Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Don't read the review of Five Year Engagement

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> Don't read the review of Five Year Engagement Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Don't read the review of Five Year Engagement - 20/6/2012 4:40:37 AM   
Evil_Bob

Or at least skip the last few lines of the main body. It contains a mighty spoiler and hasn't been changed despite every comment on the forum for it being a complaint

How dare you call me inhumane. Right you fucker. I'm going to do the washing up.

Post #: 1
RE: Don't read the review of Five Year Engagement - 20/6/2012 7:30:37 AM   
rawlinson

I just read the review and the spoiler everyone is complaining about. How do you know that the spoiler in question doesn't happen halfway through the film? To me it sounds as if it's using the word inevitable not so much because of anything in this film, but because it's the kind of scene that happens a lot in romantic comedies.

(in reply to Evil_Bob)
Post #: 2
RE: Don't read the review of Five Year Engagement - 20/6/2012 9:28:19 AM   
elab49

Not a lot  - always. I'm sorry, but that's just not a spoiler. No matter the 4 stars, Apatow does exactly what these films always do - all the reviewer is suggesting is that by the time that cliched scene turns up the film does enough to make you care about the characters. Given it's Apatow, I'd guess he really means the actors do but what the heck.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 3
RE: Don't read the review of Five Year Engagement - 20/6/2012 9:46:32 AM   
rawlinson

Yeah, that's exactly how I read it. If you've seen any romantic comedies, you know some variation of this scene is going to happen, here it actually works.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4
RE: Don't read the review of Five Year Engagement - 20/6/2012 1:11:18 PM   
Evil_Bob

Hey you're right I forgot that to exist these days one has to be equipped with amazing insight into films that one hasn't seen just like you guys have.
It was clearly foolish of myself and all the other pissed off individuals to get so worked up by it and to take it so far as to post on a forum about it.
In between reading your posts and posting this myself I have just quit my job and have enlisted in the peace corp.
I'm shipping out tomorrow to Sudan where I'm going to teach poor children how to build houses for themselves.
Why?
Because life's too fucking short and your putting things into perspective has made me realise that.
Farewell, or as they say in Sudan: توديع

How dare you call me inhumane. Right you fucker. I'm going to do the washing up.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 5
RE: Don't read the review of Five Year Engagement - 20/6/2012 1:18:22 PM   
elab49

In the immortal words of Charlie Brown...

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Evil_Bob)
Post #: 6
RE: Don't read the review of Five Year Engagement - 20/6/2012 1:38:46 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Evil_Bob

Hey you're right I forgot that to exist these days one has to be equipped with amazing insight into films that one hasn't seen just like you guys have.
It was clearly foolish of myself and all the other pissed off individuals to get so worked up by it and to take it so far as to post on a forum about it.
In between reading your posts and posting this myself I have just quit my job and have enlisted in the peace corp.
I'm shipping out tomorrow to Sudan where I'm going to teach poor children how to build houses for themselves.
Why?
Because life's too fucking short and your putting things into perspective has made me realise that.
Farewell, or as they say in Sudan: توديع

mmmm...

Couple of points.

quote:

Let's start with this one. Well, no. Nobody said that to exist you have to have insight into films you haven't seen. That's really just you creating a bit of a straw man argument there. See, what really happened was this.

You posted this.

quote:

Or at least skip the last few lines of the main body. It contains a mighty spoiler and hasn't been changed despite every comment on the forum for it being a complaint

And in response, you got this.

quote:

I just read the review and the spoiler everyone is complaining about. How do you know that the spoiler in question doesn't happen halfway through the film? To me it sounds as if it's using the word inevitable not so much because of anything in this film, but because it's the kind of scene that happens a lot in romantic comedies.

Now let's look at that. You made a post claiming that Empire had posted a big spoiler. I read that review and offered an alternate view point, which is that is seemed to be referring to a recurring theme in romantic comedies.

quote:

What do you think is the purpose of posting to an online forum? Because I take my lead from the fact that it's a forum. A place for swapping opinions. So when you posted about there being a spoiler, I questioned how you knew it was a spoiler for the end of film, and not a common scene that often crops up mid-film. That's all that was, questioning how you could be so sure. Nobody said you were foolish, nobody questioned your motivation for posting about it. It was simply pointed out that it may not be the spoiler to end all spoilers.

quote:

What are you going to do when you're in the peace corp and someone offers an opinion that differs from your own?

quote:

That's a very worthwhile life goal. I applaud you.

quote:

Now, again, this seems to suggest someone posted something like "Stop whining about it, life's too fucking short, it's just a review." Nobody did that. You got a couple of posts that pointed out your interpretation might be wrong and they explained why. Speaking for myself, if I posted a thread indicating I was concerned about a spoiler in a review, and two people suggested that it might not be as big a spoiler as I feared, I'd be grateful someone had taken the time to point that out.

(in reply to Evil_Bob)
Post #: 7
RE: Don't read the review of Five Year Engagement - 20/6/2012 11:37:11 PM   
Evil_Bob

I was going to do a similar reply to yours (ie pointlessly going through your post line by line with non-rebuttal for each line)
and I had it more or less drafted in my head but then I realised that your opinion means nothing to me Rawlinson.

I didn't come here to have a debate about whether or not what was said in the review was a spoiler or not.
I came here to make a complaint about the actual review because this forum is the place where points about the online site are to be made.
I even looked in the rules section just to make sure that I wouldn't be stepping on any toes by putting it in the wrong place.
I also hoped to potentially warn other people off who didn't want to have things ruined for them.

And your "alternate viewpoint"? how can you have an alternate viewpoint to a movie that you havn't seen. You can't alter your preconceptions like that especially when you've been told explicitly that THIS IS SOMETHING THAT HAPPENS IN THE FILM. There is no alternate viewpoint. A crucial detail has been revealed. Nothing short of actually rewriting and reshooting the movie is going to change that and the fact that I'm far from the only person to complain about this would indicate that it was a mistake to do so.
Where it takes place in a movie is irrelvant and the fact that rom/coms tend to have a standard formula is irrelevant too.

So like I said Rawlinson your opinion matters not a bit to me because you are but another random punter that uses this site. like myself.

elab49 on the other hand is the equivalent of a manager in a shop who says "you don't like it? tough" when you walk in with a legitimate concern.
You may not work for Empire but being a moderator on these forums you do represent them to a certain degree so antagonising and exacerbating people's outrage makes the magazine look bad.

Acknowledge and apologise. If you can't do any of those things then say nothing.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 8
RE: Don't read the review of Five Year Engagement - 20/6/2012 11:50:26 PM   
elab49

I read the full synopsis of the film. It didn't bother me as I was never going to see it unless it turned up on TV and I was bored. It was an attempt at reassurance that the end of the review didn't mean the end of the film. Your response was that rather absurd post of yours above.

If anything, I think your post would mislead people into thinking part of the review implies something it actually doesn't, which is a bit of an interesting conundrum really when you think about it.

quote:

(in reply to Evil_Bob)
Post #: 9
RE: Don't read the review of Five Year Engagement - 20/6/2012 11:55:42 PM   
Evil_Bob

My response was absurd but it was a means of taking out my ire out in the manner of a hyperbolic absurdist rant directed insultingly at no one.
As opposed to my original knee-jerk reaction which was more expletive filled and more insulting.

It might mislead people into thinking there's something there that isn't (if that is the case) but it might also stop people reading the review full stop and will therefore stop those people from entering this conundrum that we have found ourselves in.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 10
RE: Don't read the review of Five Year Engagement - 21/6/2012 10:15:02 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

and I had it more or less drafted in my head but then I realised that your opinion means nothing to me Rawlinson.

It obviously does or you wouldn't have posted two responses.

quote:

I came here to make a complaint about the actual review because this forum is the place where points about the online site are to be made.

And if your complaint is groundless?

quote:

I also hoped to potentially warn other people off who didn't want to have things ruined for them.

Here's where I'm confused, if you really were just trying to warn people, then why isn't an alternate perspective on the review welcomed? Why did the toys get hurled from the pram the moment you were told you might be misinterpreting the review and that it might not be a huge spoiler? I mean if this was an altruistic act on your part, surely the fact that other people might be safe to read the review would be something you'd be happy about? You sure you didn't just work yourself up into a rage, and are now a bit upset because that rage might not have been worth it, and you're just in a shoot the messenger frame of mind?

quote:

And your "alternate viewpoint"? how can you have an alternate viewpoint to a movie that you havn't seen.

How can you have a viewpoint on a movie you haven't seen?

quote:

You can't alter your preconceptions like that especially when you've been told explicitly that THIS IS SOMETHING THAT HAPPENS IN THE FILM.

All reviews tell you about something that happens in the film. You're just assuming this is a major spoiler.

quote:

There is no alternate viewpoint. A crucial detail has been revealed.

You don't know if it's crucial.

quote:

. Nothing short of actually rewriting and reshooting the movie is going to change that and the fact that I'm far from the only person to complain about this would indicate that it was a mistake to do so.

You mean all the people assuming that the end of the film was spoiled? Because that's stated several times in the review thread "WHYHAVEYOUSPOILEDTHEENDOFTHEFILM!!!!!

quote:

Where it takes place in a movie is irrelvant and the fact that rom/coms tend to have a standard formula is irrelevant too.

Actually it's completely relevant. If you read a review of Groundhog Day that points out Phil gets caught in a time loop, would you complain? I mean it could go either way, he could be caught in it at the beginning of the film, and that's what drives the plot, or it could be a surprise where you only find out what's happening as part of a plot twist. You don't know until you've actually seen the film for yourself. Same goes for this film. The alleged spoiler is something that could drive much of the plot, not something that ruins the film. The spoiler could happen twenty minutes in. All reviews reveal something of a film. If you don't want any details at all revealed, don't read reviews before you see the film.

quote:

So like I said Rawlinson your opinion matters not a bit to me because you are but another random punter that uses this site. like myself.

And as such, I have every right to reply to anyone I choose, on any thread I choose. It's not my fault you don't like having your anger questioned.

quote:

elab49 on the other hand is the equivalent of a manager in a shop who says "you don't like it? tough" when you walk in with a legitimate concern.
You may not work for Empire but being a moderator on these forums you do represent them to a certain degree so antagonising and exacerbating people's outrage makes the magazine look bad.

I see nothing at all antagonising in her posts. Or in my posts for that matter. In fact, if you really feel you have something to complain about, go back to the original posts, before you started talking about the peace corps, and point out something antagonistic in any of the posts. Not someone offering a different interpretation to you, something that actually was antagonistic.

quote:

Acknowledge and apologise. If you can't do any of those things then say nothing.

Acknowledge and apologise for what? For having a different interpretation of the review to you? You could always just step back, reread the initial posts, and realise that nobody has anything to apologise for. A forum means debate, whether you like that or not. If you want to be able to post something without the risk of anyone thinking you're wrong, start a blog and close off the comments.

quote:

My response was absurd but it was a means of taking out my ire out in the manner of a hyperbolic absurdist rant directed insultingly at no one.

So who were you addressing it to then? Because you said things like "your" meaning somebody had done something to get that response from you. If you weren't directing it at anyone, why bother with that?

quote:

It might mislead people into thinking there's something there that isn't (if that is the case) but it might also stop people reading the review full stop and will therefore stop those people from entering this conundrum that we have found ourselves in.

So if that line in the review is in fact referring to a scene mid-film, and in no way a major plot spoiler, will you then apologise to all those you misled with this thread?

(in reply to Evil_Bob)
Post #: 11
RE: Don't read the review of Five Year Engagement - 21/6/2012 11:49:18 AM   
Evil_Bob

Wow thats a lot of time on your hands you have there.
TL: DR

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 12
RE: Don't read the review of Five Year Engagement - 21/6/2012 11:52:54 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

Wow thats a lot of time on your hands you have there.
TL: DR

When I see an unpleasant rant I like to make sure I've pulled it apart in detail.

(in reply to Evil_Bob)
Post #: 13
RE: Don't read the review of Five Year Engagement - 21/6/2012 12:01:11 PM   
Evil_Bob

For the benefit of who though? I honest to god didn't read the last one.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 14
RE: Don't read the review of Five Year Engagement - 21/6/2012 12:03:15 PM   
rawlinson

Course you didn't.

(in reply to Evil_Bob)
Post #: 15
RE: Don't read the review of Five Year Engagement - 21/6/2012 12:04:36 PM   
Evil_Bob

I read the first two bits then scrolled down, saw how long it is and said Fuck that!
Honestly, if the tables were turned, would YOU have read it?

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 16
RE: Don't read the review of Five Year Engagement - 21/6/2012 12:07:01 PM   
rawlinson

I always read what other people have to say to me. But then I don't lash out at people for the crime of disagreeing with my interpretation of a film review.

(in reply to Evil_Bob)
Post #: 17
RE: Don't read the review of Five Year Engagement - 21/6/2012 12:15:22 PM   
Evil_Bob

Neither did I. I went on some kind of surreal rant so that I didn't insult either of you.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 18
RE: Don't read the review of Five Year Engagement - 21/6/2012 12:18:18 PM   
rawlinson

And what was the point of that? Neither one of us said anything insulting to you. Both of us addressed your concerns about the film and pointed out that you might be misreading the review. There was nothing there that required a rant of any kind.

(in reply to Evil_Bob)
Post #: 19
RE: Don't read the review of Five Year Engagement - 21/6/2012 12:30:07 PM   
Evil_Bob

The point was that what you said was dismissive as it implied that I (and all the others on the review forum) had misread it.
This wasn't a fact as nobody had yet seen the film and the reviewer hadn't dipped in to explain what he meant so the condescending attitude pissed me off.
But instead of getting ragey I channelled it in a more interesting (for me) and arguably more childish way.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 20
RE: Don't read the review of Five Year Engagement - 21/6/2012 12:40:28 PM   
rawlinson

No, there was absolutely nothing dismissive in my post. I asked a legit question. How can you know it's a major spoiler? I then pointed out an alternate reading of that line. I even said that it was the way the line read to me. Not that it was a fact, but that's how I interpreted it. That's not dismissive. Dismissive would have been to say "You're a fucking idiot, of course it's not a spoiler." I questioned how you can be so sure. You're saying that it's not a fact that it's not a major spoiler, yet you seem happy to take it as fact that it is a major spoiler,, based on nothing more than your own reading of that line. If you're going to make an assumption and post that assumption to a forum, you need to be prepared to have your assumption questioned. Being questioned on a post is not the same as having your post dismissed, nor does it mean the questioning post is condescending.

(in reply to Evil_Bob)
Post #: 21
RE: Don't read the review of Five Year Engagement - 21/6/2012 12:51:35 PM   
Evil_Bob

Right fair enough. We can't know its a major spoiler. But it is a spoiler.
And I'll retract what I said about BEING dismissive and condescending. I'll take your word for it that you didn't mean it that way but with an alternate viewpoint I read it as such so thats how that all happened.
Anyway this forum isn't for debating the meaning of the line. Its for making comments on the online comment and I started this thread to draw awareness to it that people might be pissed off if they read that review as many of us already have been or even to draw the mags attention to the fact that they might want to change it. Clearly they're not going to so whatever.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 22
RE: Don't read the review of Five Year Engagement - 21/6/2012 7:59:18 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Are you guys going to have an evening performance too? Cos I'll get the popcorn if you are.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Evil_Bob)
Post #: 23
RE: Don't read the review of Five Year Engagement - 21/6/2012 8:20:48 PM   
rawlinson

I was thinking of posting what actually does happen at the end of the film here, just to give people a legit reason to complain. That count?

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 24
RE: Don't read the review of Five Year Engagement - 21/6/2012 11:44:13 PM   
Evil_Bob

I was planning to transcend space and time.
Well actually just space. Not time.
No wait, I have no idea what I'm talking about.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> Don't read the review of Five Year Engagement Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI