My top 10...

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> My top 10... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
My top 10... - 13/6/2012 6:59:00 PM   
Coyleone

Just wanted to post a list of what I consider to be the best film's I've watched, basically the ones that I feel are on a higher level than most others, and the ones that just struck that chord with me...

1. The Godfather Part II
I still consider this to be the best film I've ever seen. The contrast between father and son, and the study of a character turning into something he never wanted to be is portrayed to perfection not only by Coppola's direction but Pacino's performance. Every aspect of the film is masterful, from the acting to the score to the cinematography.

2. Magnolia
A masterpiece, and PTA's best film. Very rarely am I just totally flawed after a film ends and the credits start rolling, but this just had that affect on me. I didn't know what to do after in ended. A very powerful film about a day in the life of 9 different characters living in LA, and how they are all somehow connected. Tom Cruise delivers an amazing performance, one I never expected to see from him, but the entire cast is award worthy and it's a hell of an ensemble cast. The entire last hour just stunned me with it's emotional and artistic power.

3. The Godfather
A brilliant portrayal of the fall of a father and the rise of a son to power in the mafia. The character journey of Michael Corleone is one of the best in any film I can remember, and it's again such a powerhouse performance from Pacino, only surpassed by his performance in the second film.

4. Apocalypse Now
Quite a frightening and abstract look into how war can change someone completely. The film looks visually great, and it ends up being more akin to a thriller (kind of) than a war movie. The ride of the Valkyries scene remains one of my favourite scenes ever, and Brando is terrifying as the mysterious Colonel Kurtz. The last act is amazing to watch every time, and the use of The Doors 'The End' adds an extra layer of power to the whole thing. IMO, the best movie about war and it's affects ever.

5. The Tree Of Life
A stunning, beautiful, fascinating film. No other film had the affect that this one did one me the first time I saw it. Visually it is the best I've ever seen. The films themes can be seen by some as too religious, but the film ends up being about a lot more than religion or Christianity, and it poses a lot of questions. I don't remember a film staying in my mind as long as this one did, I couldn't stop thinking about it for so long. This is Malick's best film for me, and as close to a piece of pure art as I've ever seen a film come.

6. The Empire Strikes Back
Amazing sci-fi epic that takes the first film (which is great too) and expands not only the Star Wars universe, but adds an extra layer of emotion and darkness to the series. I find myself never growing tired of this film despite having seen it more than any other. The practical effects are incredible to this day, and look even more impressive when compared with today's use of CGI. Darth Vader is turned into the incredible, terrifying villain we know him as in this film, there is a real presence and aura surrounding the character, especially as he charges through the rebel base on Hoth looking for Luke. The scene with the Falcon being chased into the asteroid field and the scenes of the empire's fleet set to that iconic music are spine tingling every time, and then of course there are the final scenes. So much fun, so much awesomeness.

7. Pulp Fiction
Tarantino's best film, and possibly the best film of the 90's for me. Funny, tense, violent and cool in equal measure. The dialogue is just superb, and delivered to perfection by every member of the cast. Just an incredibly cool movie that I never tire of. Always makes me laugh and the final scene always amazes me. Never has a film that was so dialogue heavy been so cool and fun to watch.

8. The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford
A masterclass in slow building tension and suspense. Beautiful to look at and with a brilliant performance by Brad Pitt. It's a very slow moving affair, but it builds and builds the tension throughout and leads to an amazing pay off. The score is also great and adds to the atmosphere of the film so well.

9. Goodfellas
A totally engrossing look into the world of gangsters through from the 60's to the 80's. No matter how many times I see it I always feel completely invested in the characters and world that Scorsese has created. The film has the best use of music I've seen, with a song constantly playing, and always fitting in with the scene as well as the time period. The cinematography is also superb, and that tracking shot that follows Henry and Karen in to the restaurant is amazing to watch as we feel the way Karen does on the screen, getting that glimpse straight into the life of the men in the mob.

10. Drive
Stylish, brutal, powerful and beautiful to look at. Ryan Gosling is amazing in his role, and the character transformation is brilliant. Very violent in places, but amazingly well down and very important in advancing the character and the film. The car chases are short but awesome, and there are tons of iconic moments. Extremely tense throughout, edge of your seat stuff that I've watched 3 times and remains insanely cool and just great to watch. There isn't one thing I would change about this film, from the music which fits so well and adds to that tension, to the films reasonably short length. Brilliant.

Honorable mentions, or films that didn't quite make it into my top 10:

Pan's Labyrinth
Toy Story 3
Return Of The King
Fight Club
Seven
Boogie Nights
Post #: 1
RE: My top 10... - 13/6/2012 7:08:16 PM   
matty_b

With those choices, you're allowed to stay.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 2
RE: My top 10... - 13/6/2012 9:50:56 PM   
MonsterCat

SPAMBOT!!! STUDIO PLANT!!! BABY LICENCES!!!

Nah, that's a good list. You put Magnolia at No.2, which means you have impeccable taste.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 3
RE: My top 10... - 13/6/2012 11:59:03 PM   
Coyleone

Lol thanks .

To be honest there are a few on the honorable mentions list that could make it in to my top 10 on another day, but as of now this would be it. I don't usually like doing lists like this because it's so hard to pick, not really been in this sub forum though so I thought I'd give it a go.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 4
RE: My top 10... - 14/6/2012 8:01:14 AM   
matty_b

Stick around, you'll get loads of good recommendations in this bit.

Apart from a guy called rawlinson. Never, ever, EVER watch anything he recommends.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 5
RE: My top 10... - 14/6/2012 1:40:17 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Stick around, you'll get loads of good recommendations in this bit.

Apart from a guy called rawlinson. Never, ever, EVER watch anything he recommends.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> My top 10... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI