Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Monsters University - 20/6/2012 10:13:24 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: Monsters University - 21/6/2012 11:59:53 PM   
fuzzy

It'll probably be great, enjoyed the original. But is it just me, or is that a really bad title? Doesn't exactly trip off the tongue does it?

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Monsters University - 22/6/2012 1:10:46 AM   
rich

Seriously Pixar?

Meanwhile...

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 3
RE: Monsters University - 22/6/2012 1:14:13 AM   
Lazarus munkey

quote:

ORIGINAL: fuzzy

It'll probably be great, enjoyed the original. But is it just me, or is that a really bad title? Doesn't exactly trip off the tongue does it?

It's sooo not you, the title is awful.

"Because I got the answers"

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
The Amazing Spider-Man 3/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 4
RE: Monsters University - 19/2/2013 3:22:42 PM   
Mr Gittes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lazarus munkey

quote:

ORIGINAL: fuzzy

It's sooo not you, the title is awful.

I hope like hell that I'm proven wrong but, in the wise words of Han Solo, I've got a bad feeling about this.

(in reply to Lazarus munkey)
Post #: 5
RE: Monsters University - 24/2/2013 1:57:57 AM   
england_cmr

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's not 100% here for this. Monsters. Inc barely screams sequel, let alone prequel. And I'm sure the 'Best friends were once enemies' storylines is one of the most cliched in the history of the world? I jsut would love a new original Pixar film. It feels like ages since we had one. Yes Toy Story 3 was fantastic, but Cars 2 was just hoplessly awful couldn't have been less 'Pixar' if it tried. Is there actually a reason why Pixar are suddenly doing what seems like just sequels? This is an actual question,

If any Pixar film deserves a sequel its clearly The Incredibles. But even then, I would rather an original film. Ergh, I just love Pixar so much and they had 100% amazing film record up until Cars 2 - for me anyway, I know some people hated Cars but I liked it. It's just so very Dreamworks to bang out sequel after sequel. Oh well, hopefully this will suprise me and Cars 2 can just be considered a blip.

1) Inception
2) Wall - E
3) Beetlejuice
4) Big Fish
5) Terminator 2: Judgement Day
6) Spirited Away
666) Battleship

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 6
RE: Monsters University - 24/2/2013 1:58:23 AM   
england_cmr

Oh and I agree the title is awful

1) Inception
2) Wall - E
3) Beetlejuice
4) Big Fish
5) Terminator 2: Judgement Day
6) Spirited Away
666) Battleship

(in reply to england_cmr)
Post #: 7
RE: Monsters University - 24/2/2013 3:39:05 PM   
Mr Gittes

quote:

ORIGINAL: england_cmr

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's not 100% here for this. Monsters. Inc barely screams sequel, let alone prequel. And I'm sure the 'Best friends were once enemies' storylines is one of the most cliched in the history of the world? I jsut would love a new original Pixar film. It feels like ages since we had one. Yes Toy Story 3 was fantastic, but Cars 2 was just hoplessly awful couldn't have been less 'Pixar' if it tried. Is there actually a reason why Pixar are suddenly doing what seems like just sequels? This is an actual question,

If any Pixar film deserves a sequel its clearly The Incredibles. But even then, I would rather an original film. Ergh, I just love Pixar so much and they had 100% amazing film record up until Cars 2 - for me anyway, I know some people hated Cars but I liked it. It's just so very Dreamworks to bang out sequel after sequel. Oh well, hopefully this will suprise me and Cars 2 can just be considered a blip.

I agree 100% with everything you've said there. Well, except for Cars 2 because I've not seen it, but from what I've heard about it, I wouldn't mind keeping it that way. I was underwhelmed by Brave, though. Not to say it was bad but it sure didn't feel like Pixar to me. I mean, at least Cars still had that feel to it.

I couldn't agree more with your thoughts on an Incredibles sequel. Out of all of them, that's definitely the movie that deserves one. After all, like no other genre, superhero movies tend to have a lot of great sequels; Superman II, Spider-Man 2, X2, The Dark Knight etc. If they got Brad Bird working on a sequel, I'd like to think it would be even better than the first.

Other than that, I'm not that interested in sequels to any of their flicks. Like you said, I'd rather they come up with something new (remember how wonderfully weird and out-of-nowhere Up was?) and as for Pixar's current status, some have said that it's possible that their golden years are behind them now.

However, I'm gonna look at it like this...a certain rule I have in determining if someone is a great director is if they make at least three great movies; because one could be a flash in the pan, two could be a coincidence then three determines a pattern. For example, I'm dying to be able to call Bryan Singer a great director but, in my opinion, so far he's only made two great movies - The Usual Suspects and X-Men 2. Hopefully, Days Of Future Past will be great and my personal little rule won't stand in the way of me calling him a great director.

Anyway, if I reverse this rule and apply it to blips in someone's - in this case, a studio's - body of work, then with Pixar we have Cars 2 (apparently, anyway) and Brave. If my fear becomes a reality with Monsters University, then Pixar will have a hit a definite slump in their output. Until then, I can only cross my fingers.

(in reply to england_cmr)
Post #: 8
RE: Monsters University - 24/2/2013 3:50:34 PM   
musht

All these sequels reek of Disney trying to sell merchandise.

I'm looking forward to Monsters University but I don't know how Finding Nemo 2 will work

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 9
RE: Monsters University - 24/2/2013 4:36:10 PM   
Mr Gittes

I'd be lying if I said I didn't think the same. Again, though, I hope I'm proven wrong.

I don't how to feel about MU and I don't know how a Finding Nemo sequel would work.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 10
RE: Monsters University - 26/2/2013 9:42:27 AM   
Chief

This looks shit, and that's coming from somebody who liked Brave and didn't mind Cars 2. They should have left Monsters Inc. alone.

How long before Pixar movies become straight to DVD kids shelf fodder? Just like Disney's other movies, Jungle Book 3, Lion King: Timon & Pumba's whatever....

Post #: 11
RE: Monsters University - 27/2/2013 1:06:34 PM   
IsotopeBill

I'm with Musht, happy to look forward to Monster's University but Finding Nemo 2 seems a bit weird. Always open to be surprised though!

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 12
RE: Monsters University - 19/6/2013 1:25:50 PM   
Whistler

I am looking forward to it, but I have to say, none of the trailers have made me laugh even a little. Hope they're just saving the best.

(in reply to IsotopeBill)
Post #: 13
RE: Monsters University - 19/6/2013 1:30:25 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

I am looking forward to it, but I have to say, none of the trailers have made me laugh even a little. Hope they're just saving the best.

Unfortunately from most recent trailers I would say that its no longer the case.
If Monster's University had a genuine funny moment then I would arguably say Pixar/Disney would advertise the hell out of it, in trailers or otherwise.

But I never got the sense behind this concept,well except the dollar signs.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 14
RE: Monsters University - 24/6/2013 10:40:49 AM   
Scruffybobby

Saw it yesterday. Thought it was great, plenty of heart and it is very funny. The supporting short film is gorgeous as well

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 15
RE: Monsters University - 25/6/2013 10:44:38 AM   
jobloffski

Shouldn't it have been called Monsters In College (see what I did there, etc)?

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 16
RE: Monsters University - 25/6/2013 11:15:51 AM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: jobloffski

Shouldn't it have been called Monsters In College (see what I did there, etc)?

Very good, the people at Pixar must be kicking themselves

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 17
More Pre-School than University - 28/6/2013 12:08:53 PM   
J_BUltimatum

Was OK... but think they took away a lot of the focus on characters (which I loved about the first film) and didn't really focus at all on University, there just happened to be a University there. Would love to have seen more of Randall (or Randy has he gets credited as). In all it will no doubt do well at the box office but definitely one of Pixar's lesser films.

Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> Monsters University Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI