Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Passionless. Pointless. Unnecessary.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Passionless. Pointless. Unnecessary. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Passionless. Pointless. Unnecessary. - 4/7/2012 11:41:12 PM   
Rebenectomy

I'll concede that the Lizard and much of his antics are the biggest weakness in the film - I think it was Adam who said either a few pages back or in another thread, that the film would have done better to forego the big bad, and while I'm not sure what path they would have taken otherwise, there's merit in that suggestion. You could have still had Connors in the film, ready to turn in a sequel.

But I think there are some assumptions made in the other criticisms. Peter doesn't just produce an equation out of his arse, we see him working on it before hand. Aunt May doesn't disappear, I just don't think all that much time has passed, so there's no need to have her in every other scene like some sort of montage of grief. And I don't honestly think we're supposed to believe Peter is Googling his father's name for the first time, rather he is revisiting an issue that he's either felt is too dormant, too painful or that he was simply too young to address before hand. He's prompted by the discover of the bag and it's contents. Perhaps not the strongest of plot devices, but certainly one you can envisage motivating a moody teen.

I also think there's little point in bemoaning the re-imagined Peter - it was time for him to change and even the comic themselves paint a much more in depth relationship between Peter and the 'in' crowd at school rather than one of simply wedgies and taunting - in fact if I remember correctly, there's very little of pre-Spidey Parker in the source material. And just because he stands up to bullies doesn't make him a hero - it just makes him a decent person. He still gets his ass handed to him for the trouble.

I liked Gwen too. I thought she was the fitting confident and romantic friend, though I think it was silly that she was alone with that machine for so long and didn't think to sabotage it - a massive failing on the writer's behalf as anyone with half a brain would have copped on to that idea. That would have made her the hero though and I'm afraid the makers just didn't have the balls for that.

< Message edited by Rebenectomy -- 4/7/2012 11:43:24 PM >

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 61
RE: Passionless. Pointless. Unnecessary. - 4/7/2012 11:56:24 PM   
Rgirvan44

My point about the formula is that Peter comes up with something in a matter of days which neither his father or Connors figured out for twenty years. Now if, as I think it was, the film had been about Peter being tested on as a kid by his father, then this could have been put down to him having advanced intellegence. At the moment it feels silly.

Aunt May is in the scene with the eggs, and then in the final scene with the eggs. There is a good hour inbetween there where she doesn't appear, and when she is there, nothing really happens. I don't think a montage of grief would be needed, but her role as a soundboard for Peters struggles disappears once Gwen knows who he really is. Which begs the questions as to why she is even there. If they are going to play around with the story really go for it and maybe just not have an Aunt May in this franchise.

If this isn't the first time Peter has Googled his father, why does he not know about Connors - given it is the very first thing that is returned to him on the search engine?

Here is the thing about Peter - he is suppose to be us. He is suppose to be conflicted and sometimes he didn't stand up when he should have. Could we all hand on heart say that we would always fight the bullies? I doubt it. And that is human, and what is suppose to seperate Peter from the other superheros. He is flawed, he has failings. But each day he is trying to become a better person. Now I am not exactly against the message of a film saying stand up to a bully, but it is a awkward fit for that character.

Everyone seems to love the fact that he has webshooters now - yet don't seem to mind his actual character being altered.

Agreed about Gwen. I liked that they didn't have her be kidnapped, but as you say, they also had no idea what to do with her afterwards. Are we honestly to believe she meekly goes into that car? She could have had a much more pro-active role in the film. Which is a bit of a shame, given where the next film is likely to go.

< Message edited by Rgirvan44 -- 4/7/2012 11:59:09 PM >

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 62
RE: Passionless. Pointless. Unnecessary. - 5/7/2012 12:09:49 AM   
Rebenectomy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Agreed about Gwen. I liked that they didn't have her be kidnapped, but as you say, they also had no idea what to do with her afterwards. Are we honestly to believe she meekly goes into that car? She could have had a much more pro-active role in the film. Which is a bit of a shame, given where the next film is likely to go.

Actually, there felt like there was some iffy editing going on involving scenes with Gwen and her father in and around the school bit, it did leave me wondering if there was something left out that might have shown a bit more spirit. But she may have gotten into the car, after all there was a big fuck off lizard on the loose and she doesn't have super powers.

I'll agree Peter is supposed to have flaws and failings, and we do see that in the film - the robbery scene (far more effective than a car jacking in my opinion, as it was the simple way in which the robbery took place - none violent, very dog eat dog cynicism about it, that resulted in a terrible loss), but I don't agree he's the everyman either. He's always been presented as intelligent (perhaps not the hyper level of this incarnation, but who knows, this might be looked into later), he's always been driven and talented and he actually had a lot more luck with women that the Raimi films make out. I think a lot of people maybe want to take comfort in thinking he was a reflection of the the inner nerd, but the inner nerd has changed so much since the 60s, that it would be stagnant to still present the specky wimp who cowers at the thought of confrontation.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 63
RE: Passionless. Pointless. Unnecessary. - 5/7/2012 12:11:46 AM   
Rebenectomy

BTW - the offspring had to go and take a whizz pronto at the end, and as a result I missed the credits teaser. What was it? You can put it in invisio if that's cool.

Post #: 64
RE: Passionless. Pointless. Unnecessary. - 5/7/2012 12:22:58 AM   
Rgirvan44

I think the film was hacked to pieces to be honest, so you will likely be right about Gwen. I actually think they missed a trick not having her escape the tower while being chased by The Lizard - at least then she would have had a scene, not needed to be rescused by anyone else, and would have felt right that she recover in back of car.

As for Peter - I don't think it is as simple as him being a nerd and thus comic book fans can relate. Parker doesn't have a big mansion, he isn't born of alien parents. He struggles to get a job, he cares for his elderly relation, he does get the girl. But he has a humanity at his centre born from not always doing the right thing. I agree the actual shooting of Ben was well handled, but there was no pride before a fall thing going on.

And as I said in the review, nowerdays Parker would be the cool kid. I just find it interesting that comic book fans are falling over themselves in praise of the film having mechanical webshooters, while at the same time not really being too bothered that the character has really been changed at a fundamental level.

As for the final scene SPOILERS

Connor's is in this cell. Some guy suddenly appears and asks if he told Peter about his parents. Connor's tells him to leave Peter alone. There is some lightening and the figure vanished. Persume that it is Norman.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 65
Four stars? - 5/7/2012 12:23:15 AM   
moviemandan

Saw The Amazing Spider-man today and to be honest from this and other various reviews I was not expecting this film to be really anything other than average or below. I was very wrong. Although it's probably wrong to compare and as much as i enjoyed Raimi's origin version, this far surpassed my expectations and despite it's few flaws, this was, in my opinion, a much better film in pretty much every aspect. It may not truly beat Raimi's spider-man 2's just yet but that's what the sequel will do I'm sure. Pros: Garfield's and Stone's performances, action pieces were far more spider-like and Spider-man felt like like the Spider-man I know and love from the Amazing with a tad of Ultimate comics, humor and Stan Lee's cameo. Cons: The lizard's design - some CGI was truly terrible, should of had a snout, some scenes were a little too cheesy for my liking. I actually enjoyed this more than The Avengers and i loved that film! Go watch!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 66
RE: Passionless. Pointless. Unnecessary. - 5/7/2012 12:29:58 AM   
Rebenectomy

quote:

Connor's is in this cell. Some guy suddenly appears and asks if he told Peter about his parents. Connor's tells him to leave Peter alone. There is some lightening and the figure vanished. Persume that it is Norman.

Ah right. Could be Tombstone though, he played a big part in the Spectacular Spiderman cartoons series, which this film is probably more like than any of the other ones.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 67
RE: Passionless. Pointless. Unnecessary. - 5/7/2012 12:37:37 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebenectomy

quote:

Ah right. Could be Tombstone though, he played a big part in the Spectacular Spiderman cartoons series, which this film is probably more like than any of the other ones.

Who was the dude in the wheelchair from that cartoon? He was a big player on the show.

Post #: 68
RE: Passionless. Pointless. Unnecessary. - 5/7/2012 12:41:07 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

I just find it interesting that comic book fans are falling over themselves in praise of the film having mechanical webshooters, while at the same time not really being too bothered that the character has really been changed at a fundamental level.

I don't really think that this is the case though, is it? The only time I've mentioned the web shooters was in reaction to a tweet last night (it might have been from yourself actually) citing the change of the web-shooters to be a something. I've not seen the adoption of mechanical shooters being used as a genuine plus point from anyone attempting to explain why they liked it. But for what its worth I personally did take issue with the changes made to Parker's persona: I have a problem with the whole "destined" aspect that comes with involving murky past for the parents. Saying that, I am actually really interested to see where it goes. This is a very different telling of the Parker mythos to anything else told on a major level, and from that perspective I'm really eager to see what Webb and co have got planned.

Even with that in mind though, it ultimately didn't detract too much from what I thought was a pretty great film. Yes it had problems, but it succeeded really well in that one key area of characterisation.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 69
RE: Passionless. Pointless. Unnecessary. - 5/7/2012 12:46:30 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

quote:

There's a moderately interesting article speculating on who it could be here. Personally I'd be shocked if it wasn't Osborn. Osborn uses the same mind-tricks to appear in places in the Raimi flicks and the source material. CLICK

Post #: 70
RE: Passionless. Pointless. Unnecessary. - 5/7/2012 12:50:23 AM   
Rebenectomy

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

quote:

There's a moderately interesting article speculating on who it could be here. Personally I'd be shocked if it wasn't Osborn. Osborn uses the same mind-tricks to appear in places in the Raimi flicks and the source material. CLICK

Ifans has said in an interview that it's not Norman click

< Message edited by Rebenectomy -- 5/7/2012 12:52:07 AM >

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 71
RE: Passionless. Pointless. Unnecessary. - 5/7/2012 12:50:51 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

I just find it interesting that comic book fans are falling over themselves in praise of the film having mechanical webshooters, while at the same time not really being too bothered that the character has really been changed at a fundamental level.

I don't really think that this is the case though, is it? The only time I've mentioned the web shooters was in reaction to a tweet last night (it might have been from yourself actually) citing the change of the web-shooters to be a something. I've not seen the adoption of mechanical shooters being used as a genuine plus point from anyone attempting to explain why they liked it. But for what its worth I personally did take issue with the changes made to Parker's persona: I have a problem with the whole "destined" aspect that comes with involving murky past for the parents. Saying that, I am actually really interested to see where it goes. This is a very different telling of the Parker mythos to anything else told on a major level, and from that perspective I'm really eager to see what Webb and co have got planned.

Even with that in mind though, it ultimately didn't detract too much from what I thought was a pretty great film. Yes it had problems, but it succeeded really well in that one key area of characterisation.

Oh that wasn't aimed at you Adam - more generally I have seen the webshooters being brought up in discussions elsewhere and just found it to be a curious thing to note.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 72
RE: Passionless. Pointless. Unnecessary. - 5/7/2012 12:54:34 AM   
Rebenectomy

OT. Something I was thinking of today. If Sony own the rights to Spiderman, I presume it's Spiderman as Peter Parker only. Is there a chance that Marvel could use Miles Morales in a future film, say another Avengers?

< Message edited by Rebenectomy -- 5/7/2012 12:55:44 AM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 73
RE: Passionless. Pointless. Unnecessary. - 5/7/2012 12:58:14 AM   
Rgirvan44

I would doubt it to be honest. There was talk of Sony allowing the Avengers to have OSCORP Tower in the background plates of New York, but agreement couldn't be reached in time.

Post #: 74
RE: Passionless. Pointless. Unnecessary. - 5/7/2012 1:23:20 AM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

more generally I have seen the webshooters being brought up in discussions elsewhere and just found it to be a curious thing to note.

I guess some people still haven't got over what Raimi did.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 75
RE: Passionless. Pointless. Unnecessary. - 5/7/2012 1:32:21 AM   
Coyleone

Saw it earlier and I enjoyed it. I liked it the most when the focus was on the Gwen and Peter relationship, Garfield and Stone had great chemistry and were both very good in their roles, especially Garfield who was really good.

I wasn't a fan of The Lizard at all, he looked pretty bad and some of the CGI on him was poor in places. I hated the part where he was talking to himself in the sewers, seemed really hokey and poorly done. Really liked the final action set pieces, even the crane part although it was cheesy, it worked since a bit of cheese can actually be good sometimes and this was one of them. Basically I really liked all of it apart from when Lizard was on the screen, when he was on I turned off a bit tbh. Also didn't care for the POV scenes at all.

The relationship between Peter and Gwen was definitely the highlight since most of the action did little to improve upon Raimi's films, but it had some good ideas with the web use that was new.

So yeah, it was nice to have characters you could care about and that you genuinely liked, and the final scene with the two in the classroom left a big smile across my face. Overall a lot of fun, but a poor villain imo let it down slightly, as well as something else that was missing to make it really great that I can't quite put my finger on, but I liked it more than the first and third of Raimi's films, and the sequels could be a lot better to.

7.5/10

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 76
RE: Passionless. Pointless. Unnecessary. - 5/7/2012 1:40:06 AM   
Rebenectomy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

quote:

more generally I have seen the webshooters being brought up in discussions elsewhere and just found it to be a curious thing to note.

I guess some people still haven't got over what Raimi did.

I like the web slinger old school, but will lament the passing of jizz jokes with a heavy heart.

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 77
Absolutely loved it,, far better than Raimi's first Spi... - 5/7/2012 9:17:34 AM   
Jamie_M

Thought this was great,, a fantastic movie. Way better than Spiderman 1, (No cringey soppy dialogue and no Kirsten Dunst). Yeah a little early for a reboot, but we all knew that goin in. If people's main problem with this is,, Waaaaa, it's too early,, and not enough time has passed since shitty spiderman 3, then simply stop cryin, don't pay to go see it,, wait a year or two and watch it on dvd,, easy!!!!

Post #: 78
Great Film,, wiped all the memories of Spiderman 3 clea... - 5/7/2012 9:49:55 AM   
Jamie_M

I find it hilarious when I see Raimi fanboys criticising certain aspects of this movie like the CGI and the Lizard. Honestly, do you's not remember the shoddy effects and bad video game action sequences from Spiderman 1,awful,, and as for the Lizard, he' s 100 times more threatening and looked far better than that Green Goblin Raimi served up,, he looked like a cheap bad guy from the fucking Power Rangers.

Post #: 79
RE: Absolutely loved it,, far better than Raimi's first... - 5/7/2012 10:34:35 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jamie_M

Thought this was great,, a fantastic movie. Way better than Spiderman 1, (No cringey soppy dialogue and no Kirsten Dunst). Yeah a little early for a reboot, but we all knew that goin in. If people's main problem with this is,, Waaaaa, it's too early,, and not enough time has passed since shitty spiderman 3, then simply stop cryin, don't pay to go see it,, wait a year or two and watch it on dvd,, easy!!!!

That isn't my problem with the film.

(in reply to Jamie_M)
Post #: 80
RE: Passionless. Pointless. Unnecessary. - 5/7/2012 10:38:08 AM   
Vadersville

quote:

This review is going to be foot loose and fancy free with spoilers so look at your own risk. Needless to say I am not a fan of the film. But if you are going to see it, I would say the 3D is pretty useless. I went to a 3D screening and watched 90 percent of the film with my glasses off. The image looked pretty good. Go and see it in a 2D screening.

Anyway! Onwards to this rambling review of mine….

In a world where the flawed but ambitious Prometheus is getting slain by just about everyone for a compromised script, awkward pacing and gaping plot holes, it is interesting to see how many people are giving Spider-Man a pass, when it is not only guilty of the same crimes, but it also lacks that aforementioned ambition.

It is clear that if the film had a soul, it was ripped apart in editing. The story of Peter’s parents is the only thing that exists to justify another reboot of the series, and it is the thing that the editors have taken a knife too.

In one scene Peter (seemingly and unbelievably for the first time) Googles his father’s name, and in what looks like an insert shot, we read that his parents were killed in a plane crash. Yet Peter talks about his parents as if they are alive. Plenty of clues remain that suggest Peter was the subject of a genetic experiment by his father, and his powers didn’t come from the spider bite.

Perhaps fearing reactions, it seems Sony got cold feet here, and instead cut the film to make it as close to the traditional origin as possible. There has been a lot of praise for the first hour of The Amazing Spider-Man, and while certain scenes do work, overall there is a sense of ticking boxes. The movie almost knows that the audience already went through these scenes, and quickly moves forward. Thus we see Uncle Ben killed, but he is barely referenced in the rest of the film. Aunt May disappears from the bulk of the movie after Ben’s death. Everything is by the numbers; none of it feels like it matters.

Comparisons are being made to Batman Begins, and it is undeserved. One of the great things about Begins, was a sense of a growing relationship between the man and the city. In Spider-Man he is just suddenly there one day. We get no sense what New York makes of it, nor whether he is having any effect on things. The reaction of the public is mostly off stage, and as such, New York, which is one of the characters of Spider-Man just feels like AnyCity USA.

Of course there is one scene which I am sure people will bring up in reaction to this, but remember that a) that is down to one character who has a connection to Spidey and b) because we have no sense of public opinion, the scene just doesn't come off nearly as triumphant as it should. There is a scene in the 2001 film which is similar, and while cheesy, feels like it is saying something about the character and the city.

Performance wise, Garfield is good. But I have issues with his Peter Parker. He doesn’t seem like a kid who struggles at school against bullies. He takes pictures and skates and is into science. As 21 Jump Street correctly pointed out, nowadays this version of Peter Parker would be the cool kid, and Flash would be seen as a joke.

There is no real arc to Parker – before he gets his powers he defends a kid from being bullied without question. The idea of Peter is a guy who is constantly trying to become the hero he wants to be. In Spider-Man he is already there before the bite, he just screws up indirectly.

Emma Stone is good as well, but she has nothing to do but nice cutesy romantic stuff with Peter. Hey studios – don’t bother clapping for not making the lead girl a damsel in distress when your other solution is to shove her in a car.

Rhys Ifans is…fine, I suppose. For the first half at least. I didn’t get a sense of tragedy or conflict about him. He made decisions in the film because the script demanded it, not because the audience felt a struggle within Connors.

Sheen is Sheen. He does what he does and he does it well. He is poorly served by a script that is even afraid to put the words “With great power….” into his mouth and instead gives him a less succinct alternative. Sheen has that warmth and carries with him the working class ethic seen in Wall Street, along with the nobility of West Wing. But he plays the role pretty much the same way as he did in the Departed. I love him though, so that doesn’t bother me.

The film really comes apart in the second half of the film. In one scene the Lizard is trying to stop someone from experimenting on other humans. Yet later on he…experiments on humans. Questions abound, such as why the police need to wait for Spider-Man to get to the tower? Did no one think about shooting at the tower and bring it down?

Why exactly was the Lizard at Peter’s school? Couldn’t he have just been getting on with his plan? Peter didn’t seem too bothered seeing as he was in the building. Was the Lizard unable to switch off his PC in the sewers, so as to not clue in anyone who might find it, about what his master plan was? That might have been helpful. The neat little lizard graphics rampaging around the city were a cute little addition that he somehow had the time to design up. I also wanted to see the scene where Connors was hauling all that equipment down into the sewers and trying to set it up.

It was also great that the super secure building which is established as being super secure didn’t have any security cameras or security guards around the secure room with all the genetically modified spiders. Peter wanders around with ease. Why?

Because the script has to let him wander around. I am not even sure why he went off – I suppose he couldn’t just go up to the door of the scientist he wanted to speak to and introduce himself….oh wait.

Talking of which -
“Peter, your father and I spent decades trying to perfect the formula, but it was all for nothing. I am still looking…hoping one day that I can…”
“Here you go”
“What’s this?”
“The formula”
“Oh, cheers!”

The films action, what little there is of it by the way, is rote, and without much in the way of an objective. Bad guy jumps at Spider-Man, he shoots lots of webbing, Lizard breaks free. Rinse. Repeat. There is no creativity, and in fact the best moment of all the fights scenes is when it is in the background as payoff to a joke.

Now I haven’t really gone into a comparison with the first Spider-Man but how can it be avoided when this film treads the same ground? I am not a huge fan of the Raimi films – indeed I outright hate number 3. But the first one, while dated, took time to build its world, and its relationships. Even as you knew Norman Osborne was going to be a bad guy, you were sort of touched when he seemed to take Peter under his wing. The dynamics between the kids felt real. You got to know Ben before he was taken away. The movie wasn’t seemingly devoted to setting up a sequel (Norman Osborne is dying! But we won’t show you his face. No siree). And it allowed itself to be comic book big.

Now, no one is asking Amazing Spider Man to be a replication of the first one, but what I would like to have seen was a take distinct, yet still given time to breathe. For example both films have the bad guy doing an internal monologue to themselves. But with Lizard it comes out of nowhere and doesn’t return. With Norman it is the next step towards madness, and Dafoe really sells that moment. If you are going to repeat specific moments from the first film, you better make darn sure you can do it just as well, or better. Heck they even had a scene after the final battle where Spidey has to make a promise which causes him pain.

And that is the problem. Amazing Spider-Man doesn’t do enough to make itself distinct, and in those areas where it repeats what has come before, it is the inferior version of those events.

The best bit is at the end, when Spidey does his final swing around the city (as done in previous films) and it looks like he blows his load over the audience in a triumphant final shot. I doubt I could come up with a better metaphor for my feelings about this film.

2 stars because I like the actors. And the mouse-lizard. He was awesome. Want a whole film about him.

This is exactly how I feel (except I love Spider-Man 1 and 2 but I do hate 3). This was supposed to be a closer adaptation of the comics but besides the web no longer being one of Peter's powers and Gwen being his first girlfriend and not Mary Jane I can't see how that his true at all. I too have noticed the raving by fan boys about the return to mechanical web shooters which is not only silly but rather odd when you consider in the comics Peters is supposed to have invented both the shooter and the webbing itself, whereas here he steals Oscorp technology and backwards engineers it!

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 81
Best yet. - 5/7/2012 12:40:34 PM   
a_man_and_his_monkey

I'd take this over any of the Raimi movies (especially 3). In my opinion those movies tried too hard. Too soppy. Too corny. This was funny, touching, exciting and was well shot and directed. Garfield was perfect. Can't wait to see what they do with a sequel.

Post #: 82
RE: Absolutely loved it,, far better than Raimi's first... - 5/7/2012 12:43:00 PM   
superdan

quote:

"You're a great kisser. I really like kissing you". Ernest Hemingway eat your heart out.

(in reply to Jamie_M)
Post #: 83
RE: Absolutely loved it,, far better than Raimi's first... - 5/7/2012 12:44:02 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

"You're a great kisser. I really like kissing you". Ernest Hemingway eat your heart out.

Oh yeah, that was something....although Garfield and Stone somehow saved it from being at AOTC level cringe...

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 84
RE: Absolutely loved it,, far better than Raimi's first... - 5/7/2012 12:49:31 PM   
superdan

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

Oh yeah, that was something....although Garfield and Stone somehow saved it from being at AOTC level cringe...

I honestly think that the cast stop this from being considered a complete turkey. They, and the fact that it's a Spiderman film, nearly paper over the cracks in a pretty poor film.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 85
RE: Absolutely loved it,, far better than Raimi's first... - 5/7/2012 2:57:13 PM   
Wild about Wilder

Thought this was a good film rather than a great one, weirdly it could've actually have done with being longer due to the fact it took so long to do the origin storyline part though I thought that was handled quite well, i'd say it was probably an action sequence short & I think also a villan shy as anyone who knows their Spidey history can tell you just like Kirk Langstrom (Manbat) in Batman Curt Connors has always been a good guy unlike his alter-ego.
BUT! the major saving grace has to be Garfield who totally inhiberted the part & made a far better Peter Parker/Spider-Man than Tobey Maguire ever did mainly in capturing the humor & the feel if ever there was perfect casting this would be it. (Take note DC G.L/Reynolds)
Sort of stuck in the middle 7/10 for film & 10/10 Garfield/Stone = 8/10 Total mark.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 86
RE: Absolutely loved it,, far better than Raimi's first... - 5/7/2012 3:52:30 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild about Wilder

Thought this was a good film rather than a great one, weirdly it could've actually have done with being longer due to the fact it took so long to do the origin storyline part though I thought that was handled quite well, i'd say it was probably an action sequence short & I think also a villan shy as anyone who knows their Spidey history can tell you just like Kirk Langstrom (Manbat) in Batman Curt Connors has always been a good guy unlike his alter-ego.
BUT! the major saving grace has to be Garfield who totally inhiberted the part & made a far better Peter Parker/Spider-Man than Tobey Maguire ever did mainly in capturing the humor & the feel if ever there was perfect casting this would be it. (Take note DC G.L/Reynolds)
Sort of stuck in the middle 7/10 for film & 10/10 Garfield/Stone = 8/10 Total mark.

I thought it was singularly lacking in humour, which was one of my biggest disappointments. I'm honestly struggling to remember if it even raised a smile from me.

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 87
RE: Absolutely loved it,, far better than Raimi's first... - 5/7/2012 5:28:12 PM   
musht

Saw this yesterday; agree with most people on here that I was disappointed. The editing has done it damage and as Rgirvan has said there is no sense of the impact Spidey has on New York and things happen merely because they're a necessity for the story and not because that's what the character would do. Connors downward spiral was way to fast and certain things were just glossed over, the Indian chap who The Lizard wanted dead and then completely forgot about, nothing happened with the Lizard SWAT team which was absolutely pointless in my view seeing as the Lizard was going to infect the whole city anyway. Spidey also took off the mask too much for my liking.

All that aside though, I liked Garfield and Stone, I thought the action was good even if the Lizard's CGI was a bit ropey and I think they've laid down solid foundations to build on.

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 88
RE: Absolutely loved it,, far better than Raimi's first... - 5/7/2012 6:55:12 PM   
Coyleone

I have a question...

SPOILERS AHEAD...........

Why did Spidey lose his ability to stick to things at the end when Connor had to help him up from hanging off the building?

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 89
RE: Absolutely loved it,, far better than Raimi's first... - 5/7/2012 9:00:50 PM   
efc91

Just got back from watching this. I really enjoyed it. Andrew Garfield makes for a much better Peter Parker than Toby Maguire and although it was similar to Raimi's Spider-man I did like that it took some different directions compared to most comic book films. I thought it was better than The Avengers.

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Passionless. Pointless. Unnecessary. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI