Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Empire review is wrong, for the people, by the people etc....

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Empire review is wrong, for the people, by the people etc.... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Empire review is wrong, for the people, by the people e... - 1/7/2012 1:00:27 AM   
markdavies

Oh Dear, Dan Jolin did you get this review wrong! My immediate reaction following watching this glorious slice of alternative history was that it was fucking insane! If Will Johnson and Abe battling the undead on the top of a train as it speeds towards Gettysburg can`t get you excited, then you`re one of the undead! As for the 3D, I`ve not seen a film more perfectly suited to the format, since how to train your dragon. Weight on the bridge of your nose? Very poor, just very poor. I loved this film, and if you understand the cinematic joy of sheer mental experimental concept just go with it because it`s not meant to be Citizen Kanebollocks.

< Message edited by markdavies -- 1/7/2012 11:05:17 AM >

He made me look ridiculous,
And a man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 31
RE: I don't think I've ever been so bored at the cinema - 17/10/2012 10:15:51 PM   
Phubbs

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Its all things Abe at the moment as we've just had this flick and we've now got the upcoming biopic epic. Not to mention the Abe fetish that this has kick started with other low budget horror flicks where Abe fights the undead. When do we seen George Washington kicking werewolf ass?.

Tongue firmly in cheek here as we basically get a loose life story of Abe Lincoln but with clever tinkering. I must admit I do like how historical fact has been perverted with vampires, the way the writers have taken real historical events and twisted them to include vampire lore. Its not original of course but I do like this kind of thing, it makes it much more interesting, making you wish it was real history.

As a vampire flick this really is nothing much more than another 'Underworld' or 'Blade' simply set in the 18th century. The film is based on a book and has all the visual flare, editing, action, angles of your typical graphic novel/comicbook adaptation. This is totally fine as its exactly what you expect and nothing more, with a title like this you know to sit back and enjoy the ride.

Don't expect anything different from what you've seen before though. Although the action is swish, fast and actually pretty impressive with lots of twirling axe wielding slaughter its just the same as all the other vampire/werewolf action flicks we've seen. Add lots of slow motion into the fray and its all very familiar, highly unoriginal but highly enjoyable as it looks good. The main reason for the films saviour is merely the period setting which adds that nice dark gothic moonlit glow, plenty of opportunities for slick comicbook angles with dashing heroic lighting.

The main problem for me with this film is the fact you have part of a biopic and part of a vampire film. The director clearly must show both but has troubles keeping it together, the balance is there but it doesn't quite work at times due to historical fact. I do like how they incorporated vampire myth into Abe's civil war issues but at times your left thinking that it doesn't quite fit together...even though its complete fantasy.

The other issue I had, albeit small, was the fact that Abe seems to be almost super human himself. Slicing trees down with one stroke, leaping around like a Jedi knight and having a full grown horse thrown on him yet he lives without injury?. Suspension of disbelief being stretched there somewhat even though its a vampire film. I hasten to add that was it much of a surprise that Abe would be made out to be some kind of American superhero against slavery and fighting alongside a black man? pretty much your 18th century Captain America.

I did enjoy this film, I did enjoy Walker in the lead who does look like a young Liam Neeson with his prosthetics on. Its complete graphic novel type fluff full of cliches...hordes of faceless vampire fodder, the obligatory sexy baddie female vamp, tonnes of CGI, tonnes of slow mo, a token black hero and lots of implausible sequences where Abe gets himself out of trouble.

BUT as a fun goth vampire flick I quite enjoyed it, along the same lines as 'Priest' with Sewell playing the snarling bad guy to a tee. The train sequence finale is absolutely absurd and lets the film down but I like how the character of 'Henry' carries on through time. Lets not get too carried away with taking real historical figures and having them monster mash, quit for now while the idea is on a high.

(in reply to flit88)
Post #: 32
RE: Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter - 11/6/2013 10:04:51 AM   
MuckyMuckMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

A surprisingly successful mixture of historical biopic and action/horror a la Blade and far better than its reception may lead you to believe. The action ranges from mediocre to genuinely original [a fight in a horse stampede] and there is sadly some very poor CGI which lets the side down somewhat, but overall this is big, dumb fun handled with tremendous style and certainly kept me entertained throughout.

7.5/10

Totally agree, just watched this from Lovefilm and went into it thinking this could be absolutely terrible BUT oh boy how I enjoyed this no brainer action movie. I didn't think the CGI was all that bad (in fact I thought it was better than The Hobbit) and yes there were a few continuity errors but it didn't seem to bother me in the slightest. Guilty pleasure?.......you betcha!

My Film Collection:
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/MuckyMuckMan
Last 5 films seen
The Impossible 3.5/5
Stoker 4/5
Thor: Dark World 3.5/5
The Wolfman (1941) 4/5
All is Lost 5/5

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 33
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Empire review is wrong, for the people, by the people etc.... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI