The Intouchables

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema >> The Intouchables Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Intouchables - 17/6/2012 5:04:19 PM   
Sway

Nope, not a parody of The Untouchables as I initially thought when I read the title of a post on reddit!

Trailer - clickety!

I almost wrote the trailer off very early on, until I realised it was Francois Cluzet, who stars in one of my all time favourite films - Ne Le Dis a Personne.

According to wikipedia (so stats to be taken with a pinch of salt, I guess) -

"With 20 million admissions out of France as of May 20th 2012 it is, for the moment, the second most successful French movie shot in French since at least 1994 behind Amélie and its 23 million admission."

and

"On 20 March 2012 The Intouchables became the highest-grossing movie in a language other than English with $281 million. It broke the previous record set by the Japanese film Spirited Away ($274.9 million)."

So, has anybody here seen it? I would be really interested to hear what people think. The trailer for me had me torn between 'it looks like sentimental, cliched crap' and 'this could actually be quite good', given that I burst out laughing at the spoon/eye moment.

I'd love to get hold of it too, but it doesn't look like it's been released in the UK at all, and on amazon all I can find are French copies with no English subtitles.

Edit: Just found this while trying to find a UK release date - http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a373937/colin-firth-paul-feig-in-talks-for-intouchables-remake.html Why!??!

< Message edited by Sway -- 17/6/2012 5:26:34 PM >

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

Post #: 1
RE: The Intouchables - 10/8/2012 10:39:01 AM   
Timon

Well, it's been retitled as 'Untouchable' for its UK release and comes out on 21 September.

And the remake question is simple to answer - more people will see it.

But yes, it looks great.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 2
RE: The Intouchables - 10/8/2012 1:33:18 PM   
Deviation

It's been insanely popular though. This made some 360 million WW, that's more than most movies American or British movies of its kind have ever done.

That's more money than some Hollywood blockbusters.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 3
RE: The Intouchables - 13/8/2012 1:34:36 PM   
Timon

I know. Purely from a financial point of view, it's made crazy money!

Can't wait to see it - especially as a remake has already been announced with Colin Firth as the paralysed aristocrat.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 4
RE: The Intouchables - 13/8/2012 3:16:09 PM   
Deviation

I can't see it making more money than the original. The original is still going well in Germany and was the cultural event of the year in France. I doubt it will reach those heights.

I want to see what minority they will put instead of Omar Sy though.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 5
RE: The Intouchables - 13/8/2012 3:31:52 PM   
Timon

Oh, I'm sure the remake will making stonking money stateside - it'll be like King's Speech meets The Blind Side!

I think they should get Kayvan Novak to star opposite Colin Firth!

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 6
RE: The Intouchables - 13/8/2012 5:26:30 PM   
Deviation

I just discovered who Novak is. He was in Four Lions so he's awesome.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 7
RE: The Intouchables - 26/8/2012 8:17:32 PM   
frankie

Cineworld are doing one of their under-advertised preview screenings of this for Unlimited card holders only (+ an extra ticket for a guest) - 9th September.

It looked so great I couldn't wait so have watched a naughty copy online - and it is amazing.
I really can't wait to see it on the big screen with my partner - she is going to love it.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 8
RE: The Intouchables - 28/8/2012 6:21:29 PM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: frankie

Cineworld are doing one of their under-advertised preview screenings of this for Unlimited card holders only (+ an extra ticket for a guest) - 9th September.

It looked so great I couldn't wait so have watched a naughty copy online - and it is amazing.
I really can't wait to see it on the big screen with my partner - she is going to love it.

I have to admit that I tried to get hold of it in June when I posted this thread but the only ones I could find were unsubtitled.

The kind chap Timon posted the cineworld stuff on my facebook alerting me to the advanced tickets. Went to the cinema and bumped into my buddy that works there and he checked and told me they weren't available yet. Marketing had jumped the gun.

Picked up a couple last night though, so very excited about this. I really, really like Francois Cluzet.

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to frankie)
Post #: 9
RE: The Intouchables - 31/8/2012 6:18:02 PM   
frankie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: frankie

I have to admit that I tried to get hold of it in June when I posted this thread but the only ones I could find were unsubtitled.

The kind chap Timon posted the cineworld stuff on my facebook alerting me to the advanced tickets. Went to the cinema and bumped into my buddy that works there and he checked and told me they weren't available yet. Marketing had jumped the gun.

Picked up a couple last night though, so very excited about this. I really, really like Francois Cluzet.

Yeah, had my tickets for a couple of weeks now.
Massively disappointed in Empire's review though (and Total Film's) - I feel they are missing the point of the film big time and have got bogged down in political correctness - Something the film is about actually.

I hope you enjoy it for what it is as much as I did.

A golden future awaits you. Just kidding.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 10
RE: The Intouchables - 9/9/2012 9:29:46 PM   
Sway

I've not found Empire's review of it online, what did they say about it?

Anyway I just watched it this evening and I really enjoyed it. Frankie, you mentioned Empire got bogged down in the political correctness of the whole thing, which is ashame. There were wildly inappropriate things said or done during the film, but within a realistic context. It's human nature to try and find the humour in difficult situations, and it won't be the first or last time that friends make crude or inappropriate remarks about other friends shortcomings or flaws - obviously without any intended malice behind it. I should point out though that I'm not trying to say Philippe's situation is a shortcoming or flaw, that's far too flippant, but just trying to convey the point that any inappropriateness within the film wasn't just gratuitous political incorrectness, it had its place.

The film is squarely based on the growing relationship between Philippe and Driss and I loved seeing it develop. It made me laugh, smile, cringe, cry with laughter... and so on. I said it already but I love Cluzet - the emotion he is able to convey on his face is something that realy struck me when I first saw Tell No One.

My only problem with the film is actually that I found the direction and pacing a bit off, as well as feeling the characters themselves weren't quite developed enough as individuals. Philippe's background was gradually sprinkled into the story, and Driss' homelife seemed to be a token gesture at showing why he is like he is. But the characterisation was lacking slightly. As a pair, the characters worked brilliantly, however independently they felt a little empty.

However, it's kind of a small criticism since as I said the film is all about the friendship, and I really enjoyed it.

< Message edited by Sway -- 9/9/2012 9:33:44 PM >

(in reply to frankie)
Post #: 11
RE: The Intouchables - 10/9/2012 8:44:32 PM   
frankie

Went to a preview showing last night. I really enjoyed it, my partner was amazed by it. It's earnt me some brownie points for choosing it. She was in floods of tears by the end.

One thing I noticed. In this UK cinemas version the subtitles were slightly different to the version I'd seen online. At times this meant some of the humour was a bit lost.
For example: In the version about to released at uk cinemas there is a scene where Phillipe shows Driss that he has a disability in the interview and Driss says "thats a bummer"
But in the version I saw previously Driss says "OK, so that's a bit annoying" which is much more cutting, if not slightly Gervais-like.
But overall I still feel it has potential to impress a large UK audience., despite the poor reviews it has received so far. Hope so.

Sway - Empires review doesn't appear to be online yet but it's in the mag. Dont want to spoil the star rating here but it's not good.
Empires main gripe is "racial stereotyping". I don't know what your opinion is but I didnt think this was a major issue at all though and I wondered if they had more of a problem with it because it has grossed such high numbers in France.

A golden future awaits you. Just kidding.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema >> The Intouchables Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI