Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Transferring iTunes libraries

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> Transferring iTunes libraries Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Transferring iTunes libraries - 20/6/2012 12:04:21 PM   
jcthefirst

So, I'm looking to transfer stuff from my iTunes on my parents computer to my current laptop. Obviously stuff I've imported from CD's is easy enough, but I'm wondering about purchases from the iTunes Store and digital copies of films.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, even if it's a 'no, not possible' at which point I will curse Apple to the skies.

My techie friend has dropped DRM, but I don't know what that means.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog
Post #: 1
RE: Transferring iTunes libraries - 20/6/2012 12:20:53 PM   
elab49

I'm not sure it's relevant - you can authorise several PCs to play your Itunes purchases (5 I think?) so that would be covered.

This may sound kind of simplistic but is it not a case of backing up your Itunes library and then importing it to the other computer and then authorising it? I didn't do a backup proper for mine but I had transferred it to external memory so when my laptop crashed I just imported those files to Itunes on my new laptop and authorised and it works.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 2
RE: Transferring iTunes libraries - 20/6/2012 3:51:56 PM   
Chief Wiggum

If your friend has dropped the DRM you should be fine, DRM is copyright protection, songs bought from the iTunes store comes with it to prevent copying.

as the DRM has been stripped away, the way I'd do it would be over the network

Share your music folder (c:\users\username\my music) with the network and allow full control

on your parents computer map this new share as a network drive and drag the library to this drive.

make a cup of tea and wait

remove the share from the folder, open up itunes on your laptop and add the my music folder to the itunes library.

The other option would be to get an external HDD - copy the files to that, then copy them to the laptop. (there is a way to take them straight off an Ipod, but I forget how it's done)

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 3
RE: Transferring iTunes libraries - 20/6/2012 4:03:49 PM   
elab49

You just need to hook it up now and it'll copy the library across - again it's just a case of going into options and authorising the computer to play them (it'll ask you for your password to do it).

It's only an option if you can get everything on your Ipod though. Mind you, I'm probably at a disadvantage as I've never bothered upgrading my old Ipod mini.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 20/6/2012 4:04:30 PM >

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Chief Wiggum)
Post #: 4
RE: Transferring iTunes libraries - 20/6/2012 10:25:00 PM   
jcthefirst

Cheers folks. Will try once I get to my parents house.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> Transferring iTunes libraries Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI