Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Missing the point, reboots are meant to be better than the original.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Missing the point, reboots are meant to be better than the original. Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Missing the point, reboots are meant to be better than ... - 9/11/2012 11:20:33 AM   
DanielTurner1990

Unlike my friends, I was skeptical regarding the release of The Amazing Spider-Man. I think, like many people it was too soon for a reboot considering, the first trilogy began the birth of the modern day superhero movies (Batman, Avengers spring to mind). Unfortunately, my fears became reality when I went to see the film. I couldn't identify with the characters (always believing that something was missing), and thought that the CGI was sloppy (would have been easier to gone with a proper villain eg. The Hobgoblin). The only saving grace was the back story, which I actually enjoyed to see something directly influenced by the comic books. I don't know if it is just me, but maybe it wasn't such a good idea to bring a reboot out so soon. Good idea in the long road, but sorry Sony, not a good idea right now.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 181
A reboot was Spidey's only option,, stop complaining! - 28/11/2012 12:54:41 PM   
Jamie_M

Do people not remember Spiderman 3, it was a disaster, a reboot was the only option if we wanted to see more Spiderman movies.
And seeing as it grossed over 700 million and got good critical response I'm guessing people did want to see more Spidey films. If you were one of the moaners who said it was to soon and pointless, simple solution, don't fuc#ing watch it, whats the problem?

Post #: 182
Did people really want Raimi's Spiderman 4 (with the Vu... - 28/11/2012 1:08:18 PM   
Jamie_M

What I don't get is how come only weeks after a successful Batman Trilogy the whole internet community (including Empire), are writing articles and discussing plans and are excited to reboot Batman, or have him star in the Justice League. Yet 5/6 years after the horrendous franchise ending Spiderman 3, people just whined and moaned, "Waaa,, it's too soon and pointless". I was delighted they rebooted the franchise, is was really they're only option.

Post #: 183
A solid take on - 30/11/2012 9:01:09 PM   
dannyfletch

I can understand why people are saying this is too soon for a reboot but I also agree that Raimi lost the plot and killed it with the 3rd one. I found this to be a good, solid take on Spiderman with a great performance from Andrew Garfield. The bad guy could've been better but was ok. I think overall this is a very good origins story and look forward to see where they take it with the next one.

Post #: 184
Great start to reboot - 4/12/2012 6:01:14 PM   
rcrofty7

Loved this, liked Garfield as spiderman and it looks like the next one is gonna have more edge to it with another girl and some extra bad guys.

Post #: 185
Amazing - 20/12/2012 3:34:14 PM   
AC1993

I would rate this 4.5 stars if I could, but there's no half star rating option.
I was very impressed by this film, having loved the first two Raimi Spider-Man movies as a kid I was apprehensive about the reboot, but I think it's not only a better movie, but a better representation of Spider-Man. It shows the true tragedy surrounding the life of Peter Parker, but rather than make the character a self-pitying crybaby like the original trilogy did, this new version shows him as a character constantly trying to learn from his mistakes and take control.

It was also very refreshing to see a more intimate superhero film, and by that I mean there's less of a focus on the 'good guy vs bad guy' action (although there is a lot of that too) and more of a focus on the relationships between characters and how they'd realistically react to the situations they're placed in.

I would say that the editing is a bit sloppy in places. At times it's hard to understand certain character motivations and story elements, and it seems as though bits were cut out either when they shouldn't have been, or without the proper thought behind supplementing the missing pieces. And I think the biggest victim of this is the villain, The Lizard, whose motivations are sketchy in places and he comes off as a less than rounded character (although I also think a lot of people are a little too critical over him).

All in all, a superb reboot, with a brilliant cast, good writing, and a talented director.

Post #: 186
More enjoyable than I thought it would be - 27/12/2012 4:00:35 PM   
chris wootton

I'd put it on a par with Raimi's to be honest. Raimi's isn't the greatest film in the world either

Post #: 187
Useless - 28/12/2012 4:47:30 PM   
rich

Really just didn't care at all for this - boring =/= amazing? The original Sam Raimi flick wasn't perfect but at least it had character, and a lot of it. This is just tedious, recycled and rehashed.

Post #: 188
Not good enough - 20/1/2013 1:25:26 AM   
MikeyTheSaint

Considering this is a reboot of such a recent film I had hoped that they had a completely different take on the franchise planned. Unfortunately, they just decided on a rehash of Sam Raimi's first Spiderman film. Some things were improved upon; the balance of things weren't. I can only despair that the thinking behind such a move is a completely cynical exercise in money making with no artistic merit whatsoever. I guess this sets a new precedent and we can all look forward to the films we love being repackaged and sold back to us more often than ever before.

Post #: 189
Not good enough - 20/1/2013 10:13:33 AM   
MikeyTheSaint

Considering this is a reboot of such a recent film I had hoped that they had a completely different take on the franchise planned. Unfortunately, they just decided on a rehash of Sam Raimi's first Spiderman film. Some things were improved upon; the balance of things weren't. I can only despair that the thinking behind such a move is a completely cynical exercise in money making with no artistic merit whatsoever. I guess this sets a new precedent and we can all look forward to the films we love being repackaged and sold back to us more often than ever before.

Post #: 190
RE: Missing the point, reboots are meant to be better t... - 20/5/2013 3:27:24 PM   
brucejackiejet

Just saw this at the weekend. Firstly, to those that have said that as Spiderman 3 was poor a reboot was the only option - why not just make a better fourth film? Just because one film in a series is a bit duff, doesn't mean your only option is to completely disregard all others and start again from scratch.

I know opinion seems to be divided on the reboot, but must admit I didn't see the point in it. The good parts just seemed to be rehashes of Raimi's version (can't believe they were lazy enough to actually do another car dangling off bridge scene), while the new sections for the most part didn't really work. The exception to this was the back story about Peter's father which I enjoyed seeing, plus nothing beats the Martin Sheen factor :-)

As much as I like Emma Stone, her whole relationship with Peter was nowhere near as powerful as the Mary Jane story. I think it's because it just happens way too quickly and easily for us to really care. In Raimi's films Peter was a proper geek who loved her from afar (as opposed to Garfield's stalkerish tendancies in the reboot - taking pictures? really?), and it took two films for him to finally get the courage to make it happen with her and a whole lot of heartache before he got there. In contrast, Gwen is chasing Peter within about 10 minutes (maybe 10 is an exaggeration but that's what it felt like). So our supposed 'geek' rides skateboards and is being pursued by the hottest girl in school - hardly a guy in need of spidey powers! She's even the one that asks him out on their first date - where's the challenge in that!

The action itself was alright, but no better (and in some cases worse) than Raimi's version, much like the film in general, which all starts to beg the question - what was the point again? Ah yes, money.

(in reply to DanielTurner1990)
Post #: 191
RE: Missing the point, reboots are meant to be better t... - 26/5/2013 10:49:45 AM   
dillon.anderson1378

The Amazing Spiderman

I am a huge fan of the original trilogy starring Tobey Maguire and directed by Sam Raimi, so I had high expectations for this spiderman film. I must say whilst it was a decent film, it did not live up to the reputation set by Raimi.

I give this film 2.5/5 which is 5/10

Fast paced and cool action sequences, the always great Emma Stone and some decent visual effects. But the writing is... to be put nicely, Awkward and at times, slow compared to the original Spiderman, and Garfield would not have been my first choice to play him.

Overall, it is a decent film, but it could have been so much better.

< Message edited by dillon.anderson1378 -- 26/5/2013 10:58:03 AM >

(in reply to brucejackiejet)
Post #: 192
RE: Missing the point, reboots are meant to be better t... - 15/7/2013 9:18:54 PM   
Will Frey

While I was a big fan of the Tobey Mcquire franchise initially, They completely lost me with the third movie. I honestly wanted to scream at the screen when I saw it. Now when I saw "The Amazing Spider Man" starring Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone, I was very pleasantly re-introduced to Spider Man & Co in a completely new way. It seems much more younger, fresher, cleaner. Overall, it was a success. I'd give it a 7 out of 10. Electro should be exciting in the sequel.

(in reply to dillon.anderson1378)
Post #: 193
RE: Missing the point, reboots are meant to be better t... - 16/7/2013 3:55:57 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Will Frey

While I was a big fan of the Tobey Mcquire franchise initially, They completely lost me with the third movie. I honestly wanted to scream at the screen when I saw it. Now when I saw "The Amazing Spider Man" starring Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone, I was very pleasantly re-introduced to Spider Man & Co in a completely new way. It seems much more younger, fresher, cleaner. Overall, it was a success. I'd give it a 7 out of 10. Electro should be exciting in the sequel.

Electro should be electrifying in the sequel!!...get it ...see what I did there!!...

I loved TASM a solid 7/10 looking forward to the sequel despite the suit change.

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to Will Frey)
Post #: 194
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Missing the point, reboots are meant to be better than the original. Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI