Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Bye, bye Sky Movies, hello..........

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Bye, bye Sky Movies, hello.......... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bye, bye Sky Movies, hello.......... - 18/6/2012 6:38:30 PM   
Dirk Miggler

Taking a sledgehammer to the sky subscription and the first thing to get obliterated is the Sky Movies Pack. £16 worth of repeats, repeats, shite and more repeats.

Question is, where do I get my movie fix ? Love film ? Netflix ? Or is there are a better option ? Any advice would be appreciated and a rant about Sky Movies or just Sky in general more than welcome
Post #: 1
RE: Bye, bye Sky Movies, hello.......... - 18/6/2012 6:42:31 PM   
superdan

Sky Movies became a con as soon as they introduced Sky Box Office. What does my head in now is I'll be looking through the Anytime list and see a film I want to watch and think "Oh cool, I haven't seen that"... only to discover it's on the 'Sky Store' or some shit channel where you have to pay. Take it the fuck off the Anytime menu if I have to pay for it, you chiselling bastards.

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 2
RE: Bye, bye Sky Movies, hello.......... - 18/6/2012 6:42:41 PM   
Hood_Man

Apparently Lovefilm are planning to introduce HD streaming at done point. I've only heard that much though.

I'm mostly very happy with them, occasionally I get a disc that doesn't work but only very rarely.

Post #: 3
RE: Bye, bye Sky Movies, hello.......... - 18/6/2012 6:46:44 PM   
Valanya

I'm a netflix gal myself - never mind that they don't really have much content, the constant appearance of films like "Nude Nuns With Big Guns" on my suggested list causes constant amusement

And their tv series selection is pretty decent.

What came first, the music or the misery?

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 4
RE: Bye, bye Sky Movies, hello.......... - 18/6/2012 6:54:46 PM   
Dirk Miggler

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

Sky Movies became a con as soon as they introduced Sky Box Office. What does my head in now is I'll be looking through the Anytime list and see a film I want to watch and think "Oh cool, I haven't seen that"... only to discover it's on the 'Sky Store' or some shit channel where you have to pay. Take it the fuck off the Anytime menu if I have to pay for it, you chiselling bastards.

Amen brother, amen !!

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5
RE: Bye, bye Sky Movies, hello.......... - 18/6/2012 7:13:35 PM   
Dirk Miggler

Yeah I think Lovefilm may be the best approach £7.99 unlimited instant and by post, so the HD is covered with Blu-rays. I am on Xbox live though, so is by post necessary, wouldn't they would be available in HD ?

< Message edited by Dirk Miggler -- 18/6/2012 7:14:17 PM >

Post #: 6
RE: Bye, bye Sky Movies, hello.......... - 18/6/2012 7:35:01 PM   
moontheloon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Apparently Lovefilm are planning to introduce HD streaming at done point. I've only heard that much though.

I'm mostly very happy with them, occasionally I get a disc that doesn't work but only very rarely.

I've only had the one so far, but they were excellent. They posted out a replacement film immediately, before I'd posted the other one back, and actually gave me an additional film that month as well which seemed very nice of them. I've always been very impressed with their customer service (not something I can usually say about a company), and their range is good. The only problem is of course not getting to choose what you receive, but I find with a mix of the stuff I own and the stuff they send that I've always got something to watch at any given time.

I've heard good things about netflix, but I think I'll stick with lovefilm for now.

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between he does what he wants to do

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 7
RE: Bye, bye Sky Movies, hello.......... - 18/6/2012 7:38:14 PM   
Chief Wiggum

I can't fault lovefilm - I've only had one disc that didn't work and that was because they sent the 3d blu-ray instead of the standard one #firstworldproblems.

that and when you can get games as well, so it saves on shelling out on bobbins games too

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!

(in reply to moontheloon)
Post #: 8
RE: Bye, bye Sky Movies, hello.......... - 18/6/2012 10:02:05 PM   
Rhubarb

BLOCKBUSTER. [/sponsored post]

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Chief Wiggum)
Post #: 9
RE: Bye, bye Sky Movies, hello.......... - 19/6/2012 2:32:34 AM   
Spaldron

I kinda miss Lovefilm in a nostalgic way, since I started stealing films from my "American Aunt". If I had the money I'd probably go back.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 10
RE: Bye, bye Sky Movies, hello.......... - 19/6/2012 2:52:05 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

I kinda miss Lovefilm in a nostalgic way, since I started stealing films from my "American Aunt". If I had the money I'd probably go back.

Those were good days.

Art

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 11
RE: Bye, bye Sky Movies, hello.......... - 19/6/2012 9:22:42 AM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

They already have. Well, there's a limited section of stuff available in HD at any rate. I've watched a couple myself by now. Lovefilm are great for the most part, they've been a touch flaky the last few weeks but generally speaking their disc turnaround is insanely fast and the streaming service is improving all the time.

Sky Movies has gotten a new lease of life for me since I discovered I could unlock Anytime+ for free by connecting my sky box to my router. I now have a choice of 100's of films in HD. Result.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 12
RE: Bye, bye Sky Movies, hello.......... - 19/6/2012 2:11:48 PM   
st3veebee

Just started my Netflix month trial and at first was quite surprised a how little recent films they have. The TV selection is very good but for films you have to root around to find some old gems or lesser known recent flicks. Some of the older films are pretty average image quality as well...I guess it's worth the 7euro a month.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 13
RE: Bye, bye Sky Movies, hello.......... - 20/6/2012 12:26:47 AM   
Dirk Miggler

I used to be a member of love film about 4 years ago and the turnaround was always spot on, although new releases rarley came through the letterbox. £11.99 for unlimited Instant, blu rays and games as well, 2 discs a time, just seems like too good a great deal to pass up.

I did ring Sky today however and iv'e got movies for free for the next four months, I did say if it doesnt include box office and the DVD library bullshit its hardly free but the silence and change of conversation said it all.

Turns out if you have full sports pack, full movies is only £8 (checked bills and this is true), I still think the option with lovelim although £3 more pisses all over what sky offer with the films.

< Message edited by Dirk Miggler -- 20/6/2012 12:27:41 AM >

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 14
RE: Bye, bye Sky Movies, hello.......... - 20/6/2012 12:33:04 AM   
Saltire

We cancelled our Sky Movies at the weekend there, as we mainly have Sky for the sport. Theres plenty of choice available as to getting the latest films though so I wont be stuck for long I'm sure.

Post #: 15
RE: Bye, bye Sky Movies, hello.......... - 20/6/2012 1:16:56 AM   
paul_ie86

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

Just started my Netflix month trial and at first was quite surprised a how little recent films they have. The TV selection is very good but for films you have to root around to find some old gems or lesser known recent flicks. Some of the older films are pretty average image quality as well...I guess it's worth the 7euro a month.

PM

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 16
RE: Bye, bye Sky Movies, hello.......... - 20/6/2012 10:00:02 AM   
st3veebee

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul_ie86

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

PM

Cheers for that!

Latest Films:

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 17
RE: Bye, bye Sky Movies, hello.......... - 20/6/2012 10:08:48 AM   
elab49

My experience.

Like St3veebee, Netflix needs to up it's game. Very little new, not that much depth to the old in movie terms. Really only worth it for people who've missed a couple of TV shows but if you have the Sky sub that'd probably negate that - you'd be uptodate to where Netflix are with most. Unless you like Teen Moms

Lovefilm online - much better with new films, film catalogue several times larger although it includes a lot of 'free' films you can find elsewhere on the net and you need to pay for the newer films.

Tesco/Lovefilm rental - turnaround has improved a little in the last year (before that it got very slow). Depending on your rental list it can be slow to get newer films but the back catalogue is superb.

Blockbuster rental - the best for getting new releases very quickly although turnaround service can be around 4 days.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 18
RE: Bye, bye Sky Movies, hello.......... - 20/6/2012 10:44:57 AM   
st3veebee

Maybe I'm just set in my ways..but I really do love my routine of heading to HMV or wherever and spending time scanning throught the DVD/BluRay selection and finding something on offer or a film I have wanted for ages. There is something about the physical copy I prefer..even when it makes so much more sense to go with Netflix/SKy movies etc.

Latest Films:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Bye, bye Sky Movies, hello.......... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI