Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Films you used to hate, but now actually really like

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Films you used to hate, but now actually really like Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Films you used to hate, but now actually really like - 17/6/2012 11:13:34 AM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phoenix Wright

I also really like Alien 3, especially the producers cut. I've always liked how gothic and bleak it is, and the central performances are great as well.

Anyway, put me down as another one who was underwhelmed by 2001 on first viewing but thought it was fantastic on a rewatch.

I also remember really not thinking much of Gladiator when I saw it at the cinema, and whilst I wouldn't call it one of my favourites I enjoyed it a lot more when I watched it again a few years later (still not keen on the "My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius" speech though).

That's a great speech - one of my favourites, in fact.

Eddy's Film Review
Latest: Need For Speed, Under The Skin, 300: Rise Of An Empire

(in reply to Phoenix Wright)
Post #: 31
RE: Films you used to hate, but now actually really like - 17/6/2012 6:48:30 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phoenix Wright

I also really like Alien 3, especially the producers cut. I've always liked how gothic and bleak it is, and the central performances are great as well.

Anyway, put me down as another one who was underwhelmed by 2001 on first viewing but thought it was fantastic on a rewatch.

I also remember really not thinking much of Gladiator when I saw it at the cinema, and whilst I wouldn't call it one of my favourites I enjoyed it a lot more when I watched it again a few years later (still not keen on the "My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius" speech though).

That's a great speech - one of my favourites, in fact.

Personally I quite like the speech just not the presentation of it.

I hated the Matrix the first time I saw it (hate may be too strong a word) but having seen it a few times I rather enjoy it now. The second and third are still abominations though.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 32
RE: Films you used to hate, but now actually really like - 26/6/2012 5:03:37 PM   
desibeo

Happiness is the film I always think of in this regard. I absolutely hated it first time. Eventually (many months later) I almost forced myself to rewatch after I heard some discussion on it that didn't make me angry -and I loved it. I've seen it maybe 10 times in the past 12 years or so and it just seems to soar to new levels of greatness in my opinion on each viewing.

I'm not sure I ever hated a Coen Brothers film, but almost all their films I don't "get" first time around. I need at least 2 viewings for most of them. Now I count almost all of them amongst my favourites of all time, including O Brother Where Art Thou, Big Lebowski, The Man Who Wasn't There, True Grit.

Fargo and No Country for Old Men were the only two I really enjoyed first time around. I still love these. All of the above I could watch forever (not to mention everything by Stanley Kubrick, although I don't think I hated/disliked any of those first time around).

I liked Raising Arizona first time but I think I like it less now -I'd have to watch it again to be sure though.

Other Coen movies I like well enough but don't absolutely love: Millers Crossing, Burn After Reading.

Some I still don't "get"/ enjoy, eg. Barton Fink, Hudsucker Proxy. But I suppose we can't all love the same things... and I never write them off as films I downright dislike because I've learnt from experience never to write any of them off. I might well love Barton Fink the next time I see it. That will be my eighth or ninth time or thereabouts. Not that I'm in a hurry for that particular viewing.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 33
RE: Films you used to hate, but now actually really like - 8/7/2012 10:43:30 AM   
TragicRomantic

Ah, here it is!
Would agree about Robin Hood too.Someone earlier said they'll avoid films they would avoid films they dont like,but that's not possible all the time,you ultimately dont know until you go!

Life,love and film-enjoy all like fine wine
Silence the doubters
Embrace the lovers
Ignore the haters

(in reply to desibeo)
Post #: 34
RE: Films you used to hate, but now actually really like - 8/7/2012 12:59:25 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: jackcarter

i think Prometheus will be a film people initially hated/moaned about/not what they thought it would be but will later appreciate greatly (like Blade Runner)

No it wont. Even as the years go by, they still won't be able to correct the terrible writing.

But yeah, nowhere near the worst film of the year for sure.

Mulholland Drive for me. First saw it on video when I was 16 & it completely floored me to the point I was angry.

Then a few years later I began to get my head around a Lynchian film or more avant-garde things in general. Now it's one of my all time favourites.

< Message edited by Qwerty Norris -- 8/7/2012 1:00:28 PM >

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 35
RE: Films you used to hate, but now actually really like - 8/7/2012 1:04:51 PM   
Lazarus munkey

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: jackcarter

i think Prometheus will be a film people initially hated/moaned about/not what they thought it would be but will later appreciate greatly (like Blade Runner)

I think you're right. I definitely think that those who have been saying it's one of the worst films ever made will realise upon a second or third viewing that it's really not that bad.

Those who throw those comments about are idiots.

It is nonsense. The film has a few script problems and a horribly out of place Glaswegian accent, but everything else is pretty excellent.

Exactly.Prometheus isn't perfect but some of the critiscm its had has been hyperbole.

As has some of the praise.

I thought it was poor. Not the worst film ever made by a long way but certainly one of the most disappointing.

"Because I got the answers"

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
The Amazing Spider-Man 3/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 36
RE: Films you used to hate, but now actually really like - 8/7/2012 1:08:07 PM   
Lazarus munkey

Starship Troopers. I just missed the joke the first time around and now I love it.

Terminator 3. Thought it was tosh initially but saw it again and was quite entertained and the ending is one of the best of the last decade.

"Because I got the answers"

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
The Amazing Spider-Man 3/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

(in reply to Lazarus munkey)
Post #: 37
RE: Films you used to hate, but now actually really like - 9/7/2012 1:02:20 AM   
filmfanatic123

I really disliked Anchorman when it came out. I don't know why, I think I was going through an anti-Will Ferrell phase. I've seen it a couple of times since, and it's one of my favourite comedies of all time now. Genius.

I also thought that the original Total Recall was utterly awful, but having seen it since I actually really enjoyed it. Just a quality film.

Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

(in reply to Lazarus munkey)
Post #: 38
RE: Films you used to hate, but now actually really like - 9/7/2012 10:50:47 AM   
snooker23

Top Gun. Weirdly. I'm not saying it's a cinematic masterpiece (not by a long shot), but I just like and laugh at the supreme cheesiness and flag waving now instead of being irked by it. Val Kilmer's hair in it is still deeply disturbing though.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 39
RE: Films you used to hate, but now actually really like - 9/7/2012 12:25:00 PM   
st3veebee

I honestly wasn't that big on Shaun of the Dead when it came out but of course have come to my senses since and realise it's ace now.

Still prefer Hot Fuzz though

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to snooker23)
Post #: 40
RE: Films you used to hate, but now actually really like - 9/7/2012 1:05:01 PM   
musht

I wouldn't say I now really like it but I don't hate Taken anymore. The dialogue and acting is still crap, but I don't mind so much these days

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 41
RE: Films you used to hate, but now actually really like - 9/7/2012 1:42:07 PM   
Timon

Heat

But then the first time I saw it, I was 13 and a moron.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 42
RE: Films you used to hate, but now actually really like - 9/7/2012 1:51:44 PM   
jackcarter

quote:

ORIGINAL: musht

I wouldn't say I now really like it but I don't hate Taken anymore. The dialogue and acting is still crap, but I don't mind so much these days

im sure Empire feels the same

< Message edited by jackcarter -- 9/7/2012 1:56:02 PM >

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 43
RE: Films you used to hate, but now actually really like - 23/7/2012 9:14:46 PM   
Spectator of Suicide

Blade Runner "What is this about? Its too dark and its always raining."

http://letterboxd.com/nwarde/

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 44
RE: Films you used to hate, but now actually really like - 24/7/2012 2:21:14 PM   
yourecast

Memento. You have to see it several times to understand its brilliance...

yourecast.com - Be a movie casting hero, recast your favorite movies.

(in reply to Spectator of Suicide)
Post #: 45
RE: Films you used to hate, but now actually really like - 27/7/2012 9:39:10 PM   
Dr Lenera

E.T. The Extra Terrestrial
The Matrix [though the word hate is too strong]
Citizen Kane [ditto]
Blade Runner [ditto!]
Mary Poppins
Gone With The Wind
The Long Goodbye

will probably think of more!

< Message edited by Dr Lenera -- 27/7/2012 9:40:32 PM >

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to yourecast)
Post #: 46
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Films you used to hate, but now actually really like Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI