Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Notting Hill

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Notting Hill Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Notting Hill - 3/8/2012 9:53:07 AM   
Hood_Man

"There's something wrong with this yoghurt."

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 61
RE: Notting Hill - 3/8/2012 9:54:36 AM   
rawlinson

Can someone start one about Love, Actually now so I can mention how Will Self compared it to Nazi propaganda?

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 62
RE: Notting Hill - 3/8/2012 9:57:03 AM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

Then why are you feeding him?

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 63
RE: Notting Hill - 3/8/2012 10:04:21 AM   
snaze1

quote:

Because he cant quite believe someone would have an opinion that differs from his

Post #: 64
RE: Notting Hill - 3/8/2012 10:20:49 AM   
matty_b

This thread, in Favourite Films, now has more pages than the one for Lawrence of Arabia.

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA.

I hope you're all fucking happy with yourselves.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to snaze1)
Post #: 65
RE: Notting Hill - 3/8/2012 10:21:31 AM   
matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Great now I have SHE in my head.

Thanks a bunch guys.

FUCKS SAKE GIRV YOU HAD TO SPREAD IT.

quote:

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 66
RE: Notting Hill - 3/8/2012 10:23:22 AM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson
Too busy getting facts about Blair Witch wrong.

Oh, I have missed something, where is this?

My top 300 thread... Sigh.

Also, matty, I'd rather watch Notting Hill again than Lawrence of Arabia.

Although granted, that is because LoA is about 14 months long.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 67
RE: Notting Hill - 3/8/2012 10:26:27 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: snaze1

quote:

Because he cant quite believe someone would have an opinion that differs from his

Hilarious.

Snaze, if you honestly can't see the difference between coming into a thread and making personal comments about another poster vs entering a thread to take part in an ongoing discussion, then perhaps you might want to have a think about it. The latter we describe as trolling - someone who appears only to attack and not make any substantial contribution. Cliff notes - if you enter a thread and your first post is just to call someone an idiot? You're in the wrong.

The - the issue of Curtis whitewashing his fantasy version of London is valid to discuss, even if it is, to an extent IMO, just another way to club Curtis' work. If you've got anything sensible to say about that there is no issue with that. But stow the rest, yes? We're not IMDB. Thank you.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to snaze1)
Post #: 68
RE: Notting Hill - 3/8/2012 10:29:01 AM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

Too busy getting facts about Blair Witch wrong.

Oh, I have missed something, where is this?

My top 300 thread... Sigh.

Also, matty, I'd rather watch Notting Hill again than Lawrence of Arabia.

Although granted, that is because LoA is about 14 months long.

Ah - the theory of time relativity in film/TV viewing. One half hour of Seinfeld = 17 days 2hours, Eureka - 15mins 3 secs.

Notting Hill passes by unoffensively in the background. I did actually think about it last night when I nearly needed to wear sunglasses to watch a film as I forgot my glasses.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 69
RE: Notting Hill - 3/8/2012 10:33:18 AM   
snaze1

quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh, I know. But given that it wasn't actually part of the flow of the conversation it's also fairly obviously snaze trying to get in yet another spot of trolling.

Oh dear, someone disagree with you so they are obviously a troll.
Actually i was not the only person to disagree with your views on page 1 of the thread so maybe your views belong in unpopular opinions.

You're not a troll because you disagree with me. You're a troll because

A. You didn't enter the thread with a calm, reasonable attempt to debate. Your first post here was a personal attack.

quote:

Great, another Politically correct idiot who sees "racism" everywhere when there is none and would probably defend REAL racist stuff like "White chicks" because its black people being racist to whites!

B. Because you keep trying to create strawman arguments. You keep saying they're my views, or my opinions. Even though it's been explained to you more than once in the thread that the views aren't actually mine, that I'm explaining why there has been past criticism of the film as racist. You choose to ignore this.

C. Because instead of debating the merits of whether Notting Hill is or isn't racist, you tried to shift the focus to a completely unrelated film. You haven't once attempted to actually engage with the topic.

D. When asked why you think White Chicks is racist, you gave two reasons, one that was proven wrong (that it wouldn't be allowed in reverse), and one you've refused to expand on (why whiteface is automatically racist, regardless of context).

E. You've avoided explaining why it's REAL racism, despite being asked several times.

F. When you couldn't find anything to say to back up your points, you resorted to yet another personal attack

quote:

I really cant be bothered to argue with somone who is that thick

You stormed in to try and stir up an argument, refused to back up your assertions, refused to engage with questions asked of you, kept making the same claims repeatedly, even when told that wasn't the case, and you kept throwing around insults. That's why you're a troll.

Ok i will admit i came into this a little heavy handed and the silly name calling, for that i apologize.
I just get really annoyed when people use the racism card when there is no case to answer.
I did try to defend my argument (using White chicks as an example in the same way you used Tropic thunder) but as you disagree with my opinion you refuse to accept my side of it.
And to be fair you still haven't given a reasonable explanation as to why Notting hill is racist.
A film that is set in an area that is racially diverse but focuses on characters that are white hardly makes it racist does it?
Eastenders is set in the most multicultural area of the UK but doesn't feature one Russian, Polish, Lithuanian or kosovan character but i dont hear calls for it to be taken off air because its racist (Although i do think it should be taken off for being shit).

I think the best thing we can do here is agree to disagree on this one, shake hands and walk away.
This conclusion was partly come to by my wife looking over my shoulder and saying "I cant believe your having an argument with someone you dont even know" leaving me feeling a little shamefaced!

To end, DOES anyone (Apart from my sparring partner) believe Notting hill really is racist?

< Message edited by snaze1 -- 3/8/2012 10:36:34 AM >

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 70
RE: Notting Hill - 3/8/2012 10:35:13 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

This thread, in Favourite Films, now has more pages than the one for Lawrence of Arabia.

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA.

I hope you're all fucking happy with yourselves.

You're complaining one thread is longer than the other while posting in this thread and not the other, making it even longer? You're such a Matty.

quote:

Snaze, if you honestly can't see the difference between coming into a thread and making personal comments about another poster vs entering a thread to take part in an ongoing discussion, then perhaps you might want to have a think about it. The latter we describe as trolling - someone who appears only to attack and not make any substantial contribution. Cliff notes - if you enter a thread and your first post is just to call someone an idiot? You're in the wrong.

Thank you.

quote:

The - the issue of Curtis whitewashing his fantasy version of London is valid to discuss, even if it is, to an extent IMO, just another way to club Curtis' work.

To be fair to the critics, the writing is reason enough to club Curtis.

quote:

One half hour of Seinfeld = 17 days 2hours

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 71
RE: Notting Hill - 3/8/2012 10:39:51 AM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

You're such a Matty.

Can this become a thing, please?

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 72
RE: Notting Hill - 3/8/2012 10:44:35 AM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh, I know. But given that it wasn't actually part of the flow of the conversation it's also fairly obviously snaze trying to get in yet another spot of trolling.

Oh dear, someone disagree with you so they are obviously a troll.
Actually i was not the only person to disagree with your views on page 1 of the thread so maybe your views belong in unpopular opinions.

You're not a troll because you disagree with me. You're a troll because

A. You didn't enter the thread with a calm, reasonable attempt to debate. Your first post here was a personal attack.

quote:

Great, another Politically correct idiot who sees "racism" everywhere when there is none and would probably defend REAL racist stuff like "White chicks" because its black people being racist to whites!

B. Because you keep trying to create strawman arguments. You keep saying they're my views, or my opinions. Even though it's been explained to you more than once in the thread that the views aren't actually mine, that I'm explaining why there has been past criticism of the film as racist. You choose to ignore this.

C. Because instead of debating the merits of whether Notting Hill is or isn't racist, you tried to shift the focus to a completely unrelated film. You haven't once attempted to actually engage with the topic.

D. When asked why you think White Chicks is racist, you gave two reasons, one that was proven wrong (that it wouldn't be allowed in reverse), and one you've refused to expand on (why whiteface is automatically racist, regardless of context).

E. You've avoided explaining why it's REAL racism, despite being asked several times.

F. When you couldn't find anything to say to back up your points, you resorted to yet another personal attack

quote:

I really cant be bothered to argue with somone who is that thick

You stormed in to try and stir up an argument, refused to back up your assertions, refused to engage with questions asked of you, kept making the same claims repeatedly, even when told that wasn't the case, and you kept throwing around insults. That's why you're a troll.

Ok i will admit i came into this a little heavy handed and the silly name calling, for that i apologize.
I just get really annoyed when people use the racism card when there is no case to answer.
I did try to defend my argument (using White chicks as an example in the same way you used Tropic thunder) but as you disagree with my opinion you refuse to accept my side of it.
And to be fair you still haven't given a reasonable explanation as to why Notting hill is racist.
A film that is set in an area that is racially diverse but focuses on characters that are white hardly makes it racist does it?
Eastenders is set in the most multicultural area of the UK but doesn't feature one Russian, Polish, Lithuanian or kosovan character but i dont hear calls for it to be taken off air because its racist (Although i do think it should be taken off for being shit).

I think the best thing we can do here is agree to disagree on this one, shake hands and walk away.
This conclusion was partly come to by my wife looking over my shoulder and saying "I cant believe your having an argument with someone you dont even know" leaving me feeling a little shamefaced!

To end, DOES anyone (Apart from my sparring partner) believe Notting hill really is racist?

I realise this argument isn't film, but maybe if you think about it another way it might back-up why people noticed it.

I wish I could remember the company - a few years ago there was a big hoo-haa because a company photo on their website (was it a US car company maybe) had been edited to remove the black employees. And it wasn't the only instance of this that I recall. A major furore ensued and I can't quite remember what the response was from the people that had done it. But people who know Notting Hill - which is, after all, still best known for the massive carnival that takes place there - felt the same way about the film. It looks like some very sloany part of London so they just felt the title was quite odd- because the words Notting Hill call something to mind which is the opposite of what was in the film. The disconnect was enough for some people to find it noteworthy is all.

quote:

(in reply to snaze1)
Post #: 73
RE: Notting Hill - 3/8/2012 11:00:20 AM   
Whistler

I thought this was a thread about Notting Hill...?

Eddy's Film Review
Latest: Need For Speed, Under The Skin, 300: Rise Of An Empire

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 74
RE: Notting Hill - 3/8/2012 11:06:17 AM   
matty_b

quote:

quote:

You're such a Matty.

No.

quote:

Post #: 75
RE: Notting Hill - 3/8/2012 11:07:34 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

quote:

quote:

You're such a Matty.

No.

Yeah, too late.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 76
RE: Notting Hill - 3/8/2012 11:09:59 AM   
Rgirvan44

Stop Mattying the thread Matty.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 77
RE: Notting Hill - 3/8/2012 11:10:48 AM   
matty_b

FUCKS SAKE

quote:

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 78
RE: Notting Hill - 3/8/2012 11:13:42 AM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

I thought this was a thread about Notting Hill...?

To be fair, this thread is much more entertaining than the film

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 79
RE: Notting Hill - 3/8/2012 11:14:21 AM   
superdan

quote:

I don't. But I can understand why some people may think otherwise.

(in reply to snaze1)
Post #: 80
RE: Notting Hill - 3/8/2012 11:21:45 AM   
Rgirvan44

I don't think it is...tone deaf to the area and the people for sure, but nothing deliberate I think.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 81
RE: Notting Hill - 3/8/2012 11:23:50 AM   
matty_b

I don't think it is either, but I do think it's indicative of a very conservative writer/director with an extremely narrow viewpoint on the world.

quote:

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 82
RE: Notting Hill - 3/8/2012 11:29:45 AM   
Rgirvan44

Which is strange because Curtis usually gets accused of leftie bias.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 83
RE: Notting Hill - 3/8/2012 12:09:46 PM   
matty_b

I think he's a mixture of politically left/liberal, culturally conservative.

I can't believe we're devoting this much attention to Richard Curtis.

quote:

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 84
RE: Notting Hill - 3/8/2012 6:31:37 PM   
Hood_Man

Did anyone else have Spike stuck in their heads when watching the new Spider-Man? Whenever he turned up in his sewer lair, butt naked after transforming back into the human from his Lizard form, I kept expecting him to turn to the camera and say "I went out in my god damn underwear too!"

< Message edited by Hood_Man -- 3/8/2012 6:32:14 PM >

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 85
RE: Notting Hill - 3/8/2012 7:41:00 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

^ Okay but that does happen a lot in these sorts of british romances, but the point is it is not a film about muticulturism it is a story of a realtionship between two people from completely different ends of the social ladder, this is just like when the French complained that Amerie provided a over glossy view of Paris, get over it!

No, it's nothing alike. One is called Amelie, it's specifically about the lead character. The other is named after the place. If you name a film after a location, then you're saying the film is as much about the place as the people. None of the critics of the film are saying the film had to be an ode to multiculturism, they're saying that the fact that a very racially diverse area has been whitewashed in a film named after that area bothers them.

So i suppose by your reasoning the films Beverly hills cop, Pearl harbour and Waterloo are all racist too because they are not all about the multi cultralism of the places they are set in???

What a load of shit

Beverly Hills Cop - About the cop. In Beverly Hills.
Pearl Harbour - About the wartime attack. On Pearl Harbour.
Waterloo - About the battle of Waterloo

Do you really need this explained to you or are you just trolling?

quote:

Do you really need this explained to you or are you just trolling?[/quote]

No i dont need it explaining but it appears you need the following explaining to you:
Notting hill - About an actress and a normal guy meeting and falling in love who happen to live in Notting hill!!!!

So why is Notting Hill the title? What does that say about the film? It's obviously been very specifically chosen.
quote:

Probably because you put " I don't think the film would have been landed with the racist tag if he'd called it something more realistic".

When you write the word "I" it implies you are refering to you and your opinion.

Yes, and my opinion was that by focusing on the people rather than the area the film wouldn't have received as much criticism. Now find where I actually call it racist.

Also, why is White Chicks REAL racism? Is it just because you perceive it to be black on white racism, or do you actually have a reason?

Because the film is set in Notting Hill (or at least a version of it) still doesn't mean that the film has to be about the place, don't really thnk Manhattan is about the city.

Also even if the criticism of Curtis misrepresenting the city and this being against what he presented the film as I still don't see how that is racist?

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 86
RE: Notting Hill - 3/8/2012 7:48:25 PM   
superdan

quote:

Because the film is set in Notting Hill (or at least a version of it) still doesn't mean that the film has to be about the place, don't really thnk Manhattan is about the city.

Not really an entirely apt comparison. The city is intrinsic to Manhattan, and is represented almost as a character in its own right. Curtis never did that with Notting Hill. Notting Hill in the movie is basically just a door and a bookshop populated by white people, rather than a vibrant hub of multiculturalism.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 87
RE: Notting Hill - 3/8/2012 7:57:23 PM   
snaze1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

^ Okay but that does happen a lot in these sorts of british romances, but the point is it is not a film about muticulturism it is a story of a realtionship between two people from completely different ends of the social ladder, this is just like when the French complained that Amerie provided a over glossy view of Paris, get over it!

No, it's nothing alike. One is called Amelie, it's specifically about the lead character. The other is named after the place. If you name a film after a location, then you're saying the film is as much about the place as the people. None of the critics of the film are saying the film had to be an ode to multiculturism, they're saying that the fact that a very racially diverse area has been whitewashed in a film named after that area bothers them.

So i suppose by your reasoning the films Beverly hills cop, Pearl harbour and Waterloo are all racist too because they are not all about the multi cultralism of the places they are set in???

What a load of shit

Beverly Hills Cop - About the cop. In Beverly Hills.
Pearl Harbour - About the wartime attack. On Pearl Harbour.
Waterloo - About the battle of Waterloo

Do you really need this explained to you or are you just trolling?

quote:

Do you really need this explained to you or are you just trolling?[/quote]

No i dont need it explaining but it appears you need the following explaining to you:
Notting hill - About an actress and a normal guy meeting and falling in love who happen to live in Notting hill!!!!

So why is Notting Hill the title? What does that say about the film? It's obviously been very specifically chosen.
quote:

Probably because you put " I don't think the film would have been landed with the racist tag if he'd called it something more realistic".

When you write the word "I" it implies you are refering to you and your opinion.

Yes, and my opinion was that by focusing on the people rather than the area the film wouldn't have received as much criticism. Now find where I actually call it racist.

Also, why is White Chicks REAL racism? Is it just because you perceive it to be black on white racism, or do you actually have a reason?

Also even if the criticism of Curtis misrepresenting the city and this being against what he presented the film as I still don't see how that is racist?

I wouldnt bother mate, i tried & it all got a bit shitty.

< Message edited by snaze1 -- 3/8/2012 7:58:01 PM >

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 88
RE: Notting Hill - 3/8/2012 7:57:40 PM   
elab49

No one was saying it had to be about the place, though - that wasn't the point.

quote:

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 89
RE: Notting Hill - 3/8/2012 8:11:35 PM   
Hood_Man

One thing I like to do on the internet is quote somebody, highlight the bits that I'm not replying to, delete them, and therefore produce a much smaller post at the end of it.

I see it as the internet forum equivalent of putting the toilet seat down.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Notting Hill Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI