Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Retro British Children's Comics

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> Retro British Children's Comics Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Retro British Children's Comics - 18/6/2012 2:10:39 AM   
Shifty Bench

Good evening. Growing up, I used to love comics but I wasn't really into any with superheroes. In fact, this was my favourite comic superhero:

Yes, I'm talking about British comics for kids. Now, I was born in '76, so growing up in the 80s and early 90s, I would buy at least 5 comics a week. Beano, Dandy, Buster, Beezer, Oink, Topper,Hoot, Whizzer & Chips as well as Marvel UK's output (mostly based on shows like Real Ghostbusters and Muppet Babies) are titles I would buy on a regular basis. I am now 35 and for the past 5 years I have been searching for comics I used to read when I was a kid. I've bought many on Ebay and at car boot sales, not just of the weekly comics but also Summer Specials, Comic Libraries and Annuals. Here are some pictures of part of my collection-

Dandys and Beanos dated 1987-1989

Beezers and Toppers, various years in the 80s

Various Summer and Holiday specials

Buster comics various years from the80s/early 90s

So, anyone else a fan? Anyone here have any of their own? What are your favourite characters, stories etc? Did anyone buy Summer or Holiday specials or Marvel UK comics? No adult comics like Viz please, we're talking about ones aimed at children

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 18/6/2012 7:25:28 AM >

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)
Post #: 1
RE: Retro British Children's Comics - 18/6/2012 5:12:41 AM   
Shifty Bench

I also used to love Marvel UK's contribution to comics. They would mostly reprint US comics based on film and TV properties. I haven't been able to get as many of those today but I am working on it. One of the best things about my collection is the entire run of Indiana Jones comics from the mid-80s. As well as housing adaptations of the first two Indy films (but in chronological order, with Temple of Doom featuring in issues 1-3 and Raiders in 7-9), they also featured brand new stories of the man with the whip.

Only 11 issues were published between October 1984 and August 1985 when the comic folded. An advert in the inside back cover of the final issue proudly announced that Indy would be joining the Spider-man comic, featuring alongside Spider-man (obviously), The Incredible Hulk, Fraggle Rock and, most surprising of all, The Dukes of Hazzard! Annoyingly, the last story of the comic ends on a cliffhanger but overall, the collection is good. Some of the drawings are excellent, really capturing Harrison Fords rugged looks well, while others look as though it could be anyone wearing a hat and cracking a whip. Anyway, I remember having a couple of these when I was younger as I was an Indy fan. I also had the full movie adaptation of Last Crusade, which I bought in London after seeing the film in the cinema. Good times.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 2
RE: Retro British Children's Comics - 18/6/2012 6:35:13 AM   
sanchia

I used to get all the comics when I was young which actually instilled a love of reading in me. If memory serves at one point I used to regularly get Topper, Beano, Nutty, Dandy, Whizzer & Chips, Buster, Wow, Oink, Whoopee and a few others which slip my mind at this moment. I have a shed load of the annuals in my parents loft. I remember once writing to Tom Paterson to inform I wanted to be a comic artist when I grew up and the great man himself sent me an original page of Sweeney Toddler which I still have along with the letter he wrote me (I always meant to write back and thank him and actually tried to find an address to send a belated thank you to a few years ago but to no avail) I also have a page of Robert and his Robot which I purchased a few years back.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 3
RE: Retro British Children's Comics - 18/6/2012 7:16:44 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia
I remember once writing to Tom Paterson to inform I wanted to be a comic artist when I grew up and the great man himself sent me an original page of Sweeney Toddler which I still have along with the letter he wrote me

That is bloody awesome! Sweeny Toddler was one of my favourites growing up.

Do you remember Hoot? It's the comic that Cuddles appeared in between Nutty and Dandy (where he teamed up with Dimples). I have a few of them-

As a comic, it was quite light. It only had 16 pages (Dandy and Beano had 20 each whereas Topper and Beezer had 24 each). And the stories weren't great (Cuddles was actually the best). Looking back at it, I can see why it didn't really last long.

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 18/6/2012 7:25:05 AM >

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 4
RE: Retro British Children's Comics - 18/6/2012 7:18:00 AM   
sanchia

I have to admit that was the one comic I never had when growing up.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 5
RE: Retro British Children's Comics - 18/6/2012 7:30:17 AM   
Shifty Bench

It wasn't anything special and it only ran for a year from '85-'86 and 53 issues. I found a Wiki page for it- click. Cuddles, Spotted Dick and Polar Blair were the stories that remained when it merged with Dandy.

And I should admit that I never bought Nutty when I was a kid but I did read some that my friend had. I always thought it was weird that Bananaman started off with a black mask and Eric used to be bald....

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 18/6/2012 7:32:43 AM >

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 6
RE: Retro British Children's Comics - 18/6/2012 7:43:47 AM   
Chojin

I have huge box loads of Beano and Dandy comics from my youth. my reading years were between '93 and '95 for 2-3 years. I have the complete runs for these years somewhere in my parents attic as well as 20+ annuals, summer specials and those smaller self contained story books you used to be able to get (A5 in size?). I used to love Beano and it's spin off stories and religiously purchased the issues each week and any other spin offs I could get. My parents still recite a tale where a friend came round and got my Beanos out of order and I kicked off.....

I didn't rate Dandy as much as I preferred the characters from Beano. It also helped a lot of school mates also read the comic weekly which helped the reading become a trend. I'll never forget the first issue my grandad bought for me when I asked him to get me something to read over the weekend and I must have read it back to back a few times that weekend.

I can't say i would find any enjoyment reading them now as my tastes have changed, but it's a great title to get kids reading.

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 7
RE: Retro British Children's Comics - 18/6/2012 8:17:52 AM   
Sleazy

Well Marvel UK were responsible for the very best Transformers story arcs, so much so that the man responsible (Simon Furman) is now considered the guru for TF and is usually the writer on the major US series.

For the kind of comics you are posting tho, I used to love Beano, Dandy, Beezer, Whizzer & Chips, Topper etc. I was also a big fan of a horror comic called Scream (anyone remember that?)

I'm suprised no has mentioned:

Gamertag: Sleazycome

PSN ID: Sleazytoon

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 8
RE: Retro British Children's Comics - 18/6/2012 8:27:01 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sleazy

Well Marvel UK were responsible for the very best Transformers story arcs, so much so that the man responsible (Simon Furman) is now considered the guru for TF and is usually the writer on the major US series.

For the kind of comics you are posting tho, I used to love Beano, Dandy, Beezer, Whizzer & Chips, Topper etc. I was also a big fan of a horror comic called Scream (anyone remember that?)

I mentioned Marvel UK and will mention them again, soon, I just didn't want to post all my pics at one. I used to get Transformers and Action Force (GI Joe) comics. I do remember Scream, it is one I've been trying to get for years but can never afford it.

quote:

I'm suprised no has mentioned:

Both myself and Sanchia did mention it . I only have 2 Summer Specials (in which a young Charlie Brooker contributed strips to) and an Annual. I don't yet possess any of the actual comics.

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 9
RE: Retro British Children's Comics - 18/6/2012 8:33:32 AM   
rawlinson

Shifty, you ever see this site?

http://enterthestory.com/comics/badtime_books.html

All about the Monster Fun Badtime Bedtime Books.

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 10
RE: Retro British Children's Comics - 18/6/2012 10:40:56 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

Good evening. Growing up, I used to love comics but I wasn't really into any with superheroes. In fact, this was my favourite comic superhero:

Yes, I'm talking about British comics for kids. Now, I was born in '76, so growing up in the 80s and early 90s, I would buy at least 5 comics a week. Beano, Dandy, Buster, Beezer, Oink, Topper,Hoot, Whizzer & Chips as well as Marvel UK's output (mostly based on shows like Real Ghostbusters and Muppet Babies) are titles I would buy on a regular basis. I am now 35 and for the past 5 years I have been searching for comics I used to read when I was a kid. I've bought many on Ebay and at car boot sales, not just of the weekly comics but also Summer Specials, Comic Libraries and Annuals. Here are some pictures of part of my collection-

Dandys and Beanos dated 1987-1989

Beezers and Toppers, various years in the 80s

Various Summer and Holiday specials

Buster comics various years from the80s/early 90s

So, anyone else a fan? Anyone here have any of their own? What are your favourite characters, stories etc? Did anyone buy Summer or Holiday specials or Marvel UK comics? No adult comics like Viz please, we're talking about ones aimed at children

Wow! I remember watching Bananaman as a kid, and I would gulp down all those bloody banana's hoping that I too would become Banana-Man!
Bring's back some good memories!

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

Post #: 11
RE: Retro British Children's Comics - 18/6/2012 11:10:52 AM   
kata

I used to get the Beano and Dandy religiously. Wish I would have kept them all, got a feeling my Mum chucked them all out. She did stuff like that...

Was a good day when you got a free Highland Toffee bar on the front of the Beano.

quote:

From August 2007 until October 2010, it was rebranded as Dandy Xtreme.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dandy

< Message edited by kata -- 18/6/2012 11:16:12 AM >

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

Post #: 12
RE: Retro British Children's Comics - 18/6/2012 2:03:42 PM   
sharkboy

I never really did the Beano & dandy school of comics.  For me, at least until 2000AD appeared, it was always this lot:

Then along came 2000 AD and my tastes became more sci-fi centred

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 13
RE: Retro British Children's Comics - 18/6/2012 2:11:57 PM   
Harry Tuttle

I used to get Beano, Dandy, Topper, Beezer, Whizzer & Chips, Buster, Bananaman, Oink, Whoopee and Eagle (and probably a couple of others). I had all the Annuals for each of them from about 1981 to 1992 (where applicable) till my mum gave them away (I still haven't forgiven her, she also gave away all my old He-Man and M.A.S.K. toys at the same time). I also had about 3 bin bags full of the pocket book specials as well.

I didn't really get into 2000AD, Marvel and DC till I hit my teens (with Marvel and DC being in my late teens).

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 14
RE: Retro British Children's Comics - 18/6/2012 6:32:06 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

Shifty, you ever see this site?

http://enterthestory.com/comics/badtime_books.html

All about the Monster Fun Badtime Bedtime Books.

I hadn't seen that before. Cool, thanks Rawls

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kata
I used to get the Beano and Dandy religiously. Wish I would have kept them all, got a feeling my Mum chucked them all out. She did stuff like that...

Yeah, my mum chucked all of my comics out too, which is why I am buying as many as I can again. I'll never get them all though. And yeah, Dandy Xtreme really happened, it became a magazine with articles and stuff. And the Beano was Beano Max for a while, too.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 15
RE: Retro British Children's Comics - 18/6/2012 6:36:36 PM   
sanchia

My meagre collection of art from the good old days.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 16
RE: Retro British Children's Comics - 18/6/2012 7:52:46 PM   
Shifty Bench

Awesome

Lew Stringer is great. For those who don't know, he has a blog where he talks about comics old and new- http://lewstringer.blogspot.co.uk/

Speaking of Stringer, here are the Oink Holiday Specials I have-

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 17
RE: Retro British Children's Comics - 18/6/2012 8:08:06 PM   
sanchia

I've just found out that Tom Paterson still lives at the same address in Musselburgh as he did when he sent me the Sweeny Toddler strip. Thank you letter soon to be on the way.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 18/6/2012 8:09:22 PM >

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 18
RE: Retro British Children's Comics - 18/6/2012 8:23:14 PM   
Shifty Bench

Aww, that's nice. Tell him he has fans on Empire

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 5/8/2012 11:23:31 PM >

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 19
RE: Retro British Children's Comics - 18/6/2012 8:43:15 PM   
Shifty Bench

How about some puzzles by Lew Stringer for the Oink Holiday Special 1987?

Post #: 20
RE: Retro British Children's Comics - 19/6/2012 4:32:07 AM   
Shifty Bench

And here is what I was talking about earlier when I said the original Bananaman originally had a black mask and Eric was bald. This is from issue 134 of Nutty from September 1982. It was drawn by the late John Geering who also drew my favourite characters in Sparky (and Topper), Puss N Boots.

Sorry about the size, I've tried to resize them but I can't post them after I have done that, if anyone has any advice regarding this- shoot me a PM

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 19/6/2012 4:49:19 AM >

Post #: 21
RE: Retro British Children's Comics - 19/6/2012 5:44:25 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I never used to get the comics on a weekly basis but I did get the annuals. Dandy, Beano, Buster, Topper, Beezer, Whizzer and Chips, Bananaman, Cor, The Bash Street Kids, Between them all I must've had about 150. I used to trawl second and bookshops for them. Got rid of them all about 10 years ago, but I still get the Dandy and Beano collections that come out every year.

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 19/6/2012 5:45:23 AM >

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

Post #: 22
RE: Retro British Children's Comics - 19/6/2012 6:42:48 AM   
Shifty Bench

Yeah. I've got a few annuals too, I like visiting charity shops just in the off chance that I'll find one or two. And I have a few of the compilations, too. My favourite is the one from the 89s as those are the stories I remember most. Anyone remember a major story from the Beano in 1986 when Gnasher went missing? It went on for two months or so and even made the news.

It transpired that he was actually just a dirty stop-out and he was off fathering some puppies, This was the origin of Gnipper, son of Gnasher, who became a character in the comic for years.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 23
RE: Retro British Children's Comics - 19/6/2012 9:10:04 AM   
Harry Tuttle

Yeah, the Who Gnicked Gnasher storyline was great. I seem to remember everyone was a suspect including Sheikh billionaires .

I think I might still have the Beano and Dandy 50 Years Young Annual somewhere in my mum's house. I recall reading it after she'd thrown out all the other stuff. Man, I wish she hadn't thrown out all the rest, this thread has got me well in the mood for trawling through them .

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Post #: 24
RE: Retro British Children's Comics - 19/6/2012 2:31:15 PM   
Shifty Bench

Sorry dude.

There are ways of reading them online, you know

Post #: 25
RE: Retro British Children's Comics - 19/6/2012 5:47:09 PM   
sanchia

Anyone remember this handsome chap?

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 26
RE: Retro British Children's Comics - 19/6/2012 8:08:05 PM   
Shifty Bench

I have no idea who that is

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 27
RE: Retro British Children's Comics - 19/6/2012 8:17:32 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

Anyone remember this handsome chap?

Doomlord innit.

Written by Alan Grant and John Wagner and probably my favourite strip in The Eagle.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 19/6/2012 8:18:28 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 28
RE: Retro British Children's Comics - 19/6/2012 8:24:03 PM   
Shifty Bench

Ah, The Eagle. I wasn't a fan. I did read some but only for the Thirteenth Floor strip that transferred there when Scream gone banned.

Post #: 29
RE: Retro British Children's Comics - 19/6/2012 8:25:33 PM   
sanchia

Until they brought in Doomlord Jr.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> Retro British Children's Comics Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI