Magnolia

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> Magnolia Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Magnolia - 14/6/2012 9:27:51 PM   
Coyleone

Couldn't find a thread, so I thought I'd make one for this masterpiece.

One of the best films I think I've ever seen, and certainly one of my favourites. Cruise is amazing, I've never been that impressed with anything he's done before, but if this was your first Tom Cruise movie you'd seen, I swear you would think he was one of the best actors in the world. The scene where he starts stumbling over his lines and messing up his 'lecture' after the interview was so well acted, as well as him coming face to face with his dad. Everyone in this is awards worthy to be honest. The entire last hour was just incredible, the 'Wise Up' scene is one of the most powerful scenes in any movie. On paper it must have sounded insane (along with the frog's), but PTA pulled it off in genius fashion. Everything from the awesome pre credits prologue to the final amazing scene was just masterful.

This is the type of film I wait for to come along but so very rarely does.

it will be interesting to know what people think of the 'Wise Up' sing along scene, because if someone told me about it I would probably cringe at the thought of the cast randomly breaking in to song a third of the way through, but it was so well done and so powerful, and it never felt out of place or not needed.
Post #: 1
RE: Magnolia - 15/6/2012 1:51:24 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Absolutely one of my favourite films, I never tire of watching it and the entire cast is perfect. John C. Reilly is the scene-stealer for me.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 2
RE: Magnolia - 24/6/2012 7:01:39 PM   
Sutty

"Tame the vagina".

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 3
RE: Magnolia - 27/6/2012 1:10:44 AM   
Zaphod121

quote:

ORIGINAL: Coyleone

Couldn't find a thread, so I thought I'd make one for this masterpiece.

One of the best films I think I've ever seen, and certainly one of my favourites. Cruise is amazing, I've never been that impressed with anything he's done before, but if this was your first Tom Cruise movie you'd seen, I swear you would think he was one of the best actors in the world. The scene where he starts stumbling over his lines and messing up his 'lecture' after the interview was so well acted, as well as him coming face to face with his dad. Everyone in this is awards worthy to be honest. The entire last hour was just incredible, the 'Wise Up' scene is one of the most powerful scenes in any movie. On paper it must have sounded insane (along with the frog's), but PTA pulled it off in genius fashion. Everything from the awesome pre credits prologue to the final amazing scene was just masterful.

This is the type of film I wait for to come along but so very rarely does.

it will be interesting to know what people think of the 'Wise Up' sing along scene, because if someone told me about it I would probably cringe at the thought of the cast randomly breaking in to song a third of the way through, but it was so well done and so powerful, and it never felt out of place or not needed.

I suppose you could suggest that the song is on the radio and there all just singing along to it, doesn't really matter though as it is a fantastic scene either way.

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 4
RE: Magnolia - 27/6/2012 1:21:21 AM   
Lazarus munkey

Makes my top 10 favourite films of all time. Brilliantly conceived and executed with a large cast on top of their game.
I first saw it on its dvd release with my then-girlfriend (now wife). When the credits rolled, we just looked at each other, scarcely able to comprehend the uniqueness of what we'd just seen (hadn't seen Short Cuts at this point), the audacity, the flair, the performances and the emotional gut-punch of the story.

My wife told me that I sat agape during the 'Wise Up' scene and this is certainly how I remember it. The timing of the scene is impeccable.

A masterpiece.

"Because I got the answers"

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
The Amazing Spider-Man 3/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 5
RE: Magnolia - 27/6/2012 10:35:09 AM   
st3veebee

Really have to watch this film again: I liked it when I saw it years ago but don' remember being quite as blown away as other people.

John C Reilly is brilliant though, and Tom Cruise.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to Lazarus munkey)
Post #: 6
RE: Magnolia - 27/6/2012 1:04:33 PM   
The Big Guy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sutty

"Tame the vagina".

Did you watch a pre-watershed cut of the film...?

I really like this film. Not Paul Thomas Anderson's best film, but it has a lot going on. It is about themes, not about story, and I think those that dislike the film dislike it for this reason. When people ask, 'what is Magnolia about?' it is difficult to say, in the same way it is easy to say of another film, 'it is about a shark that attacks people and has to be killed'.

The stand-out performance is John C. Reilly.

The stand-out scene is the plague of frogs.

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 7
RE: Magnolia - 29/6/2012 1:16:53 PM   
The Hooded Man

It's a beautiful film.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to The Big Guy)
Post #: 8
RE: Magnolia - 30/6/2012 12:04:40 AM   
moviebuff73

tom cruise was brilliant, but the movie was just ok.

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> Magnolia Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI