Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Notting Hill

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Notting Hill Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Notting Hill - 3/8/2012 8:14:18 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man
I like to quote, highlight bits that I'm not replying to, delete, and produce a much smaller post.

One agrees.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 91
RE: Notting Hill - 3/8/2012 8:16:03 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

Because the film is set in Notting Hill (or at least a version of it) still doesn't mean that the film has to be about the place, don't really thnk Manhattan is about the city.

Not really an entirely apt comparison. The city is intrinsic to Manhattan, and is represented almost as a character in its own right. Curtis never did that with Notting Hill. Notting Hill in the movie is basically just a door and a bookshop populated by white people, rather than a vibrant hub of multiculturalism.

I agree with you on Manhattan but that is more an artistic aspect which doesn't take away from the love story at the heart of the story, it is just that view of New York is a good back drop for that sort of romance. I don't think Curtis tries to make Notting Hill about the city therefore trying to judge the film on that basis doesn't make sense.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 92
RE: Notting Hill - 3/8/2012 8:35:56 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

I like Hood_Man.

Aww thanks

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 93
RE: Notting Hill - 4/8/2012 2:21:19 PM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

quote:

Because the film is set in Notting Hill (or at least a version of it) still doesn't mean that the film has to be about the place, don't really thnk Manhattan is about the city.

Not really an entirely apt comparison. The city is intrinsic to Manhattan, and is represented almost as a character in its own right. Curtis never did that with Notting Hill. Notting Hill in the movie is basically just a door and a bookshop populated by white people, rather than a vibrant hub of multiculturalism.

I agree with you on Manhattan but that is more an artistic aspect which doesn't take away from the love story at the heart of the story, it is just that view of New York is a good back drop for that sort of romance. I don't think Curtis tries to make Notting Hill about the city therefore trying to judge the film on that basis doesn't make sense.

It's much more than an artistic aspect, it is much a love letter to Manhattan as it is about Woody's relationship with Keaton. The first five minutes or so aren't even exacty part of the story, it's an ode to Manhattan and the culture found within it. It even ends with it at the end with Manhattan looking more stunning than ever.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 4/8/2012 2:22:01 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 94
RE: Notting Hill - 4/8/2012 3:44:00 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

quote:

quote:

It's much more than an artistic aspect, it is much a love letter to Manhattan as it is about Woody's relationship with Keaton. The first five minutes or so aren't even exacty part of the story, it's an ode to Manhattan and the culture found within it. It even ends with it at the end with Manhattan looking more stunning than ever.

I understand its a love letter to the city and that Manhattan serves as a character in its own right but my point is that Manhattan is still used as metaphor for the love story between the characters, but my point still stands and that is that a title of a movie doesn't really have to be telling you what it is about and I think most people who watch Notting Hill won't think that it is meant to be about the area. Can we please move on now

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 95
RE: Notting Hill - 7/8/2012 4:44:01 PM   
Deviation

It's not just a metaphor, it's a setting as vital to the plot as space is to the horror of Alien. Notting Hill gives a pretty (literally) white-washed view of Notting Hill, Manhattan is Manhattan as it is known. It could have happened anywhere, but instead Curtis chose to take a place known for its multi-ethnicity and make it white. It's not just a problem with the name, the name makes it more dubious, it's a problem already found with the way Notting Hill itself is portrayed.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 96
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Notting Hill Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI