Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Best 'weird' thing you have ever eaten

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: Best 'weird' thing you have ever eaten Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Best 'weird' thing you have ever eaten - 13/6/2012 10:37:59 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lucky Day
Is it? I never really thought about it but I suppose bad things would happen if you got involved in this. What kind of diseases (I'm just curious, not planning on going out and eating a bear or anything)

For one, it's how mad cow disease started - cows were being fed mashed up dead cows in their feed. You've also got the problem with parasites, things like ringworm, etc etc.

I'm no expert on it, but it IS the case and, important to note, that it's only a problem with humans eating other carnivorous mammals (crocodile, alligator and shark etc can all be eaten safely).

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Lucky Day)
Post #: 31
RE: Best 'weird' thing you have ever eaten - 13/6/2012 10:39:06 PM   
Shifty Bench

Awww, I like using that AVGN gif.....

And I still will

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 32
RE: Best 'weird' thing you have ever eaten - 13/6/2012 10:40:22 PM   
Hood_Man

Kangaroo meat! That's the other one I was thinking of. I went to a restaurant a few years ago where they gave you a selection of steaks which you could cook yourself on a superheated slab of volcanic rock. I had Ostrich, Kangaroo and I think the third was Sirloin.

Ostrich and Sirloin were lovely, but the Kangaroo steak tasted a bit too salty to me.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 33
RE: Best 'weird' thing you have ever eaten - 13/6/2012 10:42:00 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

Awww, I like using that AVGN gif.....

And I still will

Best 'weird' thing you have ever eaten?
I need to take more risks........

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 34
RE: Best 'weird' thing you have ever eaten - 13/6/2012 10:42:28 PM   
Lucky Day

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

quote:

Is it? I never really thought about it but I suppose bad things would happen if you got involved in this. What kind of diseases (I'm just curious, not planning on going out and eating a bear or anything)

For one, it's how mad cow disease started - cows were being fed mashed up dead cows in their feed. You've also got the problem with parasites, things like ringworm, etc etc.

I'm no expert on it, but it IS the case and, important to note, that it's only a problem with humans eating other carnivorous mammals (crocodile, alligator and shark etc can all be eaten safely).

It's true to say, you learn something new everyday. I think I did know that about mad cow disease but had forgotten again. As I say, I wasn't planning on it, but you never know what might seem like a good idea in some other country after a couple of beers

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 35
RE: Best 'weird' thing you have ever eaten - 13/6/2012 10:42:30 PM   
great_badir

quote:

Part of haggis is a sheep's stomach, a part of an animal that you don't normally eat, so I'd consider that to be weird. Especially if you get to say 'brains'* which is a delicacy in some countries

I think it's the idea of and what goes into haggis that puts most people off. I'm not keen on offal, not because I'm squeamish about it, I just don't like the texture and the very strong iron flavour, but in haggis it's all so well minced up and highly seasoned that the actual taste is far from weird.

Plus you don't eat the sheep's stomach anyway. Well, you're not supposed to...

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

Post #: 36
RE: Best 'weird' thing you have ever eaten - 13/6/2012 10:45:42 PM   
Lucky Day

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Kangaroo meat! That's the other one I was thinking of. I went to a restaurant a few years ago where they gave you a selection of steaks which you could cook yourself on a superheated slab of volcanic rock. I had Ostrich, Kangaroo and I think the third was Sirloin.

Ostrich and Sirloin were lovely, but the Kangaroo steak tasted a bit too salty to me.

They must have had big windows.............................................................................................. 'cos they saw you coming

< Message edited by Lucky Day -- 13/6/2012 11:16:47 PM >

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 37
RE: Best 'weird' thing you have ever eaten - 13/6/2012 10:52:02 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

quote:

Part of haggis is a sheep's stomach, a part of an animal that you don't normally eat, so I'd consider that to be weird. Especially if you get to say 'brains'* which is a delicacy in some countries

I think it's the idea of and what goes into haggis that puts most people off. I'm not keen on offal, not because I'm squeamish about it, I just don't like the texture and the very strong iron flavour, but in haggis it's all so well minced up and highly seasoned that the actual taste is far from weird.

Plus you don't eat the sheep's stomach anyway. Well, you're not supposed to...

I think it's mostly cooked in sausage meat rather than stomach anyway, these days. I haven't had it since I was a kid and I remember hating it. I have never tried it since. I don't like black pudding either

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

Post #: 38
RE: Best 'weird' thing you have ever eaten - 13/6/2012 10:55:59 PM   
great_badir

quote:

I think it's mostly cooked in sausage meat rather than stomach anyway, these days. I haven't had it since I was a kid and I remember hating it. I have never tried it since. I don't like black pudding either

Most haggis is sold in a plastic wrap now - you have to go to real old school butchers in Scotland to get the "proper" stuff these days.

But give it a try - your adult taste buds may like it. The sum does not taste the equal of its parts, in a good way. I guarantee if you like highly flavoured cheapo sausages, you'll almost certainly like haggis.

Also, I LOVE black pudding...

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

Post #: 39
RE: Best 'weird' thing you have ever eaten - 13/6/2012 10:56:19 PM   
Rinc

I've also had alligator and snake (not together). Alligator didn't taste much different from other meats and snake wasn't very nice. It was like a weird combo of chicken and fish texture wise. Although I partly blame the restuarant because none of their food was good.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

Post #: 40
RE: Best 'weird' thing you have ever eaten - 13/6/2012 11:06:34 PM   
Hood_Man

Black pudding is one that I absolutely despised as a kid, but now I quite like it every now and again.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 41
RE: Best 'weird' thing you have ever eaten - 13/6/2012 11:36:43 PM   
homersimpson_esq

I love Black Pudding. I've had Haggis once and enjoyed it. I'll try the local cuisine. I've had snails (garlicy, tho that may have been the garlic butter it was marinaded [marinated?] in...)

I've had octopus.

Shark.

I'm sure there are others, but I forget off the top of my head.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 42
RE: Best 'weird' thing you have ever eaten - 14/6/2012 1:07:47 PM   
sharkboy

I've sampled the usual range of exotic meats like ostrich, kangaroo, crocodile, alligator, zebra, bison, springbok, impala and wildebeest (it helps to live in a city whose christmas market includes an exotic meat burger stand!) .  I've also had shark (too much like cannibalism!) and, perhaps wierdest meat-wise, a camel rib-eye (which was delicious).  In terms of overall weird food, I think the tops still has to be a chocolate covered locust, though now that I've found a local shop that can supply them, I'm tempted to try some of the insect cuisine that's getting more popular - high in protein, practically fat-free and, by all accounts, pretty tasty.   I've also enjoyed a cup of kopi luwak coffee from a coffee conisseur friend.  For those who are unfamiliar with it, its a very rare coffee that is brewed using beans that have first passed throught the digestive tract of a civet cat which causes the beans to undergo a slight fermentation, giving them a unique taste.  And no, it didn't taste like crap

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 43
RE: Best 'weird' thing you have ever eaten - 14/6/2012 1:11:33 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

quote:

They must have had big windows.............................................................................................. 'cos they saw you coming

You never tried a hot stone restaurant?  It's a great way to enjoy a nice piece of meat - you slice it thin, then cook each slice exactly to your own taste.  And it's good fun.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Lucky Day)
Post #: 44
RE: Best 'weird' thing you have ever eaten - 14/6/2012 1:16:02 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

quote:

quote:

You never tried a hot stone restaurant?  It's a great way to enjoy a nice piece of meat - you slice it thin, then cook each slice exactly to your own taste.  And it's good fun.

There's a place near us that bring you your own individual hot stone for cooking it on your plate (I'm sure a lot of places do this, but I've only ever seen it in this place). Which is brilliant until you've had a few pints, and you forget that even after an hour the plate is still really hot, and burn your forearm on it.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 45
RE: Best 'weird' thing you have ever eaten - 14/6/2012 1:18:35 PM   
Spaldron

I posted on here last night and its gone?!!

Anyways like I said, Octopus (or possibly Squid I cant remember which) At first I thought it was an onion ring as it was round and coated in batter but after I found out I stopped eating, just the thought of it put me off (although it wasn't that bad actually).

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 46
RE: Best 'weird' thing you have ever eaten - 14/6/2012 1:27:54 PM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy
I've also enjoyed a cup of kopi luwak coffee from a coffee conisseur friend.  For those who are unfamiliar with it, its a very rare coffee that is brewed using beans that have first passed throught the digestive tract of a civet cat which causes the beans to undergo a slight fermentation, giving them a unique taste.  And no, it didn't taste like crap

The first people that drunk this, what were they thinking?

"Damn, no coffee left. What can we use instead?"
"Uhhm, there's some cat shit over there?"
"Sorted."

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 47
RE: Best 'weird' thing you have ever eaten - 14/6/2012 2:01:31 PM   
matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

Not too sure if it's the best but the most challenging in that looking at it I had minor qualms but thought sod it when in Rome…or Vietnam - Balut.

I've never heard of that, but it sounds interesting, I think I'll Google it to find out what it - JESUS FUCK YOU WHAT.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 48
RE: Best 'weird' thing you have ever eaten - 14/6/2012 2:30:05 PM   
impqueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

Not too sure if it's the best but the most challenging in that looking at it I had minor qualms but thought sod it when in Rome…or Vietnam - Balut.

I've never heard of that, but it sounds interesting, I think I'll Google it to find out what it - JESUS FUCK YOU WHAT.

Yes, always.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 49
RE: Best 'weird' thing you have ever eaten - 14/6/2012 2:35:33 PM   
shool

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"
Post #: 50
RE: Best 'weird' thing you have ever eaten - 14/6/2012 2:37:23 PM   
Chief

I heard it tastes good spread on quackers.

Post #: 51
RE: Best 'weird' thing you have ever eaten - 14/6/2012 2:47:47 PM   
impqueen

I admit it’s not as nice looking as a lamb chop but it tasted fine with some salt and chilli.

Yes, always.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 52
RE: Best 'weird' thing you have ever eaten - 14/6/2012 2:57:35 PM   
talpacino

Yeah that's pretty much the most disgusting "food" I've ever seen. I'd be heaving long before I got it near my mouth. I imagine you just throw it in there, chew once or twice and swallow and let your digestive system deal with it.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 53
RE: Best 'weird' thing you have ever eaten - 14/6/2012 3:18:43 PM   
st3veebee

Had kangaroo but that seems to have been mentioned a few times already.

Also had rotten shark while in Iceland which is apparently the best hangover cure known to man (.....from Iceland). It wasn't too bad tasting.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 54
RE: Best 'weird' thing you have ever eaten - 14/6/2012 4:46:57 PM   
Hood_Man

So we're cool with someone trying their own feces but a duck fetus? Oh that's too far

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 55
RE: Best 'weird' thing you have ever eaten - 14/6/2012 4:52:14 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

So we're cool with someone trying their own feces but a duck fetus? Oh that's too far

I'd rather eat shit than dead babies.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 56
RE: Best 'weird' thing you have ever eaten - 14/6/2012 4:59:16 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

Does that include veal? Because I've gotta tell you, I'd much rather eat veal than shit.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 57
RE: Best 'weird' thing you have ever eaten - 14/6/2012 5:14:21 PM   
Hood_Man

Cheese is a pretty odd thing actually. Sour, solid mush from an animals teat, I'd love to know how people reacted when the first human tried that "dude... wtf are you doing to that cow??"

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 58
RE: Best 'weird' thing you have ever eaten - 14/6/2012 5:16:03 PM   
impqueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

Out of curiosity are you a vegetarian?

Yes, always.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 59
RE: Best 'weird' thing you have ever eaten - 14/6/2012 5:16:54 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Speaking of rotten food, there was that thing on QI a year or so back, that they were expressly told not to open. I forget what it was.

True story, blud.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: Best 'weird' thing you have ever eaten Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI