Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Avengers Assemble

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: Avengers Assemble Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Avengers Assemble - 20/9/2012 4:24:24 PM   
Sinatra

To be honest I am so confused I am going to buy the bog standard Dvd for my son and wait to see if a UK edition comes out with a digital version included.

(in reply to FoximusPrime)
Post #: 91
RE: Avengers Assemble - 20/9/2012 5:12:37 PM   
film man aidy

Got my bluray copy. Good film, but really, really poor extras. Didn't realise that we had to go food shopping if we wanted some proper background on film. It's the biggest film of the year (so far) for crying out loud!Piss poor Marvel.
Post #: 92
RE: Avengers Assemble - 20/9/2012 5:55:17 PM   
PythonFan

Ha, well, problem solved for me.

My mum noticed my ranting on Facebook and when I got home, she gave me a packet from Sainsbury's as an early birthday present (my birthday is next week). So at least I have the 90 minute doc after all, with the US Blu-ray on order.

I still think all this business is disgusting though. The edit not withstanding, I'm pretty sure very few people would have complained if Disney had said "Sorry, we're just going to delay this release for a week so that we can have Joss' commentary on it". They must have known he was planning on doing one. The excuse is very flimsy.

I don't mind different businesses doing exclusive packaging but when it comes down to content, you shouldn't feel pressured into buying from one establishment, it's not right.

< Message edited by PythonFan -- 20/9/2012 6:07:16 PM >

We're on an express elevator to hell. Goin' down!

Groovy!

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate!?

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father, prepare to die.

(in reply to film man aidy)
Post #: 93
RE: Avengers Assemble - 20/9/2012 6:43:47 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: PythonFan

My mum noticed my ranting on Facebook and when I got home, she gave me a packet from Sainsbury's as an early birthday present (my birthday is next week). So at least I have the 90 minute doc after all, with the US Blu-ray on order.

I still think all this business is disgusting though. The edit not withstanding, I'm pretty sure very few people would have complained if Disney had said "Sorry, we're just going to delay this release for a week so that we can have Joss' commentary on it". They must have known he was planning on doing one. The excuse is very flimsy.

I don't mind different businesses doing exclusive packaging but when it comes down to content, you shouldn't feel pressured into buying from one establishment, it's not right.

Glad you at least got the movie now PythonFan, it's an amazing transfer with kickass sound to boot. One of the best looking blu rays of the year. Let us all know what you think of the 90 min doc when you get the chance to watch it too, would be interesting to hear what you think.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to PythonFan)
Post #: 94
RE: Avengers Assemble - 20/9/2012 6:44:50 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gram123

The "Assembling the Ultimate Team" feature on the normal US BD releases is only 8 mins.

The 90 mins of "exlcusive" Target / Sainsburys extras appears to be called "Building a Cinematic Universe", but is also noted on the Target site as "Building a Dream: Assembling the Avengers".

I guess there'll be floods of reviews by next week talking about the 90 min feature. My plan at this stage is to get the Target version, but if reviews say the exclusive feature is bulls' balls, then maybe the standard US 2-disc (DVD & BD) will suffice for me. The features are the same as in the US 4-disc, and I don't currently have any need for a digital copy or a 3D version, and I'm not arsed about the digital music download.
We'll see. I suppose getting the 4-disc is future-proofing...

Oh, also noticed that Target are selling their exclusive version at $25.99 and bluraysforeveryone selling the same at $30.99. Pisser that Target don't ship to UK. Think I might be asking a relative in the US to get me (whichever version) for xmas (hell, there's no rush...).

Thanks for clearing up regarding the featurette listed as Assembling the Team Gram, it's baffling why this 8 min featurette is also NOT on the UK release.

Post #: 95
RE: Avengers Assemble - 20/9/2012 6:47:03 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sinatra

To be honest I am so confused I am going to buy the bog standard Dvd for my son and wait to see if a UK edition comes out with a digital version included.

Not a bad idea, all this arsing around is understandably pissing a lot of people off. There's no reason on Earth why the UK (a huge market for digital media) should be treated as such. Disney UKs 'reasoning' sucks even more. Hopefully they will release a digital copy version, although to be honest i'd be surprised after the way things have been going so far.

< Message edited by DONOVAN KURTWOOD -- 20/9/2012 6:56:59 PM >

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 96
RE: Avengers Assemble - 20/9/2012 8:23:39 PM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

ORIGINAL: BelfastBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

You're welcome. Yes that's the one, Assembling the Team. Although | have to say i've not heard good things about it as it's basically 15 min segments on all the Marvel phase one movies leading up to and including The Avengers. rather than a 90 min doc all about the making of The Avengers (which i think a lot of us would have preffered). Apparently a lot of the interviews are ones taken from the existing releases of the Phase one movies, so if you any/ all of those you;ve probably seen/ heard a lot of the stuff already. Just to give you a heads up!

Would second these comments. The documentary is an interesting watch for someone totally new to the Marvel films, but there's a serious lack of insights and depth overall for those already in the know. By contrast, and just because it's fresh in my memory, there's a documentary on the Hunger Games DVD / BD called 'The World Is Watching'. It's nearly 2hrs long and is staggeringly comprehensive, delving into all aspects of the film and with considerable contributions from all important people. Avengers deserved something like this, rather than an entertaining but pretty superficial overview.

I haven't actually seen any of the extras from the other films so the documentary will be good for me.

BelfastBoy...which edition of The Hunger Games is that documentary on? Another one exclusive to only one store?

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to BelfastBoy)
Post #: 97
RE: Avengers Assemble - 21/9/2012 10:08:39 AM   
BelfastBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: doubtlesswonder

quote:

quote:

You're welcome. Yes that's the one, Assembling the Team. Although | have to say i've not heard good things about it as it's basically 15 min segments on all the Marvel phase one movies leading up to and including The Avengers. rather than a 90 min doc all about the making of The Avengers (which i think a lot of us would have preffered). Apparently a lot of the interviews are ones taken from the existing releases of the Phase one movies, so if you any/ all of those you;ve probably seen/ heard a lot of the stuff already. Just to give you a heads up!

Would second these comments. The documentary is an interesting watch for someone totally new to the Marvel films, but there's a serious lack of insights and depth overall for those already in the know. By contrast, and just because it's fresh in my memory, there's a documentary on the Hunger Games DVD / BD called 'The World Is Watching'. It's nearly 2hrs long and is staggeringly comprehensive, delving into all aspects of the film and with considerable contributions from all important people. Avengers deserved something like this, rather than an entertaining but pretty superficial overview.

I haven't actually seen any of the extras from the other films so the documentary will be good for me.

BelfastBoy...which edition of The Hunger Games is that documentary on? Another one exclusive to only one store?

The Hunger Games documentary is on every edition of the film. I don't believe there's a single disc version released so any DVD or BluRay set will have it. Sainsburys have exclusive extra content which is nice to have for the sake of completion, but hardly essential. I got my 3 disc DVD set for 10 so it was a good price, but even the standard 2 disc set has great extras, including the long documentary.

(in reply to doubtlesswonder)
Post #: 98
RE: Avengers Assemble - 21/9/2012 10:36:01 AM   
Sinatra

quote:

Hopefully they will release a digital copy version, although to be honest i'd be surprised after the way things have been going so far.

Yeah true... arhh well, if it comes to it I will wait until the itunes version comes down to 9.99 and get that... no rush really, we got the standard DVD copy from Tescos last night for 7.99, so at least we have the film now.

I am going to upgrade my ipad next year (when the next version is released), so I will treat myself to the digital version then.

Piss poor from Disney though...

< Message edited by Sinatra -- 21/9/2012 10:37:02 AM >

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 99
RE: Avengers Assemble - 21/9/2012 12:32:23 PM   
BelfastBoy

What about making your own digital copies? Obviously I'm not going to reveal how on an open forum but it's not that difficult. I also don't believe it's piracy if you own the original disc and the copy is purely for personal use rather than distribution.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 100
RE: Avengers Assemble - 21/9/2012 4:31:34 PM   
vader100

quote:

What about making your own digital copies? Obviously I'm not going to reveal how on an open forum but it's not that difficult. I also don't believe it's piracy if you own the original disc and the copy is purely for personal use rather than distribution.

Any attempt to circumvent the protection on a disc is classed as copyright infringement technically. Although this does raise the issue of why they are allowed sell media players that you rip copies of the disc onto.

You can't take the sky from me

(in reply to BelfastBoy)
Post #: 101
RE: Avengers Assemble - 21/9/2012 4:55:18 PM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The Hunger Games documentary is on every edition of the film. I don't believe there's a single disc version released so any DVD or BluRay set will have it. Sainsburys have exclusive extra content which is nice to have for the sake of completion, but hardly essential. I got my 3 disc DVD set for 10 so it was a good price, but even the standard 2 disc set has great extras, including the long documentary.

I just wondered because I have the HMV steelbook edition of Hunger Games and can't remember what extras it has on it. The HMV website is ridiculously poor at including information like that on the item listing.

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to BelfastBoy)
Post #: 102
RE: Avengers Assemble - 22/9/2012 9:58:09 AM   
BelfastBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: vader100

quote:

Any attempt to circumvent the protection on a disc is classed as copyright infringement technically. Although this does raise the issue of why they are allowed sell media players that you rip copies of the disc onto.

I thought that might be the case. The one that always amuses me is that every PC comes with Windows Media Player, which allows you to rip pretty much any commercial CD ever made! (I don't think CDs even bother with copy protection any more, do they?) DVDs and Blurays are obviously a different matter in terms of copy protection, but since it seems to be encouraged to rip your music collection, it's hard to see the difference of backing up a film if you own it! (Please note my crucial point - I think it's OK if you own the disc. The law probably disagrees but morally I think it's OK to make a personal digital copy as long as it's not being shared or uploaded. If this sort of talk is frowned upon on the forum then let me know and I'll delete the post.)

(in reply to vader100)
Post #: 103
RE: Avengers Assemble - 22/9/2012 3:30:04 PM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: vader100

quote:

I thought that might be the case. The one that always amuses me is that every PC comes with Windows Media Player, which allows you to rip pretty much any commercial CD ever made! (I don't think CDs even bother with copy protection any more, do they?) DVDs and Blurays are obviously a different matter in terms of copy protection, but since it seems to be encouraged to rip your music collection, it's hard to see the difference of backing up a film if you own it! (Please note my crucial point - I think it's OK if you own the disc. The law probably disagrees but morally I think it's OK to make a personal digital copy as long as it's not being shared or uploaded. If this sort of talk is frowned upon on the forum then let me know and I'll delete the post.)

I think the thing that amuses me most is that nobody cared when you would record a film from TV onto a VHS and pass it around. Same with taping music from the radio. In fact, you can buy DVD players that record and write to disc. I find it all a bit daft.

quote:

homersimpson_esq

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to BelfastBoy)
Post #: 104
RE: Avengers Assemble - 22/9/2012 5:47:11 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

I think the thing that amuses me most is that nobody cared when you would record a film from TV onto a VHS and pass it around. Same with taping music from the radio. In fact, you can buy DVD players that record and write to disc. I find it all a bit daft.

I'm sure they did care but it was seen as an unenforceable situation in the VHS days - whereas now they can sue ISPs or whatever. It was probably less of a threat to sales in those days, whereas now we're getting a generation of people who believe that films and music and books are just "free".

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

Post #: 105
RE: Avengers Assemble - 23/9/2012 2:23:56 AM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

quote:

I'm sure they did care but it was seen as an unenforceable situation in the VHS days - whereas now they can sue ISPs or whatever. It was probably less of a threat to sales in those days, whereas now we're getting a generation of people who believe that films and music and books are just "free".

I suppose you're right, I just think sometimes it can be a bit extreme. It was so easy to copy a CD onto a tape or to tape some songs from the radio, but these days it's a hassle even to get your own music off an iPod once you've put it on there, unless you bought it directly from iTunes.

quote:

homersimpson_esq

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 106
RE: Avengers Assemble - 23/9/2012 12:30:51 PM   
elab49

Slightly O/T but I always burn to a physical disc if I buy from Itunes. Which is rare - I resent the idea I'm only 'renting' something and if I make mix discs regularly I'll run out of times in which I can use something I've legally bought. At least if I have one hard copy as backup I get a longer use from it. 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 107
RE: Avengers Assemble - 24/9/2012 5:18:18 PM   
PythonFan

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: PythonFan

Glad you at least got the movie now PythonFan, it's an amazing transfer with kickass sound to boot. One of the best looking blu rays of the year. Let us all know what you think of the 90 min doc when you get the chance to watch it too, would be interesting to hear what you think.

I'm with a lot of other people on the documentary, to be honest. I haven't seen all the previous features on the Phase One films so a fair amount of it was new to me in that respect but I still think I would have traded it in for a half hour making-of for the Avengers specifically. The cast interviews are thin on the ground and there is little footage of them all on the set or rehearsing etc. Seems like a very strange move considering how huge this film was/is that they haven't given it any detailed insights (save the commentary, presumably).

If people who had seen the previous Marvel movie extras were contemplating buying the Sainsbury's one over a (non-Target) US version...I would say go for the commentary. Before having even heard it, I know it will provide far more interesting information on the film than the documentary did.

We're on an express elevator to hell. Goin' down!

Groovy!

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate!?

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father, prepare to die.

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 108
RE: Avengers Assemble - 25/9/2012 10:30:20 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Am wondering this lack of the Iron Man extras on the Blu ray box set does anyone think it has anything to do with next years upcoming Iron Man 3 release?
It sort of reminds me of an I-Phone or Galaxy phone release just improve it slightly each time to keep em coming back for more.

(in reply to PythonFan)
Post #: 109
RE: Avengers Assemble - 30/9/2012 2:23:02 PM   
rich

I think the reason is mainly lack of effort - one disc for each film. Was sort of looking forward to this as part of the set but it seems like we will have to wait for a proper special edition release.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 110
RE: Avengers Assemble - 16/10/2012 1:31:41 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Can anyone recommend the best place to buy this from the US (it is definitely region free right?)?

The cheapest I've managed to find it anywhere is amazon.com where it costs around 15.50 ($24.97) before P&P. The price doesn't bother me but I've had ridiculously long waiting times when ordering from Amazon.com in the past so I'm open to suggestions.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 16/10/2012 1:33:23 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 111
RE: Avengers Assemble - 17/10/2012 1:30:04 PM   
Skillgannon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

Can anyone recommend the best place to buy this from the US (it is definitely region free right?)?

The cheapest I've managed to find it anywhere is amazon.com where it costs around 15.50 ($24.97) before P&P. The price doesn't bother me but I've had ridiculously long waiting times when ordering from Amazon.com in the past so I'm open to suggestions.

I ordered from Amazon.com and yep, it is region free.
Despite them saying it would be approx 3 weeks for standard del it actually arrived in about 10 days.
Not got round to listening to the commentary yet but at least I can with the US version.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 112
RE: Avengers Assemble - 19/10/2012 9:45:07 PM   
FoximusPrime

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skillgannon

quote:

Despite them saying it would be approx 3 weeks for standard del it actually arrived in about 10 days.
Not got round to listening to the commentary yet but at least I can with the US version.

Same here - I pre-ordered from Amazon US and received it yesterday.

I half expected a customs charge (ended up being 3.87) so didn't begrudge that but, as a first time importer, I was somewhat shocked and disgusted by Royal Mail charging me an additional 8 for "handling" - it cost about half that for Amazon to cross the Atlantic!

Royal Mail frequently finds new ways to piss me off with their shoddy practices.

Spoiler colour: #F1F1F1

(in reply to Skillgannon)
Post #: 113
RE: Avengers Assemble - 22/10/2012 12:47:39 PM   
Skillgannon

quote:

ORIGINAL: FoximusPrime

quote:

quote:

I half expected a customs charge (ended up being 3.87) so didn't begrudge that but, as a first time importer, I was somewhat shocked and disgusted by Royal Mail charging me an additional 8 for "handling" - it cost about half that for Amazon to cross the Atlantic!

Royal Mail frequently finds new ways to piss me off with their shoddy practices.

Did you order anything else at the same time as I had it dropped from my door with no fuss at all?

Post #: 114
RE: Avengers Assemble - 22/10/2012 3:17:36 PM   
FoximusPrime

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Did you order anything else at the same time as I had it dropped from my door with no fuss at all?

No, just that. Maybe Amazon or customs mis-labelled mine then, as it has an EEC sticker on it too? Either way, the size of Royal Mail's fee annoyed me.

(in reply to Skillgannon)
Post #: 115
RE: Avengers Assemble - 22/10/2012 3:40:08 PM   
UTB

Its pot luck whether you get picked up by customs or not. I've had huge orders untouched and small orders just over the limit picked up and charged for. The RM fee is a bitch, though.

Post #: 116
RE: Avengers Assemble - 22/10/2012 3:51:20 PM   
vad3r

I've never had to pay customs. Never. Have I been hit with custom charges? Of course. The highest so far was 18. What I do is allow Amazon to ring me immediately, and I tell them to partial refund the custom charge back to my account. First they're hesitant, but after insisting, they'll refund the full amount. They don't even have a currency converter with them handy so they ask you how much to refund, without proof. Works every time, don't let corporations squeeze extra cash from you.

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 117
RE: Avengers Assemble - 25/10/2012 12:02:21 PM   
FoximusPrime

quote:

ORIGINAL: vad3r

I've never had to pay customs. Never. Have I been hit with custom charges? Of course. The highest so far was 18. What I do is allow Amazon to ring me immediately, and I tell them to partial refund the custom charge back to my account. First they're hesitant, but after insisting, they'll refund the full amount. They don't even have a currency converter with them handy so they ask you how much to refund, without proof. Works every time, don't let corporations squeeze extra cash from you.

How does that work? Why do they ring you unprompted?

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 118
RE: Avengers Assemble - 25/10/2012 12:12:20 PM   
vad3r

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: vad3r

How does that work? Why do they ring you unprompted?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=gw_m_b_he?ie=UTF8&nodeId=471044 then click Contact Us. Choose Phone, Call Us. Then put your number in the box and choose Call Me Now. They'll call you straight away for free. Works every time, they've paid all my custom charges.

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

Post #: 119
RE: Avengers Assemble - 25/10/2012 12:22:03 PM   
FoximusPrime

Interesting...

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: Avengers Assemble Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI