Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Films you used to like but not so much now

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Films you used to like but not so much now Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Films you used to like but not so much now - 14/6/2012 12:35:22 AM   
Spaldron

Watched The Mist (DC) recently and having enjoyed it very much on dvd a few years back I was dead excited to see the B&W version as Darabont originally intended and because I had been told it actually improves the film. However as I watched it I just kept thinking "this is actually quite shit" and being surprised by my reaction.

I've also had similar reactions to a couple of the SW Prequels, enjoyed both AOTC and ROTS in the cinema (never liked TPM) but frankly don't care for them these days. I share similar feelings for the Spiderman films.

Anyone else done a complete 180 on a film recently?

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.
Post #: 1
RE: Films you used to like but not so much now - 14/6/2012 8:34:25 AM   
thedrin

Spiderman and Spiderman 2 are films that I used to love but I watched both of them just before Spiderman 3 came out and thought they were both rubbish. I haven't gone back to them since.

I watched Donnie Darko a couple of weeks ago and turned it off half way through. There are still moments in the film that are superb but most of it was really boring.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 2
RE: Films you used to like but not so much now - 14/6/2012 8:55:37 AM   
NCC1701A

Bill and Teds Bogus Journey used to like it but watched it last year after a while and did not like it. Sold it.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to thedrin)
Post #: 3
RE: Films you used to like but not so much now - 14/6/2012 10:37:55 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Alien Resurrection (1997)
Liked it when I first saw it in my younger years but have become nothing but cynical towards it now.
Didn't need to exist.

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 4
RE: Films you used to like but not so much now - 14/6/2012 10:54:49 AM   
rick_7

When I was about 15 I thought Once Upon a Time in the West was excellent. Now I think it's a bad film with a few remarkable elements (Morricone's score, the odd shot, Robards' performance). That's the most obvious one I can think of. I had a few problems with Au Hasard Balthazar on repeat viewings, though my feelings about it are generally so confused (revulsion, unhappiness, concerns over narrative coherence) that it may gain back its fourth star in future.

< Message edited by rick_7 -- 14/6/2012 10:55:04 AM >

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 5
RE: Films you used to like but not so much now - 14/6/2012 10:56:00 AM   
st3veebee

Loved Ace Ventura when I was younger (even the sequel) but now can't find much, if anything, funny in it. Whereas The Mask still stands up for me.

I haven't seen Avatar since the cinema buthave a feeling I won't care much for it, despite quite enjoying it in all its over the top 3D glory on the big screen.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

Post #: 6
RE: Films you used to like but not so much now - 14/6/2012 11:06:12 AM   
hozay

Alpaville - Enjoyed it first time I saw it but when I watched it again recently I found it to be very boring and a bit silly.
Escape From New York - I never thought I'd say it but this too is pretty bad. Loved it years ago but it's aged terribly.

Post #: 7
RE: Films you used to like but not so much now - 14/6/2012 12:01:05 PM   
Whistler

I Am Legend. Saw it in the cinema and really liked it, then bought the DVD which I watched a couple of times and liked just as much, but then about a year ago I rewatched it and realised it's actually pretty rubbish. There are a couple of decent scenes but the rest is a mess.

(in reply to hozay)
Post #: 8
RE: Films you used to like but not so much now - 14/6/2012 12:05:33 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

I've also had similar reactions to a couple of the SW Prequels, enjoyed both AOTC and ROTS in the cinema (never liked TPM) but frankly don't care for them these days. 

I feel shocked.

Surprised you did a 180 on The Mist though. I think that film just gets better and better.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 9
RE: Films you used to like but not so much now - 14/6/2012 12:43:13 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

Surprised you did a 180 on The Mist though. I think that film just gets better and better.

I was surprised too, I was just bored by the whole thing and the CGI has aged terribly.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 10
RE: Films you used to like but not so much now - 14/6/2012 12:47:45 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

Watched The Mist (DC) recently and having enjoyed it very much on dvd a few years back I was dead excited to see the B&W version as Darabont originally intended and because I had been told it actually improves the film. However as I watched it I just kept thinking "this is actually quite shit" and being surprised by my reaction.

I've also had similar reactions to a couple of the SW Prequels, enjoyed both AOTC and ROTS in the cinema (never liked TPM) but frankly don't care for them these days. I share similar feelings for the Spiderman films.

Anyone else done a complete 180 on a film recently?

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 11
RE: Films you used to like but not so much now - 14/6/2012 12:48:01 PM   
great_badir

I used to love The Song Remains the Same (the Led Zepp concert film), but having watched it again recently for the first time in years I now realise it's a steaming pile of awfulness that (along with the accompanying album) is almost single-handedly responsible for British punk music.

Best/worst bit is John Bonham's fantasy sequence - whilst Page, Plant and Jones are all about fantastical dreamlike things, Bonzo becomes a brickie and has a pint of bitter in his local.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 12
RE: Films you used to like but not so much now - 14/6/2012 2:20:10 PM   
st3veebee

Having read the reverse in the bizzaro version of this thread I realised I enjoyed Scott Pilgrim FAR more hte first time I saw it in the cinema. Don't get me wrong, I definitely didn't hate it the second time, but it was far more annoying and less impressive.

Latest Films:

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 13
RE: Films you used to like but not so much now - 14/6/2012 3:25:16 PM   
Coyleone

Spiderman 3 I used to really like, but watched it a few months back on tv, and it's just not good. Burton's Batman films also, used to think they were awesome and 'dark and gothic OMG' but now I can't stand them.

< Message edited by Coyleone -- 14/6/2012 3:26:03 PM >

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 14
RE: Films you used to like but not so much now - 14/6/2012 3:56:22 PM   
Shifty Bench

Most recently it has been Teen Wolf. I used to like it when I was younger but watching it as recently as last year, it has aged terribly and is just boring. It's not even fun.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 15
RE: Films you used to like but not so much now - 15/6/2012 12:46:08 PM   
chewbacasnapsak

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

Most recently it has been Teen Wolf. I used to like it when I was younger but watching it as recently as last year, it has aged terribly and is just boring. It's not even fun.

I'll add to this 80s revelation, I managed to watch the Golden Child the other day on film 4 after work, I used to think everything Eddie Murphy did was awesome and I cherished my VHS copy for years, but watching it now... its really shit, a phoned in performance from Murphy, a shit story line, poor effects (even for its time). One or two amusing moments of banter with Murphy and the cast. But yeah its really shit...i miss my rose tinted 80s glasses.

"who'd pay a million dollars to have me killed"
"jealous husbands, outraged chefs, humiliated tailors...the list is endless"

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 16
RE: Films you used to like but not so much now - 15/6/2012 1:00:34 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: chewbacasnapsak

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

I'll add to this 80s revelation, I managed to watch the Golden Child the other day on film 4 after work, I used to think everything Eddie Murphy did was awesome and I cherished my VHS copy for years, but watching it now... its really shit, a phoned in performance from Murphy, a shit story line, poor effects (even for its time). One or two amusing moments of banter with Murphy and the cast. But yeah its really shit...i miss my rose tinted 80s glasses.

I thought everyone realised The Golden Child was shit back in the eighties!

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to chewbacasnapsak)
Post #: 17
RE: Films you used to like but not so much now - 15/6/2012 1:06:59 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot
I thought everyone realised The Golden Child was shit back in the eighties!

I was just gonna post the same.

Although I still laugh at the bit when he goes into the temple with the knife and does the DJ scratching thing.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 18
RE: Films you used to like but not so much now - 15/6/2012 2:55:26 PM   
BelowTheSun

I went through a phase where I watched pretty much nothing but horror films, so there are a lot of cheap slashers and the like that I loved at the time but now, looking back, they weren't good at all.

That said, I still love the Friday The 13th series, despite it probably being the cheapest, daftest franchise of them all.

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 19
RE: Films you used to like but not so much now - 15/6/2012 3:01:08 PM   
Harry Tuttle

My last viewing of Dodgeball was a bit cringe inducing. I used to love it but watching it again a few weeks back it dawned on me that Vince Vaughn just isn't funny. He can do cool and he can be amusing at times but he isn't funny enough to relegate early millenium Ben Stiller into a supporting role.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to BelowTheSun)
Post #: 20
RE: Films you used to like but not so much now - 15/6/2012 3:19:18 PM   
Hood_Man

I loved The Phantom Menace in the cinema and on VHS, and even when I watched it on DVD the first time. Now it's painfully dull.

Attack of the Clones was one I loved in the cinema, hated when I rented the VHS, bought it on DVD in November '04 during the hype for Revenge of the Sith, and I absolutely loved it.

Now I hate it again (I even think it's the weakest of the series since it barely matters in the grand saga whether it's seen or not).

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 21
RE: Films you used to like but not so much now - 15/6/2012 3:43:37 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

My last viewing of Dodgeball was a bit cringe inducing. I used to love it but watching it again a few weeks back it dawned on me that Vince Vaughn just isn't funny. He can do cool and he can be amusing at times but he isn't funny enough to relegate early millenium Ben Stiller into a supporting role.

This is just one of the very many reasons why Dodgeball is a poor man's BASEketball...

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

Post #: 22
RE: Films you used to like but not so much now - 15/6/2012 4:17:15 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

There's a shot in Dodgeball where Vince Vaughn is meant to be making a decision (take the money/save the gym), and I guess the intention is for him to look conflicted but it just looks like he's fallen asleep with his eyes open.

Terrible actor.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

Post #: 23
RE: Films you used to like but not so much now - 15/6/2012 4:45:16 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

quote:

There's a shot in Dodgeball where Vince Vaughn is meant to be making a decision (take the money/save the gym), and I guess the intention is for him to look conflicted but it just looks like he's fallen asleep with his eyes open.

Terrible actor.

Agreed about Dodgeball, good on the first viewing but after a few more it begins to unravel, in particular Vaughn's performance. He just phoned that one in.

And the funniest thing in Dodgeball is the young Patches O'Houlihan played by Hank Azaria. They should have just made a film based around him.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 24
RE: Films you used to like but not so much now - 18/6/2012 11:26:39 AM   
st3veebee

Actually I was very much on the Anchorman bandwagon when it came out so dismissed Dodgeball. I think it's perfectly fine now, but you're spot on about Vaughn though. Hasn't done anything decent in a looong time. Same goes for Stiller.

Agreed about Azaria in Dodgeball as well, that guy always steals the scenes he is in.

Latest Films:

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 25
RE: Films you used to like but not so much now - 18/6/2012 7:32:37 PM   
Dirk Miggler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

I loved The Phantom Menace in the cinema and on VHS, and even when I watched it on DVD the first time. Now it's painfully dull.

Attack of the Clones was one I loved in the cinema, hated when I rented the VHS, bought it on DVD in November '04 during the hype for Revenge of the Sith, and I absolutely loved it.

Now I hate it again (I even think it's the weakest of the series since it barely matters in the grand saga whether it's seen or not).

Could say the same for PM.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 26
RE: Films you used to like but not so much now - 20/6/2012 12:26:07 AM   
Valanya

Much as it pains me to say it... Interview With the Vampire I'm not exactly sure what sixteen-year-old-me was thinking when she was certain the casting was spot on.

What came first, the music or the misery?

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 27
RE: Films you used to like but not so much now - 20/6/2012 12:44:21 AM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirk Miggler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Could say the same for PM.

TPM at least introduces everyone. We don't need 2 and a half hours to tell us where Stormtroopers came from.

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 28
RE: Films you used to like but not so much now - 20/6/2012 11:35:13 AM   
st3veebee

quote:

ORIGINAL: Valanya

Much as it pains me to say it... Interview With the Vampire I'm not exactly sure what sixteen-year-old-me was thinking when she was certain the casting was spot on.

Brad?

Latest Films:

(in reply to Valanya)
Post #: 29
RE: Films you used to like but not so much now - 20/6/2012 12:29:18 PM   
Valanya

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

quote:

ORIGINAL: Valanya

Brad?

Actually, Brad Pitt's probably one of the least painful... but that's not saying much, considering the casting of Tom Cruise and Antonio Banderas.

Kirsten Dunst is probably the best casting in the whole film. Shame she's not given a performance half as good since!

What came first, the music or the misery?

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Films you used to like but not so much now Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI