Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Close Encounters of the Third Kind blu ray

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> Close Encounters of the Third Kind blu ray Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Close Encounters of the Third Kind blu ray - 19/6/2012 1:38:01 PM   
great_badir

Did a search and came up squat. Also wasn't sure whether or not to post this in Knowledge Base, but figured I'd get more responses here...

Can anyone give me some informed opinions on the Close Encounters blu ray please, in terms of the transfer? Amazon reviews are infuriatingly split between those saying it's a terrible transfer and those that say it's brilliant.

Basically I want to know if it's a repeat of the French Connection DNR nightmare.

Thanks all.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS
Post #: 1
RE: Close Encounters of the Third Kind blu ray - 19/6/2012 5:32:16 PM   
directorscut

It has a few problems - most of which you'd probably not notice if you're not projecting it. These problems could be overcome with a new encode - the disc is quite old - unbelievably it was released 5 years ago.

But generally excellent quality and filmlike. I'd give it 4/5.

If you care about packaging get the US release (region free) - sturdy box, booklet + poster.

Problem with French Connection was the colours --- and that has since been address with a re-issue.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 2
RE: Close Encounters of the Third Kind blu ray - 19/6/2012 6:41:18 PM   
great_badir

Thanks DC.

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut
Problem with French Connection was the colours --- and that has since been address with a re-issue.

The main problem I had with it (and what made me sell the disc the day after I watched it) was the unbelievable amount of background detail loss - it was almost like watching it through a film of vaseline. Has that been sorted with the reissue as well?

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 3
RE: Close Encounters of the Third Kind blu ray - 19/6/2012 7:28:46 PM   
directorscut

The re-issue looks softer but only because the original release was artificially sharpened and contrast boosted. The new release is far more natural. Remember the film was shot on handheld cameras for a documentary feel, so it it will never look super sharp.

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/comparison.php?cap1=8337&cap2=2611&art=full&image=2&cID=941&action=1&lossless=#vergleich

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> Close Encounters of the Third Kind blu ray Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI