Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Films you used to hate, but now actually really like

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Films you used to hate, but now actually really like Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Films you used to hate, but now actually really like - 14/6/2012 1:06:12 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Good lord, is it so hard to have a positive thread around here?

Ok, so once upon a time I disliked Ikiru, and then I reappraised, and now I like it.

I liked Robin Hood (2010) more on second viewing at home than at the cinema.

And, famously, I used to despise 2001 A Space Odyssey, and now I quite like it.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.
Post #: 1
RE: Films you used to hate, but now actually really like - 14/6/2012 1:10:33 PM   
jcthefirst

Scott Pilgrim. Wasn't a fan in the cinema; actually love it now.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 2
RE: Films you used to hate, but now actually really like - 14/6/2012 1:15:33 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

It must have been all that hipster talk, when quite obviously Pilgrim is not a hipster but a douche, which is why the film rocks.

I used to hate Donnie Darko. Still, do actually as it's a steaming pile of shit. Sorry, wrong thread. Perhaps I should start a 'films that were shit and are still shit thread'....

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 3
RE: Films you used to hate, but now actually really like - 14/6/2012 1:15:34 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

But if I hated a film then I would,most likely,try to avoid it.
I couldn't imagine hating a film and liking it on second viewing.God that'll be horrible.

Post #: 4
RE: Films you used to hate, but now actually really like - 14/6/2012 1:17:51 PM   
Toby Monroe

Dances with Wolves. Didn't exactly hate it but I was never enthralled by it. But after seeing Avatar, I changed my opinion. I never really liked Costner's Wyatt Earp either, but I caught it on the telly a few months back and actually enjoyed it. Waterworld is still shit.

< Message edited by Toby Monroe -- 14/6/2012 1:18:17 PM >

Fit or Fugly score: 3/10

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 5
RE: Films you used to hate, but now actually really like - 14/6/2012 1:18:01 PM   
homersimpson_esq

It's usually where I watch a film that is generally considered quite good, but I hate, that I often give a second chance.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 6
RE: Films you used to hate, but now actually really like - 14/6/2012 1:18:40 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

It must have been all that hipster talk, when quite obviously Pilgrim is not a hipster but a douche, which is why the film rocks.

I used to hate Donnie Darko. Still, do actually as it's a steaming pile of shit. Sorry, wrong thread. Perhaps I should start a 'films that were shit and are still shit thread'....

We could then have a poll to see who wants it locked.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 7
RE: Films you used to hate, but now actually really like - 14/6/2012 1:42:07 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

Ok, so once upon a time I disliked Ikiru, and then I reappraised, and now I like it.

You're welcome.

A film I used to hate and now like - It's a Wonderful Life.

Post #: 8
RE: Films you used to hate, but now actually really like - 14/6/2012 1:47:11 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

It's usually where I watch a film that is generally considered quite good, but I hate, that I often give a second chance.

I might give Kick-Ass another try,but I'm sure I'll deslike it even more.

Post #: 9
RE: Films you used to hate, but now actually really like - 14/6/2012 3:02:32 PM   
jackcarter

around the time the DC was released (92 or 93) watched it for first time on vhs (theatrical voice over version above). Everyone was banging on about how amazing it was, and i had always been intriged by the exciting sounding title, poster artwork, all the little snippets of praise in various SF magazines/books etc over the years, and after reading the back cover i was expecting to see a cropped Han Solo vs Terminator from the director of Alien. (it wasn’t long after T2, and Alien was then known more as an SF action series rather than the slow burning horror of the original)

so instead of action packed SF i saw this strange, slow, boring (to me then), depressing, snooze fest with only a very brief bit of cat and mouse action at the end. Basically one of those old B&W detective films set in a dark techno future with H Ford instead of H Bogart. Michael Crichtons Runaway with Tom Selleck was much more fun and action packed!

when i saw the DC a few years later (when id matured enough to realise that not everything had to be non stop action packed to be good) i could appreciate it - especially since it was a superior cut, but the first time saw it could not understand what all the fuss was about

< Message edited by jackcarter -- 14/6/2012 9:10:17 PM >

Post #: 10
RE: Films you used to hate, but now actually really like - 14/6/2012 3:34:54 PM   
Whistler

Blade Runner also. I didn't hate it the first time, I just wasn't all that fussed considering the praise it had. But then I watched it again, and again, and again, and every time it just keeps getting better. I now (rightfully) regard it as a masterpiece and it sits comfortably amongst my favourite films.

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 11
RE: Films you used to hate, but now actually really like - 14/6/2012 4:09:07 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Yeah I was going to say Blade Runner but it wouldn't really be fair because it was the Theatrical version I hated when I first saw it and I'd probably still hate that now. The version I now love is pretty much a different film to the one I hated so I was wary of it's inclusion in this thread.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 12
RE: Films you used to hate, but now actually really like - 14/6/2012 4:49:38 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Giggsidan

I couldn't imagine hating a film and liking it on second viewing.

Stop spamming that link whenever you post.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.
Post #: 13
RE: Films you used to hate, but now actually really like - 14/6/2012 5:08:55 PM   
jackcarter

i think Prometheus will be a film people initially hated/moaned about/not what they thought it would be but will later appreciate greatly (like Blade Runner)

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 14
RE: Films you used to hate, but now actually really like - 14/6/2012 5:26:47 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: jackcarter

i think Prometheus will be a film people initially hated/moaned about/not what they thought it would be but will later appreciate greatly (like Blade Runner)

I think you're right. I definitely think that those who have been saying it's one of the worst films ever made will realise upon a second or third viewing that it's really not that bad.

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 15
RE: Films you used to hate, but now actually really like - 14/6/2012 5:52:03 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

quote:

I think you're right. I definitely think that those who have been saying it's one of the worst films ever made will realise upon a second or third viewing that it's really not that bad.

Those who throw those comments about are idiots.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 16
RE: Films you used to hate, but now actually really like - 14/6/2012 6:29:53 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

quote:

It is nonsense. The film has a few script problems and a horribly out of place Glaswegian accent, but everything else is pretty excellent.

Post #: 17
RE: Films you used to hate, but now actually really like - 14/6/2012 7:50:51 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

It is nonsense. The film has a few script problems and a horribly out of place Glaswegian accent, but everything else is pretty excellent.

Exactly.Prometheus isn't perfect but some of the critiscm its had has been hyperbole.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 18
RE: Films you used to hate, but now actually really like - 14/6/2012 7:54:35 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Exactly.Prometheus isn't perfect but some of the critiscm its had has been hyperbole.

Tbh some of the criticism has just been blatant trolling.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

Post #: 19
RE: Films you used to hate, but now actually really like - 14/6/2012 8:23:53 PM   
Coyleone

Saying it's one of the worst films ever is completely laughable, but some of the criticism's have also been correct. Anyway, god knows we don't need another Prometheus thread!

On the topic I was never fussed about Jaws when I was younger, but I watched it a few weeks ago and it is indeed a brilliant film. I thought the same about The Empire Strikes Back, when I was young it was my least favorite in the trilogy, now it's one of my favorite films ever.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 20
RE: Films you used to hate, but now actually really like - 15/6/2012 10:48:36 AM   
jackcarter

years ago while i didnt exactly hate Superman The Movie i considered it the worst out of all 4 films. it was too talky, slow, overlong, the Krypton and Smallville bits were boring to a kid as was the whole Lois romance, little action, (aside from it turning into a 70s disaster movie), there were no super villains and there wasnt any fighting! so back then i thought Superman II was the best by far, then IV (for all the amazing non stop action!) then III (for the evil superman scrapyard fight) then STM last. (also it being the only S film i hadnt seen it at the cinema might have gone against it)

now its obvious to me that STM is the best by far. II is all over the place due to the whole Donner/Lester thing, III is a Richard Pryor comedy with Christopher Reeve instead of GeneWilder, and IV is almost STVHS quality (crazy fact - IV had the same budget as 'Aliens'!)

with Superman Returns - before seeing it i thought itd be as good as STM/II. but after ended up unsure what to think (never a good sign). i do remember thinking it was at least better than III or IV...but now seem to prefer either of those over SR.

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 21
RE: Films you used to hate, but now actually really like - 15/6/2012 10:58:33 AM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

I disagree.The film is nowhere near as clever or thought provoking as it thinks it is and the films reputation will suffer in the years to come.

I used to hate Pearl Harbour with a passion.It was one of the worst cinema experiences of my life.However after recently watching it again on Netflix, the acting is just SO bad and the patriotism SO cheesy that i found the whole thing quite hilarious.Really cheered me up!

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 22
RE: Films you used to hate, but now actually really like - 15/6/2012 11:15:17 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Alien 3 (1992)

I think hate would be a far stronger word, but I was certaintly perplexed by the film.

I've always liked its gothic,gritty visual aspect,the great,underated acting of Charles.S.Dutton and I also liked the fact it dealt harshly with characters I liked in the last Alien film ie basically Hicks.
But the theatrical release was weak interms of (now famous) poor script structure and the whole bearing of certain interesting characters feeling side-stepped for a more blunt,basic story.

Thankfully the producers cut has added more depth to the "background" characters and has included some great scenes,such as the audience getting a better glimpse of the depressing world of Fury161 in the intro scene.

The producers cut has now made this one of my favourite films,but i'm still wary in checking/viewing the original theatrical cut.

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 23
RE: Films you used to hate, but now actually really like - 15/6/2012 1:04:48 PM   
great_badir

quote:

Alien 3 (1992)

I think hate would be a far stronger word, but I was certaintly perplexed by the film.

I've always liked its gothic,gritty visual aspect,the great,underated acting of Charles.S.Dutton and I also liked the fact it dealt harshly with characters I liked in the last Alien film ie basically Hicks.
But the theatrical release was weak interms of (now famous) poor script structure and the whole bearing of certain interesting characters feeling side-stepped for a more blunt,basic story.

Thankfully the producers cut has added more depth to the "background" characters and has included some great scenes,such as the audience getting a better glimpse of the depressing world of Fury161 in the intro scene.

The producers cut has now made this one of my favourite films,but i'm still wary in checking/viewing the original theatrical cut.

I've been championing Alien 3 for years, as far back as when it was first released. I've never been a huge fan of Aliens - for my money it's an okay action film which, as I said in another thread recently, has some dreadful acting, an often clunky script and it really hasn't aged well at all - and the misjudged proto-Firefly black comedy Resurrection just doesn't exist if you ask me. But Alien 3 - LOADS going on in that film. It's majestic, looks amazing, largely very good performances and a fascinating story, with the only negatives being some of the dodgy effects, Fincher's then-obsession with shooting from below, an often obtrusive (but otherwise not too bad) score and killing off Charles Dance WAY too early. Oh, and Clive Mantle - "well what does this fucking beast want?!!?".

Agreed, the producer's cut IS a hundred times better than the theatrical cut, but I think the theatrical cut is still a very capable film. Comparatively, it's like the difference between the theatrical and director's/final cuts of Blade Runner - both brilliant films, but one is left in no doubt as to which is the best.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

Post #: 24
RE: Films you used to hate, but now actually really like - 15/6/2012 1:39:27 PM   
matty_b

Yeah, I watched Alien 3 for the first time in about ten years a couple of months ago and was stunned by how fucking good it is. It rounds the series off as a trilogy perfectly.

We shall never talk about Resurrection, however. That will always be utter gash.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 25
RE: Films you used to hate, but now actually really like - 15/6/2012 1:45:50 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b
We shall never talk about Resurrection, however.

We both just did, in successive posts.

We must now commit seppuku...

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 26
RE: Films you used to hate, but now actually really like - 15/6/2012 4:44:41 PM   
thedrin

Hate is a very strong word - thought it was ok but not deserving of the praise it received despite watching it multiple times* - but for a few years I was of the opinion that the last great Pixar film was Finding Nemo. Itwas only last November that The Incredibles clicked for me. Now I say that Pixar haven't made a great film since The Incredibles.

In fairness, I haven't seen all of their output but the overall reaction to Cars 2 gives me no reason to believe that it'll break the streak.

* regularly watching films with other people and other people regularly suggest watching it

Post #: 27
RE: Films you used to hate, but now actually really like - 15/6/2012 5:18:00 PM   
Phoenix Wright

I also really like Alien 3, especially the producers cut. I've always liked how gothic and bleak it is, and the central performances are great as well.

Anyway, put me down as another one who was underwhelmed by 2001 on first viewing but thought it was fantastic on a rewatch.

I also remember really not thinking much of Gladiator when I saw it at the cinema, and whilst I wouldn't call it one of my favourites I enjoyed it a lot more when I watched it again a few years later (still not keen on the "My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius" speech though).

SEA BEARS FOAM, SLEEP BEARS DREAMS. BOTH END IN THE SAME WAY—CRASSSH!

Post #: 28
RE: Films you used to hate, but now actually really like - 16/6/2012 12:10:21 AM   
MonsterCat

I was initially very disappointed with Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, but it's now my third or fourth favourite film of all time.

I guess when I first saw it on VHS I was disappointed because it was tonally very different from the TV show and didn't feature many of the characters from the show. But now I absolutely love it, and every time I watch it I can't help but re-run certain scenes and lines of dialogue in my mind and think about how they fit in the bigger picture. Such a great film.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Phoenix Wright)
Post #: 29
RE: Films you used to hate, but now actually really like - 16/6/2012 12:11:43 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

an often obtrusive (but otherwise not too bad) score

Your face is an often obtrusive (but otherwise not too bad) score.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Films you used to hate, but now actually really like Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI