Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

What Blu-Rays should I purchase?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> What Blu-Rays should I purchase? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What Blu-Rays should I purchase? - 16/6/2012 11:02:55 PM   
Kubrickrube

Hello people

I'm looking for some help here. I've owned a nice Blu-Ray plater for a couple of months now but I'm looking for recommendations of the best movies/tv shows to purchase.

I'm into all the extras and obviously looking for a good picture and sound. Please note that my player isn't multi region. Hit me up and I'll be thankful. :)

Recommendations at the ready..........

You came to me like a dream
The kind that always leaves
Post #: 1
RE: What Blu-Rays should I purchase? - 17/6/2012 5:21:41 PM   
Kubrickrube

Wow! I'm overcome with the sheer response I've received.

(in reply to Kubrickrube)
Post #: 2
RE: What Blu-Rays should I purchase? - 17/6/2012 5:29:25 PM   
DancingClown

Well...what films do you like, sir?

And when you say recommendations are you referring to discs with the best picture/extras? Or the best films in themselves? Because surely only you can be the judge of what films you'd like to get on blu-ray in that regard? Loads of websites out there for information.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

Post #: 3
RE: What Blu-Rays should I purchase? - 17/6/2012 6:01:02 PM   
Kubrickrube

I'm talking about best all round Blu-Rays. I don't want a Blu-Ray with excellent picture and extras if the film is bad. I do know what movies I'd ideally buy but it's more all round suggestions that I'm looking for.

I'm into all kinds of genres but mostly indie, horror, Sci-Fi amd Classics. That's a massive ballpark to play in. I've come to you guys and gals as you'll be the experts. I've read some websites but the articles tend to be by pretentious people or that don't give enough info about the actual Blu-Ray.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 4
RE: What Blu-Rays should I purchase? - 17/6/2012 6:04:31 PM   
Kubrickrube

For example, is the new David Lynch boxset worth getting?

Post #: 5
RE: What Blu-Rays should I purchase? - 17/6/2012 7:00:55 PM   
TheGodfather

Oh, too bad it isn`t multi region. Because I`d say without a doubt the Criterion blu-ray of The Thin Red Line. That is one of the best releases I own.
You just have to get the US version (region free) of Taxi Driver though!

Jules: "What" ain't no country I ever heard of! They speak English in What?
Brett: What?
Jules: ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER! DO-YOU-SPEAK-IT?

Post #: 6
RE: What Blu-Rays should I purchase? - 17/6/2012 7:40:22 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kubrickrube

For example, is the new David Lynch boxset worth getting?

I hear that some of the discs have picture and audio glitches, so it's probably best to hold off until Universal say otherwise. I haven't bothered with the box-set because I don't want Dune in my collection.

As for a recommendation, the first blu-ray I bought was The Exorcist. Really sweet looking transfer, and it comes with a wealth of really cool back stage footage. So yeah, if you like that flick, go for that one.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 7
RE: What Blu-Rays should I purchase? - 17/6/2012 8:07:01 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

Wow! I'm overcome with the sheer response I've received.

You have to remember, not everyone reads the dvd forum every day. We usually get round to threads eventually but not always right away. You just have to have patience when posting a query, we're not ignoring you on purpose

Anyway, I recommend the following-

Alien Quadrilogy (or you can get them as single releases now so I'd say the first two)
Any Pixar film is worth getting, they all look fantastic.
The Thing (original) Looks great and has great extras
Halloween (original), again, looks great especially for a low budget 70s film. It also has the feature length doc 'A Cut Above' which is good.
A Nightmare on Elm Street (original) Looks good and has an interactive trivia extra as well as commentaries and featurettes.It even has part of the very long Never Sleep Again doc that is out on dvd soon. That particular extra runs for almost 50 minutes on this Blu Ray
The Omen (original) one of my favourite horror films ever and it looks brill. It has loads of extras including a long featurette (46 mins) about the making of the film and one about the franchise which runs for one hour and 41 minutes! Excellent stuff.

It's sad that I had to say 'original' for 4 of those recommendations

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

Post #: 8
RE: What Blu-Rays should I purchase? - 17/6/2012 8:08:12 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

As for a recommendation, the first blu-ray I bought was The Exorcist. Really sweet looking transfer, and it comes with a wealth of really cool back stage footage. So yeah, if you like that flick, go for that one.

Have to agree with this. Picture's great, features both versions of the film, great extras including the whole of Kermode's Fear of God documentary which was cut on the standard DVD.

If you like classic horror of that period I would also recommend The Omen for similar reasons, Halloween, The Thing. Poltergeist looks excellent but the extras are non-existant.

quote:

Please note that my player isn't multi region.

Loads of blu-rays are region-free these days, thankfully. This is a good website: http://regionfreemovies.com/

And, yeah, what Shifty said.

< Message edited by DancingClown -- 17/6/2012 8:09:44 PM >

Astronomic Tune Boy

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 9
RE: What Blu-Rays should I purchase? - 17/6/2012 10:19:00 PM   
Kubrickrube

Thanks for the replies people.

I'm a fan of The Omen and The Exorcist but I own both of these on DVD. Is it still worth purchasing these on Blu-Ray? I'm a big fan of both movies but I'm wondering if the transfer and extras make it worthwhile?

Post #: 10
RE: What Blu-Rays should I purchase? - 18/6/2012 12:03:01 AM   
DancingClown

quote:

Thanks for the replies people.

I'm a fan of The Omen and The Exorcist but I own both of these on DVD. Is it still worth purchasing these on Blu-Ray? I'm a big fan of both movies but I'm wondering if the transfer and extras make it worthwhile?

I would say yes, especially The Exorcist for the extras. As far as PQ goes they look pretty damn good for films over thirty-five years old. Not as crisp as today's movies, naturally, but still impressive, very filmic, free of tampering. I don't think The Omen has any extra special features that aren't already available, although I could be wrong.

Astronomic Tune Boy

Post #: 11
RE: What Blu-Rays should I purchase? - 18/6/2012 12:29:04 AM   
Shifty Bench

There are a couple of extras exclusive to The Omen Blu Ray like an isolated score and a PiP Trivia Track. Not enough to buy the Blu Ray if you already have the dvd, sure but good all the same.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

Post #: 12
RE: What Blu-Rays should I purchase? - 18/6/2012 5:45:41 PM   
directorscut

The Sound of Music.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 13
RE: What Blu-Rays should I purchase? - 18/6/2012 10:20:54 PM   
Kubrickrube

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

The Sound of Music.

Possibly the only time I've ever wanted the Nazi's to win.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 14
RE: What Blu-Rays should I purchase? - 18/6/2012 10:26:11 PM   
MonsterCat

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 15
RE: What Blu-Rays should I purchase? - 18/6/2012 10:44:16 PM   
directorscut

The Nazis were pro-DNRed, EE'ed old masters.

The von Trapps represent fresh, high quality masters transferred to Blu-ray with immaculate quality.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 16
RE: What Blu-Rays should I purchase? - 19/6/2012 12:16:35 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheGodfather

Oh, too bad it isn`t multi region. Because I`d say without a doubt the Criterion blu-ray of The Thin Red Line. That is one of the best releases I own.

Packaging aside the UK disc of Taxi Driver is exactly the same as the US one isn't it?

The UK release of The Thin Red Line is great too, and the transfer is actually a little better than the Criterion disc (it doesn't contain the encode error that the Criterion has). The UK disc lacks a couple of featurettes tho, but contains 80% of the Criterion extras.

On a Malick note I'd also recommend Tree Of Life, which is probably the best looking Blu-ray of them all.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 19/6/2012 12:17:42 AM >

(in reply to TheGodfather)
Post #: 17
RE: What Blu-Rays should I purchase? - 19/6/2012 12:28:18 AM   
Kubrickrube

There's only one place that the von Trapps should have bee transferred. This location should have been a camp and not a band camp.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 18
RE: What Blu-Rays should I purchase? - 19/6/2012 12:30:57 AM   
Kubrickrube

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

Packaging aside the UK disc of Taxi Driver is exactly the same as the US one isn't it?

The UK release of The Thin Red Line is great too, and the transfer is actually a little better than the Criterion disc (it doesn't contain the encode error that the Criterion has). The UK disc lacks a couple of featurettes tho, but contains 80% of the Criterion extras.

On a Malick note I'd also recommend Tree Of Life, which is probably the best looking Blu-ray of them all.

Unfortunately (on this occasion), I also own Tree of Life on DVD. Is there a significant ddifference between the two? Likewise with The Thin Red Line. The Criterion edition is ruled out anyway.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 19
RE: What Blu-Rays should I purchase? - 19/6/2012 12:53:23 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

Unfortunately (on this occasion), I also own Tree of Life on DVD. Is there a significant ddifference between the two? Likewise with The Thin Red Line. The Criterion edition is ruled out anyway.

It depends how much of a fan of the film you are. I'd personally certainly say that Tree Of Life in HD is worth the upgrade. Extras wise I don't think theres any difference tho. The Thin Red Line however, is very much a worthy upgrade to Blu-ray from the existing DVD, as there a ton of extras (on the UK disc, not just the Criterion), and the transfer is stunning.

Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> What Blu-Rays should I purchase? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI