Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: worst spielberg movie?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: worst spielberg movie? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: worst spielberg movie? - 25/6/2012 1:38:11 PM   
Vitamin F

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spectator of Suicide

Close Encounters of the Third Kind, E.T., War of the Worlds and Indiana Jones 4.

Can't let this go without pressing for an explanation please...

(in reply to Spectator of Suicide)
Post #: 31
RE: worst spielberg movie? - 25/6/2012 1:44:13 PM   
Bloke from Oz

For me:

Temple of Doom
A.I. Artificial Intelligence

I haven't seen Empire of the Sun or Always (I may rectify that someday), and I couldn't be arsed with seeing the last Indiana Jones.

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/1342/jamesbondsia6.jpg

Post #: 32
RE: worst spielberg movie? - 25/6/2012 2:53:55 PM   
Happy Shrapnel

I like 1941 !
I just love how utterly bonkers it all is !
Makes me laugh out loud !

The Terminal is the worst, its got Catherine Zeta Jones in it.........enough said.

< Message edited by Happy Shrapnel -- 25/6/2012 2:54:26 PM >

In John Le Mesurier's last words........

' Its All Been Rather Lovely '

Happy Trails

(in reply to Bloke from Oz)
Post #: 33
RE: worst spielberg movie? - 25/6/2012 3:08:53 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bloke from Oz

Temple of Doom

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

Post #: 34
RE: worst spielberg movie? - 25/6/2012 3:10:04 PM   
Happy Shrapnel

I agree, Temple of Doom is my second fav Indy film.

In John Le Mesurier's last words........

' Its All Been Rather Lovely '

Happy Trails

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 35
RE: worst spielberg movie? - 25/6/2012 4:02:39 PM   
great_badir

I also love 1941 and Temple of Doom, but at the same time I completely understand why people don't.

I'm also, pleasantly, surprised to learn that I am not alone in my loathing for E.T.

Intrigued about the Close Encounters dislikes though...

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Happy Shrapnel)
Post #: 36
RE: worst spielberg movie? - 25/6/2012 5:30:08 PM   
DazDaMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bloke from Oz

For me:

Temple of Doom
A.I. Artificial Intelligence

I haven't seen Empire of the Sun or Always (I may rectify that someday), and I couldn't be arsed with seeing the last Indiana Jones.

Empire of the Sun is pretty decent, even if it has got Christian "You and I are finished, professionally" Bale in it.

It also has one of the best aerial sequences I have ever seen.

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

Post #: 37
RE: worst spielberg movie? - 26/6/2012 12:41:50 PM   
grucl

The color purple
Amistad

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 38
RE: worst spielberg movie? - 9/7/2012 3:59:06 PM   
ElephantBoy

Colour Purple has to be up there it displays Spielberg at his overly sentimental worse.

Thought Munich was very dull also, it was just too balanced for its own good and not engaging visually.

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 39
RE: worst spielberg movie? - 11/7/2012 10:48:58 PM   
rubadub

HOOK

Robin Williams!? Who's fucking idea was that?

The same daft twat who cast Julia Roberts.

The dayglo Lost Boys.

and that little fat black kid...

Looks great though.

(in reply to moviebuff73)
Post #: 40
RE: worst spielberg movie? - 12/7/2012 7:36:05 AM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

Am I the only one who has a soft spot for Hook?

Nope. I don't have a soft spot for it: I genuinely, unapologetically like it. Smee's me!

quote:

ORIGINAL: goldleader

All you people have lost your minds. Even below average Spielberg is a hundred times better than most films released.

I used to think similar. See below.

quote:

ORIGINAL: DazDaMan

Bloody hell, I never noticed that!

The fact you never noticed that the shadow was CGI (same here) makes me question whether it was a bad effect at all. If you never noticed, then that's a good thing. They succeeded in your case, and mine, in creating the desired effect. You shouldn't feel fooled: films are lies! Everything is constructed. Just because you didn't realise it was an effect, doesn't make it bad. It makes it a good effect.

Anyway, the worst Spielberg film by a country mile is War Horse. Up to that point even the poorer Spielbergs had merit (War of the Worlds, for instance, is poor, but enjoyable, save for that ending.) But War Horse isn't just bad Spielberg: it's bad cinema. When you watch something like Jaws or Raiders, it is very hard to reconcile that the same director would go on to make something as flabby and horrific as War Horse.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 41
RE: worst spielberg movie? - 12/7/2012 8:11:00 AM   
NCC1701A

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

Am I the only one who has a soft spot for Hook? The children are bloody awful and annoying (odd in a Spielberg film) but I think Williams is solid and the duo of Hoffman and Hoskins is great fun. I also just like saying Smee..

No I like as well just picked it up on Blu Ray.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 42
RE: worst spielberg movie? - 12/7/2012 9:45:59 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: rubadub

HOOK

Robin Williams!? Who's fucking idea was that?

The same daft twat who cast Julia Roberts.

The dayglo Lost Boys.

and that little fat black kid...

Looks great though.

Forgot Hook that has to be up there also

(in reply to rubadub)
Post #: 43
RE: worst spielberg movie? - 17/12/2012 1:10:53 PM   
AxlReznor

Seeing as I just posted about my favourite Spielberg movies on another thread, I thought I'd resurrect this one. There are quite a few listed here I haven't seen, but of the ones I have, my least favourite are:

Close Encounters Of The Third Kind - I just found it extremely boring
Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom - I can't understand why people think Crystal Skull is the worst Indy movie when this movie exists. Two thirds of the film's protagonists seem to be having a competition to see who could be the most annoying person, and aside from a couple of good set-pieces (the minecart chase, and the opening at Bar Obi-Wan) it's really just a mess, and an insult to the great fun adventure movies the other three are.
Hook - I used to like this as a kid, but I recently streamed it on Lovefilm and realised just how bad it is. With the exception of Hook and Smee, that is.
Amistad - Could have been a great movie, but it ends up just being boring.

Having said that, though, I do enjoy these a lot more than a lot of the shit that's out there.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 44
RE: worst spielberg movie? - 18/12/2012 8:27:32 AM   
Chronicle

Wouldn't say it's his worst film but for me War Horse was a major let down.. The story was good but the fact he used foreign actors and made them use these horrible forced accents to point out were they're from ruined everything for me. Americans..

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 45
RE: worst spielberg movie? - 18/12/2012 8:59:12 PM   
AnneSofieLoveMovies

A. I. Artificial intellegence is the worst in my opinion..

When you consider things like the stars, our affairs don't seem to matter very much, do they?

I'm not a prophet or a stone age man, just a mortal with potential of a superman.

(in reply to Vitamin F)
Post #: 46
RE: worst spielberg movie? - 2/1/2013 3:41:56 PM   
BagEnder

1941 and Hook - just ugh.

Post #: 47
RE: worst spielberg movie? - 2/1/2013 11:45:54 PM   
Mister Coe

For me, its a flip of a coin between HOOK and that utterly fuck-awful last Indiana Jones flick...

Say what now?

(in reply to BagEnder)
Post #: 48
RE: worst spielberg movie? - 3/1/2013 6:29:56 AM   
Joserabal

In Spielberg's Movies i like these movies:
E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
Saving Private Ryan
The Terminal
Hook

< Message edited by Joserabal -- 3/1/2013 6:31:17 AM >

Post #: 49
RE: worst spielberg movie? - 8/1/2013 3:56:41 PM   
JayDubya

As a Spielberg fan I can usually find something good in all his films, but speaking as a fan I would say Always is probably the weakest film he's done, mainly due to the fact it's effectively a remake and not a particularly inspired remake at that.

(in reply to Joserabal)
Post #: 50
RE: worst spielberg movie? - 9/1/2013 12:34:25 AM   
Mister Coe

quote:

ORIGINAL: JayDubya

As a Spielberg fan I can usually find something good in all his films, but speaking as a fan I would say Always is probably the weakest film he's done, mainly due to the fact it's effectively a remake and not a particularly inspired remake at that.

ALWAYS is not a Spielberg classic, I personally quite like it (Dreyfuss, Hunter and Goodman are excellent), but it's a hell of a lot better than GHOST, which came out a few months later and somehow sucked up all the love for a film about a dead guy hanging around his ex...

Say what now?

(in reply to JayDubya)
Post #: 51
RE: worst spielberg movie? - 9/1/2013 11:17:26 AM   
thedrin

I do not understand the affection for E.T.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 52
RE: worst spielberg movie? - 10/1/2013 11:15:11 PM   
ElephantBoy

Don't get the hate for War of the Worlds thought it was very solid indeed, certainly one of best recent ones. I am very interested to see Lincoln, am sure DDL is excellent once again, but what Spielberg does with it will be interesting.

Post #: 53
RE: worst spielberg movie? - 11/1/2013 4:56:19 AM   
siegfried

quote:

ORIGINAL: AnneSofieLoveMovies

Agreed. It's an absolute load of crap.
Never been able to understand why Spielberg is so revered. He's a competent director, but far from being one of the greats.

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

(in reply to AnneSofieLoveMovies)
Post #: 54
RE: worst spielberg movie? - 13/1/2013 4:04:36 AM   
Sutty

quote:

ORIGINAL: siegfried

quote:

ORIGINAL: AnneSofieLoveMovies

Agreed. It's an absolute load of crap.
Never been able to understand why Spielberg is so revered. He's a competent director, but far from being one of the greats.

Not one of the greats? Really!?

Duel, Jaws, E.T, Saving Private Ryan, Jurassic Park, Schindlers List, Minority Report, Close Encounters..., Raiders??

Come on. Calling him merely competent is ridiculous. Certainly such a statement should demand an explaination???

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 55
RE: worst spielberg movie? - 23/3/2013 2:20:30 PM   
Mr Gittes

Steven Spielberg is one of my very favourite directors, if not my number one. There are many reasons for this, but I guess above all it's the fact that, like no other director I've seen, he can perfectly balance the two things I love most about cinema: the ability to take you to places and show you things you've never seen, to leave you in wonder, to give you an escape; and to capture human emotion and drama. He finds the epic in the intimate and vice versa.

Now, for the past couple of years I've seen many people on the Internet say things like "he's far from one of the greats", "his best years are behind him" or that he's no good at all and he never was. And while this will always be a matter of opinion, a defence argument has been slowly building in my head the more and more I see these criticisms, and this thread seems like the ideal place to unleash at least a portion of it (I'd be here forever if I gave you the whole thing) and funnily enough this will deal with the movies in his career that are generally considered his low-points (naturally, given the nature of the thread).

Contrary to what you may think, I'll happily agree that Steven Spielberg is not a perfect director - nobody is - but I'll still defend him to my grave. Like Kubrick and Tarantino, he has made some low-par films but personally I wouldn't say he's made any all-out bad pictures. However, to avoid looking like what they call a "drooling fanboy", I'm going to give my honest and fair opinion about the most commonly mentioned movies so far in this thread. *Deep breath*

Hook - It's hard for me to be objective about this one because I loved it as a child, but I can certainly understand how people were disappointed at the time. "Spielberg is making a Peter Pan movie? Holy shit, this is going to be amazing!" And then the end result, despite the usual good visuals, still resembles children's theatre more than anything. But personally, I still don't consider it a bad movie (and I could watch Hook and Smee all day). Perhaps it's my "guilty pleasure" movie.

A.I. - There's no guilt about this one whatsoever; I completely love this movie. I remember everybody slagging it, then when I finally watched it on TV, I felt like I was taking crazy pills because I thought it was a masterpiece. A surprisingly wonderful melding of Kubrickian and Spielbergian cinema. And if I hear one more person say that the ending was Spielberg's idea, I'm gonna go out into the street and punch someone in the face out of sheer frustration.

Munich - Another one where I don't understand the hate at all. This is actually one of my favourite Spielberg movies and is always the first example I use when people either say that he no longer makes great movies or that he can never make an ambiguous film. But since everyone hates it, I tend to get shot down for that.

Indy 4 - Definitely one where I understand the hate, and it's certainly a disappointment, but I wouldn't say it's a bad movie. It has its moments. I'll admit that it's probably the least passionately made Spielberg movie I've ever seen. However, I do blame George Lucas more in this case since everyone else apparently loved Frank Darabont's script and wanted to go ahead with that one (oh, what could have been). I'm not saying that this excuses Spielberg by any means, but again I don't blame him nearly as much as I do the other Beard.

1941 - A mess, for sure. But, again, I wouldn't say it's a bad movie. I found it to be enjoyably bonkers, and you've gotta love the stuff with Slim Pickens.

Amistad, War Horse and The Terminal - I actually quite liked these three, but I can understand people's criticisms.

War Of The Worlds - Aside from its lacklustre opening, this is to Spielberg what The Game is to Fincher; they spend most of the movie gloriously kicking you in the balls, then they offer you flowers. Whether it be a book, movie, radio play, musical or a puppet show, War Of The Worlds will always have a relaitively crap ending. But to add insult to injury by having Robbie survive is flat out unforgivable. There are many Spielberg endings that people will bitch about and I'll defend, but you've got me on this one...just ridiculous...

Jurassic Park: The Lost World - The first and third acts are crap, I'll give you that. But the second act is just glorious Spielberg set-piece after glorious Spielberg set-piece (the baffling gymnastics moment aside) so I'd say that things even out to a fairly decent sequel, if you ask me.

The Temple Of Doom - My second favourite Indy movie. One of the most gloriously over-the-top movies I've seen, it's deliciously dark with great action, and it's just wonderful fun, in my opinion.

Well, that about wraps her all up, as The Stranger would say. No doubt I'll get torn to shreds for some of these points, but being a Spielberg fan, I'm used to that

*Sigh* Man, that felt good. If I smoked, I'd light one up right now.

< Message edited by Mr Gittes -- 16/4/2013 2:05:16 PM >

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 56
RE: worst spielberg movie? - 23/3/2013 5:41:33 PM   
thedrin

Yes, but what do you think is his worst film? Most people admire Spielberg's abilities as director. See the very first post in this thread, for example. There's an old thread somewhere in which one poster consistently tried to defend her indifference to Spielberg and many people were baffled by this.

I'm heartened to see that you haven't tried to defend E.T.

< Message edited by thedrin -- 23/3/2013 5:44:42 PM >

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 57
RE: worst spielberg movie? - 23/3/2013 7:34:45 PM   
Mr Gittes

Well, I didn't mean to neglect E.T. It's just that generally it's not considered one of his weakest. Quite the opposite in fact. Remember, I said that I was going to write about movies that were generally considered his career low-points. Mind you, I also later said that I'd comment on the most commonly mentioned movies so far in the thread, and E.T.'s been mentioned quite a lot, so I guess I should've included it. My apologies.

To be perfectly honest, I don't really know what I think of E.T. Directorially, I can see that it's a masterpiece, and there are scenes in it that I love (namely the home invasion, the ending and the silhouette), but there's something about it that hasn't really clicked with me yet. I'm considering buying the blu ray and giving it another watch, but at the moment I perfectly understand your criticisms for it and it's always good to see more varied opinions on a movie, especially in this case because for a while I was feeling rather guilty for preferring Minority Report, given E.T.'s much more popular status.

Anyway, personally I'd say his worst film is Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull. Or maybe Hook actually, because the more I think about it the more I get the feeling that if I were to watch it for the first time today, I probably wouldn't like it. But it was one of the movies that made my childhood, and just about everybody I know that's around my age say the exact same, so that's got to at least count for something. So, I'd say it's between those two.

Out of curiosity, do you agree with any of my defences in my previous post?

(in reply to thedrin)
Post #: 58
RE: worst spielberg movie? - 23/3/2013 9:44:43 PM   
Mister Coe

I found Lincoln quite boring. Daniel Day Lewis was great, as always, Sally Field was also terrific, and it was nicely directed, but that's the key word, for me. It was NICE. It didn't get my blood going, it didn't keep my eyes glued to the screen, it was just three hours of something that we were being told was WORTHY and YOU MUST LIKE IT.

It's not my least favourite SS movie. That would be shared between CRYSTAL SKULL and LOST WORLD (because they followed utter, total classics and turned out to be like direct-to-DVD sequels, bar a few select scenes) and HOOK (which might have been OK when you were 9 when you first saw it, but if you're defending it as an adult... jesus...)

Say what now?

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 59
RE: worst spielberg movie? - 23/3/2013 10:39:24 PM   
Art Decade

Gotta be War of the Worlds.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: worst spielberg movie? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI