Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Notting Hill

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> Notting Hill Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Notting Hill - 12/6/2012 11:31:14 PM   
moviebuff73

another fav is notting hill. just a classic, nuff said.

EDIT - welcome to the forums moviebuff73, but can you please list the name of the movie in question in your title rather than just start a number of threads with the same title? Thanks!

< Message edited by sharkboy -- 13/6/2012 9:56:55 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Notting Hill - 9/7/2012 7:54:57 PM   
filmfanatic123

Racist piece of self-appreciating shit.

In my opinion.

Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

(in reply to moviebuff73)
Post #: 2
RE: Notting Hill - 11/7/2012 10:43:00 PM   
rubadub

Piece of shit will do.

(in reply to filmfanatic123)
Post #: 3
RE: Notting Hill - 12/7/2012 7:29:05 AM   
homersimpson_esq

I like it!

I knew a girl called Pandora...

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to rubadub)
Post #: 4
RE: Notting Hill - 31/7/2012 7:45:05 PM   
snaze1

quote:

ORIGINAL: filmfanatic123

In my opinion.

Racist??????

< Message edited by snaze1 -- 2/8/2012 6:24:49 PM >

Post #: 5
RE: Notting Hill - 1/8/2012 12:52:11 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: snaze1

quote:

Racist??????

In my opinion.

Ok I am a bit lost here how is Notting Hill racist?

It is one of the better of those post-four weddings romcoms, features one of Roberts more credible performances, and Ifans is awesome in it (oh wait is that the racist part!?) and is quite touching imo.

(in reply to snaze1)
Post #: 6
RE: Notting Hill - 1/8/2012 6:25:54 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

In my opinion.

I love Notting Hill. Rom Com's aren't usually my thing but when Curtis is on the ball he can really deliver.

Rhys Ifans will forever be Spike though

Post #: 7
RE: Notting Hill - 1/8/2012 6:47:45 PM   
rawlinson

Notting Hill got a lot of criticism because Curtis essentially did a bit of cinematic ethnic cleansing, taking a very racially diverse area, naming the film after the area, and then making the film exclusively about rich white people. I don't think the film would have been landed with the racist tag if he'd called it something more realistic, like A Couple of Annoying Twats, but specifically naming it after the area, and then missing out the diversity, did raise more than a few eyebrows.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 8
RE: Notting Hill - 1/8/2012 8:43:53 PM   
ElephantBoy

^ Okay but that does happen a lot in these sorts of british romances, but the point is it is not a film about muticulturism it is a story of a realtionship between two people from completely different ends of the social ladder, this is just like when the French complained that Amerie provided a over glossy view of Paris, get over it!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 9
RE: Notting Hill - 1/8/2012 11:02:56 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

^ Okay but that does happen a lot in these sorts of british romances, but the point is it is not a film about muticulturism it is a story of a realtionship between two people from completely different ends of the social ladder, this is just like when the French complained that Amerie provided a over glossy view of Paris, get over it!

No, it's nothing alike. One is called Amelie, it's specifically about the lead character. The other is named after the place. If you name a film after a location, then you're saying the film is as much about the place as the people. None of the critics of the film are saying the film had to be an ode to multiculturism, they're saying that the fact that a very racially diverse area has been whitewashed in a film named after that area bothers them.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 10
RE: Notting Hill - 1/8/2012 11:08:52 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Notting Hill is full of w@nkers.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 11
RE: Notting Hill - 2/8/2012 8:54:44 AM   
Whistler

Notting Hill is great. No idea how anyone can be offended by it.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 12
RE: Notting Hill - 2/8/2012 9:57:03 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

Notting Hill is great. No idea how anyone can be offended by it.

I went abit off-topic.
I was actually talking about the place.

The film is ok though.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 13
RE: Notting Hill - 2/8/2012 3:50:07 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

No, it's nothing alike. One is called Amelie, it's specifically about the lead character. The other is named after the place. If you name a film after a location, then you're saying the film is as much about the place as the people. None of the critics of the film are saying the film had to be an ode to multiculturism, they're saying that the fact that a very racially diverse area has been whitewashed in a film named after that area bothers them.

But just because that is the title of the film doesn't mean that is what the film is about and that is a very dangerous road to go up, just like the Titinic is about love not the story of what happened to the ship. Don't get me wrong its a shit film but its not a shit film because of that reason.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 14
RE: Notting Hill - 2/8/2012 4:35:11 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

quote:

But just because that is the title of the film doesn't mean that is what the film is about and that is a very dangerous road to go up, just like the Titinic is about love not the story of what happened to the ship. Don't get me wrong its a shit film but its not a shit film because of that reason.

Isn't it more dangerous to sweep criticism under the carpet? Especially if it potentially says something unpleasant about the creator?

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 15
RE: Notting Hill - 2/8/2012 6:22:09 PM   
snaze1

quote:

Notting Hill got a lot of criticism because Curtis essentially did a bit of cinematic ethnic cleansing, taking a very racially diverse area, naming the film after the area, and then making the film exclusively about rich white people. I don't think the film would have been landed with the racist tag if he'd called it something more realistic, like A Couple of Annoying Twats, but specifically naming it after the area, and then missing out the diversity, did raise more than a few eyebrows.

Great, another Politically correct idiot who sees "racism" everywhere when there is none and would probably defend REAL racist stuff like "White chicks" because its black people being racist to whites!

< Message edited by snaze1 -- 2/8/2012 6:23:53 PM >

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 16
RE: Notting Hill - 2/8/2012 6:29:39 PM   
matty_b

Yeah, rawlinson you idiot.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to snaze1)
Post #: 17
RE: Notting Hill - 2/8/2012 6:33:23 PM   
snaze1

quote:

quote:

So i suppose by your reasoning the films Beverly hills cop, Pearl harbour and Waterloo are all racist too because they are not all about the multi cultralism of the places they are set in???

What a load of shit

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 18
RE: Notting Hill - 2/8/2012 6:34:03 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

Great, another Politically correct idiot who sees "racism" everywhere when there is none and would probably defend REAL racist stuff like "White chicks" because its black people being racist to whites!

Ok, explain in depth how White Chicks is REAL racism.

(in reply to snaze1)
Post #: 19
RE: Notting Hill - 2/8/2012 6:35:19 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

quote:

So i suppose by your reasoning the films Beverly hills cop, Pearl harbour and Waterloo are all racist too because they are not all about the multi cultralism of the places they are set in???

What a load of shit

Beverly Hills Cop - About the cop. In Beverly Hills.
Pearl Harbour - About the wartime attack. On Pearl Harbour.
Waterloo - About the battle of Waterloo

Do you really need this explained to you or are you just trolling?

(in reply to snaze1)
Post #: 20
RE: Notting Hill - 2/8/2012 6:41:17 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

You know the funniest thing about snaze's revealing rant? I never actually said I thought Notting Hill was racist. I just explained the criticism of the film.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 21
RE: Notting Hill - 2/8/2012 6:58:27 PM   
snaze1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

What a load of shit

quote:

Do you really need this explained to you or are you just trolling?[/quote]

No i dont need it explaining but it appears you need the following explaining to you:
Notting hill - About an actress and a normal guy meeting and falling in love who happen to live in Notting hill!!!!

< Message edited by snaze1 -- 2/8/2012 6:59:08 PM >

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 22
RE: Notting Hill - 2/8/2012 7:01:58 PM   
snaze1

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

You know the funniest thing about snaze's revealing rant? I never actually said I thought Notting Hill was racist. I just explained the criticism of the film.

quote:

I don't think the film would have been landed with the racist tag if he'd called it something more realistic,

Probably because you put " I don't think the film would have been landed with the racist tag if he'd called it something more realistic".

When you write the word "I" it implies you are refering to you and your opinion.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 23
RE: Notting Hill - 2/8/2012 7:06:44 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

What a load of shit

quote:

No i dont need it explaining but it appears you need the following explaining to you:
Notting hill - About an actress and a normal guy meeting and falling in love who happen to live in Notting hill!!!!

So why is Notting Hill the title? What does that say about the film? It's obviously been very specifically chosen.

quote:

Probably because you put " I don't think the film would have been landed with the racist tag if he'd called it something more realistic".

When you write the word "I" it implies you are refering to you and your opinion.

Yes, and my opinion was that by focusing on the people rather than the area the film wouldn't have received as much criticism. Now find where I actually call it racist.

Also, why is White Chicks REAL racism? Is it just because you perceive it to be black on white racism, or do you actually have a reason?

(in reply to snaze1)
Post #: 24
RE: Notting Hill - 2/8/2012 7:11:32 PM   
snaze1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

What a load of shit

quote:

So why is Notting Hill the title? What does that say about the film? It's obviously been very specifically chosen.

quote:

Yes, and my opinion was that by focusing on the people rather than the area the film wouldn't have received as much criticism. Now find where I actually call it racist.

Also, why is White Chicks REAL racism? Is it just because you perceive it to be black on white racism, or do you actually have a reason?

The title is just the title!
Does it really matter what the title is?
Just because it is called Notting hill doesnt mean it has to be "about" Notting hill no more than Die hard has to be about someone "dying hard!
And have you actually seen White chicks?
If you have then i dont really see how you could ask why its racist.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 25
RE: Notting Hill - 2/8/2012 7:15:10 PM   
rawlinson

I'm explaining to you why it got criticism, Notting Hill for many conjures up images of diversity, images that were lacking in the film. That's why the film gets criticised as racist. The title places emphasis on the location. It's really that simple. And I want you to explain why White Chicks is REAL racism. If you're calling it racist then you should be able to explain why.

(in reply to snaze1)
Post #: 26
RE: Notting Hill - 2/8/2012 7:19:54 PM   
snaze1

quote:

I'm explaining to you why it got criticism, Notting Hill for many conjures up images of diversity, images that were lacking in the film. That's why the film gets criticised as racist. The title places emphasis on the location. It's really that simple. And I want you to explain why White Chicks is REAL racism. If you're calling it racist then you should be able to explain why.

Because if you had two white men dressing up as two black women and acting out the stereotypes of that race's gender people and naming it "Black Chicks" everyone would consider that racist and get all up in arms about it?
And that is far more racist in my opinion than a load of pc nonsense about a film that in no way, shape or form was intended to be racist

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 27
RE: Notting Hill - 2/8/2012 7:29:25 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

Because if you had two white men dressing up as two black women and acting out the stereotypes of that race's gender people and naming it "Black Chicks" everyone would consider that racist and get all up in arms about it?

I don't think you've actually seen the film. The jokes aren't about the stereotypes of white women, they're about rich, elite, white women. The Paris Hilton's of the world. It's not about a gender or race of women, it's about a certain section of society. And having characters dress up as characters of another race doesn't automatically make a film racist, having two black men dressed up as two white women can have much to say about gender, race and social class. And the reverse has been done. Or are we conveniently ignoring Robert Downey Jr's Oscar nomination for playing a character blacking up in Tropic Thunder? White Chicks doesn't work as a film, at all, but a film isn't racist simply because it has a character playing a character of a different race.

quote:

And that is far more racist in my opinion than a load of pc nonsense about a film that in no way, shape or form was intended to be racist

So because something doesn't intend to be racist it means it can't be racist? There's no such thing as unintentional racism?

(in reply to snaze1)
Post #: 28
RE: Notting Hill - 2/8/2012 7:34:59 PM   
homersimpson_esq

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 29
RE: Notting Hill - 2/8/2012 7:37:23 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

If you posted a picture of him when his skin got lighter Snaze would lose his mind.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> Notting Hill Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI