Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: There's only one Ashley Cole..

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 21/6/2012 10:48:18 PM   
Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

quote:

This would be the "lady" who physically assaulted a black women in a nightclub toilet because she wouldn't give her a lollipop?

Would it be in poor taste to make a I've got something Cheryl can suck on quip here?

No joking aside, I agree about Cole. I don't like the man but he's by far and wide England's most consistent player, he's the rare commodity of his performances for his country matching those of his club, unlike the likes of Rooney, Lampard and Milner. Gerrard has really impressed me so far this tournament, as have Parker, Hart and Young, so far the five stand-out players for me.

The rest have been distinctly indifferent which is what, if we'd all been completely honest with ourselves, we should have expected.

Really? He was better against Ukraine and made a couple of great crosses but of all the players who've started every game I'd say it's a toss-up betwen him and Milner over he's been the worst.

I agree, Young has been crap. Haven't though much of Parker either, I'd say Terry has been more impressive than him.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 31
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 22/6/2012 12:05:37 AM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson
I just hope he bags his England goal soon.

Winning goal in the final vs Spain.

He'd deserve it more than any player.

Gotta get past the Italians and Germans first.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 32
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 22/6/2012 12:06:40 AM   
Saltire

double post

< Message edited by Saltire -- 22/6/2012 12:07:33 AM >

(in reply to JJ Holiday)
Post #: 33
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 22/6/2012 12:07:19 AM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keyser Sozzled

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

In the same league as Paolo Maldini - one of the best left backs of all time

Yeah, really not.

Indeed, Ashley Cole will not be remembered 10 years after he quits, Maldini will be remembered for decades to come.

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 34
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 22/6/2012 12:27:06 AM   
Skiba

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saltire

quote:

quote:

Yeah, really not.

Indeed, Ashley Cole will not be remembered 10 years after he quits, Maldini will be remembered for decades to come.

Perhaps not by you but he will be by anyone who's watched the Premier League or the CL for the past 20 years.

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 35
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 22/6/2012 9:27:31 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah, really not.

I don't agree. I think in 10 years time, if we are all still here discussing England Cole will still be spoken about as one of the best players we've had.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 36
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 22/6/2012 11:00:08 AM   
Dirk Miggler

I agree Cole will be remebered and rightly so, his club record and level of success has been unbelievable. The problem is though he's played for a team of so-called underachievers for the last 8 years at international level. Personally I never thought we were ever on the same level, as the France, Brazil, Italy and Spain's of this world, bur on a good night we could match anyone, problem was the nation went nuts after the 5-1 Germany win thinking England were world beaters when in fact we had a good night but against a poor team.

Finally the nations starting realise that we aren't that good and starting to get behind the team again regardless of the way we play.

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 37
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 22/6/2012 11:07:06 AM   
Russ Whitfield

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirk Miggler

Finally the nations starting realise that we aren't that good and starting to get behind the team again regardless of the way we play.

This.

www.soldiergirlsmovie.com/
www.i-spimovie.com/

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 38
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 22/6/2012 5:42:54 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Russ Whitfield

quote:

This.

I don't agree, I think the nation realised we weren't that good a long, long time ago.

And as for Cole not being remembered in 10 years, utter rubbish. Football fans don't forget great players, ever.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Russ Whitfield)
Post #: 39
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 23/6/2012 1:04:20 AM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skiba

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah, really not.

Perhaps not by you but he will be by anyone who's watched the Premier League or the CL for the past 20 years.

Lol I have watched the PL and CL for over twenty years and he doesnt stick out for me as one of the games all time greats; he's good, but not great.

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 40
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 23/6/2012 1:06:09 AM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Russ Whitfield

quote:

This.

I don't agree, I think the nation realised we weren't that good a long, long time ago.

And as for Cole not being remembered in 10 years, utter rubbish. Football fans don't forget great players, ever.

Hehe a lot of football fans cant even tell you the day of week it is let alone remember great players

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 41
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 23/6/2012 9:42:32 AM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skiba

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah, really not.

Lol I have watched the PL and CL for over twenty years and he doesnt stick out for me as one of the games all time greats; he's good, but not great.

Well you can live in your own bubble of Ashley-hate and ignore every journalist, manager, fan and pundit who regard him as a one of the finest English defenders of all time

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 42
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 23/6/2012 9:53:33 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

Anyone would have thought that there was a petty nationalistic reason for Salty to be raining down the hate.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 43
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 23/6/2012 9:55:43 AM   
Fluke Skywalker

I was thinking the same thing

Post #: 44
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 23/6/2012 10:49:06 AM   
horribleives

I know, it's almost as if he comes from a country where some of the football fans are so bitter about the english they'll be wearing Italy shirts tomorow night...
I'd also love to know which Premier League and Champions League he's been watching for the last twenty years as it sure as shit isn't the same one as me - forget about ten years time, Cole already is considered one of the game's greats.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 45
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 23/6/2012 12:04:18 PM   
superdan

Ah, give Saltire a break. Trolling the English is the only thing some Scottish footy fans get to enjoy. Especially when international tournaments are on.

Post #: 46
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 23/6/2012 12:17:24 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

Ah, give Saltire a break. Trolling the English is the only thing some Scottish footy fans get to enjoy. Especially when international tournaments are on.

No, they'll be they'll be there next time apparently, seeing as 32 teams get to go.
But won't that mean finishing top 2 in qualifying?

Although that's the next Euros mind, not the world cup.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 23/6/2012 12:23:34 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 47
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 23/6/2012 1:24:30 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

quote:

No, they'll be they'll be there next time apparently, seeing as 32 teams get to go.

32? Jesus, I thought it was 24 teams. I don't know how they're going to do qualifying, though I hope England get Russia with a 6-point deduction in their group

Post #: 48
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 23/6/2012 1:28:29 PM   
horribleives

32 teams? Fuck, I thought 24 was gonna ruin it but 32's taking the piss.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 49
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 23/6/2012 1:30:05 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

32 teams? Fuck, I thought 24 was gonna ruin it but 32's taking the piss.

Sorry my bad they are going to 24, although I always had the argument that 16 teams should have made it the toughest to win due to the quality. This tournament has disproves it so far.

I'm your huckleberry...

Post #: 50
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 23/6/2012 6:00:35 PM   
Saltire

quote:

Anyone would have thought that there was a petty nationalistic reason for Salty to be raining down the hate.

Hate? Wheres the hate exactly, I am merely stating the fact I dont think he is one of the all time great full backs and because I am not agreeing with you all, its hate-fuelled?

Post #: 51
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 23/6/2012 6:05:24 PM   
Saltire

quote:

I know, it's almost as if he comes from a country where some of the football fans are so bitter about the english they'll be wearing Italy shirts tomorow night...
I'd also love to know which Premier League and Champions League he's been watching for the last twenty years as it sure as shit isn't the same one as me - forget about ten years time, Cole already is considered one of the game's greats.

I will be for two reasons, the first isn't because we are 'bitter', its just we're fed up of the tripe that gets spouted about the England team after they beat a couple of average sides unconvincingly then they are then destined to 'do a Chelsea' and win the whole tourney. Then theres the fact that hardly anything else gets reported about when the sports news is on, even on the days when other teams are playing - its incredibly tiresome - no wonder the rest of us cant wait for them to get eliminated.

Secondly I'll be supporting them as my brother-in-law is Italian so have a soft spot for them anyway, even though they are dire to watch too!!

Post #: 52
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 23/6/2012 6:10:50 PM   
Saltire

quote:

quote:

Thats the difference though, for us to get to a tournament would be a great achievement for us and we'd be happy with that. The way some of you guys carry on, you think England are Brazil and should be competing in semi finals and finals every tourney you get to because you have Wayne Rooney or Ashley Cole!!!

Post #: 53
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 23/6/2012 6:18:51 PM   
big dawg

quote:

No we won't. We're mince. Let us be petty and poke fun at you in the meantime. It's a kind of national hobby during major tournaments. I try to kid on I'm indifferent about how you do, but I'm not. I like seeing England lose at football, sad as that sounds to you all. Only football mind. Well maybe rugby too. Don't mind anything else. I think what annoys us more is that the bitterness isn't really reciprocated and you see Germany/Argentina/France as rivals. To be expected though as you compete with them more than you'll ever compete with us.

Back on topic....Ashley Cole, cretin though he is, has prob been the most consistent left back in the world in the past 10 years. Certainly the best England left back in my lifetime (I'm 31).....I was a great fan of Neville too (and of his punditry incidentally) so yeah, as full backs go you've been pretty well equipped the past 15 years.

I can believe things that are true and I can believe things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not

Gamertag - SqualorVic

Post #: 54
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 23/6/2012 6:29:34 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigBadWolf

I was going to do an ode to Ashley Cole, but hey, I'm not creative enough to write ode's.

So apparently Ashley Cole is now Englands most capped tournament player, now there's been times when I, like a lot of other people has said some 'orrible things about 'orrible, money grabbing Ashley Cole, but I now realise I was wrong. I was wrong to think he was a prick for shaking in near vomiting anger at the lack of a decent weeks wage from Arsenal, or for having a secret meeting with Chelsea.

Wrong for thinking he was a twat for shooting a youth player with an air gun. Let's face it, the kid probably deserved it. I never gave a shit about his relationship with nations sweetheart, or that he took nude pictures of himself in a hotel room.

For Ashley Cole is simply Englands finest, most consistent player of 'his (golden) generation' and will one day probably be looked at as one of Englands finest ever players.

Ashley Cole, world class player, and lovable rogue. I salute you. You lovely, mean spirited bastard

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to BigBadWolf)
Post #: 55
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 23/6/2012 6:40:50 PM   
superdan

quote:

Thats the difference though, for us to get to a tournament would be a great achievement for us and we'd be happy with that. The way some of you guys carry on, you think England are Brazil and should be competing in semi finals and finals every tourney you get to because you have Wayne Rooney or Ashley Cole!!!

This really isn't true since SA though is it?

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 56
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 23/6/2012 6:50:55 PM   
Saltire

quote:

quote:

Isn't it? Now you've got through that group, your gonna beat Italy, Germany and Spain no problem, thats what I've been hearing.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 57
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 23/6/2012 6:52:01 PM   
BigBadWolf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

You know, we're trying pay tribute to a sweet natured young man, and you have to go and spoil it by bringing posting a gif of a violent thug. Shame on you..

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 58
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 23/6/2012 6:54:34 PM   
Scott_

quote:

quote:

quote:

Isn't it? Now you've got through that group, your gonna beat Italy, Germany and Spain no problem, thats what I've been hearing.

From who exactly?

They are right though, we dominated the group. The Italians will be put to the sword and then we'll show Ze Germans how real football is played before beating Spain again with Cole grabbing the winner. Name. On. The. Trophy.

< Message edited by Scott_ -- 23/6/2012 6:55:11 PM >

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 59
RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. - 23/6/2012 6:54:51 PM   
Rinc

quote:

quote:

quote:

From who?

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: There's only one Ashley Cole.. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI