Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

McKinley High School...

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> McKinley High School... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
McKinley High School... - 17/6/2012 7:14:41 PM   
will1000

Whilst watching Drillbit Taylor on Film4, the name 'McKinley High School' struck a chord with me. I recognised it from elsewhere. One Google search later and it turns out it was in The Wonder Years, Freaks & Geeks, Final Destination 3 and Glee. This got me wondering...are there any other fictional locations or characters that crop up in otherwise unrelated films?

I realise that Drillbit Taylor has the finger prints of Judd Apatow all over it, which may account for the Freaks & Geeks connection.
Post #: 1
RE: McKinley High School... - 17/6/2012 9:58:01 PM   
fuzzy

Oceanic Airlines pop up in hell of a lot of things, and not just JJ Abrahams stuff.

As far as characters, The Duke brothers from Trading Places turned up in Coming to America.

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 2
RE: McKinley High School... - 17/6/2012 11:07:50 PM   
Darth Marenghi

Kill Bill is quite a good one for this - Hattori Hanzo is the descendant of the character of the same name from the Japanese TV show Shadow Warriors, and played by the same actor. Pai Mei is the same character from 70s kung fu film Clan of the White Lotus.

< Message edited by Darth Marenghi -- 17/6/2012 11:08:15 PM >

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 3
RE: McKinley High School... - 17/6/2012 11:58:52 PM   
sharkboy

Michael Keaton played Detective Ray Nicolette in Jackie Brown, and later had a cameo in Out Of Sight as the same character.

In teen angst fave SFW, the couple in the elevator (played by Bill Murray and Andi McDowell) are called Phil and Rita Connors. Phil Connors was Murray's character in Groundhog Day, in which he tried to win the heart of Rita, played by Andi McDowell.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 4
RE: McKinley High School... - 18/6/2012 12:15:36 AM   
Shifty Bench

Dan Aykroyd briefly plays Ray Stantz from Ghostbusters in Casper. Except he has a moustache.

(I know that's not exactly what the OP asked for, but still.....)

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 18/6/2012 12:16:26 AM >

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 5
RE: McKinley High School... - 18/6/2012 1:20:27 AM   
hozay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

Kill Bill is quite a good one for this - Hattori Hanzo is the descendant of the character of the same name from the Japanese TV show Shadow Warriors, and played by the same actor. Pai Mei is the same character from 70s kung fu film Clan of the White Lotus.

Hattori Hanzo was a real person, one of Japan's most famous Samurai and he's been portrayed in many Japanese films and literature. I think Tarantino borrowed him from a few old films as he did with other characters and scenes in Kill Bill.

Someone told me recently (on here ??) about the same newspaper appearing in lots of movies. I just did a quick search. It's a lot more than I thought.
http://izismile.com/2010/06/04/newspapers_in_tv_shows_13_pics.html

Oh and Volvo station wagons (estates ?) seem to pop up in dozens of films, being driven by the lead character.

< Message edited by hozay -- 18/6/2012 1:37:47 AM >

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 6
RE: McKinley High School... - 18/6/2012 4:01:48 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: fuzzy

Oceanic Airlines pop up in hell of a lot of things, and not just JJ Abrahams stuff.

As far as characters, The Duke brothers from Trading Places turned up in Coming to America.

He's still JJ Abrams. He needs to attempt to sacrifice his son and have God stop him and stuff before he becomes JJ Abrahams.

/religioushumour

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 7
RE: McKinley High School... - 18/6/2012 4:09:58 PM   
Discodez

Tarantino does this kind of thing quite a lot from film to film apparently. best example I can remember is Red Apple cigarettes; they appear a lot in Pulp Fiction (Bruce Willis, Tim Roth and Uma Thurman's charatcers all smoke them) and in Kill BIll when "the Bride" is walking through (one of the) Airport(s) she passes a large advertising board for Red Apple Cigarettes.

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 8
RE: McKinley High School... - 18/6/2012 5:30:04 PM   
Whistler

Tarantino does have loads of ongoing references and characters in his movies - another being Earl McGraw - but I think the point of the thread was more about finding connections between completely unrelated films.

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 9
RE: McKinley High School... - 18/6/2012 9:07:30 PM   
fuzzy

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: fuzzy

He's still JJ Abrams. He needs to attempt to sacrifice his son and have God stop him and stuff before he becomes JJ Abrahams.

/religioushumour

The Lord doth smite me with predictive text.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 10
RE: McKinley High School... - 19/6/2012 11:12:07 AM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: Discodez

Tarantino does this kind of thing quite a lot from film to film apparently. best example I can remember is Red Apple cigarettes; they appear a lot in Pulp Fiction (Bruce Willis, Tim Roth and Uma Thurman's charatcers all smoke them) and in Kill BIll when "the Bride" is walking through (one of the) Airport(s) she passes a large advertising board for Red Apple Cigarettes.

He does it with cereal boxes too.

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 11
RE: McKinley High School... - 19/6/2012 12:41:17 PM   
Discodez

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

Tarantino does have loads of ongoing references and characters in his movies - another being Earl McGraw - but I think the point of the thread was more about finding connections between completely unrelated films.

That being the case, I don't think anyone has found any yet except for the original poster

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 12
RE: McKinley High School... - 19/6/2012 7:53:23 PM   
will1000

Perhaps it is the only one! Perhaps they are all an homage to The Wonder Years?!

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 13
RE: McKinley High School... - 19/6/2012 8:17:27 PM   
Shifty Bench

I'm sure there's more. Most of John Hughes' stuff is set in Shermer despite them not actually being related. And almost every single film based on a Stephen King book is based in the fictional Castle Rock, Maine.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 14
RE: McKinley High School... - 20/6/2012 9:37:52 AM   
Rebenectomy

quote:

ORIGINAL: will1000

Perhaps it is the only one! Perhaps they are all an homage to The Wonder Years?!

Or to William McKinley, the 25th President. I don't think it's a link, either intentional or otherwise that a couple of fictional schools bare that name, as quite a few genuine schools do too.

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 15
RE: McKinley High School... - 24/6/2012 11:33:15 PM   
DazDaMan

Isn't the name of the courier company on the lorry in DIE HARD used in something else as well...? I can't remember its name off the top of my head, mind - "Pacific Courier" or something?

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 16
RE: McKinley High School... - 25/6/2012 11:15:27 AM   
BudBaxter

During the armored car chase in Lethal Weapon 3, they pass Joe Hallenbeck's car from The Last Boy Scout.

How's that for a tenuous link?

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 17
RE: McKinley High School... - 1/7/2012 12:39:13 AM   
fuzzy

Although the character has a different name, R Lee Ermey essentially plays the ghost of his drill Sgt. chatacter from Full Metal Jacket in Peter Jackson's The Frightners.

(in reply to BudBaxter)
Post #: 18
RE: McKinley High School... - 1/7/2012 1:15:30 PM   
Bloke from Oz

quote:

ORIGINAL: DazDaMan

Isn't the name of the courier company on the lorry in DIE HARD used in something else as well...? I can't remember its name off the top of my head, mind - "Pacific Courier" or something?

Yes, you're right - it's on the plane which blows up with the bus towards the end of Speed.

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/1342/jamesbondsia6.jpg

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 19
RE: McKinley High School... - 12/7/2012 12:22:23 PM   
Bloke from Oz

Slightly off-topic, but I find a neat game where you have to guess the names of the movies which a number of businesses appear in (24 in all):

http://www.sporcle.com/games/Hejman/medicated_rust_eze

I managed 21 out of 24.

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/1342/jamesbondsia6.jpg

(in reply to Bloke from Oz)
Post #: 20
RE: McKinley High School... - 12/7/2012 3:28:56 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bloke from Oz

Slightly off-topic, but I find a neat game where you have to guess the names of the movies which a number of businesses appear in (24 in all):

http://www.sporcle.com/games/Hejman/medicated_rust_eze

I managed 21 out of 24.

Haven't used Sporcle in ages! I got 18 out of 24.

(in reply to Bloke from Oz)
Post #: 21
RE: McKinley High School... - 12/7/2012 10:28:42 PM   
BudBaxter

23/24 (Virtucon stumped me!)

Back on topic:

The tanker truck that gets sucked into the twister are the end of, erm, Twister is marked 'Benthic Petroleum', which was the company Ed Harris & chums work for in The Abyss.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> McKinley High School... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI