect and this city looks too open to give that feel couple that with the fact that it looks too recent and not far enough into the future and it does'nt look like it is going to work...hope i am wrong though...

Post #: 56
- 23/6/2012 9:40:45 AM   
hellboyx

What happened to film fans? seriously people Dredd has been in development since 2008 how can it have ripped off the Raid which started shooting in 2011? and another thing that bothers me, how comes the raid did pretty poor at the box office for such a great film, yet everyone knows its plot? is piracy on this film the biggest ever? or are you all saying it looks like the raid without actually watching the Raid just to appear cool?

Post #: 57
bloop bloop - 23/6/2012 12:33:35 PM   
bluewalkie

the only way u can film judge dredd is with violence. and a lot of it. it's never going to work. sounded a bit psycho there, but that's 2000ad

Post #: 58
RE: bloop bloop - 23/6/2012 1:06:01 PM   
JOE SOAP

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/04/11/dredd-3d-sequel-comic-teased

< Message edited by JOE SOAP -- 15/4/2013 2:47:38 PM >

(in reply to bluewalkie)
Post #: 59
RE: bloop bloop - 23/6/2012 1:06:16 PM   
JOE SOAP

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/04/11/dredd-3d-sequel-comic-teased

< Message edited by JOE SOAP -- 15/4/2013 2:47:49 PM >

(in reply to bluewalkie)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Dredd Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI