Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: There's only one Ashley Cole..

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 23/6/2012 6:57:14 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

Thats the difference though, for us to get to a tournament would be a great achievement for us and we'd be happy with that. The way some of you guys carry on, you think England are Brazil and should be competing in semi finals and finals every tourney you get to because you have Wayne Rooney or Ashley Cole!!!

This really isn't true since SA though is it?

Isn't it? Now you've got through that group, your gonna beat Italy, Germany and Spain no problem, thats what I've been hearing.

News to me. If you know people who genuinely believe that England are going to beat all those teams then do me a favour and call them morons for me. The best England can hope for is maybe, with a liberal dose of luck, squeaking past Italy. After that we're barbecued anyway because Germany would destroy us.

Seriously, no-one I know has any delusions of England causing an upset in this tournament (beyond the one they've already caused by finishing top of the group).

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 61
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 23/6/2012 7:14:49 PM   
matty_b

It's amazing how these anti-England supporters have these thousands upon thousands of people saying to them that England are going to win the trophy and play like Brazil.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 62
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 23/6/2012 7:24:33 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

I will be for two reasons, the first isn't because we are 'bitter', its just we're fed up of the tripe that gets spouted about the England team after they beat a couple of average sides unconvincingly then they are then destined to 'do a Chelsea' and win the whole tourney. Then theres the fact that hardly anything else gets reported about when the sports news is on, even on the days when other teams are playing - its incredibly tiresome - no wonder the rest of us cant wait for them to get eliminated.

Yup not because you're bitter at all.

quote:

Isn't it? Now you've got through that group, your gonna beat Italy, Germany and Spain no problem, thats what I've been hearing.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 23/6/2012 7:31:27 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 63
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 23/6/2012 7:57:13 PM   
big dawg

well done Saltire, you've got them hook, line and sinker ....who was my fellow Scot who wound everyone up during, it must have been 2006 (I was on here under another username)....he was really good at winding you lot up

To be fair to Saltire, there has been a few murmurs that yous can go on and win it, Darren Bent being quite a high profile one I think...there's been certain people who have went from havng "no expectations of getting out the group" to "we can win this bloody thing!" very quickly. Not all of you, and probably not the majority of ordinary punters, but there has been a few. I listen to Talksport

I can believe things that are true and I can believe things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not

Gamertag - SqualorVic

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 64
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 23/6/2012 8:11:53 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: big dawg

well done Saltire, you've got them hook, line and sinker ....who was my fellow Scot who wound everyone up during, it must have been 2006 (I was on here under another username)....he was really good at winding you lot up

To be fair to Saltire, there has been a few murmurs that yous can go on and win it, Darren Bent being quite a high profile one I think...there's been certain people who have went from havng "no expectations of getting out the group" to "we can win this bloody thing!" very quickly. Not all of you, and probably not the majority of ordinary punters, but there has been a few. I listen to Talksport

As I said, trolling the English is all you guys have got left As for the 'murmurs', I think we're all in agreement that pundits and the media in general are blithering hysterical idiots who flip-flop from one extreme to the other. I watched One Night In Turin last night and it was striking to see how ridiculous the media were then and how so little has changed.

From my point of view, this has been one of the most enjoyable tournaments to watch for ages, because for the first time in as long as I can remember no-one has talked us up. I've just gone into each England game hoping to enjoy the match, and tomorrow will be the same but I won't be dejected if we lose (if anything, the idea of going out to Italy in the quarters is preferable to getting dicked by Fritz in the semis), it's just nice to have a team I feel I can get behind again. All we need now is for Terry to be binned off after the tournament and I'll feel quite contented

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 65
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 23/6/2012 8:24:25 PM   
big dawg

quote:

quote:

As I said, trolling the English is all you guys have got left As for the 'murmurs', I think we're all in agreement that pundits and the media in general are blithering hysterical idiots who flip-flop from one extreme to the other. I watched One Night In Turin last night and it was striking to see how ridiculous the media were then and how so little has changed.

From my point of view, this has been one of the most enjoyable tournaments to watch for ages, because for the first time in as long as I can remember no-one has talked us up. I've just gone into each England game hoping to enjoy the match, and tomorrow will be the same but I won't be dejected if we lose (if anything, the idea of going out to Italy in the quarters is preferable to getting dicked by Fritz in the semis), it's just nice to have a team I feel I can get behind again. All we need now is for Terry to be binned off after the tournament and I'll feel quite contented

Terry, who has been arguably one of your best performers so far?....like i said on the previous page, winding you lot up (or trolling) is a national pastime during major tournaments. There's no malice, it just gives us someone to support, cos we'll be lucky to qualify for anything in the next decade!

< Message edited by big dawg -- 23/6/2012 8:25:49 PM >

I can believe things that are true and I can believe things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not

Gamertag - SqualorVic

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 66
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 23/6/2012 8:37:51 PM   
matty_b

See, I don't mind Scottish fans doing it when they admit it.

It's when they say, "Ooh, it's only because you all think you're gonna win the tournament that we hate you" that irritates.

quote:

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 67
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 23/6/2012 8:38:10 PM   
superdan

quote:

Terry, who has been arguably one of your best performers so far?....like i said on the previous page, winding you lot up (or trolling) is a national pastime during major tournaments. There's no malice, it just gives us someone to support, cos we'll be lucky to qualify for anything in the next decade!

I know it's all part of the banter, but we have to give some response or it's all one-way! Besides, calling you lot bitter is the same as the beauty who tells the mingers they're just jealous

And I don't care how well Terry has played, he'll always be a poisonous twat to me. This tournament should be his swansong as an England player. Though to be fair to him, if it is he's doing a reasonable job of going out on a high.

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 68
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 24/6/2012 5:14:05 AM   
horribleives

Virtually everyone I know is english and also a football fan and I don't know one person who thinks we're definitely gonna hump Italy then hump the Germans. We're just enjoying the ride. Imagine that.
I'm all for the anti-english banter from the scots but when you start saying silly things like Ashley Cole isn't one of the best full-backs in the world when he clearly is you just sound like a bunch of sunderland supporters.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 69
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 24/6/2012 5:16:32 PM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thats the difference though, for us to get to a tournament would be a great achievement for us and we'd be happy with that. The way some of you guys carry on, you think England are Brazil and should be competing in semi finals and finals every tourney you get to because you have Wayne Rooney or Ashley Cole!!!

From who?

Take your pick, all the TV and Radio based media have been spouting this nonsense since you qualified from the Group as winners.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 70
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 24/6/2012 5:20:30 PM   
Saltire

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

News to me. If you know people who genuinely believe that England are going to beat all those teams then do me a favour and call them morons for me. The best England can hope for is maybe, with a liberal dose of luck, squeaking past Italy. After that we're barbecued anyway because Germany would destroy us.

Seriously, no-one I know has any delusions of England causing an upset in this tournament (beyond the one they've already caused by finishing top of the group).

Realistically, I think they can beat Italy tonight as though Italy are good defensively and in midfield with Pirlo looking supreme once more, I think they are somewhat lacking upfront and England tbf to them have been taking their limited chances well (I believe that they had the best or near as the best chance conversion rate in the tourney?). However if they face the Germans, I can honestly see a similar scoreline as what was inflicted upon England in SA. Germany to go all the way.

< Message edited by Saltire -- 24/6/2012 5:28:59 PM >

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 71
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 24/6/2012 5:21:36 PM   
horribleives

I don't listen to much radio but I'd say the opposite's true on the telly, especially the BBC whose pundits couldn't be more negative about england's chances if they were all, well, scottish.

< Message edited by horribleives -- 24/6/2012 5:22:28 PM >

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 72
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 24/6/2012 5:22:30 PM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

It's amazing how these anti-England supporters have these thousands upon thousands of people saying to them that England are going to win the trophy and play like Brazil.

Lol you havent been listening then have you. We up here get bombarded with it all the time.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 73
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 24/6/2012 5:25:10 PM   
Saltire

quote:

Didnt Rio Ferdinand also predict Germany's fall to England in the semi's just yesterday on Twitter? Talksport I listen to also just for the drivel it comes up with, Michael Gray (who?) said they were destined to win it the other night also. Just a couple of examples.

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 74
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 24/6/2012 5:28:05 PM   
Saltire

Lol yeah we have drifted quite far off topic

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 75
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 24/6/2012 5:30:17 PM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

Lol you havent been listening then have you. We up here get bombarded with it all the time.

Maybe, but there's a lot more of us down here.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 76
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 24/6/2012 5:31:46 PM   
directorscut

I love the Terry Venables advert "without a doubt we are contenders"...

It's like he's stuck in a 90s timewarp completely obviously to the reality of today.

< Message edited by directorscut -- 24/6/2012 5:32:13 PM >

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 77
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 24/6/2012 5:31:53 PM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

Didnt Rio Ferdinand also predict Germany's fall to England in the semi's just yesterday on Twitter? Talksport I listen to also just for the drivel it comes up with, Michael Gray (who?) said they were destined to win it the other night also. Just a couple of examples.

Nice one

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 78
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 24/6/2012 5:38:31 PM   
Rinc

quote:

quote:

From who?

Take your pick, all the TV and Radio based media have been spouting this nonsense since you qualified from the Group as winners.

So you've been reading tabloids and listening to Talksport and that's what you're basing these assumptions on?

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 79
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 24/6/2012 5:44:20 PM   
matty_b

quote:

quote:

From who?

quote:

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 80
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 24/6/2012 5:49:28 PM   
directorscut

quote:

quote:

quote:

From who?

So you've been reading tabloids and listening to Talksport and that's what you're basing these assumptions on?

They're the mouthpiece of the people.

I love how they keep talking about how exciting this England team is and how they've restored pride and how they're done amazing after getting a draw to a crap France side, a shaky win against a medicore Sweden and a gift of a win against a Ukraine team that had 71% of the possession.

If this was a Sven or Cappello squad they'd be massacred.

REALITY PEOPLE.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 81
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 24/6/2012 5:52:56 PM   
Saltire

quote:

quote:

quote:

From who?

Which is the media isn't it, SSN is the same, MOTD and ITV are the same, SportsTonight is the same, they all have idiots on there that know they'll go all the way. I agree that a lot of the fans don't listen to those opinions and agree with them, but the media have overhyped it once more, like they do every tourney England are involved in.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 82
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 24/6/2012 5:54:29 PM   
Rhubarb

Its interesting how (some) Scottish do get so wound up about all of this, I mean its Wimbledon next week and we may hear quite a bit about how maybe this can be Murray's year (it won't be) and I don't see many English getting too wound up about this (I know he competes under the British flag, but nonetheless).

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 83
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 24/6/2012 5:59:37 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

quote:

quote:

From who?

They're the mouthpiece of the people.

I love how they keep talking about how exciting this England team is and how they've restored pride and how they're done amazing after getting a draw to a crap France side, a shaky win against a medicore Sweden and a gift of a win against a Ukraine team that had 71% of the possession.

If this was a Sven or Cappello squad they'd be massacred.

REALITY PEOPLE.

No they're not, they're a bunch of clueless ex-pros and bitter journalists with agendas and allegiances. The don't represent the typical england fan in the slightest.

Post #: 84
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 24/6/2012 6:00:06 PM   
directorscut

LOL. Will there really be anyone flying the Murray banner apart from Sue Barker?

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 85
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 24/6/2012 6:03:04 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

LOL. Will there really be anyone flying the Murray banner apart from Sue Barker?

She's the mouthpiece of the people.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

Post #: 86
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 24/6/2012 6:05:21 PM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

From who?

Which is the media isn't it, SSN is the same, MOTD and ITV are the same, SportsTonight is the same, they all have idiots on there that know they'll go all the way. I agree that a lot of the fans don't listen to those opinions and agree with them, but the media have overhyped it once more, like they do every tourney England are involved in.

I know a lot of the pundits on MOTD and ITV are full of shit but I'm yet to hear Lineker, Dixon, Chiles, Carragher or anyone else say we're going to go all the way. Is supporting your team and being optimistic that we might actually beat Italy the same as being deluded now?

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 87
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 24/6/2012 6:20:58 PM   
Rinc

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

From who?

It's not the whole media, it doesn't represent everyone, most of them are clueless bores anyway, and as horribleives just said, most of them haven't been saying that.

Anyway carry on with your bitter moans about the English!

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 88
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 24/6/2012 6:24:08 PM   
big dawg

quote:

Me!!! He's Scottish after all, and we like to support our own

RE: Michael Gray...isn't he the second best English Left Back over the past 10-15 years?

Gamertag - SqualorVic

Post #: 89
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 24/6/2012 6:43:00 PM   
JJ Holiday

The mainstream English media is terrible. And at times are quite deluded. But having lived in Scotland they are not nearly as bad as the blind nonsense spouted by the Scottish media.

The general critique seems to stem from a sense of misplaced optimism but that is rife in any country, including Scotland. I mean they actually think that they can qualify for a major tournament. Plenty of Scottish people complain about the amount of references to '1966', but I can assure you that these references pale in comparison to the amount of times the Archie Gemmil goal is shown/mentioned. I lived there for 3 years and after constant exposure to it, it is burned into my mind.

I often sometimes bark at people during conversation that "James McFadden is one of the best players in Europe" or that "Kris Boyd is one of the top finishers in European football". I was basically indoctrinated.

Back to Ashley Cole..... one of the best. No doubt about it.

"Stay frosty"

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI