Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: There's only one Ashley Cole..

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 24/6/2012 6:47:55 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: JJ Holiday

The mainstream English media is terrible. And at times are quite deluded. But having lived in Scotland they are not nearly as bad as the blind nonsense spouted by the Scottish media.

The general critique seems to stem from a sense of misplaced optimism but that is rife in any country, including Scotland. I mean they actually think that they can qualify for a major tournament. Plenty of Scottish people complain about the amount of references to '1966', but I can assure you that these references pale in comparison to the amount of times the Archie Gemmil goal is shown/mentioned. I lived there for 3 years and after constant exposure to it, it is burned into my mind.

I often sometimes bark at people during conversation that "James McFadden is one of the best players in Europe" or that "Kris Boyd is one of the top finishers in European football". I was basically indoctrinated.

These three paragraphs have just put an enormous smile on my face.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to JJ Holiday)
Post #: 91
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 24/6/2012 6:48:41 PM   
Rhubarb

If Cole has a uncharacteristically bad game tonight, I think we have to hold this thread responsible.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to JJ Holiday)
Post #: 92
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 24/6/2012 6:59:32 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: big dawg

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

LOL. Will there really be anyone flying the Murray banner apart from Sue Barker?

Me!!! He's Scottish after all, and we like to support our own

RE: Michael Gray...isn't he the second best English Left Back over the past 10-15 years?

No, he's a Sad Mackem Bastard

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 93
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 24/6/2012 6:59:46 PM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saltire

quote:

quote:

quote:

From who?

Take your pick, all the TV and Radio based media have been spouting this nonsense since you qualified from the Group as winners.

So you've been reading tabloids and listening to Talksport and that's what you're basing these assumptions on?

Which is the media isn't it, SSN is the same, MOTD and ITV are the same, SportsTonight is the same, they all have idiots on there that know they'll go all the way. I agree that a lot of the fans don't listen to those opinions and agree with them, but the media have overhyped it once more, like they do every tourney England are involved in.

It's not the whole media, it doesn't represent everyone, most of them are clueless bores anyway, and as horribleives just said, most of them haven't been saying that.

Anyway carry on with your bitter moans about the English!

Its the broadcastable media, and don't get me started on the tabloids...

Also I am not anti-English, I like to see them do well in other sports like tennis (which I follow a lot), golf, f1 etc. I also have an English girlfriend so am not a bigot. Its just the furore that surrounds the football team from the press is diabolical.

After I posted this, I went back to my home page where I found this - another case in point.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18568571

< Message edited by Saltire -- 24/6/2012 7:03:36 PM >

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 94
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 24/6/2012 7:21:15 PM   
Rinc

quote:

So? Still doesn't make it all the media and all the fans.

At the moment the only people who seem to be saying we might win it are ex-footballers, most of whom are idiots anyway.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 95
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 24/6/2012 7:57:14 PM   
big dawg

Ex footballers and Talksport presenters

I can believe things that are true and I can believe things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not

Gamertag - SqualorVic

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 96
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 24/6/2012 11:05:35 PM   
matty_b

Couldn't have done that against Bayern Munich, could he?

The irony of this thread is now amazing.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 97
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 24/6/2012 11:08:22 PM   
BigBadWolf

I never did like him...at least I have dual nationality to fall back on. Bring on Germany

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 98
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 24/6/2012 11:14:07 PM   
horribleives

We should have known after what he did to Our Cheryl that he'd let us down big time.

(in reply to BigBadWolf)
Post #: 99
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 25/6/2012 12:09:05 AM   
boaby

I now heartily endorse this thread.

Perhaps the winning of the Not Quite Champions League convinced karma that quite enough p!ss had been taken.

< Message edited by boaby -- 25/6/2012 12:10:22 AM >

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 100
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 25/6/2012 1:25:57 AM   
Saltire

quote:

quote:

So? Still doesn't make it all the media and all the fans.

At the moment the only people who seem to be saying we might win it are ex-footballers, most of whom are idiots anyway.

I didnt say it does make it all the media but there was a high enough percentage of the people who were on these channels and radio that said this was going to be Englands year, that they'd be able to win like Chelsea did. You'd also think the ex-footballers would know better also.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 101
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 25/6/2012 1:27:48 AM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: boaby

I now heartily endorse this thread.

Perhaps the winning of the Not Quite Champions League convinced karma that quite enough p!ss had been taken.

The rest of us can now enjoy whats left of the tourney and let the idiots who predicted success, now eat their words as they dissect that 'performance' last night.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 102
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 25/6/2012 10:55:36 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

I didnt say it does make it all the media but there was a high enough percentage of the people who were on these channels and radio that said this was going to be Englands year, that they'd be able to win like Chelsea did. You'd also think the ex-footballers would know better also.

I think you hear what you want to hear.
I heard that after Chelsea, who knows it could be Englands year, which was said purely tongue in cheek and is quite a back handed compliment ie we're shit but who knows if we defend well.
Of course people like Darren Bent are going to say England will win it, they are team mates and potentially would be part of the squad if fit. and I think TalkSport pundits have already been covered on here.
Sir Bobby saying "if they beat Italy then we will start getting excited. I get a little feeling that if we can get past Italy,we will win it" is the best you can come up with?

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 103
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 26/6/2012 12:09:59 AM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

quote:

I think you hear what you want to hear.
I heard that after Chelsea, who knows it could be Englands year, which was said purely tongue in cheek and is quite a back handed compliment ie we're shit but who knows if we defend well.
Of course people like Darren Bent are going to say England will win it, they are team mates and potentially would be part of the squad if fit. and I think TalkSport pundits have already been covered on here.
Sir Bobby saying "if they beat Italy then we will start getting excited. I get a little feeling that if we can get past Italy,we will win it" is the best you can come up with?

The headline itself didnt say that though did it? It said he backed England to win the tournament - big difference.

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 104
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 26/6/2012 11:59:40 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

So you have a problem with the headline writers now instead?
quote:

Your argument is getting increasingly thin.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 26/6/2012 12:01:19 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 105
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 26/6/2012 12:44:02 PM   
boaby

I thought the beeb, through Lineker, saying repreatedly that following the Ukraine game "all" England's games would be on the BBC was amusing.

Tyldesly is a muppet too: "Who was the last team to beat Spain? ENGLAND!" As if there was a high probability of the two meeting again in the near future.

It helped having Keane and Seedorf and Klinnsman to expose previous punditry for the crap it was.

I never pay any real attention to the English sporting media. I get most of my understanding on how confident or otherwise the English are about their team from forums and the snippets of build up on the telly I catch. This time round it has definitely been more "you never know, we could win it" than the swagger of previous tournaments.

Anyway, Cole...

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

Post #: 106
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 26/6/2012 1:35:53 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Loads of great players miss penalties - I seem to remember a certain Lionel Messi cocking up against Chelsea.

In terms of the punditry I think Klinnsman should be given a medal for his restraint and generally optimistic analysis of England at half time and just before extra time - he always was a great actor

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 107
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 26/6/2012 9:43:52 PM   
Rinc

quote:

The headline itself didnt say that though did it? It said he backed England to win the tournament - big difference.

You're basing your assumptions on headlines?

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 108
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 27/6/2012 12:45:44 AM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

So you have a problem with the headline writers now instead?
quote:

Your argument is getting increasingly thin.

Why so?

Post #: 109
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 27/6/2012 12:47:11 AM   
Saltire

quote:

quote:

Isnt that whats there to grab your attention before you read a piece?

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 110
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 27/6/2012 8:04:47 PM   
Rinc

quote:

quote:

quote:

You're definitely taking the piss now.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 111
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 28/6/2012 8:57:07 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You're definitely taking the piss now.

Yup headlines, and betting favourites in the country who are taking part are currently the benchmark for this outrage.

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 112
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 29/6/2012 6:06:14 PM   
Saltire

Need I say more?

Post #: 113
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 30/6/2012 2:30:41 PM   
superdan

^ Probably, because I don't get it

Also, I love how you offered absolutely no response to this:
quote:

The mainstream English media is terrible. And at times are quite deluded. But having lived in Scotland they are not nearly as bad as the blind nonsense spouted by the Scottish media.

The general critique seems to stem from a sense of misplaced optimism but that is rife in any country, including Scotland. I mean they actually think that they can qualify for a major tournament. Plenty of Scottish people complain about the amount of references to '1966', but I can assure you that these references pale in comparison to the amount of times the Archie Gemmil goal is shown/mentioned. I lived there for 3 years and after constant exposure to it, it is burned into my mind.

I often sometimes bark at people during conversation that "James McFadden is one of the best players in Europe" or that "Kris Boyd is one of the top finishers in European football". I was basically indoctrinated.

Back to Ashley Cole..... one of the best. No doubt about it.

(in reply to JJ Holiday)
Post #: 114
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 30/6/2012 3:30:15 PM   
horribleives

quote:

Need I say more?

I hope so 'cos it just looks like a picture of the badge to me.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 115
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 30/6/2012 3:43:04 PM   
boaby

Those are the campest lions ever. Camper even than Shere Khan.

The bottom one needs a speech bubble: "ooh, you are awful!"

Post #: 116
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 30/6/2012 3:49:01 PM   
horribleives

quote:

Ha, they are aren't they. Never noticed that before.
Still, at least they're not wearing skirts.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 117
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 30/6/2012 4:51:30 PM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

^ Probably, because I don't get it

Also, I love how you offered absolutely no response to this:
quote:

Back to Ashley Cole..... one of the best. No doubt about it.

The Archie Gemmill goal was one goal, admittedly a great one and a brilliant event for us in the history of our game, but it was only a goal, and certainly where I come from, no one bothers about it too much because we know it doesnt really mean anything. I dunno where that guy has been hanging out as well, as where I come from Faddy or Boyd certainly dont get held up in such high esteem. We have fallen short these last 12 years of trying to qualify for a tournament, but we have been close several times, finishing second and third in the group fairly often, so to suggest we CANT qualify for a tourney is just wrong, we aren't that far off doing so, we aint San Marino ffs!!

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 118
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 30/6/2012 4:55:45 PM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

Ha, they are aren't they. Never noticed that before.
Still, at least they're not wearing skirts.

Anytime I wear my 'skirt' the ladies love it no matter where I go A kilt is practical and its also pretty cool, something we Scots and many foreigners who comes to our shores, are proud to wear when given the chance. They are better than this outfit though :

Post #: 119
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 30/6/2012 5:19:53 PM   
superdan

Hmm, those lions do look a bit camp now you mention it. Not as camp as Morris dancers though. They are flaming.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI